Awoo.

Realism in Sonic Games

Chaos Warp

Well, if there are going to be named members of GUN, they could do with some cartoonying up. As far as generic soldiers go, they don't need to, and arguably shouldn't, be particularly unique or eye-catching, so Mr. Generic Adult Male in his generic military gear kind of works. Plus, I think the rendering has a lot to do with it; it's kind of got that Pixar feel even if it doesn't match up to the cartoonish caricature designs.

I'll be frank. Every time someone says cartoony in this thread, i die a bit inside. The modern redesign is a more physically developed Sonic in a manga art style the way i see it, so semi-realisticness is perfectly fine the same way it is in anime.
Psst: Anime is cartoons. And unless you're dealing with something super-serious (or something that thinks it's super-serious), you're going to find some cartoony looking people. Edited by Diogenes

Yeah its the named humans like the G.U.N Commander and the President that need a redesign because they look fucking hideous

(if anyone could grab a screenshot of them somewhere, thatd be awesome)

"Perfect"

The picture and some videos I've seen don't tickle me fancy. In fact I consider the original in S&K to be better, but even then the colours are still to dull entrance me.

I'm not that big a fan of the visual style of the world introduced in Unleashed. The problem I have with it is that I would personally describe it as "inoffensive". It's basically a textbook cartoonification of real world locations. It looks nice enough but it doesn't really bring anything remarkable to the table, there's nothing striking about it.

Battalion-wars.jpg

Cartoony enough to be alongside Sonic, but soldier enough to still fuck your shit up.

Sorry but I find that to be a little too cartoony.

It only LOOKS cartoony because of the character design. But the clothing itself is mostly realistic.

It only LOOKS cartoony because of the character design. But the clothing itself is mostly realistic.

In doesn't matter. The shape of that soldier itself is ridiculously disproportioned. It reminds me of the sonic riders models. If that didn't look good on them, why would it look good on humans?

In doesn't matter. The shape of that soldier itself is ridiculously disproportioned. It reminds me of the sonic riders models. If that didn't look good on them, why would it look good on humans?

• Thumbs Up 4

I don't really like the Unleashed humans. People will give me that one argument, which's name I can't remember, I know that xD They're nicely designed and all, but I felt Sonic looked odd next to them. I prefer the Adventure era humans by a lot.

Those ShTH GUN soldiers look very Pixarish without taking it to far. I'd be OK with that.

06's were just all around terrible.

Edited by MarcelloF
  • Thumbs Up 1

Adventure humans looked too generic for my taste, not as generic as 06, but still very bland looking and unappealing.

Unleashed humans actually look varied and full personality rather than having the same dull expression all the time.

• Thumbs Up 2

Ignoring the fact that all the animal characters in Sonic are hugely disproportioned, and even out of proportion to each other (see Rouge, Vanilla, Classic vs Modern), disproportion works absolutle fine on the humans.

Disproportional in the sense when characters look awkward and goofy. Which is why I was referencing Riders models (Big hands & feet, small face). Disproportion in that sense looks strange on anybody, no matter the species. I just like the idea of sonic living with humans that look close to us or the anime style like Maria / Sharah. I always thought that made the series more unique. Just like SA2's art style how it's not in your face with this is a cartoony world. I'd prefer if instead of making the worlds cartoony and beautiful, just make it beautiful and cool. Only because I like the idea of sonic being more unique.

• Thumbs Up 1

Disproportional in the sense when characters look awkward and goofy. Which is why I was referencing Riders models (Big hands & feet, small face). Disproportion in that sense looks strange on anybody, no matter the species. I just like the idea of sonic living with humans that look close to us or the anime style like Maria / Sharah. I always thought that made the series more unique. Just like SA2's art style how it's not in your face with this is a cartoony world. I'd prefer if instead of making the worlds cartoony and beautiful, just make it beautiful and cool. Only because I like the idea of sonic being more unique.

• Thumbs Up 2

Well, i dont think there are that many series that has both manga/anime inspired characters and characters based on traditional western cartoon characters.

Not saying that that if what i personally prefer, just that lounge has a point.

Just so we're clear, Anime is a Cartoon, kay? What lounge hates is the cartoony style associated with Unleashed and prefers the Anime/Manga style, but its no different because its still a damn cartoon.

Just so we're clear, Anime is a Cartoon, kay? What lounge hates is the cartoony style associated with Unleashed and prefers the Anime/Manga style, but its no different because its still a damn cartoon.

What is your point? I know perfectly well that anime is a type of cartoon, but that doesn't change the fact that typical anime-characters looks a whole lot different from traditional western cartoon characters of the Felix the Cat type, the latter being the style that Sonic and the other funny animal characters in the series are based on.

What is your point? I know perfectly well that anime is a type of cartoon, but that doesn't change the fact that typical anime-characters looks a whole lot different from traditional western cartoon characters of the Felix the Cat type, the latter being the style that Sonic and the other funny animal characters in the series are based on.

My point is that he said that he hated the cartoony style associated with the series, but isn't Anime just as cartoony?

M

Which is why he separated it in anime and traditional western cartoon style.

He claimed he hated cartoon style in general, while praising the anime style.

So it's just a question of terminology then. Well, i think it's clear that when lounge says "cartoony" he is not simply meaning "styles that can be found in cartoons" (which would of course include styles found in japanese cartoons as well) but rather a more specific style usually found in western cartoons.

There, now lets consider this question cleared up.

I wondered when this topic would delve into the depth of human discussion. :P

Personally, I think they couldn't have picked a better style for the human characters come Unleashed. Sonic is, for all intents and purposes, a character of American design. His Modern look might borrow a few more a few more anime stylings (well, the eyes at least), but ultimately he's still very American looking and he blends with similarly styled humans. Seeing him against more realistic folk, like those in SA2 and 06 is jarring. SA1 perhaps isn't so bad with it's anime characters, it's just not as fitting as the Unleashed ones.

Edited by Blue Blood

So it's just a question of terminology then. Well, i think it's clear that when lounge says "cartoony" he is not simply meaning "styles that can be found in cartoons" (which would of course include styles found in japanese cartoons as well) but rather a more specific style usually found in western cartoons.

There, now lets consider this question cleared up.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

I wondered when this topic would delve into the depth of human discussion. tongue.png

Personally, I think they couldn't have picked a better style for the human characters come Unleashed. Sonic is, for all intents and purposes, a character of American design. His Modern look might borrow a few more a few more anime stylings (well, the eyes at least), but ultimately he's still very American looking and he blends with similarly styled humans. Seeing him against more realistic folk, like those in SA2 and 06 is jarring. SA1 perhaps isn't so bad with it's anime characters, it's just not as fitting as the Unleashed ones.