Awoo.

Realism in Sonic Games

Chaos Warp

But I don't approve of segregation of storyline and gameplay. It's just absurd that loops appear in gameplay, but they are nonexistant in the actual locations. I'd rather have ST briefly show a pack of brats trying to go round a loop on a milder form of EX Gear than be content with random objects appearing and disappearing when they are convenient. But it doesn't matter much.

I'm not sure if it belongs to this topic, (probably it doesn't,) but just think about it: Sonic's world is plagued by so many monsters, cataclysms, space fleas and whatnot at last every year, but we don't see people complaining about it. We've seen that humans lead normal lives and have families, but with such an amount of danger shouldn't there be more orphans and people who lost family members?

Not that I'm agreeing with the no humans suggestion, but that's a silly reason. Eggman may well be a human, but he's been there since day one and is kinda on a different level.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

I think that more attractive (or standing out) characters would be designed more like Shahra. Otherwise, more like the Unleashed humans. Seriously, Unleashed humans fit so well with the Sonic characters, I am having a hard time seeing the Sonic universe with any other kind of humans without looking really odd. And I think the reason they mesh so well is because the fact that they have exaggerated proportions, emotions, and expressions, but enough to be believable, and the exaggeration just emphasizes how "human" and full of personality the people are.

Plus, it allows them to be in cartoony situations without looking terribly out of place.

And? The fact that he was there on day one is irrelevant to the fact that he's a human and if we are to have no humans then Eggman has to go by the simple fact that he is one. It makes a huge hole in the logic of no humans.

Edited by Azukara

Of course they don't complain! If they did complain, that would mean they were quite obviously possessed! /unleashedmentality

Sonic's world is one of inconsistent design (Grand Metropolis vs Central City), and one where everything is taken as "all's well that ends well". Like Sation Sqaure is destoryed and flooded at the end of SA1, but since the big bad was defeated everything is back to normal. That's an issue of story execution and tone more than it has anything to do with realism.

Oh, that quote DX Now I remembered what Tails said after Shadow sacrificed his own life to save the planet and the saddest music in the games' history played : "All I know is that WE ALL DID IT TOGETHER! :D" Everybody is sad, but he's all happy and completely butchers the atmosphere. I understand it's a game for younger audience, but really...

Returning to the topic, I actually prefer SatBK's folk to SU or S06's humans. That's because they don't stand out so much.

Returning to the topic, I actually prefer SatBK's folk to SU or S06's humans. That's because they don't stand out so much.
  • Thumbs Up 2

When people talk "realism" in a videogame, what they usually mean are the little details that all come together to bring an experience to life, immersing us so effectively in its world that, in a way, it becomes real.

In that sense, I'd say Unleashed is about as "real" as any Sonic game yet has come, with Generations apparently looking to push that envelope further. To me, the more intricate attention to detail a game has, the better.

I... uh, what? SatBK didn't even have humans, it had "Towns People" who were more plant than human.

0016_sonic_and_the_black_knight.png

Their bio reads:

They're also hideous.

I think she means Merlina.

I think she means Merlina.

In which case, why doesn't she say so? We've had plenty of discussion about her and Shara's designs already.

And? The fact that he was there on day one is irrelevant to the fact that he's a human and if we are to have no humans then Eggman has to go by the simple fact that he is one. It makes a huge hole in the logic of no humans.

It be no different if someone were to say "no animals". And even if one wants to argue that him being around in the beginning is relevant, then the fact that we had a human in the beginning in ther first place negates the "no human" mindset completely. We started with just a man and a hedgehog, with no foxes, echidnas, bats, cats, and such, so I'd like to see someone justify those when those came after the human and hedgehog.

No, it's just a shameless double standard.

No, it's just a shameless double standard.

That's...pretty much what my post just said in detail.

Either way, that's not something I find acceptable with very little justifying why we shouldn't have humans.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

I... uh, what? SatBK didn't even have humans, it had "Towns People" who were more plant than human.

0016_sonic_and_the_black_knight.png

Their bio reads:

They're also hideous.

I know they're not humans, that's why I called them folk. And IMO they are not hideous. I love those elf ears and funny tattoo-ed faces. And they're so short. Merlina is also a plant-girl, by the way.

I guess I like them more than most of humans and humanoids in the games because I really love orginality and these plants are surely more unique than just some people.

I prefer things to be cute and cartoony. Cute rules. Lots of inviting colours and aesthetically pleasing visuals; all nice and cuddly. There's enough gritty shit out there as it is (look what they did to Spyro, haha) XP. Works even better if you provide a contrast between the cartoony organic life and the cold machines of Robotnik.

I also found the little plant people in SatBK interesting. According to the gallery, they breathe in Carbon Dioxide and breathe out oxygen, just like plants and they were designed to embody the spirit of the forest. The way a lot of them make their settlements out in wild areas such as near active volcanic areas and in dense woodland gives them a unique ruggedness and adaptability. Considering they live in a storybook world, I think that excuses their "weirdness" compared to other more realistic NPC's in Sonic's world.

Regarding the "townsfolk" of Sonic and the Black Knight, it didn't occur to me until it was mentioned that they were forest spirits that there may be some air of fantasy that could be tapped into the series. I understand that was a storybook spin-off, but keep in mind that, at least in origin, Chao are essentially "water spirits," taking the visual form of water droplets. And we ought to remember that Chaos, the God of Destruction who's made almost entirely of water, is in fact a mutated Chao who spent too much time around the emeralds.

What if we had some more elemental "spirit creatures" in the series? Not necessarily ones we can raise as pets, but ones that could play a part in a future plot, or serve as NPCs or even replace the little animals that Eggman stuffs into his robots? Maybe he could use some "fire spirits" to power his badniks instead of energy cores or whatever it is he uses nowadays?

Edited by Indigo Generations

Regarding the "townsfolk" of Sonic and the Black Knight, it didn't occur to me until it was mentioned that they were forest spirits that there may be some air of fantasy that could be tapped into the series. I understand that was a storybook spin-off, but keep in mind that, at least in origin, Chao are essentially "water spirits," taking the visual form of water droplets. And we ought to remember that Chaos, the God of Destruction who's made almost entirely of water, is in fact a mutated Chao who spent too much time around the emeralds.

What if we had some more elemental "spirit creatures" in the series? Not necessarily ones we can raise as pets, but ones that could play a part in a future plot, or serve as NPCs or even replace the little animals that Eggman stuffs into his robots? Maybe he could use some "fire spirits" to power his badniks instead of energy cores or whatever it is he uses nowadays?

If we get Fire Spirits, We have to have Blaze and the Sol Emeralds, and Iblis

Iblis and his minions are erased from time itself, Generations notwithstanding. Besides, what did you have in mind for fire spirits? I just figured they'd be the antithesis to Chao.

Iblis and his minions are erased from time itself, Generations notwithstanding. Besides, what did you have in mind for fire spirits? I just figured they'd be the antithesis to Chao.

Chao are connected to Chaos

Fire Spirits would be connected to Iblis

But Iblis is not connected to the Sol Emeralds.

Chao are connected to Chaos who is connected to the Chaos Emeralds.

It'd make sense that whatever said fire spirits are, they'd be connected to the Sol Emeralds and whatever guardian they'd have.

I can kind of get with this spirits thing. Might be nice to have a consistent fantasy thing to contrast the sci-fi stuff (the emeralds kind of used to be this, but they've been overused and analyzed to the point where they seem more like a natural force than a mystical one).

• Thumbs Up 1

But Iblis is not connected to the Sol Emeralds.

Chao are connected to Chaos who is connected to the Chaos Emeralds.

It'd make sense that whatever said fire spirits are, they'd be connected to the Sol Emeralds and whatever guardian they'd have.

Isn't Blaze already the guardian on the Sol Emeralds?

Even though it may be strange, Blaze could be her dimensions Chaos...I think.

So then, Fire Spirits - Blaze - Sol Emeralds.

No, Blaze is her dimension's Knuckles. tongue.png

Combined with Sonic and Shadow.

Super fast? Check.

Boost? Check.

Projectile attacks? Check(?)

Anti-social? Check.

Angsty? Sorta-check.

You get the message. Isn't she just a mish-mash of things? laugh.png

But at any rate, what's another thing regarding realism in games? We've gotten real world locales, humans and I can't think of anything else.