Awoo.

The Kingdom Hearts Series: KINGDOM HEARTS 4 ANNOUNCED! STAR WARS POTENTIALLY TEASED (page 175)

KHCast

Well they could just use Toy Story 3 alone if they wanted. 

And yeah Lotso would be so awesome for a fight, but I think the trash destructor thing that was sucking woody and the gang in heartless-fied could also be neat.

also about the trailer, apparently the trailer isn't all the footage that will be shown at Japan's D23, so perhaps a playable demo at the event and the KH event? Or a on stage  demo?

that would be amazing. Plus it would be extremely satisfying the beat the shit out of the little bastard. Sorry, but I really hate Lotso. Lol.

Oh, I hate Lotso too, theirs plenty of Disney Villains I would love to personally slap around myself.

I'm still mad we didn't get to personally beat the hell out of Frollo in DDD, I hated that particular villain the most out of every Disney baddie.

• Thumbs Up 1

Because it feels way too edgy and angsty for me, which is obvious when the 50% of the game is based of Final Fantasy. Believe me I have this friend who has played these KH games to death and I have seen enough of it;

-The concept feels dumb. Combination of Disney & FF? That sounds like a concept for a ordinary Deviantart fanfiction. How can you mix up something as goofy as Disney and something as FF?

Now some people might note at this point that "Disney can be dark too!". Okay, sure. but that's the problem. Why wasn't it dark in KH? Besides, most of Disney's dark

themes descend from European fairy tales anyway.

- The characters are annoying. Not only does the main character Sora look and sound annoying for me, but also why characters like Donald Duck and Goofy act way too serious? They could've used these characters more as comedic relief, but now they're just trying to be serious.

- In the first sentence I complained this series to be angsty and edgy. By now you might be thinking what I mean by that. Let me try to explain;

When I personally consider a video game "dark", it has to be dark. This contains elements of horror, ambient, surrealism, bleak in general. I'd like to give a demonstration from another video game which I consider handles this well; https://youtu.be/fx3fK5kve-M?t=192

In Red Alert 1 Soviet campaign, your first mission is to exterminate a village of partisans and civilians. If that doesn't sound bleak enough, look at the mission ending cutscene.

NOW edgy & angsty has elements of dark .. But they have added themes like romance, depression, angst in general. This is not how I view a dark game.

Um...okay, well not sure where this "KH is trying to be angsty and dark" thing is coming from, but I never felt like that. It's not trying to pull a Shadown the Hedgehog. And the reason it's not as dark as some classic Disney films is, well, cause Disney over time has changed. What they find suitable or appropriate for younger audiences isn't the same. The game is still a E rated game with a heavy emphasis on the Disney. KH'a goal was never to be a dark series, let's not also forget this. It has its serious elements, and it can get sad,  but they aren't dark and unsettling. So it's not required to adhere to expectations of what dark and edgy supposedly is.

just about everything else you had a problem with is subjective. I personally find Sora decent in most of the titles, Riku is a excellently developed character throughout the franchise,Mickey is cool, Namine and Roxas are also well written and deep characters, Terra, Aqua and Ven each have something interesting about them(yes even Terra even though I dislike him), and Axel/Lea's friendship with Roxas was very interesting to see. Yeah there's more, but my point is, the characters aren't all so one off and shallow like some say.

-you finding the concept dumb is also very subjective. Me, along with others were weirded out by it at first yeah, but were surprised by how well they blended elements from both franchises.

in my opinion watching your friend play it unless you've watched him play the entire franchise from 1 to 3D, isn't really as good as trying them out yourself. You aren't experiencing anything yourself, and only really have a narrow view of things. It also gives you less ground to pronounce things against people that have actually played the series since the first game.

Edited by KHCast
  • Thumbs Up 2

Now some people might note at this point that "Disney can be dark too!". Okay, sure. but that's the problem. Why wasn't it dark in KH?

Kingdom Hearts 1. Maleficent's whole role is pretty disturbing when you consider the way she gradually turns Riku against Sora. There's even a moment where she leans in and touches his cheek-- it's CREEPY, and they play her up as a manipulative, and cunning villain up until her inevitable defeat.

I wouldn't say every Disney world in KH is goofy, either. Some, like Tron, stay very faithful to the tone of the movies.

- The characters are annoying. Not only does the main character Sora look and sound annoying for me, but also why characters like Donald Duck and Goofy act way too serious? They could've used these characters more as comedic relief, but now they're just trying to be serious.

Becuase there are serious circumstances? And even then, Donald and Goofy ARE comedic relief. If you want to point fingers at a Disney character who's serious, look at Mickey. Mickey in KH suffers from survivor's guilt over the events of Birth by Sleep, and his whole character arc involves his failure to save a) Terra from becoming possessed by the big bad, B) Aqua being lost to the Realm of Darkness, and c) Ven becoming comatose.

Also, half of KH2's plot is Disney comedic relief thanks to Pete.

When I personally consider a video game "dark", it has to be dark. This contains elements of horror, ambient, surrealism, bleak in general. I'd like to give a demonstration from another video game which I consider handles this well;

https://youtu.be/fx3fK5kve-M?t=192

In Red Alert 1 Soviet campaign, your first mission is to exterminate a village of partisans and civilians. If that doesn't sound bleak enough, look at the mission ending cutscene.

NOW edgy & angsty has elements of dark .. But they have added themes like romance, depression, angst in general. This is not how I view a dark game

But what if the "angst" is justified? Take Riku, the best developed character in the series. Because he was so easily manipulated, he wound up playing right into the villain's hands. Then he got possessed and his own body was used against him. His own shortcomings weighed him down, and even then, he worked hard to overcome his guilt and mistakes. Yes, he's a bit sullen during Days, but he's not just "oh woe is me." He's determined. He's proactive, and he develops.

With Xion, she has to deal with the fact that her continued existence may cause a) her own best friend to die and B) prevent Sora from ever waking up when the worlds depend on her. She finds out she's being used as a pawn by the Organization. Plus, there are some DISTURBING implications, such as the way Xemnas ends up taking her while she's unconscious and reprogramming her with her final boss forms, the scene where Saïx pits her and Roxas against each other using an illusion in hopes that one kills the other...

Xehanort, oh, implanting bits of himself into people's bodies which essentially robs them of their sense of self.

And even in its darkest moments, KH has lighter scenes to balance the stakes and the circumstances.

• Thumbs Up 3

I've always liked Kingdom Hearts, but lately, after replaying all the games (except for 358/2 Days, and Re:Coded), and having read the KH 1 Manga, and the first 2 volumes of the KH2 manga, I've seriously grown to appreciate Kingdom Hearts a lot more. Jak 3 is my all time favourite game, but Kingdom Hearts 2 is up there for me as well. 

Replaying the games, It's just so hard to believe how much I've grown to appreciate them, especially now that I've grown as a gamer, I can actually look back and appreciate a lot of things featured in the games. KH 2.5 HD Remix was the first time I've fully replayed KH2 start to finish since my first playthrough. Sure I've played it here and there after the first time, but I didn't complete it. But replaying it back in December when 2.5 HD Remix came out really made me love the game. The graphics are seriously top notch for the time.

The soundtrack is honestly one of my favourites in gaming. I fucking adore the OSTs in this game. Some of my personal favourites being: 

Going even further, some of the other games OSTs are personal favourites. I love Xion's theme, and I especially love this:

Then there's the story and characters. Everyone always makes jokes and shit about Kingdom Hearts' story and characters, but I honestly can't take them seriously. Some of these characters' arcs are just written so well in my opinion. Characters like Roxas for example. I fucking felt for him during Kingdom Hearts 2's prologue as we see him and his friends' relationships slowly crumble before his eyes while he's treated as a pawn in Diz's game of revenge. Another arc was Namine's. She's legitimately one of my favourite characters in the game and her arc of being treated as nothing, and wanting the best for Sora/Roxas was another great one.

Now you guys might be wondering what sparked this? Simple. The Kingdom Hearts 2 Manga. Seeing the events of Roxas' time in Virtual Twlight Town alone made me feel even more for his story. You want to know what I mean, imagine taking the events in the game, upping the ante, and giving Roxas and his friends even more personality, only for it to totally break apart right in front of Roxas' eyes, and you have it right there.

Sorry to quote you twice, this website is really hard to use on mobile.

Firstly I have to say you are now my favorite person ever right now. I have been playing Kingdom Hearts since I was 5 and it wasn't until Days came out that I really appreciated the series. It's because of Kingdom Hearts why I am the way that I am today, and is the reason why I'm into Anime and Video Games and why I want to become a writer/concept artist for video games and whatnot. The beautiful characters in the series really left an impact in my heart. Especially characters like Roxas, where you see him grow during Days and really sympathize with him especially since in the brief year that he's been alive he never understood a thing that was going on because everyone hid the truth from him. In real life people often lie to us and hide things from us, and seeing Roxas' frustration and and anger especially in Kingdom Hearts 2 where he broke the computer and yelled at DiZ just really leaves an impact on you yknow? Roxas is one of my favorite characters along with Sora, Riku and practically everyone else. Playing the games also taught me a lot on how to I guess cope with life if that makes sense. That there's a light at the end of the tunnel no matter what and it's always worth it in the end. The series made me laugh, and it made me cry. It's just one of those special games that will always have a special place in my heart.

And don't get me started on the music. Basically every track gives me chills. I think one of the most powerful songs boss battle wise is The Other Promise when you fight Roxas. It's just so sad but it's also angry, which really shows you all the pain Roxas had to go through watching every single change he had at life just crumble before him. He as well as Xion, fought so hard to be their own person but in the end they had to give up. I'd certainly love to talk more about this but I sorta realized just now I'm just going off randomly here. It's just oh man there's so much to talk about how much I love Kingdom Hearts that I can't write a piece of it down right now.

also, going to what someone said about KH not being insanely dark and edgy... Kingdom Hearts is an E10 rated game. It's not Call of Duty or anything. (That being said, it does have deep tragedy and dark moments... Just not insane blood and gore and adult themes. I dunno, just my opinion anyway.)

• Thumbs Up 1

Considering KH: Unchained releases in less than a week for Japan, why the hell have we not gotten a release date for anywhere else yet? (Why does Japan need to get it first anyway? FFXV and KH3 are apparently getting global releases, so shouldn't be that hard for a mobile game of all things to have one)

Considering KH: Unchained releases in less than a week for Japan, why the hell have we not gotten a release date for anywhere else yet? (Why does Japan need to get it first anyway? FFXV and KH3 are apparently getting global releases, so shouldn't be that hard for a mobile game of all things to have one)

Well I believe the battle system is slightly different for the Western games (it's medals instead of cards or something like that) it's still ridiculous that Japan is getting it first but oh well. It's easy to download it outside of Japan but if there's no setting to change the language to English I'd rather wait.

• Thumbs Up 1

Don't we usually have to wait forever for Kingdom Hearts release dates anyway?

I remember Birth By Sleep and 3D taking a while

Yeah, but this is a mobile phone game. I thought it wouldn't need to go through the usual crap.

Same here, it should have a worldwide release date but at least KH3 is apparently gonna get a worldwide release. I rather have that than anything.

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome. So I might get to play through Kingdom Hearts 2 and Birth Before Sleep now. Hopefully Dream Drop Distance will be part of it.

Edit: Wait a tick..

"Kingdom Hearts III" (PS4, Xbox One) Development (10 Months )
Original-level planning, documentation and execution for 2 Worlds
INCLUDING enemy, Item, secrets and event Management
-Mockup Creation of 3 Worlds INCLUDING temporary Asset Creation
-Game idea planning and documentation
-Game Check and balance
-Enemy planning and documentation
-Gummi Ship system planning and documentation
-Multiplayer planning and documentation
-Attraction Flow planning and documentation
-Main Scenario planning for 2 Worlds
-Various in-Game dialogue writing
-Translation and Interpretation of Contact Between Involved English and Japanese parties INCLUDING Disney and Pixar
-Publicity video Recording and editing
-Communication with Outsourced companies
-Holding Meetings with Disney and Pixar
-Team Management, Meeting Management and Proceeding Recordings

http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/shocked/open-mouth-surprised-smiley-emoticon.png

Edited by Marcello

If it is a release, I'm happy as I was hoping we'd see the KH remasters come to PS4. Hope it has all the games though rather than just 2.5 HD Remix.

"Kingdom Hearts 2.9" (PS3, PS4) Development (10 Months)
 -Game idea planning and documentation
 -Game Check and balance
 -Boss planning
 -Attraction Flow planning and documentation

Including a KH3 demo too?

If this ends up being the remixes for the PS4 i will be very upset because I just bought a PS3 to play them last week... OTL

And on another note.

no i totally don't have too much Kingdom Hearts stuff on my profile.

But anyway, I say we'll hear about Kingdom Hearts Final Mix HD 2.9 Big Bang Electric Boogaloo Ultra Combo Arcade Special Edition 2.0 at TGS, along with hopefully some news on Kingdom Heart Unchained's release date.

Just FYI guys, this apparently isn't new news. The game anyway itself.

"It should be noted that this is not the first time Kingdom Hearts 2.9 has been seen before, as it was shown on Square Enix Presents' E3 2015 schedule right on the showroom floor, but was later removed and the mysterious title remained unmentioned during the event." -khinsider

Can't you get a return on the PS3? I thought there was a return policy.

Well I bought it at a flea market for 100$. GameStop sells it for 160$ and if I were to return it I'd just get like 40$ back which is freaking stupid.

It's for the PS3 and PS4, so I'm assuming it's just a digital version of DDD HD.

If that was the case that's what it would be called.

This is probably the collection with all the games in one package.

It's either 1.5-2.5 with additional stuff(3D, BBSV2), or just 3D and BBSV2 and maybe a demo of KH3 for PS4 users, while PS3 maybe gets a exclusive trailer or something.

It's either 1.5-2.5 with additional stuff(3D, BBSV2), or just 3D and BBSV2 and maybe a demo of KH3 for PS4 users, while PS3 maybe gets a exclusive trailer or something.

Remind me, what's BBSV2?