Awoo.

General Nintendo sales/business discussion topic (previously: The Wii U Thread)

Tatsumaki

It'll certainly be interesting to see what each third party does with the online system without restrictions in place. Maybe the third parties could even come up with something to keep the kids out of 18/M rated online games :lol:

Maybe, maybe not, but the whole "open infrastructure" thing is certainly gonna be a huge incentive for third parties - Microsoft's "control freak" attitude concerning Live has left more than a few third parties rather disgruntled, especially Valve. We already know that the Wii U has pretty much done away with friend codes (despite what that article says are the bottom, eurogamer are being idiots again), and they're working on allowing voice chat for online games, and that's all I'll ever need for online, personally - anything else is up to the publishers and developers of specific games.

Edited by Masaru Daimon

Stupid? Including DVD playback functionality is COMPLETELY POINTLESS. Everyone and their dog has a DVD player in some shape or form, for pete's sake, I cannot fathom how a game console not having DVD playback is actually an issue in this day and age. I don't buy my game consoles for playing movies, and if I ever bother to get a PS3, it won't be for the Blu-Ray, either (my laptop already does that shit).

I don't know about you, but I feel as if having some sort of multimedia functionality on a game console is mandatory in this day and, especially if you're going to try to lure customers away from their competitors that HAVE THOSE FEATURES!

Not to mention that I see it as a missed opportunity to make the Wii U into something of a portably DVD player.

Not to mention that I see it as a missed opportunity to make the Wii U into something of a portably DVD player.

So you'd rather put a DVD into a machine that's plugged to the big screen and stream it to your controller instead of putting a DVD into a machine that's plugged to the big screen and watch it on the big screen?

Sounds incredibly pointless to me.

So you'd rather put a DVD into a machine that's plugged to the big screen and stream it to your controller instead of putting a DVD into a machine that's plugged to the big screen and watch it on the big screen?

Sounds incredibly pointless to me.

You could say the same thing about games, couldn't you?

You could, but games on the Wii U aren't going to mainly be about streaming the entire game to the controller. It's also about granting games interactive features. The devs of Assassin's Creed already confirmed that on the Wii U the main draw of the game would be a map interface on the controller, using the Eagle Vision, the ability to switch weapons on it, puzzles to be solved on the screen, a database of the game's information and the like.

That, and the fact that portable DVD players DO exist.

The devs of Assassin's Creed already confirmed that on the Wii U the main draw of the game would be a map interface on the controller, using the Eagle Vision, the ability to switch weapons on it, puzzles to be solved on the screen, a database of the game's information and the like.

Nothing too significant tough, that would really enhance the game.

That's really not the point though, and developers will certainly find intuitive ways to use the controller.

That's really not the point though, and developers will certainly find intuitive ways to use the controller.

So far the only feature I really would like for games, is that the controller/display knows where you are pointing at the room.Also another feature I really like, is being able to draw and then have it on the big screen,not really game related tough.

Edited by ChikaBoing

Ghost Recon Online, for example.

There are so many potentially awesome ways the controller could be used, I'm sure of it.

Edited by Masaru Daimon

You could, but games on the Wii U aren't going to mainly be about streaming the entire game to the controller. It's also about granting games interactive features. The devs of Assassin's Creed already confirmed that on the Wii U the main draw of the game would be a map interface on the controller, using the Eagle Vision, the ability to switch weapons on it, puzzles to be solved on the screen, a database of the game's information and the like.
Sure, but just streaming the game to the controller is a valid feature, enough that it was the first thing they even showed us. It's a nice feature to have, and it would've been nice to be able to do it with movies, too.

One thing tough, the Wii U will be one of the hardest Nintendo systems to sell on me tough. The only thing I would want this console badly is because of 1st Party games, with other Nintendo systems it was more than that.

• Thumbs Up 1

Apparently screenshots of the console and control were taken (if someone didn't already beat me to the punch) and I will now share...

wiiuback.jpg

198588.jpg

198398.jpg

198399.jpg

What concerns me is the lack of an ethernet port on the back... although there is a HDMI and a lone USB

Well Wii only handled wireless connections exclusively as well if I recall. It doesn't bother me that much since pulling those cables to my router/broadband is too much of a hassle and the only thing I have using wired connection is my old 360 since it has no wi-fi capabilities.

Still a pretty odd choice, I'd figure it'd be an easy option to implement.

Well Wii only handled wireless connections exclusively as well if I recall. It doesn't bother me that much since pulling those cables to my router/broadband is too much of a hassle and the only thing I have using wired connection is my old 360 since it has no wi-fi capabilities.

Still a pretty odd choice, I'd figure it'd be an easy option to implement.

Seeing how my router was also on my entertainment center alongside my consoles, I rather AT LEAST have the option for wired without having to get a Ethernet to USB cable like I had to with the Wii. I rather have a stable wired connection than a slower, less stable wireless. If the Wifi does support wireless N, than I may not mind as much.

Edited by LunarEdge

Stupid? Including DVD playback functionality is COMPLETELY POINTLESS. Everyone and their dog has a DVD player in some shape or form, for pete's sake, I cannot fathom how a game console not having DVD playback is actually an issue in this day and age.

Remember that bit early on in the thread about how Nintendo would have to offer more than just game functionalty to reasonably expect to compete directly with Sony and Microsoft? Remember how the Gamecube failed at least partially because they didn't bother doing it back in 2001?

Basic multimedia functionality is a must for a game console these days, whether you use it or not. Not an option. Not a pleasant bonus. Pulling shit like this, and the "it uses obvious copies of Blu Ray discs but won't actually play Blu Ray movies" shell game does not lend itself well to the idea that Nintendo has learned from its mistakes of the past.

Nor does this:

So Nintendo's online system won't be like Live or PSN in the way of a singular, "fixed" system, Nintendo will allow third parties to do whatever the hell they want, as far as online infrastructure goes, probably all of it tied together via a "Wii U Gamertag" system. Valve is gonna love this.

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 1

There was an adapter actually. But much like the Wi-Fi USB Connector it didn't seem to take off that much and I don't think I ever saw many, if any at all in stores.

There was an adapter actually. But much like the Wi-Fi USB Connector it didn't seem to take off that much and I don't think I ever saw many, if any at all in stores.

I don't give a crap if it doesn't play DVDs or Blu-Ray as long as it has good quality games that I could play then I'm fine with it. Besides, I watch a lot of stuff/videos on the Internet anyway than on my TV. Also, if it makes the console all the cheaper then good.

Edited by AdventChild

Apparently screenshots of the console and control were taken (if someone didn't already beat me to the punch) and I will now share...

wiiuback.jpg

198588.jpg

198398.jpg

198399.jpg

What concerns me is the lack of an ethernet port on the back... although there is a HDMI and a lone USB