Awoo.

Sonic storylines

DC111

At first, you don't really understand why he's behaving in such a way, or doing certain things, and it sort of un-nerves you for a bit, until towards the end, where you finally realise what Sonic's intentions and thought processes were.
  • Thumbs Up 2

Yeah, that's one moment in a pile of crappy ones, it hardly stands out, its a good line, but again, it hardly stands out.

I see not one good moment. I like Shadow's part which shows a real growth of his personality after very prolonged strory about tragedy on the Arc.

Yeah, I think Sonic should be a little morally questionable.

At first, you don't really understand why he's behaving in such a way, or doing certain things, and it sort of un-nerves you for a bit, until towards the end, where you finally realise what Sonic's intentions and thought processes were.

Well, there's that Sonic X episode, in which Sonic destroyed Eggman's light-machine-thingies and everyone thought he was doing it just because he dislikes Eggman. Great example, even if not canon. There's actually a LOT I like about Sonic X's characterizations (a lot I don't like too, but for everything they get wrong they get something else right), but that's for another day.

As far as the games-verse, I think Sonic and the Black Knight casts him in a somewhat morally questionable light. At first, the game left many of us thinking, "Why the hell is he fighting for the world to END?" and even now, I'm STILL not quite sure I agree with his motives in that game. There's the obvious justification: you have to live life to the fullest, and having something go on forever would take away its value. And the OTHER obvious justification: the place would have been ruled by a dark queen forever. But still... Sonic's always the one fighting to SAVE the world, not let it meet its end. It's bass-ackwards. Some people might even go as far as to say it's inconsistent to his character, if you ignore the previous two justifications. But the thing is: people don't react the same way all the time, even to similar situations. Sonic was the 'bad guy' in Black Knight; he said as much himself. Yet even though he took a different stance in this game, he was still so Sonic-y, and it was STILL my favorite interpretation of Sonic ever. I don't WANT to quite understand it, because even though I like being able to relate to characters, I don't want it to be to such an extent that they seem perfect and stand for everything I stand for. (Wow, now I'm the one going way too far into detail here.)

EDIT: Lulz for post fail. Deleted irrelevant stuff. Half-wrong-topic-post...?

Edited by DC111

I see not one good moment. I like Shadow's part which shows a real growth of his personality after very prolonged strory about tragedy on the Arc.

That was not in Sonic 06 dude. There was no mention of the Ark.

And quite frankly, there are a few good moments in Sonic 06, but the bad moments overshadow the hell out of all of it.

Nerve struck, must address.

Well, there's that Sonic X episode, in which Sonic destroyed Eggman's light-machine-thingies and everyone thought he was doing it just because he dislikes Eggman. Great example, even if not canon.

This is a terrible example of morally questionable activities!

1. There was hypnosis going on. He wasn't being morally questionable, he was fighting subliminal mind control.

2. All the characters bar Sonic were whacking their heads with the idiot ball in this arc. As if not one person, even of average intelligence, couldn't work out that the moon wouldn't block the sun for days on end if it had indeed stopped. That's basic physics!

Edited by VEDJ-F

How's this work in the long-term? For a single independent story it works, but once you get to the end and reveal what's been going on, doesn't that dull the strangeness? And if you do it a few times, wouldn't you stop finding it unnerving and just learn to roll with it?

Yeah that's the problem. I suppose it could be done once every couple games to keep things fresh, and not abused.

This I just don't get. He's good at what he does, sure, but "what he does" doesn't require any particular intelligence. I expect him to be either fairly average, a little clever, or somewhat specialized; that is, he's good at running, fighting, and keeping himself alive, but not so much in other areas (whether due to neglect or a natural lacking). Any more than that and, well...he starts to look like a Sue.

The word I was probably looking for was street-wise. He's not a genius, but he certainly isn't stupid or completely tactless. The one thing that bugged me in Colours is that he came across as too headstrong or even a bit thick at times. He should be the opposite of Tails. Tails is really clever, but naive, I mean, no matter how smart you are as an 8 year old, you just don't have the experience to always know what's going on.

This seems completely out of character to me. He's not the calm, clever tactician, he's the brash and (over?)confident optimist. I'd rather leave the planning to Tails; it worked pretty well in SA2.

Yeah, I can see why you'd think that. However, I don't mean the cold, calculating tactician, who plans something before actually doing it. I mean the jump into a situation head-first and make tactical decisions on the fly. I suppose you could say he's good at adapting to changing situations. Example, in SA2, he would have died, had he not made the decision to use the Chaos Emerald. He had a little doubt and a lot of fear, but enough confidence in himself to do it inspite of the circumstances.

Edited by Scar

Nerve struck, must address.

This is a terrible example of morally questionable activities!

1. There was hypnosis going on. He wasn't being morally questionable, he was fighting subliminal mind control.

2. All the characters bar Sonic were whacking their heads with the idiot ball in this arc. As if not one person, even of average intelligence, couldn't work out that the moon wouldn't block the sun for days on end if it had indeed stopped. That's basic physics!

Oops, my bad. I meant that it LOOKED morally questionable. Sonic was in the right the whole time, but to everyone else (and yes they were idiots, but that's aside the point), it looked like he was being selfish and narrow-minded. Whoever it was that I responded to with that post - I don't feel like going back to look - said they wanted to see more mystery with Sonic, wanted his motives to NOT be understood at first. That's what I was responding to, because it is a good example of that.

Yeah that's the problem. I suppose it could be done once every couple games to keep things fresh, and not abused.

The word I was probably looking for was street-wise. He's not a genius, but he certainly isn't stupid or completely tactless. The one thing that bugged me in Colours is that he came across as too headstrong or even a bit thick at times. He should be the opposite of Tails. Tails is really clever, but naive, I mean, no matter how smart you are as an 8 year old, you just don't have the experience to always know what's going on.

Well, he DID see right through Eggman's plan from the start, whereas Tails wasn't convinced there was a threat. So Tails was somewhat naive in this case, and Sonic was somewhat 'street smart.'

To be fair, though, it was pretty obvious. Doesn't take a lot of smarts to know Eggman is up to something.

However, I don't mean the cold, calculating tactician, who plans something before actually doing it. I mean the jump into a situation head-first and make tactical decisions on the fly. I suppose you could say he's good at adapting to changing situations. Example, in SA2, he would have died, had he not made the decision to use the Chaos Emerald. He had a little doubt and a lot of fear, but enough confidence in himself to do it inspite of the circumstances.

That was a great moment. I agree that there should be more instances like this in Sonic games. Being cocky and headstrong doesn't mean he can't be intelligent or have fear.

That was not in Sonic 06 dude. There was no mention of the Ark.

Yes, I meant this. Maybe my words sounds not correct. After prolonged story with it there was no mention of the Ark.

Edited by Sanek ULF