Awoo.

Sonic Generations 3DS-bound?!

Hero of Legend

It might just be the scans but as of right now the 3DS version kinda looks like shit. :/ If you would have told me that was Sonic Generations for the old DS I would have believed you.

I have an increasingly bad feeling that Sonic Team doesn't actually know how to work straight platformers for handhelds by themselves: several of the key Genesis-era people left before Advance could be developed, and even then, Aspect Co. had developed almost every Game Gear game beforehand.

Sonic Team = Incompetence. DDDDD8

Oh, did the best I could to throw a comparison of GHZ-Gen3D, GHZ-GenHD, GHZ-Original and GHZ-2.0...I mean Splash Hill Zone... Because there was space left.

GreenHillZone.jpg

Gen3D Motobug >>>> GenHD Motobug because of lack of green eyes. :P

How about before we all continue to raped bashed Gen 3DS, we wait for some gameplay? I mean after I see that I'll give my final word on it. But as of now the scans....aren't really defending this game.

If you would have told me that was Sonic Generations for the old DS I would have believed you.

• Thumbs Up 3

Actually, in that one pic.... 3DS Green Hill looks pretty good, and actually makes the graphics seem like they'll be good. The level itself is a pretty basic direct remake of the original, but the grass looks lush, I see the ledge above Sonic casting some shade.... I honestly think the graphics look like crap due to the quality of the scans (I ain't bashing... whoever it is who posted them, trust me, I speak for all of us when I say WE FUCKING APPRECIATE IT), but I like it, given how it obviously can't handle levels as massive as what were showcased in the HD versions.

I mean, with that in mind, direct remakes of the classic layouts in more modern graphics seems like an awesome idea for the 3DS version.

• Thumbs Up 1

I have an increasingly bad feeling that Sonic Team doesn't actually know how to work straight platformers for handhelds by themselves: several of the key Genesis-era people left before Advance could be developed, and even then, Aspect Co. had developed almost every Game Gear game beforehand.

Sonic Team = Incompetence. DDDDD8

Yeah, like I said I'm not seeing a huge difference.

I do however admit that it COULD just be the scans. I'll wait before I give my final judgment but those scans are not flattering at all.

Edited by Tobbii
  • Thumbs Up 1

I actually like that the 3DS version looks simpler and less complicated in comparison to the HD version. It looks more "true" to the original. I like the endless calm ocean backdrop.

Well okay, but just to be sure, look at the two special stage shots again.

ColoursDS:

Flat 2D spheres.

Spiky Sonic from Rush (let's not go into more detail here since it's cel-shaded).

Gen3D:

(A lot of) 3D Spheres with shading.

Unleashed/Colours Sonic Model with great smooth polygons.

Not to mention that if we put Sonic Heroes's special stages next to it, Gen3D looks vastly improved (apart from scan quality).

specialstage_shot1.jpg

Graphically the game looks alright. It's a little hard to judge from the scans, but still. Visually it's just quite empty and bland. This can be very easily fixed, and hopefully other stages won't be so... lame.

• Thumbs Up 1

Art of Newtron... I wonder if he's just in the 3DS version as I haven't seen him so far in the HD version of Green Hill, but then again he always was one of the rarer enemies...

I'm also laughing at the scene in Modern Sonic's Green Hill Zone 3DS version where he's running from a giant collapsing totem pole.

I don't know. I always found Ice Cap's PC music incredibly underwhelming. It didn't have that cool feel that made me love the original.

Icecap is like the MM2 Wily's Castle of the Sonic series: everyone loves it, but I can't stand it. Besides, I never liked how the last three stages in Sonic 3 were arranged in-game. They sound like a mess compared to the other S3 tunes and those from Sonic & Knuckles.

GreenHillZone.jpg

I never realized it until this side by side was posted up, but dear God did Sega ever crank the sun up to 11 for the console version of generations. I'm getting skin cancer just looking at it. (but I can't look away. Its too beautiful)

• Thumbs Up 4

It sure is Green Hill in here.

Did the interview say something about Launch Base Zone being in, or just Big Arm?

It sure is Green Hill in here.

Did the interview say something about Launch Base Zone being in, or just Big Arm?

Y'know, I haven't been giving this game enough credit...No matter how it turns out, this thing's gonna be in eye-popping 3D, so I guess that's something to look forward too.

Ah, this is good news to me. If I ever got the money, (Or my parents buy me it for my Birthday/Whatever holiday :P) I'll be sure to pick this up.

Admittedly, I'm gonna have to go on the boat with those who are somewhat disappointed with Modern Sonic having Sonic Rush gameplay. It would have been nice to have Sonic Colors style levels on the go. But hey, If it's any good then I'm not complaining.

Oh, did the best I could to throw a comparison of GHZ-Gen3D, GHZ-GenHD, GHZ-Original and GHZ-2.0...I mean Splash Hill Zone... Because there was space left.

GreenHillZone.jpg

Gen3D Motobug >>>> GenHD Motobug because of lack of green eyes. :P

Am I the only one who finds it ironic that the stage named Splash Hill has less water in it's background but a lot of green forest, but the 3DS stage named Green Hill has little green but has a bunch of water?

Kinda like the real world Iceland/Greenland situation. Or why do we drive on a parkway and park in a driveway? Ah the mysterious of the universe.

Am I the only one who finds it ironic that the stage named Splash Hill has less water in it's background but a lot of green forest, but the 3DS stage named Green Hill has little green but has a bunch of water?

• Thumbs Up 4

Officially announced

We’re excited to confirm that Sonic Generations will be released on the Nintendo 3DS in November 2011! Set across three defining eras from Sonic the Hedgehog’s twenty year history, Sonic Generations for Nintendo 3DS will see SEGA’s mascot speeding through new stereoscopic 3D levels designed exclusively for the handheld console.

“Sonic Generations for Nintendo 3DS will combine brand new technology and twenty years of Sonic the Hedgehog videogame heritage” commented David Corless, Global Brand Director for Sonic. “Couple this with the ability to play as both Classic and Modern Sonic and you have the perfect gaming celebration for the landmark anniversary of our much loved mascot”

The specifically designed Nintendo 3DS environments, based on iconic levels from popular Sonic the Hedgehog titles, will include an exclusive unlockable ‘Special Stage’ allowing players to become even more immersed in Sonic’s world. Sonic Generations for Nintendo 3DS will also take advantage of the StreetPass™ feature by enabling players to collect new content and unlock bonus material each time they pass another player. In addition to this, the new two-player versus mode means fans can battle it out across some of the most recognizable Sonic environments in a completely new way.

Sonic Generations for Nintendo 3DS follows the same storyline as the previously announced platforms, with Sonic and his friends pulled back through time due to a mysterious new power which is causing chaos throughout the universe by creating strange “time holes”. Sonic Generations will be available for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, Nintendo 3DS in November 2011.

For more information please visit www.sonicthehedgehog.com/generations