Awoo.

What forgotten Sonic characters should be brought back

BlueBlur360

Actually, with the direction Sonic Team writers took Shadow and Silver, it would be out of character for them not to be dark.

In those Gerald diaries, it explained that he found an ancient mural, its heavily hinted that he based Shadow's design off the mural from S3&K depicting Super Sonic vs. Eggman. that's just me.

Why don't you switch them all then? Why did you only swap Bark and Bean?

@SuperClassicFanboy: An evil genius keeps trying to take over the world. I'd say that is dark enough for Shadow to be included. I'm tired of "Eggman tries to take over the world, Sonic stops him, the end." I want something with more depth, which can only be accomplished with more characters. I'd say Sonic Adventure 2 does a great job of this, with SA being close behind. Sonic 06 is an arguable point, since some people despise the story (and most despise the game itself), but even so, that game showed that Shadow isn't all angsty like he used to be. He has friends and he's willing to take whatever life throws at him.

In those Gerald diaries, it explained that he found an ancient mural, its heavily hinted that he based Shadow's design off the mural from S3&K depicting Super Sonic vs. Eggman. that's just me.
The only ancient whatever that those entries talk about is a stone tablet referring to the Gizoid/Emerl. Nothing about a mural in any way related to Shadow.

He came back, because he was popular, before Sa2 even came out Shadow was going to have his own game.

He means fanboy, by how your mindset is: Classic>Any other new character, thats the mentality we hate.

He came back, because he was popular, before Sa2 even came out Shadow was going to have his own game.

He means fanboy, by how your mindset is: Classic>Any other new character, thats the mentality we hate.

You're judging me on a couple posts, how hilarious. I don't hate new characters, in fact, I loved Orbot in Unleashed, and I'm sure I'll like Cubot.The thing is with the Sonic series is that if Sonic meets a new character each game it will keep things fresh, every game being a new little Adventure, I don't mean major characters, characters like Yacker, or maybe even Chip.

But Shadow was not really dark in SA2. Like in the Shadow personality topic, he could stand to develop one now that his past is behind him.

But Shadow was not really dark in SA2. Like in the Shadow personality topic, he could stand to develop one now that his past is behind him.

There isn't really a way to expand on his character much more though. I think Shadow the Hedgehog(Game) wrapped things up, as horrible as that game was.

How many times are we gonna have to say it?

Shadow in lighthearted stories could work since he would be the Unfunny. He's a serious character in lighthearted situations, which makes him funny, thus makes him work in lighthearted stories. Can this be the last thread that derails into arguing over Shadow in a lighthearted setting? Please?

SO! How about that Fang? Cool guy. They should bring him back!

How many times are we gonna have to say it?

Shadow in lighthearted stories could work since he would be the Unfunny. He's a serious character in lighthearted situations, which makes him funny, thus makes him work in lighthearted stories. Can this be the last thread that derails into arguing over Shadow in a lighthearted setting? Please?

SO! How about that Fang? Cool guy. They should bring him back!

Fang was sort of the only minor character from the classics that had a personality, I don't see why not, it could lead to some humorous situations and could be sort of the character that all the other characters seems to hate.

There isn't really a way to expand on his character much more though. I think Shadow the Hedgehog(Game) wrapped things up, as horrible as that game was.
Now that's a more valid line of thought than the "too dark for Colors" sort of stuff. I'd agree that ShtH pretty much finished off most of his remaining baggage, and that's why he sucks in '06; he's got nothing. But, that doesn't mean he can't be given something new. There's a few different lines of thought; he can still be devoted to carrying on Maria's ideals and making a better world, while struggling with his anger and hatred (be they his own feelings or remnants of Gerald's insanity). There's also the angle of being a living weapon, which can come up often given Eggman's propensity for digging up that sort of stuff. Characterwise, there could be a certain amount of friction with Eggman, given that he's related to Shadow's "family", and with Sonic, given their similar abilities but differing methods. He's also got a growing "friendship" with Rouge and Omega.

Now that's a more valid line of thought than the "too dark for Colors" sort of stuff. I'd agree that ShtH pretty much finished off most of his remaining baggage, and that's why he sucks in '06; he's got nothing. But, that doesn't mean he can't be given something new. There's a few different lines of thought; he can still be devoted to carrying on Maria's ideals and making a better world, while struggling with his anger and hatred (be they his own feelings or remnants of Gerald's insanity). There's also the angle of being a living weapon, which can come up often given Eggman's propensity for digging up that sort of stuff. Characterwise, there could be a certain amount of friction with Eggman, given that he's related to Shadow's "family", and with Sonic, given their similar abilities but differing methods. He's also got a growing "friendship" with Rouge and Omega.

I said in another thread that Shadow could return and Sega could make a series of download titles about Shadow where Shadow goes through desperate measures to get the 7 Chaos Emeralds, dressing up like a clown and sneaking into a Carnival, or sneaking into Rouge's house in search of another emerald, and being caught gives you a well deserving slap.

I said in another thread that Shadow could return and Sega could make a series of download titles about Shadow where Shadow goes through desperate measures to get the 7 Chaos Emeralds, dressing up like a clown and sneaking into a Carnival, or sneaking into Rouge's house in search of another emerald, and being caught gives you a well deserving slap.

This, 1000x This.

I'd rather not see the cast be degraded into that of a kindergartner's show.

Are you denying the fact that Sonic games are for everyone? If there was a Mario game with full voice acting, tons of cutscenes and darker characters I really doubt it would be as enjoyable and would sell as well as a game like Mario Galaxy or Sonic Colors.

• Thumbs Up 1

Are you denying the fact that Sonic games are for everyone? If there was a Mario game with full voice acting, tons of cutscenes and darker characters I really doubt it would be as enjoyable and would sell as well as a game like Mario Galaxy or Sonic Colors.

Super Paper Mario, Or pretty much the Paper Mario series in general is pretty dark. Last time I checked they were all enjoyable.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm denying that "for everyone" means "nothing more serious than peek-a-boo".

I'm also denying that there's no middle ground between Heroes' treatment of characters and ShtH/'06's.

• Thumbs Up 1

Super Paper Mario, Or pretty much the Paper Mario series in general is pretty dark. Last time I checked they were all enjoyable.

Those were RPGS, not exactly part of the main series. I didn't really find Paper Mario depressing, not as much as Adventure 2 anyway, and there isn't any voice acting in Paper Mario, which really can change how sad or happy a moment is.

In Megaman X4, when Iris dies, the scene is laughable because of the horrible voice acting, with good voice acting, you would feel more emotion than just a bubble of text or bad voice acting.

Unleashed? I mean that was pretty middle ground.

Yea, and Sonic Colors is more than likely taking the same route, with more humor, obviously.

Edited by SuperClassic

Fanboy? I'm pretty sure someone who defends the games or a character no matter what is a fan boy. Not someone with a constructive opinion.

A fanboy of the classic games. The kind who wants nothing but Sonic. Doesn't want any other characters. That mindset ticks me off.

And I only defend him because I like him as a character. When he gets to be too much, I'll let it go because I'm not a fanboy (as they tend to defy logic to make a point) but just a fan.

My opinion on Shadow is that in Adventure 2 he was alright, Heroes he returned for no reason, Shadow the Hedgehog was Yuji Naka's failed attempt at making Shadow The Hedgehog have his own series, and Sonic 06 I think he had the best story. I mean, I didn't notice any plot holes.

Now THIS is more of a constructive opinion. Though I don't agree with you entirely, this at least gives Shadow a chance. Previously you talked as though Sonic was the only good character and every other character should die in a fire. I think all the characters could be fleshed out if handled properly, so seeing people that don't want to give the old characters a chance bugs me.

Unleashed? I mean that was pretty middle ground.
That, the first Adventure, and maybe Colors depending on how it goes.

Those were RPGS, not exactly part of the main series. I didn't really find Paper Mario depressing, not as much as Adventure 2 anyway, and there isn't any voice acting in Paper Mario, which really can change how sad or happy a moment is.

No, we're generally here, RPGs and Main series included. And go play Super Paper Mario, its pretty sad. It was still enjoyable.

Wait, I think we're getting off topic, we're supposed to be talking about what characters we want to come back, not Mario.

A fanboy of the classic games. The kind who wants nothing but Sonic. Doesn't want any other characters. That mindset ticks me off.

And I only defend him because I like him as a character. When he gets to be too much, I'll let it go because I'm not a fanboy (as they tend to defy logic to make a point) but just a fan.

Now THIS is more of a constructive opinion. Though I don't agree with you entirely, this at least gives Shadow a chance. Previously you talked as though Sonic was the only good character and every other character should die in a fire. I think all the characters could be fleshed out if handled properly, so seeing people that don't want to give the old characters a chance bugs me.

At my personal heck called the Sega Forums, we like to call mindless haters "Fan brats" and suck ups "Fan boys", believe it or not some people their are actually intelligent.

Anyways, back on topic. I'm pretty sure I stated the characters I liked and listed near ten characters(Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy, Cream, Blaze, Eggman, Orbot, and Cubot).

If we were to compare Sonic to Mario and his colorful cast of characters, usually characters don't return, and when they do, their rolls are minor, and it's nice to see them again, like the Pink Bomb ombs in Mario 64 being in Galaxy 2. Ofcourse, as lighthearted as Sonic games may be now, they still have story and the characters have more personality, meaning you are more likely to like or hate a character more. If each game had it's own new character for Sonic to have a Adventure with, then things would stay fresh.

Man, I remember when I saw the initial Sonic Riders trailer and I thought they were bringing Bean back with a modern redesign. I sure as hell was disappointed..

I'm not totally against bringing some of the old forgotten characters back, but I really think Mighty is one of the last characters that should be put on a priority list. My personal preference is for it to be Bean, although it's hard to argue in favor of him. Even tho' he's basically an expy of the Dynamite Dux characters and Jet is similar in design, I always liked the idea of bringing him back as some sort of wacky demolitions expert or some shit. Either protagonist, antagonist, or entirely neutral. Wouldn't care. I'd like to see him blow some shit up.

Bean the motherfuckin' Dynamite, bitches.

Blowin' shit up all day, every day.