Awoo.

"Mediocre" Sonic games being de-listed

DistantJ

It has come to my attention that the Xbox 360 version of Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode I has now reached "Average" status on Metacritic.

Ohohoho! This presents quite the conundrum. It's not like it's going to be taken down or anything, but it's certainly hilariously ironic that they've removed all of the "mediocre" Sonic games that they believed to hurt the brand's image, banking on Sonic 4 to greatly improve it... only to have that game be labelled as mediocrity as well. Bah, oh well - at least Colors looks awesome.

lol, I only know a few of the sites that gave it below 75. So it's pretty much the unknown sites giving the bad scores. The big ones like IGN, Game Informer. OXM all gave it good scores :lol:

Edited by MarcelloF

Gamespot gave it a 6.5/10. It's funny because they were the ones to get all the exclusive stuff leading up to the release.

Ungrateful bastards.

ninja.png

Edited by MarcelloF

As long as it finishes at atleast 80%, it's cool. 75% is acceptable, but anything below that will more or less mean that Sega's great plan has already failed. So for the sake of our hedgehog idol, let us all get down on our knees and pray.

SEGA CANNOT HIDE FROM THE TRUTH!!!! I lived through and played all of these games and I can not block them off from memory....even if some were good...so SEGA cannot do the same. Also lol at the quote above

SEGA CANNOT HIDE FROM THE TRUTH!!!! I lived through and played all of these games and I can not block them off from memory....even if some were good...so SEGA cannot do the same. Also lol at the quote above

Edited by MarcelloF

A SEGA employee will see you wearing that shirt and this will happen:

SEGA: What bad games?

You: You know what I mean!

SEGA: Oh, you mean "Golden Axe: Beast Rider"?

Is this the SEGA employee that you mean:

trollface.jpg

?

There'd be a Sonic Team picture on the back of the shirt :]

Edited by MarcelloF

Pretty sure that's a user comment and not an actual review bro.

You know, the kind of people who post on GameFAQs or comment on YouTube videos.

[text]

That would be a user review, which has no impact whatsoever on a game's overall ranking on Metacritic. They hold no ground whatsoever, and exist solely as a second opinion from the average Joe. The only reviews that contribute to a game's Metascore are the professional video game reviewing outlets such as IGN, GameSpot, Wired, and et cetera.

Edited by HunterTSF

I don't see how its stupid, or "avoiding the truth." All it means is that Sega's not going to be selling said games new anymore. Even so, I doubt they're focusing SOLELY on Metacritic, anyway. They're just mentioning Metacritic because its the most popular one out there.

Whatever the case may be, the only games I think were truly "mediocre" in score were Shadow the Hedgehog, Sonic '06, the two Rivals titles, and Sonic and the Black Knight. I don't think Unleashed was really rated that badly. Adventures were largely praised, as were the DS games (Chronicles I think was more in-between mediocre and high). And pretty much anything before 2008 isn't being produced, anymore, anyway.

So...

Does this mean that piracy is okay, seeing as Sega won't be making any money off those particular games anymore?

Edited by eXtaticus

• 2 weeks later...

I'd find the strip a little bit funnier if the score was at least 65 =/ - But I mean, 72 out of a possible 100 is actually showing improvement. So I hardly see the irony. That is, unless I'm missing the point altogether.

Edited by Akito

72 out of a possible 100 is actually showing improvement. So I hardly see the irony. That is, unless I'm missing the point altogether.

The Sega rep said "any average Sonic game", and according to Metacritic anything below 75 is considered "average" (that's why it's yellow instead of green). Of course, Sega could have a completely different scale (ex: anything below 50 is "average"), but the irony is still pretty funny, even though I thought Sonic 4 was pretty good and the Wii and PS3 versions have "generally favorable reviews".

I'd find the strip a little bit funnier if the score was at least 65 =/ - But I mean, 72 out of a possible 100 is actually showing improvement. So I hardly see the irony. That is, unless I'm missing the point altogether.

Edited by SuperClassic

The Sega rep said "any average Sonic game", and according to Metacritic anything below 75 is considered "average" (that's why it's yellow instead of green). Of course, Sega could have a completely different scale (ex: anything below 50 is "average"), but the irony is still pretty funny, even though I thought Sonic 4 was pretty good and the Wii and PS3 versions have "generally favorable reviews".

Edited by Akito

Well, I suppose with that clarified, it is pretty ironic, but I mean, it's only three points away from being a 75, and it's only for that one console.

I suppose it's not so much the joke as much as the delivery of the joke. I mean, even if it is technically rated "average," it's only for that one console (1) and (2) it's only a few points away from being "generally favorable" so I mean... eh, it's difficult to explain. But the delivery just doesn't come across as hilarious to me.

I'm sad that Sonic Chronicles is on the list. Now it looks like we'll never get a second Sonic Chronicles.:(

I was hoping that Shade would become a part of the main Sonic cast.

Well a while back Bioware said that they were working on a script for a second Sonic Chronicles. I hope that Sega brings back Shade, it would seem like such a waste to never use her again.

• Thumbs Up 1