Awoo.

Sonic Fan Remix

Kiberbot

Forgive my stupidity, but I can't get it to run for me. All I get is an error message that says-

Data Folder Not Found

There should be 'Sonic Fan Remix_Data'

folder next to the executable

I have the exact same problem. Maybe it's just me and the lack of use on computers or computer games.

Anyone wanna help us out so we can play this game. I just downloaded it, upzipped it, and tried to play the Sonic Remix exe and that was the error I got. Am I doing something wrong?

It turns out that it does run on a netbook, albeit at minimum settings and ~3fps.

Still completable, however, though far from what I'd call "ideal"...

SaleOnAllBodyParts.jpg

I need a new PC ;)

The art style is a lot better than it was, but it still seems a little bit too cluttered for my liking.

I see the hive mind here was at work in earlier posts in this thread. So predictable and so hilarious.

I'm notoriously lazy when it comes to fan games so I just watched the video on Kotaku. It's like they layered shiny paint on a Sonic 2 hack. This is a GOOD thing. Physics are spot on from what I can see, (and they should be with Mercury at the helm), so this game will be loads of fun.

I guess I'll play it...eventually.

Played the demo yesterday.

I mean no disrespect to the creators by any means in saying what I'm about to, of course- massive kudos to them for pulling off such a project as well as they have. I certainly couldn't do this, and they've done it very well.

But... it's just Emerald Hill, is all. Okay, there was one original stage in there, but it didn't feel particularly special or memorable. As others have said, I did think that the visuals were a little bit too cluttered, as well as looking a bit too dull and gritty/ realistic in terms of the colour palette used.

That said, I dunno. The fact it's mostly remakey would be fine, but it doesn't seem quite sure what it wants to be at this point. Visually, it's massively unfaithful to the original (dark, cluttered, almost 'real' looking), yet acts 1 and 3 are almost spot on recreations of the original stages. At the same time though, there's only so excited I can get about Sonic 2 with a new lick of paint.

Brilliant effort still, looks amazing like I said, and I don't mean to belittle that in any way.

• Thumbs Up 2

Did anyone else notice that this demo is riddled with enemies all over the damn place, possibly fitting the bill of "cheap enemy placement" that Retro continues to complain about in Sonic Team/Dimps games? I laughed, guys. I really did. Game is pretty, sure, but that's all it has going for it.

Edited by Hero Of Fate
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 2

Did anyone else notice that this demo is riddled with enemies all over the damn place, possibly fitting the bill of "cheap enemy placement" that Retro continues to complain about in Sonic Team/Dimps games? I laughed, guys. I really did. Game is pretty, sure, but that's all it has going for it.

That's pretty much how it went for me too. I mean, it can certainly be fixed considering it's a beta...but I'm just not very impressed. Hate to dump all over the work of 2 guys who are doing it for the love of it, but I just don't like what I've seen. Pretty remake of Sonic 2, but too cluttered and the original content wasn't at all interesting. It also wasn't very well optimized. I could run it fine in Good and Beautiful Settings, but I've heard talks of people who can run MW2 that can't run this thing at all.

You mean those same enemies that all the guys at Retro have noted? I'm not seeing what you're getting at. Not to mention that this is just a fan game.

Edited by Hero Of Fate

Don't want to anger the powers that be, but a lot of people (Retro included) are trying to use this an example that fans can do Sonic better than SEGA. From what I've seen so far, they can't.

That's my difference there. The physics, in ST/DIMPS games need to be righted like they were in Sonic Advance, but when the rest of this fangame gets everything else wrong I can't really say it's better than anything SEGA has put forth. A shiny gloss over of Sonic 2 just doesn't do it for me.

Edited by Hero Of Fate
  • Thumbs Up 1

That's my difference there. The physics, in ST/DIMPS games need to be righted like they were in Sonic Advance, but when the rest of this fangame gets everything else wrong I can't really say it's better than anything SEGA has put forth. A shiny gloss over of Sonic 2 just doesn't do it for me.

Edited by AlexM305
  • Thumbs Up 2

Fuck I swear to god. How can anyone say this looks better than Sonic 4? This shit is ugly as hell. Everything looks like plastic, there is way too much going on at one time, it's nearly impossible to keep track of Sonic, some TERRIBLE enemy placement, and the entire thing is just boring to play. It's nothing new at all. I'm not sure how anyone could like it at all past the physics.

I could play and enjoy Sonic 4 even with the shit physics. I can't enjoy this in the slightest.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Guest Mister_Sibuke

Fuck I swear to god. How can anyone say this looks better than Sonic 4? This shit is ugly as hell. Everything looks like plastic, there is way too much going on at one time, it's nearly impossible to keep track of Sonic, some TERRIBLE enemy placement, and the entire thing is just boring to play. It's nothing new at all. I'm not sure how anyone could like it at all past the physics.

I could play and enjoy Sonic 4 even with the shit physics. I can't enjoy this in the slightest.

Whether you care about this or not is your business, but to say that you don't understand how anybody can like this is fucking ridiculous.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

To be fair, people did with the Sonic 4. Though I'm pretty sure that's already been brought up, just seems people are still bitter about it.

(OH GOD DON'T KILL ME.)

Edited by Hero Of Fate
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

It also wasn't very well optimized. I could run it fine in Good and Beautiful Settings, but I've heard talks of people who can run MW2 that can't run this thing at all.

In agreement with Mahzes. Great job, one of the best looking fan games around, but really it doesn't do enough for me to rave about it. If it went above and beyond with the gameplay and physics, bettering what was seen in Sonic 1-3, I think it would be worthy of that praise.

Fan game rating: B+, with hopes of a higher rating once completed

Whether you care about this or not is your business, but to say that you don't understand how anybody can like this is fucking ridiculous.

I can't though. The physics are the only reason I can find that it did good with at all. I'm having a seriously hard time comprehending how anyone can think this looks good or even plays well. Not saying it's impossible, I just don't understand it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Black and white version for those who dislike the busy visuals he made for the lulz

He has also speeden up the game a little bit. I felt that the game was a bit slower than the original sonic 2 so it's nice that pelikan/mercury have noticed themselves.

Edit ^^

Edited by Jaouad
  • Thumbs Up 2

Black and white version for those who dislike the busy visuals.

He has also speeden up the game a little bit. I felt that the game was a bit slower than the original sonic 2 so it's nice that pelikan/mercury have noticed themselves.

You have to hold down jump to do that. Mercury the programmer has programmed the game in a way that you always have to hold down jump at all occations to bounce back to the height you were on. In the classics you only had to do that from a jump, but not if you bounced on an enemy from a ramp or from a ledge.

^

For those who didn't know.

Edit: So stupid of me, teasing you with a video and all without providing the actual link of the game.

here

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=D1X6B2AC

Edited by Jaouad
  • Thumbs Up 2