Awoo.

Sonic Fan Remix

Kiberbot

I am so sick and freaking tired of people saying that this is better than Sonic 4. While people are entitled to their opinions, it's just damn annoying. I'm also REALLY sick and tired of people saying it's better than Sonic 2 HD. The projects have completely different goals. It's not a fair comparison, and it conveys ignorance.

As for why Sonic tends to disappear, especially on the lower path, it's to do with how 2.5d deals with layers. Let me explain.

In a 2D game, when Sonic jumps onto a platform from underneath, he passes in front of the object. However, because everything is in 2D, it only appears that Sonic is moving in front of the platform. As far as the hardware is concerned, he is not. Sonic games have multiple layers. Why, there are atleast 2 in every level. That's how you are able to seemingly go through a loop and pass through the other side, with part of the wall obscuring sonic during the exit.

Jump to 3D. If Sonic appears to be in front of something, it's because in 3D space, he actually is. Back to the loop example. When Sonic goes into a loop, he is on one layer, and when he exits, he is on another. That's why it looks like normal. But play close attention to the video. Does Sonic look...smaller when he exits loops to you? In 3D space, if Sonic is going to appear to be behind something (as in the wall when exiting a loop), he actually has to be pushed further back from the camera, which is why he appears to be smaller.

Now, let's say you are now in the exit layer and come across a platform you can jump onto from underneath. Pelikan13 has two options here. The first would be to put the platform even further back, so that Sonic passes in front of it when jumping on it. The problem with this, however, is that Sonic will definitely becoming noticeably smaller at this point. Also, further layer changes would be harder to facilitate. He'll want to keep the number of layers to a minimum. The solution? Have Sonic jump onto platforms that can be reached from underneath by making him move behind that layer whenever possible. And that is why Sonic sometimes seems to disappear.

There are reasons why Sonic 4 uses prerendered backgrounds. One of them is to avoid this kinda of level design drama.

• Thumbs Up 1

This is... interesting. There are some things I really like about the video; I don't find it to be as nauseatingly busy as some people apparently do, and in a lot of places it's absolutely gorgeous. I do definitely have some problems, though. There's obviously an issue with the entire background apparently having been dipped in something blue, but the main problem I have is that it all of the visual upgrades have killed a lot of what made Emerald Hill feel like Emerald Hill, if that makes sense. The darkness of the whole thing reminds me more of Oddworld than it reminds me of Sonic, and having the final boss floating around ominously in the background only makes this effect more pronounced. The upbeat Emerald Hill music feels completely out of place; I feel like I ought to be listening to something creepy.

Still, it's very cool, and now I have a sudden craving for a level where a boss is constantly in the background.

I'm not sure why the video is so dark. The screenshots portray the game in a much better light. Despite how busy it is, you cannot deny how gorgeous those touches are.

sfr032.jpg

I didn't have trouble losing track of Sonic either, but maybe that's just because I focused so much on him when watching it.

I still think Sonic 4 looks better. The grass/leaves looks weird and it's just too cluttered.

I like Sonic's model, though.

I am so sick and freaking tired of people saying that this is better than Sonic 4. While people are entitled to their opinions, it's just damn annoying. I'm also REALLY sick and tired of people saying it's better than Sonic 2 HD. The projects have completely different goals. It's not a fair comparison, and it conveys ignorance.

I fail to see why it's unfair, they are both (way) different takes in Sonic 2, and I happen to like this one more than the other.

I agree with your Sonic 4 comment though, I can't believe people are asking for a Sonic 2 "remix" to be Sonic the Hedgehog 4, I thought rehashed content was one of the main complaints about that game...

I'm not sure why the video is so dark. The screenshots portray the game in a much better light. Despite how busy it is, you cannot deny how gorgeous those touches are.

*screen*

I totally forgot that, as much as I can spot Sonic without problems in the video I can't deny that screen looks way better, also, it seems like I'm just an exceptional case so I guess it's alright to complain about this (even more knowing that it could look like in the screens).

Not to mention than that blue sky is going to be a nightmare in an "all blue background" zone like Wing Fortress.

EDIT: From my sheer ignorance, I'm going to blame youtube for this. :V

Edited by gato
  • Thumbs Up 1

I still think Sonic 4 looks better. The grass/leaves looks weird and it's just too cluttered.

I like Sonic's model, though.

I actually really like the grass and kinda wish we could trade the Splash Hill grass for this. My only complaint is that there's just too much grass/vines/leaves/flowers/trees. Tone it down a bit and it'd be perfect.

That's a little too much foliage for me. It's like running through a jungle!

Anyway, yeah it's cool. Just take away some leaves and add some Tails.

• 3 weeks later...

Only because it's true. I don't think anyone at SEGA would dare try to deny it either.

Yes those shots are gorgeous. Act 3 was my favorite visually at first but act 2 grew on me in the end. The public demo comes out in a couple days, so you all will be able to play it real soon.

Edited by Dusk the Wisp Keeper

Someone tweeted in Japanese that this game looked 256 times better than Sonic 4, and Yuji Naka retweeted it.

Do you have a link please? I've heard of this but couldn't find anything on Yuji Naka's twitter.

The game looks real fresh and I can understand some of the complaints like the clutter and visual noise. However it will be hard to prove under any circumstance that sonic 4 looks better. This fangame looks amazing and I can't w8 to try it. I'm also confident becuase my laptop is a beast.

Having played Sonic 4, I'm now convinced that it should have been designed more like this. Seriously, this looks absolutely fantastic and these guys deserve a job at SEGA because they know what theyre doing.

Edited by BD3
  • Thumbs Up 1

I agree on the physics front; At this point, Sonic appears to have the annoyingly-oversensitive acceleration of Meat Boy. And that art style is still way too busy, although Sonic stands out against the background now. Not to take away from this individual's effort, of course; The day I learn the coding necessary to make a good fangame is the day I square dance naked on the White House lawn.

Yeah, it's blatantly obvious that the 'physics problems' are actually the result of debug stuff. The earlier preview didn't show such things at all.

Right, thanks, I finally found it... for some reason Firefox would not find it when I searched for "256" (because it's in fact "256", with Japanese chars or something).