Awoo.

Sonic Fan Remix

Kiberbot

Yes, I know for sure (being a beta tester) that the graphics aren't cluttering when you play it yourself, and the physics are spot on to the classics, except when you jump from a roll you keep your control like in Sonic CD.

Also, believe me and Naka on this. As much as I like Sonic 4, this >>>>>>>>> S4.

And the demo is out.

blablabla demo blablabla don't tear it apart like if this was the final product. (but I guess any criticism would be welcome in the thread @Retro)

We will be able to find more info in the official site. (whenever is finished xD)

*downloading, it may take a while with my connection*

*Also... ugh... Rapidshare .-.*

Edited by gato
  • Thumbs Up 2

Just played the demo and this is the best fan game I have played. The graphics look great (Even at 640X480 since my computer can't handle anything higher) and I didn't have any real trouble with the physics. I also didn't have any trouble seeing sonic despite all the details. The only things that I didn't like were the skidding sound effect and the jumping sound seemed quiet compared to the music, But these are very minor to me anyway.

Edited by Steelers2056

Was able to play it on my computer's native resolution of 1920x1080, but I couldn't pull off the Fantastic setting without noticeable lag on some parts. Anyway, this was fun, and it looks great.

Played the demo, it's absolutely fantastic even though my laptop can't run it very well. It makes Sonic 4 look like a piece of crap.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Forgive my stupidity, but I can't get it to run for me. All I get is an error message that says-

Data Folder Not Found

There should be 'Sonic Fan Remix_Data'

folder next to the executable

I don't want to go against the tide, but I really wish people wouldn't use this game as another excuse to crap on Sonic 4. We get it. Sonic 4 wasn't the classic Sonic game you wanted it to be while this game somehow is. One person (?) made it and that makes it more impressive by default. Is has classic black eyes Sonic too, so that pacifies those of you with a religious hatred for "Porcupine Man" who want nothing more than to group Sonic 4 with the likes of Sonic Blast and Sonic the Hedgehog Genesis. And yes, it has physics, because the fact Sonic can stick to walls in Sonic 4 is so utterly game-breaking.

Now that I got that out of my system, I will say that, after playing the demo, Sonic Fan Remix is up there with the likes of Nexus and Retro XG on my list of anticipated Sonic fan-games. I would love to see this as a completed project, so let's hope it doesn't meet the same fate as so many other Sonic fan-games that just faded into obscurity.

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Bad Quality Post 1

I don't want to go against the tide, but I really wish people wouldn't use this game as another excuse to crap on Sonic 4. We get it. Sonic 4 wasn't the classic Sonic game you wanted it to be while this game somehow is. One person (?) made it and that makes it more impressive by default. Is has classic black eyes Sonic too, so that pacifies those of you with a religious hatred for "Porcupine Man" who want nothing more than to group Sonic 4 with the likes of Sonic Blast and Sonic the Hedgehog Genesis. And yes, it has physics, because the fact Sonic can stick to walls in Sonic 4 is so utterly game-breaking.

I found a few bugs, but all in all it's fantastic. It is a demo/beta afterall. I cannot fault much of what is there for anything. The level design could use a few more branches, but what is there is solid as hell. It's playing classic Sonic, and a few other touches were great. Waterfall sounds, Burnt trees, the splashes Sonic makes. Excellent stuff. I found that if you hold the jump button you return to to the height you were at after you bounce off an enemy. If you let go you can simply fall through them if you wish. Having spindash control is Sonic CD nostalgia rush.

A few clipping issues when going through layers and once I got trapped in the skid animation going forward, but that was it.

The only issue is that the music is rear end. Get some Teezord in there man! Is there any way I could insert music of my choice into the files? I was looking through the folders and it looks like I would have to compile it into unity.

I just want this to play in act 1. :(

Edited by Tiller

I thought I banned discussion on this. I appreciate your concerns, but I'd rather not have it brought up at all, lest this topic becomes Mushroom Hill part 2.

And yeah, stop it with the Sonic 4 stuff. I normally wouldn't be bothered by it, but there are people here who'll blow up into "debate" at the mention.

Who would like to see my experience of the game in 3 pictures?

wheresonicgo.jpg

Ok lets give it a chance and see what all the fuss is about...

wheresonicgo2.jpg

Hey where did Sonic go?

wheresonicgo3.jpg

Oh there he is...

Happens every time, even after a re-download.

*Goes back to playing Fallout NV*

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Bad Quality Post 2

Alright, I'm liking it so far. The hit detection seems a bit buggy though, like I'll lose rings right before I'm about to hit a badnik. A few colors could stand out better, as well. I could typically see Sonic fine, but some enemies seemed practically invisible to me. (I'll list specific examples after the next time I play it)

And for a moment, Sonic Retro imploded. xD

I managed to play the 3 acts, actually, I'm surprised that I manged to play it with little to no lag problems at all (I used good settings with 1024x768 and fantastic in 800x600, fullscreen and with my cluster**** of apps running in the background).

And it was one of the most glorious experiences I ever had (while playing a fangame). :D

I think the good things are going to be repeated over and over (and can't blame you) so I'm going to state the not so good things I noticed.

1) sometimes while going trough some loops Sonic seems to (almost) stop moving. =/

2) I'm probably alone with this one but I think Sonic "walking" (not running) annimation looks stupid.

3) This is going to be repeated to death by some people, the levels are too cluttered, I can't go trough the lower paths because the vines and all that eyecandy doesn't let me see where I am going, I know S3&K had this kind of things, but to the point of covering the whole screen, this becomes specially annoying while going fast.

4) I detect some Dimps enemy placement, especially with the motobugs (this could also be considered as a part of my complain no.3)

5) Not a big fan of the music and the sound effects blocking it.

But since I can't stop fangasming about it, I will also state some little details that I enjoyed. [/hypocresy]

1) I know they showed it in the vids but the whale caught me off guard, I watched the thing jump and I my jaw dropped while I keeped running... then I hitted a spring that sent me to a badnik. (wait, is this a good thing or a bad thing? :blink:)

2) The Robotnikland (or it was Roboland? Can't remember) sign being built as you progress towards the levels is an awesome detail, also, I love how this game gives you the feel that the place is actually being invaded, instead of being just a bunch of random robots being there.

3) I loved the models, Sonic's and Flickies are adorable.

4) Every badnik having their spotlights on during the night (or dusk) act was also awesome.

Overall it was a great experience and can't wait to play more of it, 2010 is (or was?) an awesome year to be a Sonic fan, with so many (arguably) good games being relased and this magnific piece of a fangame showing up.

So, what are everyone's thoughts on the original Rapidshare file/listing being removed due to copyright and being tagged "illegal"? Could SEGA be behind it? I haven't played it myself as I don't think I have the right stuff to run it and I don't play fan games anyway, but it looks fun.

Looks bloody terriffic, it's hard to believe fans have produced something of that quality. Stellar work, they should be really proud of themselves. It looks a bit like Sonic crossed with Abes Oddysee in terms of visuals and the lighting is very different from other Sonic games; for me though, that's its charm. I think it's pretty amazing XP.

• Thumbs Up 2

If it runs on a netbook at minimum settings, then I'll be ultra-happy.

If not, then I'll selling my body parts for cash to buy computer parts.

This means that anyone who has a GeForce GTS 250 and needs a kidney should PM me for more details. :)

I would've payed 15 bucks for this, is THAT good.

I wish them well and I hope to see more of this project!

Edited by Aries
  • Thumbs Up 1

Very impressive, but I didn't actually find it all that fun. Level design wasn't particularly memorable, played pretty much like any other fangame to me.

Visuals were amazing but I am with the "just a touch too cluttered" crowd and agree with dodgy enemy placement. I agree with whoever else mentioned motobugs. They came out of nowhere and got me all the damn time.

Oh, and music and sound design doesn't fit the "epic" visuals at all. We need something more dramatic/real sounding.

My favourite thing about this fangame is the use of cool effects like the rain storm and dusk effects. I wish the official games pulled more unusual visual twists on levels like that.

Edited by JezMM
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Just in case anyone feels like downloading it, I did this to help Qjimbo relieve congestion on SSRG but I created a torrent and found out how to setup a torrent tracker. Grab it here if you wanna help out :P

Sorry about that. I should have read the previous pages. I should probably lurk more too since I have been on and off the forum since Sonic 4's release. I'll just back off.

It's fine, really. I was directing my post to everyone in general and not specifically to you.

I kinda find it funny that my laptop gets stable frames at 1920x1080 with Fantastic graphic settings. Not sure how though. XD

EDIT: It got featured on Kotaku (fucking finally) and now is going to get around places. This can be a good or bad thing.

http://kotaku.com/5670258/did-sonic-fans-just-release-a-better-sonic-the-hedgehog-hd

Also, If you like Sonic 4, stay away from the comments. There is no mercy.

Edited by Tiller