Awoo.

SPOnG Preview

Dreadknux

I think that's the wrong chip... At least he's much more exotic now.

I'm going to assume this is referring to Cubot, since -from what I understand- his Japanese profile says he can switch his chip (and then it has something to do with the different worlds/attractions).

An Unleashed reference? :D:D:D:D:D

What, the bit about the wrong chip? No, it's most likely Orbot referring to the fact that Cubot can become a number of park attractions depending on what chip he has in him... which does give context to the quote, so I wonder, if I'm right, what did Cubot become because of having the wrong chip? Exactly what kind of thing would be exotic at an amusement park? If it's just the explanation for Cubot talking like a cowboy, that's way too predictable.

Edit: I got ninja'd!

Edited by Shade Vortex

Augghhh mein ears. I miss Griffith - as of Sonic and the Black Knight, he was Sonic. T_T

Oh well, hopefully he sounds drastically better in-game. 'Cuz I really don't want to go through the entire game having to listen to that. But hey, if this happens to be the very tone of voice that I'll be listening to in-game, I suppose I'll get used to it eventually!

Didn't Dread say he sounds like that, only toned down and more settled into the character?

Edited by Ryusuke

Didn't Dread say he sounds like that, only toned down and more settled into the character?

Oh! My Bad! I did not explain myself...there are two versions of his voice circling around and I want to know which one is the "REAL" one.

The hotel door voice which sounds like this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrnFlMBnBek&feature=related

And the ride voice which sounds like this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hQasTxNKXw&feature=related

Now which one is more accurate to the game I wonder.

As you can see the first one sounds deeper, is that the deepness that Dread meant? is the second video accurate to how Sonic sounds in game at all?

Edited by Aries

Well, the first video was recorded without treatment, so it sounds deeper unnaturally and probably in a way Roger Craig won't sound. So, the game should be something more like how the second video, since the recordings were...well, the actual takes which weren't messed around with...only a touch deeper (going by what Dread said).

...that's just me putting two and two together, though.

Edited by Ryusuke

Well, the first video was recorded without treatment, so it sounds deeper unnaturally. So, the game should be something more like how the second video, since the recordings were...well, the actual takes which weren't messed around with.

Ah so the first one is the "Fake" one? so the "Hotel Door" voice had pitch damage?

Ah so the first one is the "Fake" one? so the "Hotel Door" voice had pitch damage?

Yeah pretty much

Edited by Ryusuke

It's not exactly new. That clip has been circulating the net for awhile.

But, I agree, the voice is great. Got potential to be the best Sonic voice...well...ever (I'm only saying that cause I was never really attached any of the previous ones...except maybe Jaleel White...maybe).

Speaking of which, I love the writing in this game so far. :D *from the quotes Dread posted* Can't wait for the preview.

Edited by Ryusuke

It's not exactly new. That clip has been circulating the net for awhile.

But, I agree, the voice is great. Got potential to be the best Sonic voice...well...ever (I'm only saying that cause I was never really attached any of the previous ones...except maybe Jaleel White...maybe).

Looking forward to the preview tomorrow! Videos of the cutscenes or not!

Yes the new Voice actors seem to be pros this time.

the preview tomorrow wonder how that will be like heheh, I might skip some of it as I don't want to spoil too much...heh then I end up seeing all of it.

Edited by Aries

It's difficult to say which Alton Towers voice Roger sounds like, because... well, he doesn't really sound like either. I mean, he does, but he doesn't. It's hard to explain. The tone's all there, but in those AT videos he's clearly 'doing a Griffith' and stressing his voice to the point of sounding like a surfer with bowel problems. You don't hear any of that in Colours. No 'WOOOOOO's, no 'HEYHEY WATCH OUT FOR DR EGGMAN NOW' etc. Sounds a bit more relaxed.

Oh, and you don't hear Sonic screaming as you boost through stages, thank God. The only time you really hear his voice is if you get hit or die.

• Thumbs Up 3

Aries, the voice was edited for the hotel room and the Spinball ad recording isn't clear.

Here's my article about it and some of the actual voice clips from the theme park AAUK played on Radio Redux, clear and unedited:

http://www.sonicstadium.org/blog/2010/08/16/high-quality-clips-of-rogers-sonic-voice-now-available/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5wEOfcLkcg&feature=related

It's difficult to say which Alton Towers voice Roger sounds like, because... well, he doesn't really sound like either. I mean, he does, but he doesn't. It's hard to explain. The tone's all there, but in those AT videos he's clearly 'doing a Griffith' and stressing his voice to the point of sounding like a surfer with bowel problems. You don't hear any of that in Colours. No 'WOOOOOO's, no 'HEYHEY WATCH OUT FOR DR EGGMAN NOW' etc. Sounds a bit more relaxed.

Oh, and you don't hear Sonic screaming as you boost through stages, thank God. The only time you really hear his voice is if you get hit or die.

Glad to hear he sounds more professional in the game :D

Wow now that's something! thanks for the information Dreadknux it is highly appreciated!

Aries, the voice was edited for the hotel room and the Spinball ad recording isn't clear. Here's my article about it and some of the actual voice clips from the theme park AAUK played on Radio Redux.

I See, This is all very interesting! now I'm curious!

Edited by Aries

Dread, You just made this game even better by saying that since whenever Sonic goes "WOOOOOOOOO GOOOOO YEAHHH!!" everytime I boost in Unleashed It made me cringe and put me off while playing the game when trying for a better time & high score, I'm just glad he doesn't do it in this game besides when he jumps from the rail to rail and when he dies :)

Edited by Shaddix

An interesting read! Good to hear it's shaping up well. If you can play through 25 hours with three of the zones still locked away, I'd say that's a good sign! :D

The only thing that still remains to be seen though - are there special stages in the Wii version? I'm assuming the Chaos Emeralds are going to show up at some point... especially as they're in the DS version.

Really Good Read,Dread :)

Exploration and platforming are officially back, perhaps this is the classic 3D Sonic game every one was waiting for.

Edited by speedduelist

You can't HA Badniks? That's weird, but cool, I guess. I think it's weird that the hazard sign doesn't appear in later levels. Maybe it's because you were doing good and the game thought you didn't need them? An adaptable difficulty so to say.

Great preview.

Edited by MarcelloF

Awesome in-depth preview there Dread, made me smile :)

Jumping alone is not the best way to deal with enemies – there's a split second as you're jumping where Sonic is not a spinning ball, leaving him open to attack. Once you're reached the apex of your jump, you also stop spinning – again, leaving you open to attack. For enemies where you can't use a homing attack, that can get frustrating.

The SEGA Forums are going to have a ball with this. "UNCURLING ZOMG, THIS GAME FAILS. F**K YOU SEGA!!" :lol:

Jumping on Enemies isn't the best idea but homing attack is a better choice.

maybe Dread was talking about the ending part of tropical resort act 2, which had uncurl *gets shot*.

but really how bad could it get? Dread enjoyed 25 hours play time :)

Wow... the entirety of that sounds pretty perfect :D

I just hope they fix the spin, it sounds like what happened in Sonic Adventure 2. The only difference though is that in that game, while Sonic was falling, he still had an aura around him, which had the same effect on enemies as the spin jump did. They could easily do that to Sonic and that would fix the problem.

...but considering that was the only problem mentioned in the preview, it sounds outstanding. They really put some actual love and care into this one, and hopefully it'll be reflected in the game's reception.

And 3 zones were locked off? Sounds like this game's full of replayability :D Thanks a ton for the preview Dread, it's good to know that this time, they nailed it. And unlike the past titles, that's not referring to another nail in the franchise's coffin.

But I don't wanna ask to much or be at all spoiled, but besides the acts in each level and the boss, were there any side missions or mini-games (besides game planet)? :P

Edited by EXshad