Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

44 minutes ago, Eitarou said:

This is a kids comic, after all.

Now I know why they can't use Eggman "Nega"...

49 minutes ago, Detective Reptiles said:

To be honest, Falke isn't a good substitution if (and it's very likely) they were trying to avoid it sounding like the swear. I guess maybe in America people would pronounce it as if they were saying "falcon" and it's okay, but here, I put it closer to sounding like "Fawke" (as in Guy Fawkes), which is probably even closer to it than Focke!

I've been prouncing it in my head as "folk".

• Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, Ernest-Panda said:

I've been prouncing it in my head as "folk".

That's pretty good. I approve of this.

27 minutes ago, SilverStarN64 said:

Now I know why they can't use Eggman "Nega"...

Except they've been calling him Dr. Nega since he was first mentioned.

Which reminds me, considering they're able to reference the games and events Nega appears in, I still don't understand why SEGA's not letting him appear. I mean, we have enough going on, I know, it's just odd at this point.

Can't say I really understand the spelling change for Focke-Wolf/Falke-Wolf--if the pronunciation is the same, and it was changed for it sort of looking like a swear word, I'm not sure what difference it'll make besides maybe confusing people on how it's supposed to be said.

In any case, I'm glad the drought's over, so I can't wait to go pick up my books at the end of the week!

1 minute ago, Zaysho said:

I almost forgot that he was namedropped in Pirate Plunder Panic...and the Pre-Reboot. Guess he didn't really strike me as "memorable" back then.

6 minutes ago, Zaysho said:

Which reminds me, considering they're able to reference the games and events Nega appears in, I still don't understand why SEGA's not letting him appear.

All they really have to do is get him involved with "Genesis Nexus". That dimension is pretty similar to the Cosmic Interstate. With Dr. Nega learning about the Genesis Portals, he could cause as much havoc and chaos as he wants, in both Silver's timeline and Blaze's dimension. Possibly other zones too...which suits his character quite well.

13 minutes ago, Zaysho said:

Which reminds me, considering they're able to reference the games and events Nega appears in, I still don't understand why SEGA's not letting him appear. I mean, we have enough going on, I know, it's just odd at this point.

Can't say I really understand the spelling change for Focke-Wolf/Falke-Wolf--if the pronunciation is the same, and it was changed for it sort of looking like a swear word, I'm not sure what difference it'll make besides maybe confusing people on how it's supposed to be said.

In any case, I'm glad the drought's over, so I can't wait to go pick up my books at the end of the week!

Honestly, at this point, it wouldn't surprise me if it was another mandate to do with Penders. I know Nega is a SEGA character, but after the whole mess with the robotic Robotniks and everything in the comics, maybe SEGA just want them to refer to it as one Eggman, and maybe Classic Eggman if it's stretched. Similar to how they mandated to stop having multiple Metal Sonics due to them making Metal look weaker by comparison.

• Thumbs Up 1

K, read the issue.

Seems they've kept the Kukku's the same as before the Genesis Wave even with the Egg Boss rank. Figured they would.

Only got a small glimpse of Conquering Storm, so can't say much about her other than how eager I am to see her in action. 

A pretty good start for Eggman's arc, so I can't wait to see more!

• Thumbs Up 6

I'm so glad that they got rid of that absurd "diaper-like" harness on Speedy. Back in the Pre-Reboot, I couldn't take him seriously at all. He actually looks more serious and intimidating here in the Post-Reboot. 

14 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

I know Nega is a SEGA character, but after the whole mess with the robotic Robotniks and everything in the comics, maybe SEGA just want them to refer to it as one Eggman, and maybe Classic Eggman if it's stretched. Similar to how they mandated to stop having multiple Metal Sonics due to them making Metal look weaker by comparison.

That actually makes a lot of sense when you put it that way. One "Eggman" and one "Metal Sonic"...I can live with that. I won't be missing Captain Metal anytime soon, that's for sure. Too bad Silver got stuck with the most unoriginal "Organization XIII" wannabe villains in Onyx City. The Second Devourer was pretty cool though.

3 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Honestly, at this point, it wouldn't surprise me if it was another mandate to do with Penders. I know Nega is a SEGA character, but after the whole mess with the robotic Robotniks and everything in the comics, maybe SEGA just want them to refer to it as one Eggman, and maybe Classic Eggman if it's stretched. Similar to how they mandated to stop having multiple Metal Sonics due to them making Metal look weaker by comparison.

I doubt it, honestly. Nega's been under mandate since before Penders's nonsense, and as easy as it is to point fingers at him, I just can't see it. Nega doesn't even have any similarities to Robo-Robotnik or Dr. Droid or whoever. If the issue is having multiple characters with the name "Eggman" then the easy solution is just to drop the "Eggman" part of his name and continue to refer to him as Dr. Nega, even though it'll be obvious to everyone else who he is (though I can't say that makes sense, being a SEGA character, but it'd at least be consistent with past references in the comics). If it's still the same character, it shouldn't make a difference, especially with the events the character's been directly involved in being free to use.

5 minutes ago, SilverStarN64 said:

I'm so glad that they got rid of that absurd "diaper-like" harness on Speedy. Back in the Pre-Reboot, I couldn't take him seriously at all. He actually looks more serious and intimidating here in the Post-Reboot. 

I kinda found it amusing since the comic didn't really shy away from pointing it out, and he was still a capable character. Though, I can't say I'm upset if they changed it. The whole "flight harness" thing didn't make much sense if they're supposed to be able to fly naturally in the first place.

Is Speedy a white bird with a green helmet now or is he still mistakenly green?

Well that bites. With all these big purple guys and green birds, Archie must have a problem with color variety in characters.

Seriously, it's not hard to give a character a different color.

• Thumbs Up 2

Well they're going more by his official design - how would he be Speedy if he was a different color? That's like changing Sonic red and calling him the same character.

• Thumbs Up 3

Just now, ChaosSupremeSonic said:

Well they're going more by his official design - how would he be Speedy if he was a different color? That's like changing Sonic red and calling him the same character.

Sega Sonic Bros. would like to have a word with you. :P

On a more serious note, while I do like variety, I really don't care what color Speedy is. It's all about the personality and actions that "make" the character for me. I will admit that Trevor Burrow could've been a different color though...

Just now, SilverStarN64 said:

Sega Sonic Bros. would like to have a word with you. :P

On a more serious note, while I do like variety, I really don't care what color Speedy is. It's all about the personality and actions that "make" the character for me. I will admit that Trevor Burrow could've been a different color though...

What, they changed his color there?

I think personality and actions are more flexible than appearance. You can give the same personality and actions different strengths, weaknesses, and reasons and people can still recognize the character. Not so much appearance, which is usually the first thing people notice before they know the character. 

That's not saying you can turn someone like Sonic into a callous asshole and people see him as Sonic, but that you can get away with different degrees if how you present him. One example being how they've given Sonic more emotional vulnerability or make him incapable of doing everything on his own here in Archie compare to the games after Unleashed (or arguably Colors).

2 minutes ago, ChaosSupremeSonic said:

What, they changed his color there?

No, that was just an inside joke. I was mainly referring to the red Sonic and yellow Sonic shown there.

5 minutes ago, ChaosSupremeSonic said:

That's not saying you can turn someone like Sonic into a callous asshole and people see him as Sonic, but that you can get away with different degrees if how you present him.

Fleetway Sonic was such an unlikable jerk in STC. I couldn't stand the way he kept abusing Tails there...:angry:

23 minutes ago, ChaosSupremeSonic said:

If he was a different colour to his official design...he'd be a green bird because it seems white is his feather colour in the games while green is the colour of the armour. 

I dunno, I don't like Speedy's redesign...it looks better than diapers, but now it looks more like something to wear for wrestling than flying. Maybe because it emphasize his legs more? Also he looks too much like Bean now. It would've been better if he wore a vest or jacket like Drawloverlala's design because it looks more "flying" themed, focus on his upper half of the body and keeps his game look.

I guess the wolf looks better (I am still angry about his cheek), the bear is plain but not much disturbing anymore, but my god the rabbit...why does she look like a curvy adult version of cream. I'm guessing she is more human-proportioned than Rouge because of the artstyle, but uuuugh. It bothered me before that they changed her ribbon while keeping the males identical to their counterpart, but oh dear its gonna take me a long time to get used to her.

I'm talking too negatively, so some good parts...loving Thunderbolt. She's one of the design I am totally happy about, and it was annoying to me that more than half of Eggman's army is unwilling or disloyal so its funny and a relief to see her reaction. 

1 minute ago, Ernest-Panda said:

I just noticed something: the Battle Lord isn't wearing heels anymore.

So much for him being a "Sweet Transvestite" that's voiced by Tim Curry...

About Speedy and the Battle Lord, the whole colouring thing, isn't the Battle Lord wearing green tights and shoes rolled into one in the original art. His feathers that do stick out of the clothes are white, so technically he's likely white coloured underneath the clothes just like Speedy was in the games art under his armour.

Got to say, while I don't mind what they did with the other two, even Ian's name change is acceptable, what with that new info and all, even if it is all a bit overly PC protective for my liking. But Bearanger just seems too simple in his redesign. I mean I know he's rather basic to begin with, but considering the redesigns some of the characters have been given his rather basic gloves and shoes with a plain old bear looking character attached just seems...kinda unimpressive. Like hes lacking in character and personality without even opening his mouth. Personal opinion here but yeah, wasn't impressed.

• Thumbs Up 6

7 hours ago, Razorsaw said:

I imagine Speedy is rendered as a green bird because him and Battle Kukku are supposed to be father and son.

... why would you alter a white bird to be green to show him as the son of another bird when the other bird is brown?

surprise surprise I don't like the redesigns. of the witchcrafters at least, havent seen the kukku yet (throw a coin into "I hate they're egg bosses" though).

bearenger looks boring. just straight out boring.

carrotia looks eh-ish. the best of the three but still a touch bland. not very similar to the game one at all, either.

focke-wulf... the new name sounds off for me, but I do like Ian's logic for choosing it. Design-wise, not only does he look like a disaster to me, he's not even a disaster I can understand. he doesn't look like the game character, ok. but being a wolf, why doesn't he even look like, say, lupe? so Archie isn't using the logic of "wolves' faces look like nack" I'd have preferred, fine. but having a wolf look like pretty much just a sonic face?

and then to make it all even more boring, there's more of ian's sometimes reductionist groupings that worked great when reducing penders' mess but now feel too much. "oh they have flying machines? IT'S CLEARLY EXTREME GEAR! and nevermind that the games have wildly different and fun extreme gear and thus we could give them fun vehicles more directly based in the game, IT'S ALL BOARDS BECAUSE IT'S ALWAYS ALL BOARDS!"

they might as well have just used drawloverlala's designs instead, especially as they already bothered tra- heavily referencing her drawing of fockewulf for a cover anyways.

• Thumbs Up 1

Bearenger in this image for example is more what I assumed a redesign would result in. Adding a little something, a little extra zing, to the otherwise plain character, like has been done a lot in the past to give older characters new life.

unnamed.png

• Thumbs Up 9