Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

Just now, SilverStarN64 said:

Indeed. I don't see what's wrong with adding Eggman Nega in the comics. He's the perfect antagonist for both Silver and Blaze.

The only problem I possibly see is the problem shadow might be running into soon. Which is time and the urgency his story presentments. While yes time in comic book land passes way slower and is constantly pintailed back, like how peter parker has been spider man in our reality way longer than in the 616, iirc its about 15 20 years. That said the time passing in our reality is very much a thing and effects our perceptions of events. So when you present the black arms, a force that if left to their own devices can multiply and start eating away at the planet, as a potential and urgent threat... and not address years.. no matter how little time actually passed in the comic... its really really weird. Like in a sense, why even start up this much stuff if you aren't going to get around to addressing it for this long. And on that same token of our real time effecting the books, and I have seen this happen before in the other comics I have read. A lot of times when this sort thing , the viewer has lost all interest antagonist as a threatening thing. And that's kind of what I fear eclipse, we get back to him, and we just don't give a shit. I mean a bunch of new stuff is happening in this new post reboot sonic universe, and shadow is in a corner fighting some goober who is supposed to be threatening and urgent, who we haven't seen for literal years. You bring a character back, after that long, you might not care to see them finish whatever it was they were doing. You might be ready to something else with that character. 

And that's my fear, they have to set up eggman nega as a thing that when revisited will be interesting, and having pull other sections of the story as to make the world look larger and interspersed. Making the world look larger, giving him pull in different sections of the plot and such.  Instead of shadow going to fight the alien, and then .. just being gone even though its sort of urgent. They are going to have to try REALLY hard to get me to keep caring about eclipse after all this time, especially with all these new faces introduced for shadow to punch. 

Make eggman nega relevant to the plot at large, and therefore threatening. Instead of telling us he is supposed to be... and nothing. 

What else can we do? SEGA isn't gonna listen to random people wanting more Dr. Nega. They listened to "more Wisps", they did that, and people disliked it.

Anyway, other than Nega, any other game characters that are mandated?

I know Tiara and Gazebo can't be brought in because they aren't technically official.

12 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

Make eggman nega relevant to the plot at large, and therefore threatening.

He could accomplish this by gaining access to the Genesis Portals as well as taking over "Genesis Nexus". With all of this power, he could do whatever he feels like.

6 minutes ago, Arranos said:

Anyway, other than Nega, any other game characters that are mandated?

Mephiles, Shade, and Pir'Oth Ix are a few examples. Not sure about Lumina and Void...

I feel like you could wrangle the Nega thing fairly easy by simply presenting his origins and dual role as a mystery rather than letting it go by as a simple plot hole.  It's not even hard to explain.  At some point in the future, after many battles with Silver, he ends up in the Sol dimension in its relative past and starts tangling with Blaze instead.  Only one instance of time-travel is required to explain how he can be in both places simultaneously.  Maybe not even that, if the temporal relationship between Sonic's world and Blaze's world is non-concurrent, which would also account for Blaze showing up in both Sonic and Silver's time.  It just needs a little long-term investment.

• Thumbs Up 5

Sooooo...just read SU83 on the Archie App. Picking up from where the preview pages left off:

Eggman is immediately attacked by the Witchcarters (Falke Wulf, Bearenger the Grizzly and Carrotia the Rabbit). Eggman isn't too phased at first, remarking that Tails already took these guys down on his own (even before stepping out of Sonic's shadow) and commands Metal Sonic to despose of them before they alert any real trouble. Eggman's dismisal of the trio causes Bearenger to go apeshit and he batters Metal with these strange new dark energy powers. Fulke and Carrotia then decide show off their own dark energy powers, causing Eggman to duck back into his Egg Clam, and realises they stole the dark energy from him.

The battle continues when the twins suddenly appear, Wendy striking the Egg Clam with crystal magic. Eggman commands Metal to go full-on frontal assault, warning him to focus on Wendy, since Wally has been powerless since he set off the Genesis Wave. Walter hastily proves him wrong by striking Eggman with crystal magic. "STOP GAINING NEW ABILITIES!" Eggman yells, who then notices Walter is wearing Master Emerald shards around his neck. Metal Sonic heads toward Walter only for the bot to he stopped by Wendy. Bearenger is about to smash the crystallized Metal, before Walter orders him not to, saying he might have a use for this puppet.

Realising he's outmatched, Eggman retreats. He decides he needs his own strike force to take out the twins. Getting back to base (I'm assuming it's the Death Egg: it's never stated otherwise), he quickly gets onto contacting his Egg Bosses:

-Nephthys (in the same scene from the end of "Face of the Enemy")

-Clove

-Thunderbolt (we see her very Eggman-centric bedroom, complete with a classic Eggman blush toy)

-The Battle Lord (accompanies by a slightly redesigned Speedy; he's swapped his flight harness for a red and white leotard)

-Ahklut

-Abyss the Squid

-Tundra

-Mordred Hood

-Axel

-Conquering Storm

-Maw the Thylacine

The story ends with a showcasing of Eggman and all aforementioned Egg Bosses.

• Thumbs Up 6

Also, the Witchcarters seem to have their own Extreme Gears (why am I not surprised?)...

Witchcarters

I certainly didn't expect Carrotia to look like that. Rouge and Zeena definitely have some competition there!

• Thumbs Up 6

1 hour ago, SilverStarN64 said:

Also, the Witchcarters seem to have their own Extreme Gears (why am I not surprised?)...

Witchcarters

I certainly didn't expect Carrotia to look like that. Rouge and Zeena definitely have some competition there!

Well it is admittedly some time after skypatrol, and retired Sega characters can age

1 hour ago, SilverStarN64 said:

Witchcarters

Well it is admittedly some time after skypatrol, and retired Sega characters can age

• Thumbs Up 1

I'll give some additional thoughts because why not (based on the issue, not guesswork);

-Kinda iffy on Carrotia's personality here. She's a silent Femme Fatale. Oh joys (yeah, even her Dark Gaia energy is in the shape of a kiss she blows). If you're curious about the other two, Bearenger is basically a berserker while Falke Wulf is very, very giggly (pretty much everything he says is extended at the start because he's doing that). I guess he's supposed to be a bit unstable. 

-The story seems to be trying to throw you two ways about who the twelfth member is. On the one hand, you have Wendy's history and her overall look. On the other hand, Eggman has an out of nowhere thought about Julian Snively. How...convenient. 

-Goddamnit Wendy and your mini-Egg Mobile!

-I love how Thunderbolt is so desperate that she took a photo of Eggman posing with Metal Sonic and slapped her own face over Metal Sonic's. 

-It seems The Battle Kukku are still more independent of Eggman than other Egg Boss factions, because it's even mentioned how unusual it is that he's being called on. Oh, and Speedy's redesign is sooo much better than his pre-reboot design. He may still be green and have a bandana scarf like Bean (and the white race jumpsuit is reminiscent of the Sonic Riders concept art, so clearly they'll be playing with that idea), but he looks far more original than the not-Jet of before, his beak is actually the right shape, he looks sleek which is a key aspect of the game design, and I like the touch that Speedy doesn't have defined eye ridges, which is an element shared with other young male characters like Tails and Charmy, putting emphasis on him being the son of the Battle Lord. 

-Akhlut is clearly just done with Eggman. 

-Abyss on the cover we saw before: Yay I'm a happy jolly girly character! Actual Abyss; This basically. She doesn't care what job she gets as long as she can do that.

-Tundra is clearly not happy with being made to submit to Eggman's demands. I'm sure that'll be future fodder between him and Rotor.

-Mordred keeps changing his look! This time he's much closer to his debut look way back in SU#37 instead of his Chaotix Quest/StH#254 look. Also I'm not sure if he's worried about being dragged into combat when he's not a fighter...or just lamenting the snake puns.

-Conquering Storm definitely seems more bloodthirsty even in this one panel (before she was more just about proving strength for her whole honour business). Also her grunt looked like a regular cat, so yeah, her clan isn't species exclusive any more.

-Maw is a Thylacine! I totally called it! And he also talks about the mission being a test run for his modifications, so he's clearly the newest Egg Boss. Oh, and why is he called Maw? This is why.

-This issue has that same weird thing of having a small fanart section and two off-panels, just like StH#279 which originally has a bigger section and only one off-panel (although this one's called the Double Dose, so if there was suddenly an issue with showing certain fanart content, they caught it further in advance here. 

-We've seen the Walter concept art before, but not Wendy. Interesting points; She's actually bald under the hat (and gives it more symmetry with Walter), there's a smaller horn on top of her head under the hat and her tri-claw is on the opposite side to Walter's.

-Off-panel #1 is about Orbot opening his gob at the wrong time. Features a Tails Doll cameo.

-Off-panel #2 is about the UCSSSSS Squad.

• Thumbs Up 4

41 minutes ago, Mando-Whirl-Wind said:

Fair point. I'm really impressed with these designs.

Looking back at it again, I just realized that the Extreme Gears they're riding are based off the vehicles they were piloting in Tails' Skypatrol.

God, this sounds up my alley.

As someone who's been in love with thylacines, I am over the freaking moon to be seeing one in this comic.  Bravo to Ian for giving love to less known corners of the animal kingdom.

• Thumbs Up 6

Just now, SilverStarN64 said:

Witchcarters

they look nice! Carrotia seems to be a super chill girl :D hah

hmm Bearenger's shoes and glove cuffs' colors doesn't mach too well.. but since they are on an angle that i can not see the entire design of those.. then its ok ^_^

• Thumbs Up 4

That basically is the entire design, the shoes are just a simple single stripe. 

PS: Mordred isn't perhaps a tactician Silver, he explicitly calls himself a leader instead of a fighter within the issue. That's why you shouldn't go with too much additional flair when passing off other's text as your own :P 

So, does no one else notice that Falke has the wrong colouring?

latest?cb=20160115180922

Notice the purple colour scheme he has here.

I would have sooner said that the cover's wrong instead. I mean, that wouldn't be the first mistake it made; the muzzle on the cover is clearly based off Fang, whereas in the comic he looks more like he's based off Shadow, or perhaps even a mix of Sonic and Shadow.

In fact, let me tell you right now; there's a shot of Falke that looks very similar to Shadow, and he's with Carrotia who looks a lot like a Rouge and Cream mix, so it's kinda hard not to think of them as an alternate team Dark.

Speaking of Carrotia, here's one design choice that's really weird; her ear bows are purple. In spite of the rest of her clothing being red and blue-green. 

Oh boy. These spoilers are mighty interesting. Can't wait to see these results myself, cuz it looks like I'm gonna LOVE the new Conquering Storm

4 hours ago, SilverStarN64 said:

Witchcarters

Damn she is way curvier than I expected from Tracy Yardley. Hope that doesn't come off creepy I'm just surprised. Tracy doesn't normally do that. 

oh, i cannot wait to see all the action and especially backstabing unfold seeing how its clear more than half the bosses DONT want to work here.

I wasn't expecting Carrotia to have a Rouge-esque body figure, their are very few gals with Rouges body type.

I'm actually surprised that they changed his name from Focke-Wulf to Falke Wulf. To be honest, I like the new name change. It sounds more classy and unique. I'm still curious as to why he's even on the cover of STH Issue 284. I do wonder if Wendy will betray her own brother at the end of the arc...

A Thylacine? Have we had an extinct species used for a Mobian before? I guess pre-reboot counts, too. I cannot for the life of me think of any.

Obviously they're not extinct here, but I wonder if they'll reference it here. Maybe it'll be why Maw joined.

3 minutes ago, Eitarou said:

Hide contents

A Thylacine? Have we had an extinct species used for a Mobian before? I guess pre-reboot counts, too. I cannot for the life of me think of any.

Obviously they're not extinct here, but I wonder if they'll reference it here. Maybe it'll be why Maw joined.

Wouldn't Mammoth Mogul technically count?

1 minute ago, Detective Reptiles said:

Hide contents

Wouldn't Mammoth Mogul technically count?

Ah right.

7 minutes ago, SilverStarN64 said:

I'm actually surprised that they changed his name from Focke-Wulf to Falke Wulf. To be honest. I like the new name change. It sounds more classy and unique. I'm still curious as to why he's even on the cover of STH Issue 284. I do wonder if Wendy will betray her own brother at the end of the arc...

If I had to guess, it's probably to prevent any problems that may occur from someone mispronouncing or misreading "Focke." This is a kids comic, after all.

• Thumbs Up 5

14 minutes ago, SilverStarN64 said:

I'm actually surprised that they changed his name from Focke-Wulf to Falke Wulf.

Maybe they worried it sounded a bit too close to the F-word.

To be honest, Falke isn't a good substitution if (and it's very likely) they were trying to avoid it sounding like the swear. I guess maybe in America people would pronounce it as if they were saying "falcon" and it's okay, but here, I put it closer to sounding like "Fawke" (as in Guy Fawkes), which is probably even closer to it than Focke!

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh wow! I remember musing to myself upon his revelation that Archie might change Focke-Wulf's name due to it sounding a little like the f-word. Lo and behold, they actually did it :lol: 

Edited by Kaotic Kanine
  • Thumbs Up 2