Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

Yeah, I assume they are either still searching for Eclipse, or their after the Master Emerald shards likely due to Snively pulling some strings at HQ.  

But yeah, it seems like the Naugus Twins are up to something again.

• Thumbs Up 1

I had better hope and pray that Dr. Julian Snively gets his "just desserts" from Shadow and Madonna Garnet soon...

Well, I just got back after screaming into my pillow. Cover reactions:

STH 285 Normal: Well, at least we're getting it.

STH 285 Variant: Is that Evan's art? IT IS!!! AWESOME!!!

SU 88 Normal: PLEASE LET NIXUS BE THRASH WITH A SCOURGE-LIKE REDESIGN!!!

I say that because Thrash's eyes are green. Nixus' eyes are red. Scourge's colors inverses Sonic's. It looks like Nixus inverts Knuckles' colors.

As much as I don't want to say it, it could be Naugus disguising himself as an Echidna. Please let this be wrong and we get a "new" character.

Though, I wouldn't mind Naugus being the main enemy for Knuckles.

SU 88 Variant: Cool. Game references. (I'm sorry, I never played S3&K.)

3 minutes ago, Arranos said:

SU 88 Variant: Cool. Game references. (I'm sorry, I never played S3&K.)

Shame on you. go play it.

Anyways, yeah wonder how Penders is gonna react to seeing a new "echidna".

1 hour ago, ChaosSupremeSonic said:

Not really? They haven't gotten any more than Knuckles has. And that's not including pre-reboot, which makes Silver the most featuring character.

And they no doubt got in because they were planned to be there from the start, so what exactly is the problem here? It's not like they're hogging the spotlight.

Well, I was counting pre-reboot. Silver? Hm, perhaps.

My previous comment wasn't meant to sound like I have that much problem with it. More like just stating half-serious opinion.

Edit: thought, I suppose some might find problem with that Shadow may take some spotlight from Amy

I was very surprised to see that they may be introducing a new Echidna, though seeing the name and what the arc is about, I'm not convinced it's a real Echidna. If Naugus still has his shard by the end of the upcoming "Eggman's Dozen" arc, I would expect him to try to trick Knuckles in some way, and this seems like the best way to do it. Also wouldn't surprise me if there are restrictions in place about Echidna characters specifically. Though I can't say I'd have a problem if we could get a new Echidna out of all this, I don't see it happening. "Shattered" is looking to be really interesting, especially since Team Dark are slated to come back as well.

2 minutes ago, goku262002 said:

I don't think even Pen could make a case unless there's some vague similarity he, or his legal team, wants to latch onto (see the Nocturnus). I guess you couldn't put it past him, though.

22 minutes ago, goku262002 said:

Shame on you. go play it.

If Penders does attack from this, I bet the Nocturnus will be banned from the comic for real, and Tikal's role will be reduced to background filler. Maybe SEGA even gets rid of all of the mystical Echidna things and forces Knuckles into his braindead Boom self with the buttmonkey elements of the later Sega games.

I can see Penders trying to make a court argument that any echidna character in Sonic is somehow infringing on his copyright, only for the obvious answer of "Yeah, but you didn't copyright the actual animal Echidna, so therefore you don't have a case"

Oh it's Naugus. It's definitely Naugus. Those gloves, the belt, that coloring, his eyes. It's Nixus Naugus.

I'm actually a little disappointed with how obvious they made it. I had been thinking about the idea of a new echidna that was actually someone else in disguise (in my case the ghost of a dead echidna cultist who believed humans were a scourge on the planet) but that's just disrespecting our intelligence right there.

• Thumbs Up 1

To anyone who believes that the character "Nixus" is Thrash or a new echidna...you're wrong. Here's why:

-It can't be a new echidna because SEGA made it perfectly clear that Knuckles was meant to be the last of his kind. SEGA won't allow any more echidnas because of this.

-It's not Thrash because he became Penders' agent after the lawsuit hit, and removed all of the comic-created echidnas at the time for him. He's part of the in-universe reason of why they're all gone. Eggman being the other but at least there was a memory wipe for Knuckles. Case in point, whenever people see Thrash...they see Penders.

The only other logical explanation is none other than Walter Naugus himself. The user "N'egga Man" pretty much made this theory possible. Just think about it. He IS a wizard, after all. This shouldn't be much of a surprise to anyone. Even the name alone was a dead giveaway. Not to mention his eye color and glove pattern...look carefully at that cover. The solicit also made it very obvious: "But is this strange newcomer everything he seems to be?"

You know the fact that they've been building up the troll civilization so far, makes me believe that the Echidnas had a past rivalry with the trolls in the Post-Reboot universe. Thus Naugus will become a more personal antagonist for Knuckles, because of ancestral hatred.

(By the way, thank you "Inspector Shaddy" for confirming the "Nixus" theory while I was creating my response.)

I'm honestly kinda surprised that, out of the post-reboot (non-crossover) comics, only two full arcs haven't revolved around Sonic's red rivals ("Pirate Plunder Panic" & "Spark of Life"). So far we've had a Shadow arc, a Knuckles arc, a Shadow AND Knuckles team-up arc, and what could potentially be ANOTHER team-up arc. Then again, we only know about half the issues. Maybe things'll change up more when we see the third part's info.

4 hours ago, N'egga Man said:

Huh, haven't touched this account for ages. I really should start commenting again.

Anyway, I'm damn-near certain it's Naugus in disguise. I can list 3 good reasons as to why:

Reveal hidden contents

1) The solicit mentions Knuckles and Co. being on Angel Island (specifically, around the Hidden Palace Zone) in this part, and Relic previously noted in "Total Eclipse" that Angel Island had some ancient Troll technology. Naugus is now officially a troll, so...

2) We know that "Shattered" seems primarily focused on Knux and Amy restoring the Master Emerald while Sonic saves the world. And in Naugus' most recent appearances before this arc ("Back in Business" & "Eggman's Dozen") he appears to be using a Master Emerald Shard to restore his magic. Now how would Knuckles be able to get that last piece otherwise?

3) "Nixus" seems to be a purple "echidna" with red eyes, just like Naugus' clothing and eye colours, respectively. Plus, the name "Nixus" itself sounds like Ian picked it for a reason. I mean, "N"(augus) + "ixus" (similar to Ixis) just screams "it's totally Naugus!" to me, real-life word or not.

Sure, maybe there's the slightest chance of it being someone/something else, but if Ian himself has noted that people have already started to figure it out, then I doubt it's anyone but Naugus at this point.

Pretty good theory. Yeah, I can now definitely see it being Naugus, which I hope it is. I don't think the comics need anymore echidna's again other than just Knuckles. If this really is Naugus, then he could potentially mess with Knuckles emotionally regarding the fact that he's the only echidna left and he's all alone protecting the Master Emerald once his cover is blown. Not sure if any of that would really bother Knuckles, but eh.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Detective Reptiles said:

Silver Age wasn't that bad. 

Wast that good either.

Just now, Dejimon11 said:

Wast that good either.

The point is that people are forgetting that it happened when it was literally the last arc to happen. 

38 minutes ago, Dejimon11 said:

Wast that good either.

That Universe arc redeemed Silver. Why are people forgetting this? It wasn't just about Gold, the Council, or the Second Devourer. The main focus was Silver himself. You people act like this is the worst Universe arc just because of the side characters being bad or boring, yet you don't even acknowledge Silver in his own arc? The whole purpose of that arc was to introduce the readers to Silver's new background and how he lives his own lifestyle. He has his own home and saved a citizen from the Civil Protection Robots. We get to see Silver do his own thing in his own time, not being a "plot device" whenever the situation call for it. It certainly didn't help that he had multiple failures trying to kill a traitor.

Silver is also more polite and confident here than any other portrayal he had in the past (aside from Sonic Colors DS). As a matter of fact, he's not even an expy of Trunks from DBZ. He's pretty much "Sora" from Kingdom Hearts who explores different zones and helps get rid of any Genesis Portals. I approve of this plotline because it's something new and original opposed from the typical "someone wrecked my future" cliché in the Sonic games or DBZ. It's simple and easy to understand, not something that's complicated or going on longer than it needed to be (traitor plotline). In the Post-Reboot, he's a lot easier to relate and connect with.

Whenever Silver gets an arc, don't focus just on the "secondary characters" or the "negatives". Try to examine Silver himself a little more clearly in his own stories. You should realize that whenever we see a brand new background or environment that's being introduced to Silver in his new arc, you can't get ALL of your answers right from the get-go. You have to wait patiently and discover those answers later on in a sequel, because more will be revealed there. It's all part of the mystery and hype that it shows for future development.

• Thumbs Up 1

20 minutes ago, SilverStarN64 said:

Silver is also more polite and confident here than any other portrayal he had in the past (aside from Sonic Colors DS).

minor gripe. Just my inner fandom raging as I am the self proclaimed lure keeper of all things handheld - but I wouldn't call Colors DS his most polite appearance. Confident sure, but the dude was so cocky and ego driven in that game that he was "this" close to throwing fists with Blaze over which one of the two was more capable for the task of distributing justice via violence. Silver was far more polite in his run through rivals. Despite being antagonistic in his motives, dude was about as sympathetic about the situations as possible.

just a tiny nitpick.

I think I agree with your point at large though. Silver age gets a bit of an unfair shake. I wouldn't personally rank it very highly in the pantheon of great arc's but it does accomplish what it sets out to do well enough and gives Silver something to build on in the future. Its nice to see them utilize him for something else other than future man with a doomsday message.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, SilverStarN64 said:

That Universe arc redeemed Silver. Why are people forgetting this? It wasn't just about Gold, the Council, or the Second Devourer. The main focus was Silver himself. You people act like this is the worst Universe arc just because of the side characters being bad or boring, yet you don't even acknowledge Silver in his own arc? The whole purpose of that arc was to introduce the readers to Silver's new background and how he lives his own lifestyle. He has his own home and saved a citizen from the Civil Protection Robots. We get to see Silver do his own thing in his own time, not being a "plot device" whenever the situation call for it. It certainly didn't help that he had multiple failures trying to kill a traitor.

Silver is also more polite and confident here than any other portrayal he had in the past (aside from Sonic Colors DS). As a matter of fact, he's not even an expy of Trunks from DBZ. He's pretty much "Sora" from Kingdom Hearts who explores different zones and helps get rid of any Genesis Portals. I approve of this plotline because it's something new and original opposed from the typical "someone wrecked my future" cliché in the Sonic games or DBZ. It's simple and easy to understand, not something that's complicated or going on longer than it needed to be (traitor plotline). In the Post-Reboot, he's a lot easier to relate and connect with.

Whenever Silver gets an arc, don't focus just on the "secondary characters" or the "negatives". Try to examine Silver himself a little more clearly in his own stories. You should realize that whenever we see a brand new background or environment that's being introduced to Silver in his new arc, you can't get ALL of your answers right from the get-go. You have to wait patiently and discover those answers later on in a sequel, because more will be revealed there. It's all part of the mystery and hype that it shows for future development.

I liked the Silver arc and thought it was a good arc. It's good that the arc did focus on Silver himself and introduced us to his world and what he's currently having to deal with in the new universe, but, well, the biggest flaw with the arc itself I think is that all the other side characters in the arc are just...okay. Well, except for maybe the professor himself. I found his accent to be great, I enjoyed Silver's interactions with him the most, and he had some great comedy moments in general. (Extra points go for him creating the cute Bits and even explaining the past Sonic/Eggman event that ended up causing an effect on the world.) But back to the side characters being boring, I'm mostly speaking about Gold, the city council members, and heck, the monster of the week, Second Devourer. The main arc is about Silver, yes, but if you're going to throw in other characters into the arc, at the very least make them standout a bit. Out of all the new characters introduced so far post reboot, I honestly found Phage and Gold to be the most boring ones. I know somewhere on Tumblr Evan Stanely said something about Gold would probably be remembered for being a "brilliant civic planner and leader", but where exactly was the leading skills truly at in the arc? Maybe I need to re-read the arc, but from what I remember mostly with her, she was scared about different things happening, and using her telepathy powers at times and having to calm down using them. I mean, she at least gets points for helping the professor out towards the end with the Bigger-Maker Machine during the end with the Second Devourer, but yeah... 

I honestly kinda wish that the arc itself would have explored Onyx City a bit more. I enjoy looking at the concept art that was provided in one of the issues on Onyx City because the place looks pretty beautiful. A key moment I enjoyed in the beginning was seeing Silver save a kid from one of the robots, and I wish that in the arc we would have had Silver talking and interacting a bit more with the residents to give readers a better idea of how others feel about the current system in the city. You could probably tell from the first couple pages in part 1 that the system isn't all that great (especially when you have someone not wanting to work and struggling to break free from the robot grip), but you know, it does no harm getting other people viewpoints to really drive the point home about the place. 

Oh yeah. The ending. The arc just kinda ends and...? I wish it didn't end like that and instead just kept them where they were at, but that's just me. I do look forward to wherever they end up at in the future, though.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Detective Reptiles said:

Nixus is a legitimate word looking it up. As a noun, it means strain. Now, what can you do when you're straining? I don't know, maybe thrash?

Strain as in variation, or aspect of something greater, like a Strain of a disease... or perhaps a separated aspect of a personality, perhaps we're going to get a clone created by a Master Emerald fragment?

• Thumbs Up 2

14 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

minor gripe. Just my inner fandom raging as I am the self proclaimed lure keeper of all things handheld - but I wouldn't call Colors DS his most polite appearance. Confident sure, but the dude was so cocky and ego driven in that game that he was "this" close to throwing fists with Blaze over which one of the two was more capable for the task of distributing justice via violence. Silver was far more polite in his run through rivals. Despite being antagonistic in his motives, dude was about as sympathetic about the situations as possible.

just a tiny nitpick.

I think I agree with your point at large though. Silver age gets a bit of an unfair shake. I wouldn't personally rank it very highly in the pantheon of great arc's but it does accomplish what it sets out to do well enough and gives Silver something to build on in the future. Its nice to see them utilize him for something else other than future man with a doomsday message.

Regarding Sonic Colors DS, I was referring to him being nice and friendly towards Sonic. He didn't try to murder him for an absurd reason and he didn't try to bully Tails.

1 hour ago, SilverStarN64 said:

I didn't hate it I just didn't find it to that interesting. While I do applaud them from doing something different I just getting tired of the whole Silver is from a doomed future storyline. I understand that it was just to introduce us to his world but I think it just took to long to get to it's point.  

11 minutes ago, Dejimon11 said:

I didn't hate it I just didn't find it to that interesting. While I do applaud them from doing something different I just getting tired of the whole Silver is from a doomed future storyline. I understand that it was just to introduce us to his world but I think it just took to long to get to it's point.  

At least it was better than his future in Sonic 06...To be fair, I'm sure all of us here were expecting the future that Silver described in Sonic Colors DS. How exactly would you be able to approach something like this in the comics? What would you want him to do in this peaceful future?

Personally I prefer his pre super genesis wave backstory. I mean this new one is ok I guess, but I liked how in the original they managed to tie in the Archie Comics canon to his backstory.

Yeah but they don't have a choice here. They have to use the games' backstory for the games characters.

I'm personally getting a bit tired of Shadow and Knuckles universe stories and would really prefer some other character, or group of characters, to get one. Maybe Amy or someone, I dunno.

I probably wouldn't complain if they didn't take a third of a year to release to get to a new story.

• Thumbs Up 3