Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

I did admittedly like the back-up centered on Mega Man and X bonding and training with each other. But that's really it. And even then, it just another way of dumping exposition on the lore and history of Mega Man X for those who don't know anything about it.

Yeah, I can't say I'm really digging Worlds Unite all that much so far, either. It seems to be more focused on showing off that they can now use all the (non-Boom) characters than actually doing something meaningful with them. The art's been rather hit or miss, too. At this point, I guess I can only hope that things will improve after the halfway point.

Kind of on the fence with WU at the moment.  On one hand, I found its act 1 to be better than WC's, but Shoening's art kept going off at times.  Now though we've got a less than stellar act 2 a la Worlds Collide, only this time the artwork just doesn't feel right.  At least Battles was reasonably fun, except for the Brent Mcarthy drawn one.  My biggest hope now is that Tyson Hesse's act 3 can help pick up the ball and turn it all around in a similar way Ben Bates did last time.

And yeah, the humour has been severely lacking.  Even that issue with the gang just interacting didn't have that many laughs.  Surprising really, since Sticks has been tagging along for the ride, but that'll be because she barely has any focus on her.

Also, is it me, or has Kaminski been making a surprising amount of mistakes?  Hiring big name artists that don't fully grasp the character designs well, Team Dark's "death" and wanting Xander have way more focus.  I don't really get his thinking here.

Looks like I dodged a bullet by skipping out on this crossover; from the previews, it really just doesn't look as interesting as World's Collide.

World's Collide had more focus on the characters and a much more cohesive narrative with a solid three act structure. More focus was on how different Mega Man and Sonic's worlds were and their respective inhabitants and had a lot of focus on their different aspects. 

World's Unite is exactly the clusterfuck I thought it was going to be; no focus and just seems like an excuse for a bunch of random battles. 

• Thumbs Up 3

if we're talking Kaminski mistakes, was "forcing Ian to make a Secret Avengers team out of characters that were being legally disputed at the time, shoving them everywhere in the plot, and then being surprised when they couldn't use them any more" mentioned already?

• Thumbs Up 1

if we're talking Kaminski mistakes, was "forcing Ian to make a Secret Avengers team out of characters that were being legally disputed at the time, shoving them everywhere in the plot, and then being surprised when they couldn't use them any more" mentioned already?

He also wanted Ash Mongoose to fuse with the source of all or some crap like that

He also wanted Ash Mongoose to fuse with the source of all or some crap like that

Say what?

Say what?

It was an idea that Paul had. Ian mentioned it in a interview he did with TSS 

TSS: While I know there’s been some ideas you’ve had that Paul’s had to say no to, has Paul had any ideas that you’ve said no to?

IF: Only one comes to mind, and it was an off-the-cuff thing he tossed out there for consideration.  It involved turning Ash Mongoose into a new villain, turned monster-like by a corrupted pool of the Source of All.

http://www.sonicstadium.org/2013/05/sonic-stadium-interview-archie-comics-ian-flynn/

I believe I saw a Paul Kaminski listed as an assistant editor on Batman, and I have to wonder if they are one and the same...

Most likely. He is at DC now and is editor on Superman.

If the Deadly Six can control machines, why don't they just control the entire Sky Patrol ship and crash it down onto the heroes?

When the hell could Roll do that? 

Er, wow.

That art really is pretty lacklustre and washed out - also comic, that ka-broom pun was bad and you should feel bad.

KA-BROOM

"Broom, get it? This is funny. I'm funny."

...No, this is the worst type of humor. But I'm saving this image for future occasions.

KA-BROOM

...No, this is the worst type of humor. But I'm saving this image for future occasions.

Yes, how dare they introduce puns into Sonic comics, especially in a story starring Sticks, ya know, who hails from the comic that has that exact sort of humour. How very dare they.

• Thumbs Up 3

The joke is that it isn't funny, and the editor is totally aware of it.

Source: I make puns on a professional level and I know I'm a terrible person for it. This humor has a formula to it.

I understand though, you can't let broom puns sweep you away. Just brush it off, folks, and get a new handle on life.

• Thumbs Up 7

It's kind of funny.  I talk about how WU isn't particularly wowing me, but then these Battle previews come up and now I'm suddenly hopeful.  Especially love Skelly drawing Knuckles VS Break Man here.

Yes, how dare they introduce puns into Sonic comics, especially in a story starring Sticks, ya know, who hails from the comic that has that exact sort of humour. How very dare they.

My dear sir, I didn't mean no disrespect. It's just that I think that that particular joke is really, really, really bad. Don't take it too personally.

By the way, Indigo Rush, I would shake your hand if we were in the same room.

The colouring's weird but for once something looks interesting- I'm actually invested in that Sticks vs Roll one

cue me reading it and being disappointed

KA-BROOM

That has Comedy Chimp written all over it.  In fact, this is what Sticks meant when she had to take out a Spy Broom. I still stand by the fact that this will be referenced in a Sonic Boom story published as a filler story in a future issue of Sonic the Hedgehog or Sonic Universe.

Eggman starts making an army of robots disguised as brooms, and he decides to sell them (or have them replace a stock of incoming NEW brooms to the general store), and Amy is one of the potential customers, and only Sticks can see it as a trick, Tails as well (since he don't trust Eggman). Amy would give Sticks a Broom as a gift, and then at night, Sticks takes the axe to the broom bot, and it gets broken, or so she would think! The Broom Bot becomes MORE Broom Bots, much like the Magic Brooms in The Sorcerer's Apprentice. And Eggman gathers a great deal of knowledge, maybe some things not meant to be seen, like Amy's secret crush on Sonic. And Eggman strikes, and assembles the army of broom bots, that would not only break into MORE broom bots when they are broken, but also unite into a complex battle robot that can REALLY clean up the heroes, and Sticks uses FIRE to destroy it all! And then Amy and Sticks make more natural brooms with NO hidden cameras, or anything. I should really write a Sonic Boom Fan Fiction.

I actually think all 3 of the stories based on the preview look really good (with Sonic vs. Deadly 3 looking the best because of Yardley! + Matt Herms). Get the feeling that the Sonic Battle book will be the better one out of it and the Mega Man Battle book. 

Most likely. He is at DC now and is editor on Superman.

If the Deadly Six can control machines, why don't they just control the entire Sky Patrol ship and crash it down onto the heroes?

The same reason why they didn't control tails' robot parts after he turned on them in Lost World. But in all fairness lets see how the issue turn out before we criticize that part 

The same reason why they didn't control tails' robot parts after he turned on them in Lost World. But in all fairness lets see how the issue turn out before we criticize that part 

to be honest I think tails just put some random robot parts on him to make him look like a robot

if anything he looked half robotized

to be honest I think tails just put some random robot parts on him to make him look like a robot

if anything he looked half robotized

Its still technology something they can control 

Yeah, basically everybody I'm seeing on Twitter is saying the broom thing is perfectly fine and y'all have no taste xP