Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

I think Cream is kept to the sidelines because of her inexperience, not her youth. She presumably hasn't been part of the team very long. In fact, Sally told her and Big a few issues ago that they're not ready to tackle heavy missions yet.

• Thumbs Up 2

I think Cream is kept to the sidelines because of her inexperience, not her youth. She presumably hasn't been part of the team very long. In fact, Sally told her and Big a few issues ago that they're not ready to tackle heavy missions yet.

And yet, that hasn't stopped Big from being on a major mission(Spark of Life) or currently helping out in the situation.

And it still clashes like hell when since the character was created in the first place we've seen her help save the world multiple times and be more overpowered than anyone else

"Lack of experience" "too young" fuck you Sally all you got is some badly-designed ugly rinky-dink wrist blades while that rabbit destroys legions of robots

Well, Big is a powerhouse who can effortlessly lift cars. I think he has a better chance out there than a little bunny whose only means of attacking is siccing her pet at enemies.

I'm not talking about Big, though? Just that specific element of trying to rescue an old SatAM dynamic that does not work at all when applied to a character that was immediately established in her introduction to the franchise as perfectly capable.

I was responding to Kuzu.

As for Sally, she's proved more than capable of holding her own with those "rinky-dink" wristblades. Have you not seen her in the Crystal Cavern or fighting off Metal Sonic? Plus, she's the leader and tactician of the team. That's kinda important, too.

And Cream can fly, meaning she is more agile and able to dodge enemies on the ground, plus the fact that Tails doesn't even have any weapons, and he mainly just flies and attacks with his tail, so I don't see how that's much different than Cream flying and attacking with Cheese.

And before anyone says ''they don't need another flying character, they already have Tails'', then why would Big be needed? Knuckles is already currently the muscle of the group, so why would they need another powerhouse?

That panel with Zero and Antoine makes SO MUCH more sense now. I was wondering where he got off calling Antoine "kid," and telling the FF to pull their punches seemed unlike him.

As for Cream, maybe this is for further development? Sally being too protective, Cream asserting herself, we can't tell yet.

Tails being sidelined all the time definitely sucked, but it did make him coming into his own more satisfying. Too bad SatAM got cancelled before that whole character arc could play out.

I was responding to Kuzu.

As for Sally, she's proved more than capable of holding her own with those "rinky-dink" wristblades. Have you not seen her in the Crystal Cavern or fighting off Metal Sonic? Plus, she's the leader and tactician of the team. That's kinda important, too.

Not to the level of how Cream's been established, certainly not to the level of trying to sell me at all that Sally has any authority to pull.

This reeks of the old "oh of course Metal Sonic's a weak robot that gets destroyed every single time!"

If the game characters are too powerful to fit with your Archie characters, don't put them there. Don't go making this bullshit that's like the old days where everyone was lording over Amy or Tails when we knew those characters to be absurdly powerful if only by force of being characters with gameplay.

If you're only going to have Cream around to have Sally go "you're too young fuck off" every issue, why do you have Cream around at all in the first place?

And Sally's blades are still ugly and fragile-looking, ill-fitting, forcefully copypasted from a design thought out for them (Mecha Sally where there's an actual structure to fit them in) to a design that didn't take them into consideration (Bates/Jampole's redesign), leading to them awkwardly jammed into her wrists, and no matter how much they go "she's suddenly a wolverine beast now, blade master!". They should've rescued her old slingshot instead or something.

• Thumbs Up 1

And Cream can fly, meaning she is more agile and able to dodge enemies on the ground, plus the fact that Tails doesn't even have any weapons, and he mainly just flies and attacks with his tail, so I don't see how that's much different than Cream flying and attacking with Cheese.

And before anyone says ''they don't need another flying character, they already have Tails'', then why would Big be needed? Knuckles is already currently the muscle of the group, so why would they need another powerhouse?

Tails has his gadgets (mainly T-Pup) and is an expert pilot and mechanic. His IQ is on par with Eggman's.

I don't think Cream has quite reached his level yet.

Look, I'm not saying Cream is worthless. If it wasn't for her, Sally and the gang would've been killed by that E-Series trio. She's just better off sticking to a support role for now. Besides, every team needs a medic.

• Thumbs Up 1

And why must that medic support role be Cream, exactly? What is the character gaining by being forced into this role, especially in this manner- as VEDJ-F pointed out, it'd actually be in character to have Cream feel she'd help better as support and help, but instead, they HAVE to write her as wanting to fight, so they can have Sally paternalize her.

Is this just some really badly-done attempt at giving her further flaws? "Control freak, loses control when emotive, also extremely paternalizing with specific people younger than her- apparently only the girls though".

• Thumbs Up 1

ok ignoring the toxic topic going on at the moment

shouldn't  there still be a uninvited guest still hanging around the sky patrol in the vents that should be getting effected by the deadly 6 in some way shape or form?

"cough tails doll cough"

there should be some technology inside him assuming eggman built him out of robot parts ... or did he ? O_O

I assume the Deadly Six would have to know it's there to control it because it's like a mind-linked power of some sort.

The whole weakness of the deadly six seems to be they can only control things they see, which is why Roll is safe on the ship

I guess Sally doesn't know how broken Cream and Cheese are in the Sonic Advance games and Battle. 

And why must that medic support role be Cream, exactly? What is the character gaining by being forced into this role, especially in this manner- as VEDJ-F pointed out, it'd actually be in character to have Cream feel she'd help better as support and help, but instead, they HAVE to write her as wanting to fight, so they can have Sally paternalize her.

Is this just some really badly-done attempt at giving her further flaws? "Control freak, loses control when emotive, also extremely paternalizing with specific people younger than her- apparently only the girls though".

Look, we've already established that Flynn is terrible at writing Sally convincingly, let's move on from this topic.

Is it me, or is the artwork in those previews even worse than last time?  It's really stiff and some of the angles on the characters make them look very off. 

"We got a big crossover event coming up! Let's make sure to hire mediocre artists/colorists to work on it!" 

I'm starting to get worried about the Sonic comic franchise right now. It seems the new editor is making cut backs on the titles besides just putting Mega Man on hiatus and cancelling Sonic Boom. I'm wondering if they're putting a ton of budget on the new Mark Waid Archie Andrew series and the Sonic/MegaMan action titles are getting screwed in the process. 

EDIT: Apologies to the new editor as it seems like a lot of these ideas were Kaminski's.

Uh, quick question. Where exactly was it established that Cream was a medic? Or was that just something stated to make a point?

One thing I loved about Worlds Collide was the humor. There were so many inside jokes to both franchises. And the plot was fantastic. And the Eggman/Wily bromance that ensued was glorious. It was quality over quantity. With Worlds Unite it's the exact opposite.

"Battles! Battles everywhere! Characters! Characters everywhere! Oh and here's a joke once in a blue moon."

Halfway done with the crossover and so far it hasn't been quite as impressive to me in my opinion. And I'm concerned about how late they're cramming in other SEGA/Capcom franchises. I kind of expected them to be meeting up with Sonic and Mega Man by now.

Here's hoping things get better!

• Thumbs Up 7

That's pretty much my feelings about WU so far as well. I get that it's meant to be 'bigger and better' and wants to avoid rehashing WC's gimmick of "putting Sonic and MM stuff together" by putting in the Archie characters, X, Boom and the other Sega/Capcom IP's, but it's been style over substance by shoving that all in one setting which WC managed to juggled fairly well by comparison because it limited it's cast of heroes and villains. Bigger just isn't always better, yunno?

And yeah, the art has been very crapshoot for the most part, so it's not like it being nice to look at makes up for everything else.

• Thumbs Up 2

For the record, was it now-former editor Paul Kaminski who made the decision to use the guest artists for WU, as well as influence the story? I think Ian said Kaminski was the one who ordered Team Dark's 'death' and tried to push Xander Payne into being the Ishmael of the story.

I do remember that it was Kaminski who ordered the 'lost memories' debacle after the reboot, in a miguided attempt to not alienate long-time readers which wound up doing just that when it wound up leading to nothing in the end.

I feel sorry for the new editor; he's dealing with the fallout of his predecessor like Pellerito had to spend years doing after he took over for Gabrie.

I believe I saw a Paul Kaminski listed as an assistant editor on Batman, and I have to wonder if they are one and the same...

Edited by biznizz

Yeah, this would have been all Kaminski, and I doubt Lovallo even has control over what books and reprints get cut or whatever.

And thank you Donnie, you've basically nailed how I feel on WU so far. As I've said, the pace has been dragging (it took all of Deadly Fusion and an issue more to get through the set-up, and the battles aren't exactly being impressive), but it's that focus on character amount over character interaction that's not helping it. It's supposed to be a celebration event, but it's not been fun so far, the majority of it is just paint by numbers for plot events. The only thing we've really got out of it so far is seeing how Gemerl is characterised.

• Thumbs Up 1