Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

1 minute ago, BlueSky said:

Oh yeah, that one. Cream basically got my brainwaves on that fight. I don't really care if people say I'm lousy because of this opinion but I don't like "cute cheaters" one bit. 

The way she tried to "make amends" came to me as a free add-space campaign... gee Tails' way too polite when it comes to certain situations...

And these are the reasons as, while being a good character (even by making me feel something other than just a flegmatic meh) I don't dig her too much. I like Tails a bit too much to get completely over that shot in just a few appearances... most of them being more something akin to cameos than actual appearances...

Yeah, I didn't like that Honey did that to Tails. You're not wrong on your opinion as it was downright dirty of her. It seems that she might get her comeuppance in her next match though.

• Nice Smile 1

10 hours ago, RedFox99 said:

Just read Champions Part 2. Really interesting though I felt bad for Tails. Hopefully, Honey learns her lesson.

Spoiler alert (IDK how to do actual spoiler tags, so read at your own caution here):

At the end of the arc, she has a conversation with Breezie while signing some contracts to outfit her security detail. I forget the specific details and don't want to potentially ruin too much for you, but Breezie gives her something of a backhanded compliment for her fight with Tails, and Honey shows legitimate guilt after she leaves. This moment is part of the reason I liked Honey so much, and I think they could've done a lot with her (ie, her occasionally selfish nature leads to regretful decisions). Of course, now she's dead.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

On ‎8‎.‎9‎.‎2017 at 4:52 AM, RedFox99 said:

@Flyinpenguin117 Interesting. 

Anyway, I was reading about Tails's parents and wow does his mom sound unlikable.

I see her more as a person with a strong agenda. She does stuff I don't always agree with but in many cases I can see at least some reasoning behind those opinions of hers. I suppose the thing with her is the fact how strongly and almost 'emotionally comparable to an iceberg' -style she delivers some stuff. Example that I came up first is the fact she questioned the need of a particular person being the king over having anybody "suitable" enough acting as a king.

But I think she's manageable person as long as you don't get into politics with her, which could be said about any person at least to a some degree. ^_^

I still think Tails' father is pretty awesome. Something about him as a character just clicks with me.

• Thumbs Up 2

So, I'm finally catching up on what's happened her since I've been gone/busy and I have a few concerns and/or things to ask:

Why do some people consider Spark of Life to be a weak arc?

Is there a date for the IdW announcements yet?

Is there a collection of what criminally unused material has been shared?

Any clues as to who The Freedom Fighters' new nemeses would’ve been?

2 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Why do some people consider Spark of Life to be a weak arc?

Don't know about anyone else, but I found the leads were bland so ultimately it didn't do that much for me. 

That being said, the recent talk surrounding that arc is probably unrelated to that sort of thing. 

Is there a date for the IdW announcements yet?

They'll start talking about the comic in more detail during NYCC, October 8th to be exact. Didn't say if that would include dates or solicits or whatever. 

Is there a collection of what criminally unused material has been shared?

So far not a lot has been disclosed, and certainly not in one place. ABT's made some comments on what SU#95 and 96 would have been like, Yardley put pages of #291 and 292 up for sale (they sold very quickly) and disclosed concept art of the Sonic Man Heroes team that would have appeared in #293, and snippets of Mega Drive: Overdrive were leaked. That aside, nothing much else has been said. 

Any clues as to who The Freedom Fighters' new nemeses would’ve been?

Not a one. 

• Thumbs Up 2

While it was good that they took consideration of what an actual weasel was like, basing his design on Fang in retrospect wasn't the best idea. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Okay, so Mr. Flynn took part in FTCR's Platformania this year and he answered some questions regarding Archie Sonic, so I thought I'd list a few here:

• There are 12 Egg Bosses purely for the pun.
  • Thunderbolt was originally a serious villain and an Aztec themed Jaguar before Aleah suggested making her the adorable but vicious sycophant Chinchilla she is now.
  • Cassia and Clove were created by Aleah to fulfill the editor's request for sympathetic Egg Bosses and were later meant to provide Lupe with morally grey antagonists to go along with Ian's plans.
  • Tundra and Ahklut were mainly there to play with the concept of the twin poles, killer whales, and to rewrite Rotor's backstory.
  • Maw is a Thylacine just because Australia is full of monstrocities.
  • Conquering Storm was one of the few safe characters and her popularity meant it made sense to go for her.
  • Axel is indeed an expy of what he would've done with Diesel.
  • Lord Mordred Hood was named as a nod to Authurian Legend, as you know.
  • Nepthys was meant to have a super grey area alongside the Desert Raiders.
  • Since he ran out of landmasses, that meant Battle Lord Kukku and Wendy Naugus got to be more freeroaming in regards to The Sky and Magic, respectively.

I'll do another post if he says anything else I think is worth noting.

5 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

While it was good that they took consideration of what an actual weasel was like, basing his design on Fang in retrospect wasn't the best idea. 

Why not?

• Thumbs Up 4

3 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Why not?

Because it turns out Fang is not any part weasel. His cross with a wolf is right, but his main half is jerboa. 

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Nice Smile 1

7 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

I don't think it was. I actually Archie Wes to be cute.

3 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

Because it turns out Fang is not any part weasel. His cross with a wolf is right, but his main half is jerboa. 

Holy shit, really? That makes a whole lot of sense given his springyness. Almost makes you wonder how the heck that mismatch happen.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, DabigRG said:

Holy shit, really? That makes a whole lot of sense given his springyness. Almost makes you wonder how the heck that mismatch happen.

Probably because the Western market didn't understand the association of rats with thievery (they have a negative reputation, but not in that area), and weasels have a more ready stereotype of being sneaky. I mean, these were still the early days where SoA would radically alter things in localisation if it didn't suit their needs. 

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

Probably because the Western market didn't understand the association of rats with thievery (they have a negative reputation, but not in that area), and weasels have a more ready stereotype of being sneaky. I mean, these were still the early days where SoA would radically alter things in localisation if it didn't suit their needs. 

True. Anyway, I just found an article detailing it and information on the other Hooligans: apparently Bean is actually woodpecker(which is more immediately obvious, admittedly) and Bark's characterization post-reboot is apparently closer to what he's supposed to be minus being outright mute.

Issue 12

A Timely Arrival written by Michael Gallagher
Dr. Robotnik decides to get rid of Sonic by using a time machine.
Sonic ends up in prehistoric Mobius and meets his ancestor Sonugh the Boghog, and his friends who are basically just cavemen versions of the freedom fighters.
They are living in fear of the evil caveman Ivo Robughnik, and are planning on going underground to hide from him.
NGAU5Ig.png
 This causes Sonic to worry that he'll evolve into "Sonic the Mole" instred of a hedgehog.
J0WJ8rS.png
Meanwhile on Mobius Prime the freedom fighters steal Robotnik's time machine in the hope that they can bring back Sonic.
Back in prehistoric Mobius, Sonic teaches the freedom fighters ancestor's how to plant hedges so that they can use them as hiding places, and Sonic gets sent back to his own time.
aGsgiYE.png
Another boring story. Plus this story is basically non-canon due to the fact that we later learn that Mobius is a post apocalyptic Earth.

Bold-Headed Eagle written by Angelo DeCesare
Sonic falls off a cliff and meets an eagle named Cyril. Cyril's people were roboticized by Robotnik, and Cyril has survived by hiding, and believes that he's the last remaining member of his flock.. Sonic encourages Cyril to try flying again. Cyril lands on a branch that was under his nest and finds more birds from his flock that were basically under his nose the whole time(dumb written). Robotnik and Snively arrive in their rambot. The rambot knocks Sonic off the cliff, and Sonic is saved by Cyril.
Another boring story.

The Lynx is a Jinx! written by Angelo DeCesare
Sonic meets Larry Lynx who has bad luck, and brings bad luck to the people that he meets. Robotnik captures the freedom fighters, but in the end Larry's bad luck saves the day.
iGsdNmz.png
LFwKb39.png
Kind of boring, but this is the best of the three stories that's in this issue.

6 minutes ago, Spinneret said:

Issue 12

A Timely Arrival written by Michael Gallagher
Dr. Robotnik decides to get rid of Sonic by using a time machine.
Sonic ends up in prehistoric Mobius and meets his ancestor Sonugh the Boghog, and his friends who are basically just cavemen versions of the freedom fighters.
They are living in fear of the evil caveman Ivo Robughnik, and are planning on going underground to hide from him.
NGAU5Ig.png
 This causes Sonic to worry that he'll evolve into "Sonic the Mole" instred of a hedgehog.
J0WJ8rS.png
Meanwhile on Mobius Prime the freedom fighters steal Robotnik's time machine in the hope that they can bring back Sonic.
Back in prehistoric Mobius, Sonic teaches the freedom fighters ancestor's how to plant hedges so that they can use them as hiding places, and Sonic gets sent back to his own time.
aGsgiYE.png
Another boring story. Plus this story is basically non-canon due to the fact that we later learn that Mobius is a post apocalyptic Earth.

Oh yeah, I remember reading at least this story once.

Also, Prehistoric Mobius was indeed a thing. That's where Mammoth Mogul and Mobie the CaveBear come from.

On 9/11/2017 at 10:29 AM, DabigRG said:

True. Anyway, I just found an article detailing it and information on the other Hooligans: apparently Bean is actually woodpecker(which is more immediately obvious, admittedly) and Bark's characterization post-reboot is apparently closer to what he's supposed to be minus being outright mute.

Now I'm expecting him to laugh like Woody Woodpecker...

Now that the comic rights have been transferred safely to IDW, I honestly don't care what happens to Archie in this case anymore. I mean, from the start it was clear they'd made some bad business decisions that needed to be called out on, but now Sonic fans don't really have any stake in it. Give 'em what they deserve.

11 hours ago, PC the Hedgehog said:

Now that the comic rights have been transferred safely to IDW, I honestly don't care what happens to Archie in this case anymore. I mean, from the start it was clear they'd made some bad business decisions that needed to be called out on, but now Sonic fans don't really have any stake in it. Give 'em what they deserve.

What we deserve... hoo boy that gave me the creeps. :blink:

Seriously though, there're so many different stands on what people want I'm not too sure of what we'd actually deserve. Probably something that's just like Colours was...  -_- 

On 9/7/2017 at 10:01 AM, RedFox99 said:

Just read Champions Part 2. Really interesting though I felt bad for Tails. Hopefully, Honey learns her lesson.

For some reason I like it when characters I like get dunked on in the stories. I have no clue why but I suppose that lends itself to being a huge positive for me. 

• Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

For some reason I like it when characters I like get dunked on in the stories. I have no clue why but I suppose that lends itself to being a huge positive for me. 

I guess maybe it gives them the opportunity to learn and grow from the experience.