Awoo.

Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D

DistantJ

Ya know, I think after a bit of looking at the games I've established that I'm an OOT fan, not a Zelda fan, cause, everything before OOT I couldn't give two shits about (though I liked Link's Awakening a lot, and the original NES game I find fun, I can live without both and the other two just bored the crap out of me), and everything after OOT I tend to just hope it resembles OOT... I mean, Majora's Mask was a brilliant step forward from OOT but it didn't have the wholesome+epic feel to it, Wind Waker was great but flawed, but when we get to Twilight Princess I think it's actually a painfully dated game, it's more what we should have gotten first for the Gamecube, rather than what should have come out when other games inspired by Zelda had gone above and beyond it, making TP look quite poor in comparison really... The DS ones I didn't even like, I hated them even! The new one, Skyward Sword, I was really pleased to see the cel shading back mainly because I miss the Wind Waker and didn't have a Gamecube controller (plus GC games look terrible on HDTVs here in the UK because PAL GC games don't do 480p so they get these weird vertical lines all over the screen) but I can't imagine it really pushing the series forward any more than the past few have... Majora's Mask's time system and different forms really expanded on the puzzles, the dungeons, the NPC interaction, the story, whilst in the others they've just introduced new novelties, Sonic style, ya know 'ooh I turn into a wolf in the darkness' (sound familiar?), or 'ooh I now use a boat/train/apparently some kind of glider/plane/bird to get from A to B now instead of a horse or my feet', but all of the dungeons and bosses, aside from a slight graphical downgrade, could all have been shoved into some kind of OOT Master Quest 2 without much difficulty if you ask me...

So I'm really looking forward to OOT 3DS because it's an expansion on the Zelda game which captured my heart, while all the others I've just sort of hoped they would resemble a sequel to it somewhat. Without HD console power I don't think Skyward Sword can take the Zelda series where I'd want it to go, so I'll stick with this one.

• 1 month later...

The graphics are obviously better, but I miss the shadowy dark look that room had in the N64 version. I'm assuming the final Ganon fight isn't going to be all shadowy and dark anymore either. So while the graphics may be better the atmosphere doesn't seem nearly as good as the N64 version. :/

Did the guy really say he didn't know if Gohma was a he or she?

Other than that I wish the hearts were on the top screen. And I agree with speedfreak. I miss Gohma's chamber looking all dark.

Wow, Young Link looks a lot less... young. He's more teenagerly instead of normal child-like Young Link. I liek.

I don't really care about Gohma's chamber's lighting at all though. I've played through the game a hundred times, i know what's going to happen pretty well by now.

Don't expect any extra dungeons (or maybe even any extra content at all) in OOT3D.

http://kotaku.com/5738690/zelda+remake-will-be-more-user+friendly-on-the-3ds-probably-not-longer

Kinda blows. I just lost a LOT of excitement that I had for this game. I've played the game like a hundred times and while the graphics are better I was really looking forward to some new content. I'll still buy it, but this is a pretty half assed remake. The graphics are better than OOT 64 but poor compared to something like Resident Evil Revelations.

I kinda hope the half assed job they're doing comes back to bite Nintendo in the ass via the reception of the game not living up to the original.

Awww what the hell? Nintendo is usually fucking awesome when it comes to remakes; Mario Bros 3, Mario 64 DS, the Pokemon remakes, Metroid Zero Mission?

Why are they being so lazy with this game? Especially since it's heralded as being the greatest game of all time, why not use this opportunity to make it EVEN FUCKING BETTER?

• Thumbs Up 1

Master Quest wasn't even all that great. It was cool to see OOT in a new light and all but I honestly didn't find it harder, just different. Though that could be because by the time I played it I was so familiar with the mechanics of OOT.

I was hoping for an optional (non story related) new dungeon, maybe a way to finally thaw out Zora's Domain, a new tunic or sword/shield, perhaps a couple new side quests, perhaps an added extra cutscene at the end of the game providing a better explanation of the time line split. I didn't expect all of that but a few extras would be nice. I've played OOT so many times and better graphics is hardly enough for this "remake" to live up to my lofty expectations.

Hell leave OOT exactly how it was but throw in a separate bonus Four Swords online mode or something.

I'm awn a master queeest~ I want da whole world tew seee~~

I'm sorry. ._.

That song started playing on my tv the second I read that off of my case.

But yeah besides that I was hoping for some new content too, including some stuff that didn't make it in the final game(sword beam). Oh well =P

I'm surprised some of you people even expected any significant extra content.

• Thumbs Up 1

Master Quest annoyed me a bit just because of it's difficulty ups and downs. Overworld was the same, bosses were the same, dungeons were super hard, wut. They could at least have just... given the bosses some extra health/damage dealout or something.

Oh, I wasn't expecting any new content myself. If I was to add anything to OoT I might have given Navi proper hints if you talk to her in dungeons. "Link... try to keep moving!" was never helpful.

Just think how much grief could be saved if you played Saria's Song, talked to her during a certain watery temple, and she informed you "Link, have you been back to the room where we saw Ruto at every water height level yet?" when we're salivating in fury over where the damn last key is towards Dark Link. Took me years of replays before I learned to go bomb that wall there every time.

Edited by JezMM

I previously entered this forum and ranted about how much this game hurt my feelings. However, I took the time to replay it and found that my only issue with Ocarina of Time was that I got my ass kicked. I only hated it because its on the difficult side (I'm really bad at games, and when it comes to Zelda I'm downright stupid. While playing Twilight Princess I walked into quicksand while wearing the iron boots. I swear it made sense to me at the moment), and I couldn't deal with it. Also, the text moves slow, but I can deal with that... I misread things anyway.

I recently tried to emulate it and I found it more enjoyable. Even Jabu-Jabu's Belly seemed less horrible. Playing it on the PC wasn't a great idea, so I plan to just buy a copy. It's a good way for me to waste 40 to 60 hours....

Plus, the Forest Temple is lovely.... Twisted hallway and that creepy, yet wonderfully haunting music. Man, that game knows how to make an atmosphere!

I'm surprised some of you people even expected any significant extra content.

Links Awakening DX had an extra temple, had color added, and had these new snap shot moment things.

Zelda LTTP GBA got the Four Swords mode, an extra temple, and I think your choice of 1 of 2 special tunics.

Mario 64 DS had 3 extra playable characters, new levels, and like 30 extra stars.

Metroid Zero Mission was a massive improvement over the original in every way and even added a new finale to the game.

Anyway my point being that it would be odd not to expect some type of bonus content when you take Nintendo's past into consideration. Especially considering they're remaking what's considered by many the greatest game of all time and that Aonuma was going on about not wanting to do a remake unless it was something really special.

At this point it's just a port with updated graphics. Which is still nice, but I wanted it to get something a little more. To be honest I don't think the graphic difference will be very noticable on such a small screen. I kinda wish they did this on Wii TBH.

• Thumbs Up 2

I rather would not ask for a SM64DS style of content, as the new content in that game only served to slow down gameplay, was mandatory for some deranged reason, and didn't really feel that much fresh. The extra characters were given false purpose by giving them some of Mario's original powers. The new levels weren't anything to write home about, either. And in the end, it oversaturated the game rather than properly expand on it. Had they been optional post-game quests, it would have been different, but for being such a far cry from the original game without actually improving on it, I can't stand it.

But then again I thought Zero Mission was pretty cool (although I never played the original), so what do I know!

Links Awakening DX had an extra temple, had color added, and had these new snap shot moment things.

Zelda LTTP GBA got the Four Swords mode, an extra temple, and I think your choice of 1 of 2 special tunics.

Mario 64 DS had 3 extra playable characters, new levels, and like 30 extra stars.

Metroid Zero Mission was a massive improvement over the original in every way and even added a new finale to the game.

Anyway my point being that it would be odd not to expect some type of bonus content when you take Nintendo's past into consideration. Especially considering they're remaking what's considered by many the greatest game of all time and that Aonuma was going on about not wanting to do a remake unless it was something really special.

Four Swords was basically a separate game attached to the same cartridge. I don't count it as adding extra content to an old game.

Mario 64 DS always promised to be something different, so you can't compare it to OoT3DS which they've basically been selling as the same game in 3D from day one.

Metroid was so outdated by the time the GBA came around that it needed a significant update to be worth anything.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with wanting extra content, but I don't think there was any reason to really expect anything more than the same game we all know already.

Hearing the music and sounds makes me all giddy, haha. Can't wait to get my hands on this. I always pictured the OoT remake to be on a console, but a 3D handheld is all the more interesting.

I'm curious as to what adult Link's new model looks like, along with other major characters.

Ha, am I right in noticing that Link's legs still just... STOP a couple of inches into his tunic like they did on the original model? All it takes is a bit of shadow to avoid a panty-shot Nintendo, lol.

I rather would not ask for a SM64DS style of content, as the new content in that game only served to slow down gameplay, was mandatory for some deranged reason, and didn't really feel that much fresh. The extra characters were given false purpose by giving them some of Mario's original powers. The new levels weren't anything to write home about, either. And in the end, it oversaturated the game rather than properly expand on it. Had they been optional post-game quests, it would have been different, but for being such a far cry from the original game without actually improving on it, I can't stand it.

But then again I thought Zero Mission was pretty cool (although I never played the original), so what do I know!

I like some of the new animations like running and jumping. Some of the mystique lighting the 64 version had is gone which is a bummer, but I guess they did the best they could with the 3DS hardware. What really bothers me though is Link's model. I had the same problem with Mario's model in 64DS (seriously the original 64 mario model is the best mario model. Charming and full of life). I guess it doesn't matter though since I don't have a 3DS and don't plan on getting one.

Links model just looks like Young Link in Melee, which is fine with me. It's probably the look they were originally trying to achieve back in the 64 days, but were unable. It matches the art in the OoT booklet pretty well imo.

The lack of dark atmospheric lighting is a bit of a bummer though... Curious as to why they've removed it, I'm sure the 3DS could handle it.