Awoo.

Ultimate Marvel VS Capcom 3

killemoff

For some strange reason I decided to sign up to a tournament at my local student bar for this game, despite not even touching it until now.

I made it to the semi-finals by using Haggar's pipe move and a shitload of button mashing.

Then I tried using Wesker and got my ass handed to me.

Not a bad game, might give it a rent but I can't see myself buying it if I'm honest. Playing it on a huge projector screen may have had some influence in the fun, who knows.

Your point? That game played like shit on anything but a Classic Controller or an arcade stick.

Some might say it was fine on a GameCube pad, but I fucking hate that thing, so I still say only those two.

Well, I will admit, it does play best with a classic remote or the fightstick ($50 well spent), but gamecube remote isn't that bad. For just picking it up with no other remote alternative, it's pretty good. However, once you play it with a classic controller/CCPro/Fightstick, I can never imagine going back to a GCN remote for TvC.

However, a wii port of MvC3 would be nice. My fightstick would make the game sooooo much more lethal than a friggin 360 remote. The Arcade layout of one of those things comes more natural to me than a control pad. I thank growing up near several arcades for this. Unfortunately, only 4 of said arcades exist anymore: One in a local movie theater (it HAD SoulCalibur 1 at one point), one at a bowling alley nearby (Switches mainly with MvC1 and Mortal Kombat every once in a while, has other games too. Not much though), One other being the nearest Chuck E. Cheese's (Good times back then...), and one in Maine that I visit at least once a year (Japanese MvC1 and a SHITLOAD of other games to keep me occupied.) It's always one thing to look forward on each year's 6 hour car ride to maine...

God awful sidetrack aside, wii port please k thnx

I got the DLC characters today here are my thoughts.

Jill: FUCKING CRAP! Well fucking crap if you don't play with a fight stick and are not an expert with combos, her hyper combos are a waste of a meter. The machine gun hyper is almost totally random as to if it'll hit anything. The raven hyper is her best hyper move... so long as it hits, otherwise it's a waste. her level 3 hyper... jesus... what a joke, she basically increases her speed and teleports all over the place rubbish. Did I mention that her health is terrible? Also, remember that leaked video when we saw how Jill seemed to be missing voice clips? well... her voice really is that bad.

Shuma: WOW! Shuma should be a hard character to play as, he has charge moves for a lot of his specials which are a complete bastard to pull off using the default pad. But his combos, bloody hell, I'm pulling off some insane air combos with him and even following them up with ground combos, theres going to be some very impressive fights with this guy.

For a laugh, fight as shuma against another shuma for a really funny opening line, or against Hsien-Ko for another great bit of dialogue.

You have them? if you can, POOT VIDEO HERE :D

Nope. But I bet theres already video of them on youtube since they were up on the PSN on tuesday.

Also there has been video of them both online for the past 2 weeks so...

her level 3 hyper... jesus... what a joke, she basically increases her speed and teleports all over the place rubbish.

It's a joke to you because you have no idea how to use it.

It makes for crazy mix-ups and combos like Bang's Fu-Rin-Ka-Zan in the BlazBlue series.

Jill's Mad Beast seems like it has some good combo potential, I just have a hard time not dashing all over the place like a jackass.

It's a joke to you because you have no idea how to use it.

You're right I don't. Because everytime I try to do something even remotely simple I end up teleporting all over the place.

They patched the game. Sentinel's health went from 1,300,000 to 905,000.

To put it in perspective, he has 45,000 less health than Viewtiful Joe. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Edited by Chooch

Didn't notice since my sister was playing earlier when the patch was released.

I happened to battle a Sent in Arcade and noticed that I KO'd it in like 2 combos with Spidey. Thats........... sad.

Frankly I'd at least accept it if he was at least DURABLE. Though if you really think about it, this makes him more of a Glass Cannon now, fast, flexible, REALLY powerful, but now needs to watch out not to get hit. You could say this makes him less scrub friendly since now they can't just pick Sent and tank everything to death.

I dare to say it's fair since he was already insanely powerful AND absurdly fast, had disturbingly good assists and zoning, and could KO the majority of the cast with the most simple combos, and not to mention nearly EVERYTHING could be combo'd into ANYTHING.

Edited by Black Spy

To put it in perspective, he has 45,000 less health than Viewtiful Joe. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Capcom once again proves it has no idea how to balance games.

I still find it hilarious though, might go online now and watch many sent users get totally confused at how quickly their health goes down.

He's still good, you know.

Sentinel players just can't take shit for granted anywhere near as much.

He's still good, you know.

Oh I don't disagree with that, if you really do know how to play as him (not just spam NEUTRALISE! or reply on launches with virtually no follow up) he still should pack a decent punch.

But when you look at the roster, and you see the characters, if you look at Sent, you do kinda expect him to be a bit of a powerhouse, the fact he's now got less heath than Jo seems, well... odd.

Hmm, did said patch tone down Chris's revolver attack? Having to deal with the bitch end of EAT LEAD EAT LEAD EAT LEAD after a while gets old.

lol whoa! It's not just the health they nuked.

Check this out!

-Reduction in flight speed and flight duration

While Sentinel was nearly unmatched in the air before, now his flight mode has had both a significant reduction in both speed and duration. Sentinel is no longer among the fastest characters in the game and his fly/unfly cancels can no longer create a constant string of pressure.

-Loss of chip from normals

With the exception of his lasers, all of Sentinel's normals have lost their chipping. Combined with his nerfs in flight mode, Sentinel no longer has flying boots of death. You can kiss Sent's insane pressure game goodbye.

-Rocket Punch now mid screen only

While the funky hitbox is still the same, Sentinel can no longer Rocket punch from full screen.

-Hyper Sentinel Force now slower

The almighty Hyper Sentinel Force can now be super jumped on reaction. Combined with his nerfs to Rocket Punch, Sentinel's long range game is now significantly weaker.

-Super Armor Reduction

Sentinel's Super Armor has been reduced to 3 telegraphed moves.

-Sentinel drones disappears if Sentinel is hit

Just in case Sentinel Force was used as a replacement to Rocket Punch, we preemptively nerfed the drones so they disappear if Sentinel is hit.

Got that list from Gamefaqs, still looking for an official change list.

Nevermind... Watch this video instead.

LOL!

Whilst the sent bashing is funny, Akumas infinate is gone, Spencer/Hagger glitch removed.

Edited by Hogfather

What? None of that was changed, just his health.

Flight, and normals were always like that for EVERY character when the game came out, as was Sents Rocket Punch.

Like I said, I got it from Gamefaqs so that in itself questions how accurate it is, the video however seems to show off a number of changes quite well.

But still trying to find an actual list if anyone has one?

Keep seeing something about 'Event Mode' prep which unlocks on friday... I've no clue if thats right or not but I keep seeing it over and over.

Edit: Ah shoryuken has the list... jolly good.

Edited by Hogfather

You mean he's finally true to his cartoon/comic iteration?

Awesome.

Does it really matter that Sent got a health Nerf? He still has super Armor, can dish out pretty decent damage, can fly and move around fast and has that uninterruptable launcher. I think it's a fair trade.

Edited by LunarEdge

Yeah, sent nerf isn't that big of a deal IMO, his offence is still amazing. I like it. I think it was a good idea.

This game already had too many hyper fast glass jaws, though. Off the top of my head, there's Ammy, Phoenix, Dante, Wesker, Akuma, Deadpool*, basically pick random and that charcter will probably fall into that archetype.

*Deadpool isn't really done many favors by being in this game because his design was created by Rob Liefeld. Why does that matter? It means that like many Liefeld creations, his superpowers are a knock off of another character's along with nondescript swords and guns. Because his superpower is a healing factor, that isn't even represented, so we're left with some generic weapons and some generic fourth wall breaking humor that can't hold a candle to stuff that arises unintentionally ("Bionic AAAAARM!!!"). So what's the point of him being in this game?

Much like MvC 2 before it, being effective in this game is still way too dependent upon simply knowing how to do long combos, it has too little "give and take" and too much punish. In simpler terms, this game boils down to "Pressure -> Hit confirm -> Long combo you read about on SRK or found in training mode". It's yet another fighting game rewarding execution over skill.

Edited by Phos

*Deadpool isn't really done many favors by being in this game because his design was created by Rob Liefeld. Why does that matter? It means that like many Liefeld creations, his superpowers are a knock off of another character's along with nondescript swords and guns. Because his superpower is a healing factor, that isn't even represented, so we're left with some generic weapons and some generic fourth wall breaking humor that can't hold a candle to stuff that arises unintentionally ("Bionic AAAAARM!!!"). So what's the point of him being in this game?

Because he's a modern and prominent Marvel character. Marvel's inclusion are 90% focused off of what is currently relevant, and Deadpool has since long been a big fan-favorite in the Marvel universe for reasons I'm sure don't need further explaining. I still think he's something this game needs, a light-hearted, effective and a breath of fresh air in the serious atmosphere held around every single character.

Much like MvC 2 before it, being effective in this game is still way too dependent upon simply knowing how to do long combos, it has too little "give and take" and too much punish. In simpler terms, this game boils down to "Pressure -> Hit confirm -> Long combo you read about on SRK or found in training mode". It's yet another fighting game rewarding execution over skill.

I'm not sure what the problem is here. Although there's varying level of tactics and different styles of play, this is what most fighting games boil down to, just replace "pressure" with whichever main gimmick a game has. For that matter people in tourney-play don't mindlessly rush against each other either.

I'm pretty good at this game but I will attest, there's room for massive and improved levels of skill to be put into this game. I wouldn't last at all if I go up against one of the pros at tourney-level.