Awoo.

Sonic 4 Previews in new OXM UK and GamesMaster

Detective Shadzter

Typed it up.

There's an image that does the rounds on the internet every time a new Sonic title is announced. Labelled the 'Sonic Cycle', it theorises fans of the blue spiky mammals transition from excitement to disappointment as more of the title is revealed to the world. All the while the gaming collective curse the fact that isn't back to his 'proper' platforming roots; instead introducing new characters and new gameplay modes like the Werehog.

However, it might be the time to retire that image, as Sega has pulled the covers of its mysterious Project Needlemouse to reveal Sonic the Hedgehog 4. Arriving on Xbox Live Arcade this July, it's a direct sequel to the early 90s Mega Drive titles. Like Mega Man 9, it returns Sonic to the original form that the fans have been crying out for for years. Aside from the lock-on homing attack from his 3D adventure, Sonic regains his classic platforming style, rather than the simplistic speed runs that dominated Sonic Unleashed.

Yet you'll notice that subtitle. Yes, Sonic has gone Half-Life on us. And like Valve's FPS effor, the July release will be a complete game in its own right but, like Sonic 3 and Sonic and Knuckles, (the Mega Drive titles whose cartridges locked together to create one epic adventure, later episodes will continue an overarching story. So expect a single figure for the number of stages here that will probably increase as further episodes are released. While Sonic's previous two ventures on the Xbox 360 have failed to ignite our interest, the classic games found on Xbox Live Arcade still hold up 16 years on. We're really hoping that STH4 continues the legacy laid down by its forbearers.

ginger

Must we always bring up that little detail? :(

Ugh, I'm terrible at Sonic 1's special stages. I hope the motion controls are at least halfway competent, or unlocking Super Sonic is going to be hours of frustration.

Also, I find the positivity being displayed by the (professional) gaming media here quite surprising. I was expecting at least a few more blatant Mega Man 9 comparisons... it's almost a little creepy. These magazines need to be more cynical, dammit; blind hope is our job.

That's an interesting way to start the article.

All of a sudden, I await the reactions to the next 3d entry or storybook game.

That's the thing though- it's not that comparable to MM9. MM9 is designed like it was made several years ago. Sonic 4 on the other hand knows what year it actually is.

Edited by Blue Blood

Thanks Stasis!

Motion control???? Where did they hear that? They don't say it's confirmed though but I can't imagine what motion control would add to the game unless maybe it works with that tilting platform concept art we saw in a way motion control works for certain platforms in NSMB Wii.

You know the motion control thing was actually confirmed in Gamespots interview when the second teaser trailer was released.

Edited by Torcano
  • Thumbs Up 1

That's the thing though- it's not that comparable to MM9. MM9 is designed like it was made several years ago. Sonic 4 on the other hand knows what year it actually is.

That's exactly what i've felt when seeing the first screenshots. I really hoped SEGA would atleast do it in 16-bit graphics, because you know they want a classic feel to it. But they just took a wrong turn and did it in a totally new (and very plastic if i can say) design.

All i wanted is the old Sonic with some twists here and there, but i don't think you have the guts to do it again.

Oh, that Tristan and his "journalism"... I hope he gets in some legal trouble soon for plagiarizing and for beating his colleagues. If only the world was fair.

Anyhow, this is great! I love the sound of slightly varied tracks per act. Sounds like Episode 1 will be crammed with as much content as 5 levels with 3 acts can allow.

I wouldn't assume Egg Station Zone will be a three act zone. It's most likely just the final boss thing that leads into the cliffhanger for episode 2.

Yeah, the lack of a mention of an act for EGG Station leads me to think "Final Zone".

Speaking of TSSZ, I think they're going to ban me as I went after them for making ONE non-Sonic related post this year:

TSSZ rarely makes postings on non-Sonic Sega games. Before this Yakuza one there was the “nudity in Phantasy Star Portable” December story. Both that and this have one thing in common: they can be given a negative spin or are “scandalous”.

Meanwhile a LOAD of positive Sega news goes unmentioned here: Bayonetta, Alpha Protocol, Vanquish, Aliens vs. Predator, SMB: Step & Roll. None of those mentioned have had a single news story at TSSZ this year. Any of those mentioned that DID sneak into a story last year was a quick trailer link or the E3/TGS line-up.

Seriously, why post about non-Sonic Sega games at all if the handful that do get posted are the "scandal-worthy" ones?

Ah-hem! Sorry, back on topic. That just bugged me.

• Thumbs Up 1

There's an image that does the rounds on the internet every time a new Sonic title is announced. Labelled the 'Sonic Cycle'

I certainly hope they're talking about this one:

TheStupidNotCleverAtAllCycle.png

• Thumbs Up 5

That's the one.

I'm amazed at how many pics of the "Cycle" appear when I Google it. (And how many different versions of it there are.)

Oh cool, thanks. If this is the UK OXM, I saw on the mag's packaging that it has something Sonic 4 but I wasn't willing to fork over £5.99 to see what the mag contains since in most cases it turns out be a very small article in the corner of a page with nothing new like the recent GamesMaster issue.

2dm9wd2.jpg

I can't be the only one that thought of this!

And wow... SPINBALL PHYSICS!!!! YAHOO!!!!!!

Oh cool, thanks. If this is the UK OXM, I saw on the mag's packaging that it has something Sonic 4 but I wasn't willing to fork over £5.99 to see what the mag contains since in most cases it turns out be a very small article in the corner of a page with nothing new like the recent GamesMaster issue.

It's not the OXM UK article. That last picture showing Sonic going downhill at sunset was in there, but the others weren't. Apologies for not scanning it- I no longer have the means.

I'm surprised no one is talking about the game having 3 episodes with 4 zones (12 acts each) confirmed. That at least 32 acts with the possibility of secret extra stages. That's one meaty 2D Sonic adventure!

The magazine pics in digital form (aka pretty 'n crisp):

http://www.gamesradar.com/wii/sonic-the-hedgehog-4-episode-i/screenshots/g-2010020916482445011/pic-F10BC912-0137-4916-9DC1-C8269C6E24F0

More at the link above, 10 in total! :D

These are supposedly from the Wii version?

I beat you to it at the bottom of my post above yours XD

I didn't know GamesRadar own NGamer too.

Typical TSS trickery! Always needing to be "first"! :P

Kidding. :)

Note that the biggie pic above features Sonic in his invincible state.

Edited by Doctor Eggman

Can't believe I didn't notice that, looks like we're getting the long tail of invincibility stars from Sonic 1 but with less stars. Another nice nod to the classics, much prefer it over the modern invincibility animation.

Which picture has the invincibility animation?

Five posts up, check out Sonic running through the loop with the trail of sparkles. :)

Edited by Doctor Eggman

Are we sure he's invincible and didn't just pick up Rings? It looks like the latter to me.

• Thumbs Up 1