Awoo.

Nintendo 3DS

Patticus

First game to come to my mind is Pokémon GenVI and maybe possibly Pokémon GenIII remakes, because I'm a little crazy and very Pokémon obsessed.

I'd definitely be all for a Sunshine remake, perhaps even a handheld SMG depending on how strong the 3DS is.

Zelda? It has to be far more robust than PH or ST. I loved ST but man it was short and tiny. Capcom managed huge Zelda adventures on the GBC and GBA, so no reason we can't get 'em anymore.

Oh and a new 2D Metroid, seriously. PLEASE. ;_;

Also I'd be sad if the Crystal Chronicles series ended, I'd love an FFCC on 3DS with graphics similar to that of the GC game, but more CoOp accessibility.

Lastly...

Final Fantasy V remake with pink and purple hair not blonde

Final Fantasy VI remake and I'm glad they haven't done it yet because the DS couldn't do it justice.

Final Fantasy VII remake even though that'll more likely be on PSTriple.

Real new Chrono game

EarthWorm Jim 4

Viewtiful Joe 3

Shenmue III

I'm losing it aren't I?

An F-Zero like GX, Wind Waker, Metroid, Smash Bros. Mario Sunshine would be fun too.

I guess some of the Gamecube games I missed out on like Pikmin.

Of course, new games too.

The game that we're all secretly hungering for on this new platform is, of course, Tetris 3D. I know, I know, I can't wait to stack dem blox in 3D either. Dr. Kawashima's Brain Training 3D would be welcome too: A large floating head in 3D? What's not to love about that? Oh yeah and having Ocarina Of Time and/or Wind Waker as a launch game in a similar manner to Mario 64 last time, that'd be great too.

In any case, I'm rather tempted to simply wait for the inevitable slimmed down edition, and even then avoid early batches that are doomed to hardware faults that typically plague new games machines. Only a properly stellar first year line-up would bring me to buy early.

In any case, I'm rather tempted to simply wait for the inevitable slimmed down edition, and even then avoid early batches that are doomed to hardware faults that typically plague new games machines. Only a properly stellar first year line-up would bring me to buy early.

I don't recall hearing any faults with the original phat DS, but man did the DS lite fail on so many levels. But I think I've made my rant about it's shittiness often enough.

As for an early purchase, I'm pretty likely to do it myself. Theres usually at least one game that will last me ages of replay at launch, and a number of stellar games that come out within the next year. Given 3DSware, there should be some small things in between to keep anyones attention for a little bit, at least if Nintendo pushes it a little better than DSiWare.

I don't recall hearing any faults with the original phat DS, but man did the DS lite fail on so many levels. But I think I've made my rant about it's shittiness often enough.

The DS Phat was riddled with dead pixels (I had to replace mine on several different occasions in the first three weeks the system was out before I got one with good screenery!), was overly bulky; not ergonomic in its design at all, and had very little in the way of high quality software in its first 18 months on shop shelves.

I'd really rather not repeat the experience. Better to wait this time I think.

I disagree, I love my Phat. Yeah the releases were very slow at first, but I find the button layout and feel is much better than the DSL or DSi. The console is curved rather than the uncomfortable aesthetics over ergonomics cuboid shape of the DSL/i, and it's a bit heavy but other than being ugly and heavy I couldn't fault it. The start and select button are in a much nicer place than on other models that don't require you to go out of your way to press it, and its D-Pad is brilliant compared to the may-as-well-have-only-4-directions D-Pad of the DSL.

Also I've been using my DSP regularly since launch, it got its first dead pixel a couple of months ago, the touch screen and every button still work perfectly, and I plan for it to last me until the 3DS is released.

• Thumbs Up 3

I wouldn't hold this view if I hadn't been stung like that. I feel that cautious waiting is going to yield the best results by far.

I love my Phat too and have had it since launch with no problems whatsoever, not had one dead pixel yet. My original PSP that I only got Christmas 2008 brand new however got a dead pixel before it was even 1 year old. I got a DSi on launch and I find myself always playing the Phat over that since it's comfier to hold and use, especially the D-pad which is so much better than the Lite's, DSi/XL's. The Phat's stylus may be a bit too small at times but that's what my big Pokemon Diamond pre-order gift Dialga stylus is for :lol:

I wouldn't hold this view if I hadn't been stung like that. I feel that cautious waiting is going to yield the best results by far.

The way I see it unless Nintendo release the 3DS with an incredibly shitty D-Pad handheld gaming is at the point where very few "improvements" are actually worth buying another system.

Nintendo now have a very clear aesthetic pattern for their console designs to follow, I'd be incredibly surprised if the 3DS was visually closer to the DS than the DSL or DSi.

I think the improvements made to the 3DS models will be minor, even compared to the minor improvements of the DSL/i.

Plus as long as it has atleast one or two strong Nintendo titles at launch, I'm going to be perfectly happy with buying it then and there. If I get bored of it I'll just play other systems, unlike this gen where I ended up buying a bit of early shit for the DS/Wii because I wasn't multiconsole yet.

Edited by SuperLink
  • Thumbs Up 1

3DSWare anyone? How about some 3DSPlay, DSMovie and DSMagazine?

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=246987

Sounds interesting but as 3DS is just the code name I reckon these names will change if the features are implemented.

Glad to hear downloadable games will be returning... I just hope you can somehow transfer over your DSiWare games or they implement an account system this time around to avoid the hassle of having to re-buy everything should problems arise. That would really make this handheld a step into the next generation for Nintendo.

3DSPlay... I have no idea what that is... perhaps it's just the name on the 3DS menu screen for playing the game inserted into the handheld? I dunno, it'll probably end up being something stupid like that rather than anything ultra awesome. But I am open to being proven wrong.

DSMovie and DSMagazine could be interesting, assuming they actually let you watch videos/films and read magazines (and of course, depending on which ones you are able to watch/read).

I'm expecting good things from the 3DS, Nintendo. I'm not expecting a totally revolutionary new handheld, but I am expecting a fairly significant difference between this and the current DS models.

I disagree, I love my Phat. Yeah the releases were very slow at first, but I find the button layout and feel is much better than the DSL or DSi. The console is curved rather than the uncomfortable aesthetics over ergonomics cuboid shape of the DSL/i, and it's a bit heavy but other than being ugly and heavy I couldn't fault it. The start and select button are in a much nicer place than on other models that don't require you to go out of your way to press it, and its D-Pad is brilliant compared to the may-as-well-have-only-4-directions D-Pad of the DSL.

Also I've been using my DSP regularly since launch, it got its first dead pixel a couple of months ago, the touch screen and every button still work perfectly, and I plan for it to last me until the 3DS is released.

Really? Dead Pixels on Phat? I never knew of it. I'll be right back

yep, no DP's here. Though I also do prefer the fat to the light, though mainly for the GBA feature. You don't know how many times that even accidentally poking my GBA cart in a lite froze the damn thing, unlike the fat, where it's fully inserted (That's what she said). It may have been bulky, and somewhat rough on the eyes to look at compared to the rest, but I prefer Old Blue over my blue lite anyday. Now if only I didn't lose it when I had TWEWY and Magical Quest 3 in it. Damn lite. Too small to keep track of.

• 3 weeks later...

If Nintendo can do that, they'll pretty much give the finger to everyone else. Seeing as that's just about saying "Oh hey, yeah guys, you know how your shit is so great but it's huge and bulky and OHMYGODWHATISTHIS oh we must have made a fucking HANDHELD that is just as good as your bulky "stay-at-home" shit, yeah, we own the industry fuckheads."

Oh and I'd buy it super quick. That would be great.

This is either the most awesome thing Nintendo has ever done, or the most hilarious fuckup IGN has had the nerve to post in public. Either way, I can't wait to see what becomes of this, I'll find it interesting either way. Still, the concept of a portable as powerful as a console is fucking maddening, and if the 3DS is capable of pulling that off one must wonder why the fuck the Wii hasn't been getting that kind of attention.

3DS will have enhanced anti-piracy measures

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=245817

If it's compatible with DS games, all I have to say is "Omae wa mo shindeiru"*, it's basically already hacked. Once hackers get in, it's nearly impossible to lock them back out.

*Kenshiro's catchphrase from Fist of the North Star, "You're already dead".

I was wondering... what games are you guys all wanting for this system? Personally, I want 3DS Sports, 3DS Sports Plus and 3DS Fit. There's the obvious ones like Mario Kart, the next handheld Sonic and the inevitable Pokémon A, B and C somewhere down the line. But what else? I've said it before, but I'd kill for a Sunshine remake akin to SM64DS. Mario, Luigi, Wario and Yoshi to replace the Yoshi's that you ride.

This is a 3D console, I'm hoping for a Teleroboxer remake/sequel. That game gave the Virtual Boy purpose.

TB-1.jpg

Man, I wish Harry was in Punch Out Wii, that would have been like the coolest cameo ever.

Unfortunately, This console sounds like it can't really be described as a VR device, so it won't be quit as immersive.

Edited by Phos

According to IGN, off the record devs say that the 3DS is... Nearly as powerful as the 360/PS3?! And it's apparently not using the Tegra chip, either.

Well, I'm not one to trust IGN, and this is incredibly unlike Nintendo, they're practically skipping the Gamecube level if this is true. Though it would be awesome.

Unless they performed a miracle and created this technology with tinfoil and leftover copper wiring, the pricing on the 3DS would have to be brutal.

We'll know in 2 weeks then.

I have a hard time believing that Nintendo "we care so little about graphics that we don't even require developers to implement progressive scan on the Wii" has designed some PS360-level super handheld that will make Sony shit their pants when designing the PSP2, particularly because I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be possible unless you stretch your definition of "portable" to "desktop replacement-sized laptop."

Coupled with the "1/2 of ten minutes" battery life that such a system would absolutely have unless powered by a nuclear reactor and the thousand dollar minimum price tag. Plus the fact that even if Nintendo could overcome all of that and somehow have invented technology that completely subverts the current lineage of system power, all of that amazing power would be wasted simply because Nintendo certainly wouldn't be implementing dual HD screens into the system. Basically, IGN is full of shit, with the chances of this ringing true being about -900%.

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 1

I ignore this topic for a month and they've already got a release date penned? Bloody hell!

As a few others have said, I'm a bit cautious about buying one right away, because you just know they'll be making a 3DS Lite/ i/ iXL/ Micro/ Superhax/ Whatever some kind of 'better' version based on fan and industry feedback from the first model.

Okay, yes, the DS was very much a learning curve for them and you could maybe excuse the DS Lite since that's the first time they were making a real effort to up the quality of the thing, but the i was pushing it a bit, and the iXL is just plain greedy. I'll want to take a good, long look at the 3DS before I decide whether to buy right away or not- if there's any one thing about it that I know I'll regret and say "Damn, I wish I'd waited" when they release the inevitable new model, I'm staying away until said inevitable new model arrives. The only thing that'd persuade me otherwise would be some serious killer-app launch titles/ games within the first year.

And 3DS almost as powerful as PS360? I'm calling bullshit. Seriously, making a handheld almost twice as powerful as their current home console? Quite frankly, I reckon Nintendo's next home console will barely be as powerful as the PS3/ 360.

But hey, if it does happen, Nintendo owners won't have to miss out anymore! Sonic 06 on 3DS, anyone?! :lol:

Take this with a cup full of salt. IGN are probably just over exaggerating the facts on the system, if it's even true at all. I remember several years ago some game mag stated the the GBA was as powerful as a PS1 when in reality only one of its components was on par with that of the PS1, everything else was closer to a SNES.

Almost as powerful as PS360? Not in a billion years, personally I don't think it'll be as powerful as the Gamecube or even PS2, but I'm ok with that because the DS was weak as hell and it's still one of the most awesome consoles of all time.

I thought this was just an upgraded DS? I highly doubt there'll be any big changes to the graphics hardware (except to include the 3D-ness of course) since there's still a ton of games coming out for the DS itself...

Plus I'm sure if there was a huge change, Pokemon B+W (for instance) would surely not be being released for the original DS...right?

I thought this was just an upgraded DS? I highly doubt there'll be any big changes to the graphics hardware (except to include the 3D-ness of course) since there's still a ton of games coming out for the DS itself...

Plus I'm sure if there was a huge change, Pokemon B+W (for instance) would surely not be being released for the original DS...right?

It's a new system.

GC -> Wii

GBA -> DS

DS -> 3DS

Not even joking. It's gonna have brand new hardware. Pokémon B/W, Okamiden, Golden Sun, as well as the remaining Layton games are all for DS. We don't know of any 3DS games yet, E3 will reveal the first ones.

Almost as powerful as a 360? OK so a great chance of having your hands scolded after a few solid hours of gameplay due to overheating.

Your hands will be in bandages within the first week.