Awoo.

Why is the japanese version of SONIC X better?

NoOneEver

Sonic X English version is more of a 4Kids adaption/abridged/what the hell version, I wouldn't really consider it simply as a dub over at all because they did so much more to to it than replace Japanese voices with English ones. The Japanese version is better because it's the original version, and almost automatically superior to whatever 4Kids churned out. If you prefer the American localized garbage, then that is simply your own preference.

Every single episode of Sonic X has 4-6 minutes removed to make room for commercials, so you're already not getting the whole thing anyway. This is the main reason why something very stupid like the camera moving up from Chris's knees to his face after Sonic was saved from the pool to look at him on the first up, or Cream complaining about being given a passport/license/papers to certify her as a pet rather than a sapient being are cut out. And the way the script is written portrays A LOT of scenes differently than how they are originally. Not just those dead scenes, but normal scenes like when Cosmo tried to feel the tree's lifeforce on the frozen planet. In the Japanese version, she says it's dead and can not be revived. In the English version, she says there's still hope.

SEGA also expressed their strong dislike for some of the way some dialogue was rewritten in the SA adaption episodes to 4Kids. That's not cool on 4Kids' part in my book.

• Thumbs Up 1

I hate to be "that guy," but from what I've heard people say about the Japanese version because I personally never watched it nor do I wish to watch it, I can't help but feel this version is too overdramatic. I won't say it is overrated but the way I see it, the dub was too silly and sub was too serious. Two different tones in two different versions. I think both versions could have benefitted more by being a mixture of each tone.

But what do I know? I'm just a person who is too easily pleased by mediocre material. :rolleyes:

SEGA also expressed their strong dislike for some of the way some dialogue was rewritten in the SA adaption episodes to 4Kids. That's not cool on 4Kids' part in my book.

When did they do that?

When did they do that?

Through pretty much the entirety of the episodes focusing on SA and SA2. The japanese adaptation had episodes that had scripts that appeared to be quite loyal to the lines in the actual games. 4Kids rewrites a lot of the lines for no good reason. Including covering up Maria's demise as told by the incredibly guilty old man who happened to be the exact GUN Soldier who murdered her.

No, I mean when did SEGA express their dislike for it. I have no doubt 4Kids screwed around with it.

^ Opinions, opinions.

Think about Sonic X what you like, but I personally thought that the fifth and sixth series were fairly fantastic in Japanese.

Hell, it's far, far better than any version of those thoroughly god-awful '90s cartoons, and didn't fuck around with the franchise's storyline anything like as much as the utterly hideous Sonic Underground did...

No, I mean when did SEGA express their dislike for it. I have no doubt 4Kids screwed around with it.

SEGA actually forced 4Kids to rerecord one line in episode seventeen, because they got it so horrendously wrong.

When you first hear Tikal, she says (quite sensibly) "The servers are the seven chaos". Having never played or even researched the games, 4Kids obviously had no idea what this line was or meant, or that it had any kind of importance. In the first US TV airing of the episode, the line had been changed to "Collect the seven chaos emeralds, and te mystery will be revealed".

Then SEGA went apeshit, bitchslapped 4Kids around a bit and they changed the line to the proper, direct game reference. :lol:

SEGA actually forced 4Kids to rerecord one line in episode seventeen, because they got it so horrendously wrong.

When you first hear Tikal, she says (quite sensibly) "The servers are the seven chaos". Having never played or even researched the games, 4Kids obviously had no idea what this line was or meant, or that it had any kind of importance. In the first US TV airing of the episode, the line had been changed to "Collect the seven chaos emeralds, and te mystery will be revealed".

Then SEGA went apeshit, bitchslapped 4Kids around a bit and they changed the line to the proper, direct game reference. :lol:

That's actually pretty awesome.

I approve Sega, I approve. B)

I find it difficult to believe that Sega had any say in Sonic X's English production, or that they actually cared about it at the time at all. Sauce pls.

Hell, it's far, far better than any version of those thoroughly god-awful '90s cartoons, and didn't fuck around with the franchise's storyline anything like as much as the utterly hideous Sonic Underground did...

Idk man. I like SatAM more than Sonic X. Different continuity or not, I just find its characters and plot more endearing, and the games didn't have a blatant storyline in the 90's, anyway.

But moving on topic: The dub suffers from typical 4kids syndrome. Pointless censorship, mediocre soundtrack, laughable script, the removal of Live and Learn, I could go on.

It's just silly, when the games had violence and death, yet 4kids removed it.

I find it difficult to believe that Sega had any say in Sonic X's English production, or that they actually cared about it at the time at all. Sauce pls.

I personally find it difficult that SEGA would even let 4Kids touch their IP. FUNimation/Viz would have been the more obvious/better choice for localization purposes.

SEGA has final say over 4Kids just as they have all final sayings for the Archie published Sonic Comics and Jazwares figures.

Edited by SEGAMew

I can't find the clip anywhere, but I've seen the original version with the wrong line. I remember the first time it aired, loads of US-based people over at SonicAnime.net were ranting about how 4Kids totally messed up the line.

Every other airing/ DVD release since, as far as I know, has used the corrected version.

EDIT: Not an entirely credible source, but at least it shows I'm not the only one who remembers this;

Link

Edited by Mahzes

Ah, ok. Thanks.

I personally find it difficult that SEGA would even let 4Kids touch their IP. FUNimation/Viz would have been the more obvious/better choice for localization purposes.

SEGA has final say over 4Kids just as they have all final sayings for the Archie published Sonic Comics and Jazwares figures.

Why not? Look at series like Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh!. Both were extremely popular and were dubbed by 4Kids. SEGA probably hoped the same would happen with Sonic X.

Hey I heard that little girls in wheelchairs die in this anime.

Is that true?

Wow.

Honestly, I thought that SatAM was better than Sonic X story wise, and Aosth way WAAAY better than Sonic X humour wise (seriously, that show's like Ren and Stimpy on crack).

Viz does not dub anime as far as I'm aware, as they usually contract their properties to other studios such as Studiopolis (which means Sonic X can still be edited down under their jurisdiction). And I think FUNi has better things to license.

I think both versions are bad. I have a lot of problems with Sonic X

1. Sonic and his friends are transported to Earth, but in the games Sonic and his friends have always lived on Earth.

2.Eggman comes from Sonic's world, but yet in Sonic X's SA2 arc we learn that Eggman's grandfather lived on Earth, which makes no sense since Eggman lived on Sonic's world till Chaos Control brought him to Earth.

3. I don't like the way that the characters act in Sonic X.

Sonic became laid-back and lazy.

Tails was boring.

Knuckles became really stupid.

Amy became a craze insane fangirl, who everyone was afraid of making mad.

Dr. Eggman became a joke. It was hard to take him serious as a villain.

4. And then there was Chris who seemed to be the star of the show.

The Japanese version fixes problems that the English dub has, but it still doesn't fix all the other problem that the show has.

Viz does not dub anime as far as I'm aware, as they usually contract their properties to other studios such as Studiopolis (which means Sonic X can still be edited down under their jurisdiction). And I think FUNi has better things to license.

Viz does dub anime, they just contact Studiopolis to provide the voice acting talent.

Well my point is that for those who think that Viz would have automatically been a better choice, the show still would probably have seen some edits. Rockman EXE is an example. Can you think of a single child-oriented anime that isn't edited down for American TV?

And like I said, FUNi has better things to waste their time on. Things like One Piece and Fullmetal Alchemist have far more monetary worth for them than some shitfully-animated Sonic cartoon aimed at 6-year-olds. Sonic X and 4Kids deserved each other.

Can you think of a single child-oriented anime that isn't edited down for American TV?

Of course shows get edited for TV release, that's a given. Even INUYASHI on ADULT SWIM gets edited to fit in friggin commercials. The DVDs is where it's at.

Why not? Look at series like Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh!. Both were extremely popular and were dubbed by 4Kids. SEGA probably hoped the same would happen with Sonic X.

4Kids wasn't as bad back when they got the Pokemon license. They progressively got worst, especially after obtaining the license for Yu-Gi-Oh!. I'm not even sure what 4Kids saw in YGO to begin with when they took it on. Clearly the show is NOT kids material. Anyway Nintendo wouldn't let 4Kids have Pokemon anymore, while YGO dub is only a means of advertising rather than telling a deep story.

As for SEGA hoped that the same will happen with Sonic X, I'll let you have that one. They succeeded very well ratings wise you wouldn't believe. I will admit they probably could not achieve ratings at this large scale if Sonic was dubbed by FUNimation and shown on Toonami. I wonder if they also anticipated all the fans ranting and griping about the edits.

Edited by SEGAMew

Of course shows get edited for TV release, that's a given. Even INUYASHI on ADULT SWIM gets edited to fit in friggin commercials. The DVDs is where it's at.

If Viz properties like Rockman EXE and Gash Bell get edited-only DVD releases, I'm having a hard time envisioning Sonic X receiving different treatment.

And just one more thing:

Clearly the show is NOT kids material.

Yu-Gi-Oh! was a merchandise vehicle to make little kids buy into their card games. I'm pretty sure it was always a kid's show.

I was more talking about how FUNimation works than Viz/Viz Media/ShoPro/Nelvana/etc. FUNimation were the ones who were releasing uncut YGO! and Shaman King before 4Kids told them that they were making too much money and had to force cancellation.

The simple game of cards of the none Hearts, Diamonds, Clubs, and Spades kind may be geared towards kids (even though the majority who play them are in their late teens to adults). However, the actual contents and junk deals with the occult, death, religion, violence, English words on signs, epic soundtrack, swords that look like crosses, tombstones shaped like crosses, gambling, and all that other junk 4Kids tend to edit.

But I suppose you're right, YGO is considered a kids show in Japan as much as Detective Conan is considered as a kid's show in Japan. And that show deals with crimes of all kinds.

Edited by SEGAMew