Awoo.

Why is the japanese version of SONIC X better?

NoOneEver

I can safely blame everybody turning into joke characters. This is where Sonic became the goody two shoes character that's obsessed with RUN RUN RUN, Tails became the obnoxious little gadget dude who sits in his workshop all day and makes machines, Knuckles became a stereotypical idiot, Amy became the stereotypical "I'LL KILL YOU IF YOU DON'T LOVE ME SONIC" character, Eggman became a sorta cheapish softy at times, and Shadow and Rouge... err, I don't know if I even wanna bring them up. Sonic X and Sonic Heroes were the beginning of every character in the series becoming stereotypes and flanderizations of themselves. I blame the fall of all these characters' development on these two things. Nothing else.

...so yeah, Sonic X wouldn't have been any better if they did keep the stuff from Japanese. As said before, a peice of crap with candy on it (this candy being the pretty awesome soundtrack for the Japanese version) doesn't make the crap any better.

..oh, and don't lie and deny it when I say that I'm sure Chris Thorndyke was the reason Sega spawned Princess Elise. They're basically the exact same character (yes including the fact that they're both female), but this conversation is a different story altogether and better left for another day. :P

• Thumbs Up 1

Or that the character's personalities were watered down, washed out and replaced with violently cheesy stereotypes?

You mean like how the same thing was happening at the same time in the actual games themselves?

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 1

You mean like how the same thing was happening at the same time in the actual games themselves?

...which was exactly my point. Sonic X and Sonic Heroes practically ruined the personalities of.... well.... everybody.

• Thumbs Up 2

Well... I liked the show. I largely prefer the Japanese version, but subtitled, is very hard to find... then again, it's been years since I looked. I looked on youtube a few months ago, and the sub seemed like they used babelfish to translate an winged it with the corrections. Unwatchable. I wouldn't even know where to begin looking for a good sub nowdays ( although it's been a while since I tried... maybe I will )

I can't tolerate the music changes 4kids made, and some of the censorship was too much. Some of the added jokes made my skin crawl...

Anything they did to Sonic X pales in comparison to what they did to OnePiece though. "YO HO HO HE TOOK A BITE OF GUM GUM"

Edited by Lando The Bat
  • Thumbs Up 3

I agree with everything Azukara said.

As for voices on the show, I think Jason's Sonic voice sounded much better in the earlier episodes when he pitched his voice up a little higher. Had kind of a sly edge to it. Then he pretty much started using his natural voice, which I feel is a little overblown for a character like Sonic.

You know what's funny? People are NEVER happy with Sonic voice actors. Hell, even back when we had the old Sega cast, people still complained.

"WE WANT JALEEL WHITE BACK! RYAN DRUMMOND SUCKS AND SOUNDS RETARDED!!!"

Once Jason is replaced, people will want him back.

Maybe because Sonic has never had a good set of voice actors? And note, the current cast was at their absolute worst in Sonic X. Actually, the set that ADV used on the OVA was pretty good, though a bit inconsistent in terms of quality.

Edited by Phos

Because 4Skin entertainment neutered the script, castrated the soundtrack and circumcised the storyline; this left us with a pile of useless and clapped-out genitalia to call a "cartoon series".

Did I mention that the indescribably bad voice acting from the English dub of Sonic X infected the games, too? Or that the character's personalities were watered down, washed out and replaced with violently cheesy stereotypes?

You need only look at episode comparisons for more reasons...

1. Sonic X IS a cartoon.

2. Bad voice acting has always been in the Sonic games. "Look out, he's gonna crash. Aaah." It's been criticized forever.

3. Even if the bad voice acting is in the games, it's not the fault of the voice actors, it's Sega's fault for the way they direct them. In fact, the 4Kids VAs have more experience with acting than the older cast does. Sure, some of the older cast may have had better voices, but the 4Kids voices are close enough AND are better when it comes to acting.

Maybe because Sonic has never had a good set of voice actors? And note, the current cast was at their absolute worst in Sonic X. Actually, the set that ADV used on the OVA was pretty good, though a bit inconsistent in terms of quality.

Seriously? I thought the ADV cast was the worst... In fact, I used to see a lot of people bash the voices. Sonic sounded like a snobby nerd, Tails sounded like a loud girl with a cold, and Knuckles... was alright, but really different compared as to how his voice is portrayed now. Oh yeah... What about Metal Sonic's voice, huh? Basically the snobby nerdy Sonic with a robotic effect added. The only one I'd say was great in it was Robotnik.

Edited by MugiMikey
  • Thumbs Up 1

OVA Sonic was great and fitting. Martin Burke did well. And who cares if he sounds like a nerd? I'm a nerd, so nerd power! :P And I didn't have too much of a problem with Tails either; as he sounded like a little stuffy inside person who was sorta fussy, like I imagine Tails to be. And Knuckles was great; perfect for him, and Eggman was perfect as well.

Shadow smacking Chris' bitch-ass face ;_; That's all I have to say about the matter.

Nobody pimps hos like Shadow the Hedgehog.:D

There are a couple of things I can point out, like the editing of Knuckles going into a burlesque house being followed by Decoe and Bocoe who arrive back to Robotnik with steamy lipstick all over their faces.

Another is from the last episode where Eggman tries to distract Rouge from questioning about Shadow by commenting on her large breasts. Rouge promptly smacks him and walks out. The dub haphazardly tries to cover up the large pink welt on his face.

Robotnik is seen to down two alcoholic drinks in the original, including dumping a raw egg in what appears to be bourbon or rum (dubbed as Prune juice) and is also seen to down white "chocolate milk" in the episode that takes part on the ice planet (it is thought the original had him down sake.) Champagne is usually masked as orange juice (as if kids don't know about alcoholic drinks already.)

Laser blasts replace mechanical gun shots, and the music dubbed is dreadful and awkward.

The worst part is the disrespect for the concept of death, as if it is not supposed to exist and that children should be sheltered from this fact of life.

^ So what? The music and death censorship are the only complaints that make a real difference.

I think the Japanese originals are better, too, but due to the plotline and its execution being more consistent and fluent. The dub changed some stuff, and while that never bothered me that much, I felt it decreased some of the events's impacts.

For the first twenty-six episodes, the dub was great if you asked me. Aside from some script errors, I didn't see any huge differences. The only key ones there were masking the crocodile's electrocution (I saw that coming from a mile away, but only because edited-for-broadcast dubs had to abide strict FCC guidelines) and a masking of lewd humor between Lucky and Sonic. The last 52 was edited quite a bit, especially the Cosmo saga.

Laser blasts replace mechanical gun shots, and the music dubbed is dreadful and awkward.

I found it silly went they change the bullet sounds for lasers when Chaos was introduced in Sonic X. But they used really bullets in the original Dreamcast game so it's like why censor what cannot die normally?

Funny because I remember right 4kids was giving away the GCN remake in a contest once soooooo....

I found it silly went they change the bullet sounds for lasers when Chaos was introduced in Sonic X. But they used really bullets in the original Dreamcast game so it's like why censor what cannot die normally?

Funny because I remember right 4kids was giving away the GCN remake in a contest once soooooo....

Didn't they not even FIRE their guns in the dub? I recall them aiming their guns, then cutting to them running away.

Which makes them look like total wussies and really doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

• Thumbs Up 2

There are a couple of things I can point out, like the editing of Knuckles going into a burlesque house being followed by Decoe and Bocoe who arrive back to Robotnik with steamy lipstick all over their faces.

Another is from the last episode where Eggman tries to distract Rouge from questioning about Shadow by commenting on her large breasts. Rouge promptly smacks him and walks out. The dub haphazardly tries to cover up the large pink welt on his face.

Robotnik is seen to down two alcoholic drinks in the original, including dumping a raw egg in what appears to be bourbon or rum (dubbed as Prune juice) and is also seen to down white "chocolate milk" in the episode that takes part on the ice planet (it is thought the original had him down sake.) Champagne is usually masked as orange juice (as if kids don't know about alcoholic drinks already.)

The worst part is the disrespect for the concept of death, as if it is not supposed to exist and that children should be sheltered from this fact of life.

I think everything you pointed out there besides the music and death are pointless. Especially the alcohol and breast comments, as those didn't change the storyline at all and it shouldn't even have been there in the original anyway. And to me the lasers weren't all that different from bullets anyway.

• Thumbs Up 1

Didn't they not even FIRE their guns in the dub? I recall them aiming their guns, then cutting to them running away.

Which makes them look like total wussies and really doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Your right. lol I fail. But they did replace all the gun shots with lasers like Kintobor said.

Another thing I didn't like about Sonic X in any version was the Sonic Battle arc. It doesn't even focus on Emerl's epic character development from Battle. He was just a random robot who was a hero for a while. But one difference in the Sonic Battle arc (not the whole Rouge kissing Tails deal) was Emerl cried oil in the Japanese version compared to the actucal tears in the 4kids version. I liked the whole oil crying deal because Emerl is a robot after all. Random water in Emerl must had made him malfunction. lol

And I didn't like how Emerl didn't seem like he could comeback as Gmel.

Edited by Guest

^ So what? The music and death censorship are the only complaints that make a real difference.

Not necessarily. From the dub, they cut out a large crucial part where it was revealed at the end that the picture in the locket Bokkun owned was Cream, and that's what Rouge used to bribe the little robot-chao thingy into doing her dirty deeds or risk everyone knowing this little secret.

Another thing I could mention is that they cut out other scenes including a super-deformed Robotnik with the Metarex that humorously went through phantasmagorical scenes where he would honor Dark Oak like a boss, which satirized stereotyping brown-nosing salarymen (golfing with Dark Oak was a point.)

The breast scene was actually used to imply that Eggman knew about the whereabouts of Shadow, and the fact that he wasn't going to tell anyone what happened.

So, no. The death scenes and the music aren't the only things that would create a "real" difference. Everything counts to create a bigger picture; the tone, the storyline, the details since they all create a scene.

• Thumbs Up 2

Sonic X has always been a painful show to watch. The Japanese version is better than the English dub in the same way that shooting my foot with a nail gun is better than cutting off my thumbs.

At least the English dub had the courtesy of being technically shorter in length than the original. It was also one of 4Kids's more faithful adaptations, so I'd rather not see Sonic X in the same sentence as One Piece.

If I had to say anything remotely decent about the show, it's that a handful of the episodes (out of 78, so it's not saying much) are surprisingly decent, and it prompted me to buy a 3-CD compilation of Off Course singles. Their music makes me feel rather nostalgic, though not necessarily for the anime.

Admittedly the English dub was positively horrific, but it was all tolerable until this happened:

notasteinart.jpg

4kids Entertainment has no taste in fine art.

Edited by HunterTSF
  • Thumbs Up 2

Admittedly the English dub was positively horrific, but it was all tolerable until this happened:

Somehow I find that comparison utterly hilarious, due to my being unable to fathom any sane reason for 4kids to make that edit!XD

notasteinart.jpg

Have they no shame in razing post-modern abstract Cubism?

Yeah, they made a lot more boneheaded edits with the signs. Needless to say some of them were blatant Engrish or they appeared to be typed with their elbows ala the computer text skins you see in Sonic 06', but they left out a fine crucial detail with Gerald's entry:

3321.jpg

Also Eggman uses Yahoo!

470.jpg

Note: This image wasn't edited in any way.

• 9 months later...

It always bothers me when people use the line

"watch out your gonna crash agh!"

As an example against drummond.

This is a SCRIPT issue not a ACTING issue...

Think about it, how would you of delivered that line?

• Thumbs Up 2

It always bothers me when people use the line

"watch out your gonna crash agh!"

As an example against drummond.

This is a SCRIPT issue not a ACTING issue...

Think about it, how would you of delivered that line?

So it's okay to make fun of Jason when he makes a bad line and not Ryan? :huh:

I realize I responded to a dead topic, I apologize.

I realize I responded to a dead topic, I apologize.

For what? Despite the topic having been dead for a while, the initial question of the topic I see as still genuine. Besides, way better to revive a topic than to make another one about the matter, so there you go. ^___^

Well sonic x was the second thing I knew about sonic(sonic heroes being the first)and back then I thought it was great until many years later when I saw the japanese opening and "Maria's request everyone's request. And after I saw that it made the english version look terrible there's just so much stuff in the japanese version that the english version doesn't have deleted scenes, proper music, or having a sence that sonic x is an anime. *sigh* so in my opinion watch the japanese version you will be alot happier trust me.