Awoo.

Sonic 4 interview in latest Nintendo Power

Detective Shadzter

Whenever one of those differences is "Is always scowling", that would be called a problem.

I don't understand how that’s a difference, since Sonic always had an angry look during most of the classic 2D games (his idle animation in Sonic 1 and 2 definitely gave me that impression at least).

Never know, it could be just some tiny difference that's been photoshopped in.

Like how tons of Kirby games have his eyes photoshopped to make him look all "cool and determined" on the western box art.

screenshot_193902.jpg

Hell, his expression might change depending on the situation in-game. That'd be pretty cool.

Edited by JezMM

Kay about the cast in episode 2. I really think this whole classic motiff is not gonna be true to it's core. First of all, Sonic knows the homing attack and has retained his adventure esque form, I think characters both old in new will appear. Not just Tails and Knuckles. But probably Cream and Shadow to. The continuity in this game is just to out there. No way Iizuka is gonna follow the cannon from back then and not use characters that were introduced a decade back since this isn't really a revamp of Sonic. It's a new game.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Kay about the cast in episode 2. I really think this whole classic motiff is not gonna be true to it's core. First of all, Sonic knows the homing attack and has retained his adventure esque form, I think characters both old in new will appear. Not just Tails and Knuckles. But probably Cream and Shadow to. The continuity in this game is just to out there. No way Iizuka is gonna follow the cannon from back then and not use characters that were introduced a decade back since this isn't really a revamp of Sonic. It's a new game.

It's set before Sonic Adventure so no one introduced since then will be appearing.

I think I have to agree! I wouldn't be surprised at all if new characters showed up, especially given who's behind the wheel.

Episode 1 is the 'prequel' to the rest of Sonic 4. But would it really make sense to have the E1 then SA1, SA2, Heroes, ShTH, 06, Unleashed and THEN E2? Seems a bit messy or strong for a game with little story focus.

Well that's considering they give a care about the story anyway, and history shows they really don't (Sonic 4 intro section anyone?)

Either through downloadable extra or some other hackneyed means, they're totally not gonna pass up the chance to throw a modern character in here. It's pretty obvious that they aren't as serious about the retro revival bit as Capcom was and that "Sonic 4" as a name has no meaning at all.

Well that's considering they give a care about the story anyway, and history shows they really don't (Sonic 4 intro section anyone?)

Either through downloadable extra or some other hackneyed means, they're totally not gonna pass up the chance to throw a modern character in here. It's pretty obvious that they aren't as serious about the retro revival bit as Capcom was and that "Sonic 4" as a name has no meaning at all.

DLC? Why the hell not! I'd love other character skins for the game. But I don't see the idea extending beyond skins.

Whenever one of those differences is "Is always scowling", that would be called a problem.

That depends entirely upon who you ask, and "is always scowling" is not going to come to everyone's mind.

Even so, it's not something that comes close to "looking like shit". The models are still similar for the most part and not as drastic as it is made out to be.

EDIT: And actually, so long as he has a smile on his face it isn't something that can be considered "scowling". And even if it were scowling, it's not like his modern incantation is the only one that had a scowl if we were to use Black Spy's example of the models from Sonic 1, CD, R and 4. Even his classic ones had scowls to them at times, especially when it comes to their models in-game.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic
  • Thumbs Up 1

That couldn't be more of a SIMILARITY than anything; both modern and classic designs have their fair share of both scowling and un-scowling looks.

You say that now to take the high road, but let's face it:

If the game had the best gameplay ever, but the graphics were complete shit, the sound effects abysmal, and the audio in general a complete ear rape, it WOULD detract from your enjoyment.

Believe it or not, presentation plays a big part in these things.

AND, if you really don't think so, give me a rom of your favorite Sonic game. I'm going to completely crap on everything BUT the gameplay, and challenge you to enjoy it just as you did before.

I know presentation can play a big part in games, but you can hardly compare it to the importance of the gameplay. A lot of games technically look like shit but play wonderfully. You may not be too big into fighters, but an example I immediately think of are the Melty Blood fighters. The in game sprites are absolute crap and the backgrounds aren't really much to look at but the gameplay is pretty damn fun and engaging. The same goes for a tons of fan games out there on the internet.

Please don't give me shit about visuals and audio impacting a game that much. If that were true, people wouldn't still put games like Super Mario 64 and and Ocarina of Time at the top of their favorite/best game of all time lists to this day. They both look like complete shit by today's standards. ..So does that suddenly mean they aren't as good as they were back when they original released? I guarantee that the majority of the gaming public would give you an astounding, big, fat, 'No' in response. Be my guest, grab a ROM of Sonic 3 and Knuckles and shit all over it. You'll only be putting in a bunch of unnecessary effort to prove yourself wrong.

Oh dear, I actually don't care what shade of blue Sonic is or what color his eyes are. Oh my, I don't care that they used the same design for Sonic that they've been using for over a decade now for this game. I must be insane! :\

It doesn't matter if the game is fun to play. And I guarantee that half the motherfuckers whining about dumb shit like that now won't care about it enough to actually not buy Episode I pretty much right after it releases.. If not first motherfucking day. Hahaha.

You'd think with all the incessant whining stuff like that wouldn't happen, but it does! All the damn time! And people wonder why Sonic '06 broke a million..

Edited by Top Cat
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • Bad Quality Post 1

For Mega Man 9 and 10 being sooooo dedicated to the classic spirit, they sure did put in a lot of elements from stuff after Mega Man 7.

(kinda off topic)

Wow as anyone seen this yet on Sonic Retro looks amazing

http://www.sonicretro.org/2010/03/new-sonic-fan-project-shows-promise/

There is more on a topic on the Sonic retro forums

http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?showtopic=19981

:Edit:

There is also a short video aswell

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mS7aXOZShX0&feature=player_embedded

Edited by Crash

Sporting wonderful 3D graphics and running on the Unity3D engine, the project shows immense amounts of promise, even being instantly praised as how the upcoming Sonic the Hedgehog 4 “should have been done.”

The bold is pure comical gold.

How Sonic 4 "should have been done" and they're basing this on a screenshot compared to the actual gameplay footage and extra info we've gotten on the official game itself. And what exactly about this game is something that Sonic 4 "should've done" when they've probably already done it.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic
  • Thumbs Up 3

It looks just like Sonic 4, only 10 times more hideous, and 20 times more rehashy. The 3D models of the stages looks more fake than 4's paralex scrolling, and looks like something you'd see on a cheap PC game than a console, there's way too much stuff on screen, and don't even get me started with Sonic's model.

Edited by Black Spy
  • Thumbs Up 2

EDIT: This^ times ten.

That reminds me of those "classic games in HD" drawings that everyone seems to love. As much as I love detail in the environments, I don't like that level of detail. It feels like a cluttered mess and makes me look at anything but the path ahead of me. Distracting. Now, something similar, with some actual space between the trees and flowers, and a not so microscopic Sonic, I'd be all for that.

Edited by Lando The Bat

Even his classic ones had scowls to them at times, especially when it comes to their models in-game.

Yes, in pretty much every classic Sonic game Sonic has had an angry (or "determined" as some would call it) look on his face.
Sporting wonderful 3D graphics and running on the Unity3D engine, the project shows immense amounts of promise, even being instantly praised as how the upcoming Sonic the Hedgehog 4 “should have been done.”
And so the 'pessimists' take another jab at Sonic 4 by doing something they've been telling people not to do since the game was announced: they're assuming the game will be good from a few screens.

Outstanding.

• Thumbs Up 1

And then the people here become pessimists because classic Sonic is in the video. :P How is that model so bad? It looks great! And the stage really does too. The only problems with it have already been stated in the topic at Retro: the background is so bright and detailed compared to the foreground that it clashes them together, causing somewhat of a mess. Like shown in several example shots done by community member BlazeHedgehog, if he adds a fog to the background to define their differences, it would look much better.

Needless to say, I really wish Sonic 4 looked like that. But then again it makes me feel bad my game Sonic FreeRunner will never have that much beauty. :'<

Sonic seems to small in that :/

It doesn't matter if the game is fun to play. And I guarantee that half the motherfuckers whining about dumb shit like that now won't care about it enough to actually not buy Episode I pretty much right after it releases.. If not first motherfucking day. Hahaha.

I'm done with the point (due to lack of caring), but I just wanna pick on you for two bits:

1. When DO those things actually matter?

2. You severely underestimate the appeal of an in level Super Sonic. =P I always said from the get go my purchasing of the game would hinge on that factor.

Edited by Aquaslash

I'm done with the point (due to lack of caring), but I just wanna pick on you for two bits:

1. When DO those things actually matter?

I say they're secondary at the very least. They're not that important, but at the same time they're not that minor.

A game could be just a stick figure jumping around boxes and walls, and it can still be fun and hold out well. Making the visuals more appeasing helps to draw in the audience, but it shouldn't be something that determines the game's overall appeal.

2. You severely underestimate the appeal of an in level Super Sonic. =P I always said from the get go my purchasing of the game would hinge on that factor.

I suppose. I don't really see why Super Sonic in levels would suddenly make the game a must buy. Especially if I didn't care for the other decisions made in reference to the game. Maybe you should tone down your infatuation with Super forms a bit. :P

Then again, that's how you've always been that since I've known you, GrandMasterGalvatron. It's.. endearing. :3

That video is pretty cool actually, but I think I prefer the look of Sonic 4 more. It may lack the detail that fan project has, but the art stlye works more for me.

EDIT: This^ times ten.

That reminds me of those "classic games in HD" drawings that everyone seems to love. As much as I love detail in the environments, I don't like that level of detail. It feels like a cluttered mess and makes me look at anything but the path ahead of me. Distracting. Now, something similar, with some actual space between the trees and flowers, and a not so microscopic Sonic, I'd be all for that.

The footage shown looks like Sonic 2 on acid. I can't be the only one who thought that. No offense to the dude working on the project. It's an impressive feat.

If Sonic 4 was going to have hi-res, realistic graphics and shit then I probably wouldn't have given it a second glance. I prefer my Sonic games to have somewhat of a cartoonish charm to them.

Edited by Light

The fan -game is extremely impressive, but kind of... too busy? I dunno. I like the look of Sonic 4.

Regarding the fangame: While it looks pretty, it's way too damn busy. I have trouble finding Sonic in all that is going on. Rainbows, whales jumping, grass, pillars. I'd still go with the official Sonic 4 over this fan offering.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1