Awoo.

Sonic 4 interview in latest Nintendo Power

Detective Shadzter

I will agree that he looks a little weird in that scan, but that's probably due to the quality of the scan and not the actual design. All of the robots just look like more detailed versions of their original selves; Nothing much to that.

Yeah, that's right on the money. My scanner has trouble with pictures, so they either look washed out, darker, and or look a little weird. The pages of the the scans are actually supposed to be light blue, but instead they came out white. =/

Don't judge the scans's photos as that's how it will look in the game, especially since they are low-quality pictures anyways. =P

• Thumbs Up 1

So two significant modern designs, over... how many classic designs? About the same? Although classic loses out by default because assface Sonic is the definition of butt.

Would someone explain why everyone calls new sonic assfaced.

Would someone explain why everyone calls new sonic assfaced.

I think it's because he always has that line in the middle above his eyes which makes it look like a little blue butt on his face. Could be wrong though.

• Thumbs Up 1

* ding ding ding * You're absolutely right, Speedfreak! :D

Actually I don't mind any of the designs Sonic has had over the years, bar one: Sonic Riders Sonic. Nobody has the right to say Nextgen Sonic was overly lanky and disproportionate whenever they see that Sonic. He's like seven feet tall, his spikes droop to his feet and his hands are bigger than his body! And did I mention the really obnoxious shades he had that weren't even used when racing? Also note how his limbs were ape-like beanpoles that, as farther down they went, they became as wide around as a flippin' basketball! I'm not really sure who designed that style of Sonic and co. but I really hope they got fired. :/

Ugh. The way you guys ramble on and whine about design/visual changes you'd think you cared about that more than how the actual fucking game plays. It's so unbelievably stupid.

Speaking of gameplay (the thing that actually matters), I'm rather disappointed that Sonic 2 is the primary inspiration for the level design. I realize for some it's a reason to rejoice (as it is many fans' favorite Genesis/Mega Drive Sonic game, if not their all-time favorite), but I think Sonic 2 is the most bland of them all. It was a fun game, but I don't find myself replaying it as much as Sonic 3 and Knuckles or even Sonic 1 for that matter.

Regardless, the game looks really good. I'm waiting for an official release date. As well as maybe a ball park estimate as to when Episode II will come out. Late this year? Early next year?

Edited by Top Cat
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Oh, believe me, I care more about the game than I ever could about the character's designs. But the Riders designs to me were just too dang far. :P

I wish it was more of where they were basing the level design off SCD's. Yes, I know, very few will agree with me. But really after playing fangames like Sonic Nexus (which featured highly similar level design), I fully understand this is what Sonic does best in. Sonic does best in an environment that is open and stands first and foremost as the layout for a platforming game. A loop or crazy shaped terrain is an obstacle and a gimmick, not standard Sonic fare that should be taken for granted. Sure, you expect it in Sonic games, but it's not to be spammed everywhere. And nooks and crannies for little secrets never hurt. Level specific gimmicks filling the stages to the brim making them feel so fresh every time you pick them up. Crazy gadgets and playground-like constructions; you know, like those places everybody complains about in SCD's level design where they say it "prevents you from going fast"? It really doesn't; in fact all it does is encourage you to mess with physics and use it wisely and take advantage of it, because if you do you get completely satisfying results. This is how I feel they should've went with level design-wise.

That is the dumbest reason to call him assfaced.

And at least all his key desing elements have been in all the games, i think.

Edited by Eternlo

For some reason, I always think of this when someone says "assface" Sonic.

s3d_lolz.gif

Not really sure why...well, I guess it's because the thing is fugly.

Ah, thanks for clearing that up. Gotta say hip with the classifications of Sonic.

As for the "When will we see episode II?" question posted early, I'd say early next year. Part of me thinks it should come sooner than that, but it probably won't given how long Sega's spent hyping up the first episode.

s3d_lolz.gif

That wouldn't be too bad if the eye placement wasn't so shitty. He's looking two different ways at once.

Some people call new Sonic "Sonic the Headgehog because his head looks massive with those giant quills. Like he would topple over from being too top heavy.

Personally I'm fine with how new Sonic looks though.

you know, like those places everybody complains about in SCD's level design where they say it "prevents you from going fast"? It really doesn't; in fact all it does is encourage you to mess with physics and use it wisely and take advantage of it, because if you do you get completely satisfying results. This is how I feel they should've went with level design-wise.

The thing that really killed CD for me was that the physics were pretty broken. When you move in the air, all your momentum is canceled, and in levels that have loads of bumps in the road, you rarely ever get anywhere above a mild jog, and it's even more glaring in Stardust Speedway where you are sometimes launched off the road causing you to go from 380 to 50 in a pixel.

And the levels went way to far in it's emphasis on platforming. Sonic 1 had a greater emphasis on platforming, but you were given room to move around and spread your legs, but in CD, your running over speed bumps every few feet.

Sonic CD was set up that way so the time travel aspect couldn't be abused. It was fine for that game, but it really wouldn't work for a game that didn't have a similar reason for doing so.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic CD was set up that way so the time travel aspect couldn't be abused. It was fine for that game, but it really wouldn't work for a game that didn't have a similar reason for doing so.

But by doing that, it made time travel so frustratingly hard because of it. It's not like there's any real reward for traveling through time unless you have all the time stones and can access the Good Future in all levels, but by then you deserve that reward, or unless you want to get all those time capsule things, but even then, actually finding them is enough of a challenge as it is, and getting to the time period is just too much at that point.

But by doing that, it made time travel so frustratingly hard because of it.

Which is probably why they implemented the time stones in the first place. In any case, I wasn't defending it. I was simply stating the probable reasoning behind it.

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 1

how do you post a picture?

I just tried and it didnt work.

Ahh screw it heres a link instead.

sonic retro - sonic comparison pic

Scroll down the page and youll see it. I really like it.

Just view the image on it's own, then copy the URL, then while posting, look for the "inset image" button, then paste the URL into the text box.

Anyways, just here's the image he was speaking of, also, someone used the wrong Sonic model if they were going for R...yey

EDIT: Eh, to save space, I'll delete mine and just let Black Spy put it up.

Edited by Derg

how do you post a picture?

I just tried and it didnt work.

Ahh screw it heres a link instead.

sonic retro - sonic comparison pic

Scroll down the page and youll see it. I really like it.

You tried putting the image in a separate tab, copying the link, and pasting it in as an image right?

sonicwalking.png

Ugh. The way you guys ramble on and whine about design/visual changes you'd think you cared about that more than how the actual fucking game plays. It's so unbelievably stupid.

You say that now to take the high road, but let's face it:

If the game had the best gameplay ever, but the graphics were complete shit, the sound effects abysmal, and the audio in general a complete ear rape, it WOULD detract from your enjoyment.

Believe it or not, presentation plays a big part in these things.

AND, if you really don't think so, give me a rom of your favorite Sonic game. I'm going to completely crap on everything BUT the gameplay, and challenge you to enjoy it just as you did before.

Edited by Aquaslash
  • Thumbs Up 2

Yes, visual style is just as important an enjoyable aspect of a game as gameplay is. It doesn't matter if somebody cooks the best-tasting steak ever, if it literally looks like a pile of shit, you're not going to want to eat it.

I'm really not a big fan of Splash Hill Zone's visual style. Even without the plastic coating, it reminds me a lot of Sonic Advance 2's level graphics. Not what I would expect in a game like this.

You say that now to take the high road, but let's face it:

If the game had the best gameplay ever, but the graphics were complete shit, the sound effects abysmal, and the audio in general a complete ear rape, it WOULD detract from your enjoyment.

Believe it or not, presentation plays a big part in these things.

AND, if you really don't think so, give me a rom of your favorite Sonic game. I'm going to completely crap on everything BUT the gameplay, and challenge you to enjoy it just as you did before.

But this is about model designs that are next to identical in the long run save for two notable differences......

Honestly:

protesting-protester.jpg?t=1268468055

or arguing, you get the point.

Edited by Black Spy
  • Thumbs Up 1

But this is about model designs that are next to identical in the long run save for two notable differences......

Honestly:

protesting-protester.jpg?t=1268468055

or arguing, you get the point.

Whenever one of those differences is "Is always scowling", that would be called a problem.