Awoo.

Sonic 4 interview in latest Nintendo Power

Detective Shadzter

*images*

...What's your point? The only collection game that had classic Sonic on the cover was SUGC (which didn't even have Sonic on the cover in the UK verison).

Wrong collections :|

I was referring to Ultimate Genesis Collection as well as Sonic Genesis (sorry to mention that, but it proves my point =P)

At the end of the day, they could have used the classic look if they really wanted to. Sonic's design between games HASN'T been consistent enough for people to be alarmed, ESPECIALLY when you compare this to god damn Sonic Riders!

Every iteration of Sonic from SA onward is identifiable as being based on the modern design. None of them can be mistaken as an example of the classic design (as the nerdrage over Sonic's design clearly proves), and none are distinct enough to justify making a third category (not any more than Spinball's sprites deserve to be recognized as a separate design).

Iizuka wasn't talking about specific instances of each group, but of the two groups themselves. He didn't pick Unleashed Sonic over S3&K Sonic, he picked modern over classic, and for a perfectly understandable reason: it's 2010, not 1991, and they're going to stick with the same core design they've used in everything since '98 rather than regressing to the earlier design.

This isn't PR bullshit. Stop being a spaz.

Oh please, if that was the case they damn well could have made a hybrid. Again, it wouldn't have been too jarring from the likes of 06 and Riders.

I can understand why they would use the modern looks, but his reasoning and wording was complete bullshit.

EDIT: Oh god, two people replying, this should be fun XD Opp, make that one

Edited by Aquaslash

No, the case of the looks in 06 and Riders is pretty damn blatant. The difference in art styles in the classics didn't compare to those changes. Or do I need to pull out Eggman pictures?

Blatancy is besides the point. A different styling or rendering or imagining is not necessarily the same as a different overall iteration of a design which is the major distinction of this issue (although it pains me to call it that). Really, if you have a 2010 Cadillac that's black with leather seats and a 2010 Cadallic that's red with chrome trim, the red one doesn't suddenly become a Camaro.

Also, a less BS excuse would involve not alienating the kiddies (though one only needs to pull out the boxes of the collections and it falls flat on it's face)

So... there is no excuse? xP

Lastly, I really don't care about the designs to much. The modern one is pretty slick, but I HAD to call out the obvious PR bull crap.

I ultimately don't care that much about this whole design business either, but answers that you don't agree with do not necessarily equate to PR bull crap.

EDIT: OH and if we're gonna harp on a change as small as eye color to back up our claims, I'm gonna have to stay harping on the changes to Super Sonic's quills, especially in the span of three games. (OH, and Rouge's clothes too, which like to change in almost every game she's in)

I was just using eye-color as cheap monikers for the classic and modern styles; Believe me, I don't want to go there again.

At the end of the day, they could have used the classic look if they really wanted to.

Oh please, if that was the case they damn well could have made a hybrid.

They could've, but they didn't.

Because they wanted to continue to use the same core design that they have for over a decade.

• Thumbs Up 3

So... there is no excuse? xP

Actually, if he would have said "branding", or "We're FINALLY" starting to have a consistent Sonic, I'd have been down with that.

In fact, if he had picked a year that WASN'T 1998, I'd have been down with that too (2007 would have been more appropriate)

I think he may have just screwed himself with piss poor wording XD

EDIT:

Because they wanted to continue to use the same core design that they have for over a decade.

Too bad it hasn't been defined that long :|

in fact, DARE I say they're still defining it!

EDIT TWO!: IN fact, I'm TOTALLY calling ANOTHER variation within the next two years.

Edited by Aquaslash
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

"We're using the Unleashed model for consistency and for maintaining the precious identity of the brand!" sounds a lot more like fake PR and puffery than, "Because we wanted to."

"We're using the Unleashed model for consistency and for maintaining the precious identity of the brand!" sounds a lot more like fake PR and puffery than, "Because we wanted to."

Does it? Makes more sense than the other thing. *shrugs*

The design's been shifted around, no doubt, but it's just that: shifting. Not a full-on redesign like SA, just trying to settle in to a comfortable spot.

Thanks for changing this topic back into win, Dusk.

Though it seems Iizuka never called out LBP, it was just the GameInformer editor. Also, the episodic approach is to fit the small shortage space of the Wii. Makes sense.

Those screens look gorgeous and I'm optimistic Sonic 4 will be a fun (=good) game. Anyhow I can't make any judgments based on a few pics, I need to hear people's impressions and of course play it myself.

in fact, DARE I say they're still defining it!

Because classic Sonic was so defined with his two/three (almost completely) different designs depending on where you lived in the world. How are the minute changes from SA1-Sonic to Sonic Classic Collection-Sonic any different? I'd argue that it's better in a way, because at least worldwide the design is consistent.

In fact, I'd only say that Sonic has had two significant modern designs - Sonic Adventure era, and what I like to call 'Nintendo' era (as I first noticed the change in Sonic Advance 2). Sonic 06 really, really doesn't count, Riders is a spinoff (in which case I can throw Spinball at your argument) and Unleashed is pretty much 'Nintendo' era but in 3D. So er, overreacting on the 'design changes', much? I think you might be, just a tad.

So two significant modern designs, over... how many classic designs? About the same? Although classic loses out by default because assface Sonic is the definition of butt.

• Thumbs Up 2

Wrong collections :|

I was referring to Ultimate Genesis Collection as well as Sonic Genesis (sorry to mention that, but it proves my point =P)

Sonic was only on the US Ultimate Genesis Collection Boxart.

I think he looks fine, sure his eyes look like Sonic's just told him Mrs.Buzz Bomber has run off with Mr.Newtron down the road but he still looks cool.

I dunno, maybe its because its a picture and its not moving, but I think something is odd about the Buzzbomber...

Edit: Just read the interview and two things:

1. Motobug is a ladybug? O.O How could I miss this? >-<

2. I never knew Sonic 1's graphics were supposed to be CGI like... :o

Edited by MarcelloF

Well, you can see that in the shading of Sonic 1 that they were going for a rounded 3-dimensional look. I think that's what Iizuka meant.

Ah, ok. Thanks, Barry.

Is it just me or does Sonic look darker in those pics than he does in the earlier ones we saw? And his skin looks less yellowish.. This is very good. Those were my 2 (minor) complaints about his look in the game :-D

Oh, and I guess we can rule out old songs being in the game...

Edited by MarcelloF

I'm fine with no old songs being in Sonic 4. This is a new game after all, not a reha--*SHOT*

Edited by Tentomon

Oh, I'm not complaining about it, I just noticed it. I really don'T care, and I think its better that there are only new songs. I don't want Sonic using GHZ's music over and over like Mario uses its songs.

At first its really cool, but then its in every game >_>.

• Thumbs Up 1

Buzz Bomber looks shit in that scan. :(

How? He looks more like a robot than he ever did in the past.

• Thumbs Up 1

I will agree that he looks a little weird in that scan, but that's probably due to the quality of the scan and not the actual design. All of the robots just look like more detailed versions of their original selves; Nothing much to that.

I'm fine with no old songs being in Sonic 4. This is a new game after all, not a reha--*SHOT*

Having some remixed tunes wouldn't make it a rehash. I hope it at least does that Sonic 3 act clear theme when you clear an act.

I know, it was mostly a joke. Though I do feel that it's best to have new songs influenced by the classics. However, remixed jingles would be cool.