Awoo.

Vanquish

Sega DogTagz

If you didn't notice anything special or unique about Vanquish while playing the demo I don't really know what to say.

It seriously doesn't play anything like any other shooter I've played. It's not generic at all. I love the fast pace and style of it.

I know the developers were aiming to speed up some of the third person shooters that were released in the past, but it's rather inconsistent throughout the experience. Yes, jetboots make you move very fast, but then that speed is cut by everything else in the game. You have bullettime mode which creates the illusion that things are moving really fast, but it's just that, an illusion. Sam's normal movement with and without ironsights is on par with his predecessors in the genre. And like in Gears of War Sam has to stop and pick up EVERYTHING, including extra ammo for guns he's already holding. If I could have jet boots on all the time then maybe it'd be the kinda "fast paced" gameplay I'm expecting. But no, even that's hindered by a gauge.

I know the developers were aiming to speed up some of the third person shooters that were released in the past, but it's rather inconsistent throughout the experience. Yes, jetboots make you move very fast, but then that speed is cut by everything else in the game. You have bullettime mode which creates the illusion that things are moving really fast, but it's just that, an illusion. Sam's normal movement with and without ironsights is on par with his predecessors in the genre. And like in Gears of War Sam has to stop and pick up EVERYTHING, including extra ammo for guns he's already holding. If I could have jet boots on all the time then maybe it'd be the kinda "fast paced" gameplay I'm expecting. But no, even that's hindered by a gauge.

I think you're confusing "fast" and "fast-paced." It can't ALWAYS be fast just because. It's called resource management. Where's the challenge in BioShock if you have infinite ammo and eve? When you're focused not only on the battle itself but have your mind busy with maintaining ammo and energy as well as going to and healing your buddies in the heat of battle. THAT's when things should feel fast. Gears may do some of these things too, but your concern is defending yourself getting from point A to point B. In Vanquish, you're more concerned with how you do it and how fast you get there. You can lose your energy just as quick as you regain it. When enemies can easily break or circumvent your cover, hiding behind it while you whittle out their numbers shouldn't be your strategy. You HAVE to keep moving, you HAVE to be aware of what's around you, not just what's on the other side of your cover.

I think you're confusing "fast" and "fast-paced." It can't ALWAYS be fast just because. It's called resource management. Where's the challenge in BioShock if you have infinite ammo and eve? When you're focused not only on the battle itself but have your mind busy with maintaining ammo and energy as well as going to and healing your buddies in the heat of battle. THAT's when things should feel fast. Gears may do some of these things too, but your concern is defending yourself getting from point A to point B. In Vanquish, you're more concerned with how you do it and how fast you get there. You can lose your energy just as quick as you regain it. When enemies can easily break or circumvent your cover, hiding behind it while you whittle out their numbers shouldn't be your strategy. You HAVE to keep moving, you HAVE to be aware of what's around you, not just what's on the other side of your cover.

Those things don't necessarily make the game "fast." It's not like I'm not paying attention to my surroundings and planning my next move in other shooters. Not doing that results in me dying. And again all the times I played the demo I could sit in cover for quite a while, and any idiots that actually flank my cover I can usually take care of easily since Sam has quite a bit of health compared to other short-barred shooter characters, and he automatcailly goes into slomo mode should he take too much damage, so it's easy to take out flankers and get back into cover. Reading posts here I tried playing more recklessly, and that resulted in me getting instant killed by the boss. Maybe I just need to play on a harder difficulty, and that's unfortunately another shortcoming of the demo as anything harder than normal isn't available.

Those things don't necessarily make the game "fast." It's not like I'm not paying attention to my surroundings and planning my next move in other shooters. Not doing that results in me dying. And again all the times I played the demo I could sit in cover for quite a while, and any idiots that actually flank my cover I can usually take care of easily since Sam has quite a bit of health compared to other short-barred shooter characters, and he automatcailly goes into slomo mode should he take too much damage, so it's easy to take out flankers and get back into cover. Reading posts here I tried playing more recklessly, and that resulted in me getting instant killed by the boss. Maybe I just need to play on a harder difficulty, and that's unfortunately another shortcoming of the demo as anything harder than normal isn't available.

Climactic encounters are a lot more spread out in games like, say, Halo or CoD. GoW has a bit more, but it's really more about pushing through enemy lines at your own pace than actively jumping around the map. The only game that comes to mind that matches Vanquish's tempo is Left 4 Dead. Even when the enemies are gone, there's always the threat that more will come at any time, so you need to actively search your environment for items and keep together. Just because you aren't moving quickly doesn't mean the game isn't. Though Vanquish can't really match L4D's unpredictability, at least it matches its ravenous feel. But then again L4D is only like that on advanced/experet, so maybe it is an issue of difficulty after all.

Edited by SuperStingray

TGS Trailer

This trailer seems to put Sam on display with the training wheels from the demo knocked off. He is clearly seen not overheating from his melee attacks this time around (and even following one up with a slo-mo move) to say nothing of an extra weapon or two.

I guess that confirms that the guns aren't the only thing out there up for upgrades. The suit itself holds some hidden potentials as well.

Edited by Sega DogTagz

Did you guys think the demo was hard? WELL HERE IS A HARDER ONE

350h.jpg

Capping off a stage show presentation at this year's Tokyo Game Show, Vanquish director Shinji Mikami and producer Atsushi Inaba announced that they will be releasing a second downloadable demo for the fast-paced shooter. Called the "Vanquish Challenge Mode Demo," the idea is that this slice of the game will be more difficult than the first demo, and designed to let hardcore fans see what the game will be like when they get accustomed to its tricks.

Given that this was announced at TGS, the duo didn't say anything specifically about a U.S. release, but such a thing seems like a pretty safe bet. The demo is scheduled for a September 22nd release in Japan.

Edited by Dobkeratops

I had to log in on my phone just now so I could give this second demo the DogTagz stamp of approval. The challange mode better find its way over to my PSN.

I am really interested to see how the scale Sam with the tougher enimies. His base level gives me the same impression as Bayonetta, that is that he will be grossly overpowered, and I thought platinum could use some work scaling up the larger baddies in their last effort. Seer numbers only gets you so far.

For those who forgot, the new demo is up now on the Japanese PSN and Japanese XLBA (Gold). Would be playing now, but I have to update my firmware. <_<

Edited by SykoTech

The laser has some slight tracking. So I ended up dodging too early and got sucked into it anyway.

You didn't just keep dodging? You can do that you know. Just keep rolling.

Pretty easy to dodge literally everything like that.

And because of the over the shoulder view its sometimes hard to see whether or not you're actually clear of the blast or not.

No it's not. It's just as easy as an FPS. And either way all you need to do is be like, ten feet away.

But yeah, I ragequit because the game told me I had to fight the boss again, which has 2 forms, both of which require a ridiculous amount of ammo to beat, when I was on the verge of beating it.

The cannons on the left, right, and middle are really helpful. Grab one, shoot down a limb, then go nuts. You should have it down half-way before it gets back up/you run out of cannon ammo. Repeat and you have the spider form down.

Then the humanoid form takes like a minute and a half to kill and generally all you need is to use cover while your boosters recharge, and the heavy machine gun, and there should be ammo around the whole area.

The whole damn boss is easy as hell. I only died once on it so far, and it was because I made a moron mistake and didn't take cover while I was almost dead.

I only died once on it so far, and it was because I made a moron mistake and didn't take cover while I was almost dead.

Just to note that particular run through I had already used the turrets to take out the drop ships so I was left mostly with normal guns to use. Let's just leave it as another moron mistake.

I thought the first demo was quite easy, but man is the second one something else. I've been playing it like crazy, and can't best the fourth round. Enemies spawn right in front of the weapons on that one. Despite the brutal spanking, I haven't gotten fustrated. Just having a blast.

Not just Play.com, I believe other stores like Game, Gamestop, FNAC, Media Markt and Zavvi are doing that prrromotion. At least around here.

It's hard to believe but I think they actually found a way to make me regret buying Bayonetta day one, sort of.

Bayonetta was actually so good for me that I don't mind having paid for it. Knowing what I know now, I still think I would have brought it back then.

First Review in! 93% from Play UK Magazine.

"When it's in the zone, Vanquish is about as good as action gaming can get. Much more than the 'Gears Of War only faster' many were expecting, it draws upon the best ideas from a wide range of influences and blends them into an eye-bleedingly intense whole. The best game of the month.

After the surprise success of Bayonetta, Sega and PlatinumGames return with a shooter that is in contention for game of the year. Vanquish is a fast, frenetic and, above all else, fun shooter that manages to meld a wealth of established ideas together into something that feels fresh. I think it will certainly surprise a lot of people and is a perfect mix of both Eastern and Western gaming styles."

Edited by Dusk the Wisp Keeper
  • Thumbs Up 1

Awesome! :D I was hoping it would be this good. I hope other reviewers have a good time with it too.

Ohh, I wish the demo was out on the PS3 here >_> I want to play this.

Edited by MarcelloF

Make a fake japanese account in 5 minutes and play the new demo right now. I can confirm it's multilanguage.

I pre-ordered with Bayonetta and I just want to say...I never been so happy in my life.

Edited by turbojet