Awoo.

Vanquish

Sega DogTagz

I think the game wants you to unleash a full machine gun clip into it every time it falls

Shoot, if you time it right and reload all your guns before you give him the last bullet to knock him down, it is possible to repeatedly kick it into slow-mo and drain an entire round of both your machine guns (heavy/normal) and even a few slugs into the core. Switching weapons is always faster than reloading.

I get the idea that a lot of people don't realize you can slomo while boosting, that might lead to some problems for this game. Needs better tutorials.

After reading the comments here, I definitely must be missing something cause I wasn't impressed at all. I played the demo and was like "Yeah... It's Gears of War, with jet boots. Meh..."

I get the idea that a lot of people don't realize you can slomo while boosting, that might lead to some problems for this game. Needs better tutorials.

Eh, it was pretty easy to find out to me. Just shooting while boosting instantly triggered it. I suppose one might not even try it since it doesn't seem like you can aim while moving so fast, but it's nothing a little fooling around wouldn't reveal.

A tutorial highlighting all the opportunites to go slomo in action would be nice though.

Even though the Demo has a tutorial mode, I always consider level 1 the best teacher. Seeing as how this little taste skipped level 1, I would hold my judgment on that call.

This can be yours for Fifty Two pounds!

10243214-1283860894-630000.jpg

It's the Vanquish special edition. It comes with a statue! Urm... I think I might pass

Exclusive to Zavvi only. However... Zavvi sometimes get odd exclusives, like they got the Bioshock 2 Rapture edition which came with a tiny version of the artbook. So there could be some others to come.

I've played through the Demo about 20 times now and I just love how it feels different every time. Sometimes, I just jet through on my boots. Sometimes, I like to run up to some loners and pull off a high-speed melee attack. Sometimes, I like to ride the walkers. Sometimes, I like to use the sniper. (Bonus points when you make a fully zoomed shot while boosting.) Sometimes, I distract them with a cigarette and climb over and shoot 'em down in slow-mo. Platinum really out did themselves this time.

After reading the comments here, I definitely must be missing something cause I wasn't impressed at all. I played the demo and was like "Yeah... It's Gears of War, with jet boots. Meh..."

Frankly, I don't see how it can be compared to Gears. That's like saying Sonic is just Mario with pinball dynamics. If you spend more than five percent of the time behind cover, you're really missing out on the full experience. Hell, Platinum tried to ensure that it doesn't end up like Gears by making the cover breakable and enemies more prone to jump or run around your cover to get to you. And it's not really the jet boots (or kneepads, for that matter) that make the only difference. They're just a part of the bigger picture: accelerating the tempo of standard shooter gameplay.

And did anyone find the boss fight in the demo to remind them of Quadraxis from Metroid Prime 2?

Edited by Hello. Look at my sig.

Frankly, I don't see how it can be compared to Gears. That's like saying Sonic is just Mario with pinball dynamics. If you spend more than five percent of the time behind cover, you're really missing out on the full experience. Hell, Platinum tried to ensure that it doesn't end up like Gears by making the cover breakable and enemies more prone to jump or run around your cover to get to you. And it's not really the jet boots (or kneepads, for that matter) that make the only difference. They're just a part of the bigger picture: accelerating the tempo of standard shooter gameplay.

And did anyone find the boss fight in the demo to remind them of Quadraxis from Metroid Prime 2?

Well I've only played the demo once, and that one time I pretty much played it like Gears, but with jet boots. I never noticed cover breaking, and I probably would have noticed it given how much time I spent behind cover given that I had fallen into a Gears mindset through most of it. And it's not like Gears doesn't have breakable cover either. All the sliding around just basically boiled to letting me move to the next piece of cover faster whilst dodging enemy fire. I'll try the demo again when I get the chance. But my first time through didn't leave a lasting impression. Then again so didn't Bayonetta.

So I've heard you can go into slow mo when jumping over cover (!?) how does that happen?

It works a bit like the evade-to-slow-mo: Hold down the aim button while you're jumping over. It's actually a pretty useful move.

And one thing I will say bothers me in the game is the fact that the melee attack drains all your energy. A full-force combo, I could understand, but it makes no difference whether you give one punch or twenty, which just annoys me.

Edited by Hello. Look at my sig.

Yeah, the melee energy drain annoys me too. It's worth it to note that if your meter is practically empty you can still melee, so it's worth it as a last ditch thing

Well I've only played the demo once, and that one time I pretty much played it like Gears, but with jet boots. I never noticed cover breaking, and I probably would have noticed it given how much time I spent behind cover given that I had fallen into a Gears mindset through most of it. And it's not like Gears doesn't have breakable cover either. All the sliding around just basically boiled to letting me move to the next piece of cover faster whilst dodging enemy fire. I'll try the demo again when I get the chance. But my first time through didn't leave a lasting impression. Then again so didn't Bayonetta.

I typically spend less something like 2% of my time in cover.

So I've heard you can go into slow mo when jumping over cover (!?) how does that happen?

You can activate slow mo while jumping over cover, zoom in with the sniper rifle in mid air and shoot a bot in the head.

I'm assuming that that Russian guy in the previews that looks like a bald Marilyn Manson is named Pangloss- the results screen has an entry titled "Pangloss statues destroyed" and most games don't have you destroy statues unless they're modelled off the antagonist.

You can activate slow mo while jumping over cover, zoom in with the sniper rifle in mid air and shoot a bot in the head.

But like, what buttons do I press?

Well I played the demo a second time, and I like it even less now. I was just about to kill the boss's second form when I somehow got 1-shot killed by his explosion-trailing laser. (I might have taken some damage before that. But all I know was I was dead in a blink of an eye when my screen was clear and not blurred or red.) I ragequitted after that cause I wasn't going to fight the boss again from the beginning.

If there's any good about this game then the demo's not doing a good job showing me it.

So you rage quit 'cause you got hit by an attack that's unbelievably easy to dodge and you can see coming from a mile away?

So you rage quit 'cause you got hit by an attack that's unbelievably easy to dodge and you can see coming from a mile away?

The laser has some slight tracking. So I ended up dodging too early and got sucked into it anyway. And because of the over the shoulder view its sometimes hard to see whether or not you're actually clear of the blast or not.

But yeah, I ragequit because the game told me I had to fight the boss again, which has 2 forms, both of which require a ridiculous amount of ammo to beat, when I was on the verge of beating it.

That tracing beam pretty much kills 1 hit anyway, regardless of how much health you may or may not have. You learn real quick to not get greedy when you see him charging that bad boy up. Just boost to the other side of the field and you be safe, its range is on the lacking side.

Edited by Sega DogTagz

It should be noted the boss can be defeated in less than 3 minutes with some practice, and the chest beam can be seen coming a mile away and leaves you more than enough time to dash under its legs before it's fired. Then you can score quite a few free hits while it's busy lasering the ground.

Dunno, maybe it's not your kind of game :x

I think he means the mini laser, the one that follows you a bit then explodes along the ground. It's still easy to dodge if you keep an eye on the boss.

Edited by Da Goddamn BatGuy

Dunno, maybe it's not your kind of game :x

I'm just sick of shooters in general. The market's way oversaturated and it's becoming a distraction from the shooters that I actually want to play like Halo and Battlefield. So at this point a shooter really has to impress me before I even consider a buy. I don't know if this demo is just not doing the game justice, maybe the rest of the game is better. But I was just not having fun with the demo at all(especially when I get instant killed just when I'm about to kill the boss). Jetboots didn't do anything for me, there's likely not going to be any mulitplayer modes, and this game has QTEs, which I hate more than generic shooters.

If you didn't notice anything special or unique about Vanquish while playing the demo I don't really know what to say.

It seriously doesn't play anything like any other shooter I've played. It's not generic at all. I love the fast pace and style of it.

Edited by Chooch

Vanquish has right now the most amazing trailer on SEGA's TGS stream. It showed lots of boss fights and intense moments including boosting through a half-pipe as robots boosted besides him and eventually going down the side of a building. It showed a few boss fights like this burrowing robot, the red suit Russian guy, and some thing as big as a building which was like a giant yellow spider controlled by electricity. It was all amazing.