Awoo.

Slipping away...

eXtaticus

The regular Sonic levels are no more better than the werehog. They were both bland. The werehog got intresting as soon as you unlocked new comboes and stuff, but other than that, not even Sonic's levels in Unleashed were great.

It was definitely faster than it should be, but it wasn't really THAT bad; there was quite a bit of reaction time and platforming involved.

Edited by SuperStingray

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SuperStingray

• Phos

• ovarloard

• CrownSlayers Shadow

It was definitely faster than it should be, but it wasn't really THAT bad; there was quite a bit of reaction time and platforming involved.

It wasn't THAT bad, but they also weren't THAT great. I'm just not the kind of person who likes to simply bolt through a stage at that speed just for the heck of it. I need something more intense than that.

DC111: Eh, I guess I was just anger prone that night.

It happens. We cool, then? :unsure:

Edited by DC111

Yeah.

So, the Werehog annoyed me, among other reasons, because they followed the letter of the desire to make a game where you only play as Sonic with no regard to it's intent.

Yeah.

So, the Werehog annoyed me, among other reasons, because they followed the letter of the desire to make a game where you only play as Sonic with no regard to it's intent.

Mm. The Werehog was a poor attempt to reel in new fans. Sonic Team needs to cut this out. If a game is good on its own, then word of mouth will bring new fans in on its own merit, without the need of a new fangled gimmick.

The werehog wasn't made to reel in new fans, it was made to make the game play longer than it would have been.

The werehog wasn't made to reel in new fans, it was made to make the game play longer than it would have been.
Actually, I specifically remember Yoshihisa Hashimoto saying that they made the werehog to appeal to people who have never played a sonic.

I agree with Ryan. They shouldn't have went with that kind of thinking. Take Resident Evil 4 for example. I've never played a resident evil, nor did I ever imagine myself trying one out. But all the hype, praise, and talk of innovation for the third person shooter genre got me interested. I played it, and I was astounded.

They need to stick with producing cutting edge material for sonic. Gameplay and physics that aren't cheap and dated. When someone reads about a game they've never played or heard of, in game magazines, and the critics talk about how this game has a unique graphic style, and fun, dynamic gameplay, that someone will likely get interested in the game, whether it be the game's art style attracting them, or everything they read about.

What the critics say about a new sonic game does in fact have an effect on whether new fans will be reeled in. What they say won't have any effect on current fans, but it definetly will on "future" fans. Not that it matters, since sonic sells very well, ranging from 1-2 million with each game, but I'm just saying it would be nice if more fans would get to experience the franchise.

Edited by lounge

No, that's just why they chose the Werehog as their game lengthening method of choice. Sonic Unleashed would be less than an hour long without the Werehog.

And that's the problem, they need to get the new games' physics closer to the old games'. 2D though they are, they're still more complex than I've seen out of the newer games. Sonic Unleashed came close in some ways, but was severely lacking in others.

Edited by Phos

And that's the problem, they need to get the new games' physics closer to the old games'. 2D though they are, they're still more complex than I've seen out of the newer games. Sonic Unleashed came close in some ways, but was severely lacking in others.
In terms of physics, I think SA2 had the most complexity. The grinding was realistic, player control was spot on, animations were varied, and it was fun to test the physics in the environments. But honestly, that game came out in 01'. It's been 8 years, so I agree, they need to seriously step it up.

In terms of physics, I think SA2 had the most complexity. The grinding was realistic, player control was spot on, animations were varied, and it was fun to test the physics in the environments. But honestly, that game came out in 01'. It's been 8 years, so I agree, they need to seriously step it up.

The main problem was that they tossed whatever engine they were using then and began using that floaty mess that Heroes introduced. The Hedgehog engine at least fixes the problems that using Renderware made happen.

Edited by Tornado

No, that's just why they chose the Werehog as their game lengthening method of choice. Sonic Unleashed would be less than an hour long without the Werehog.

And still play just as bland...

I'm sorry, but when it comes even to Unleashed's daytime stages, and as much as I hate the classicist notion of the series, I have to admit that they come nowhere near as close to the complexity and replay value of the Classics.

The stage design of the classics ensure much replay value in regards to having you search every nook and crany of the st age for treasures and secrets. Sonic Unleashed blew that away in favor of having you simply run through the stage as fast as you can, with very little exploration in the daytime stages and very little treasures and secrets to make anyone even want to bother looking for them aside from the CDs and Video Tapes scattered throughout the game.

Unleashed is a fun game for what it is, but it's magic dies as soon as you beat the game, as it doesn't have much of anything else to offer you. For any Sonic game to keep you hooked on the game, it has to keep offering and offering other contents and challenges to make you feel that you never want to put down the controller even after you beat the game.

Sonic 3 & Knuckles offers only one extra content, Super Sonic. But it has a variety of challenges in the special stages to test you in how well you do in order to get the emeralds to become Super. That's one big achievement that keeps people playing the game.

Actually, I specifically remember Yoshihisa Hashimoto saying that they made the werehog to appeal to people who have never played a sonic.

What kind of justification is that? If you want to attract people to the Sonic series, then why not just give them SONIC?

But I don't think the Werehog was really made to lengthen gameplay. If we had the exact same game and were able to skip the Werehog, we'd have about 2 or 3 hours of gameplay. But if they never actually made the Werehog, they'd just focus all time and resources on Sonic; it'd be at least 5 hours then.

It's not technically a full game. It can be downloaded as one, but it was originally released as part of a collection.

The regular Sonic levels are no more better than the werehog. They were both bland. The werehog got intresting as soon as you unlocked new comboes and stuff, but other than that, not even Sonic's levels in Unleashed were great.

I mean seriously, there's no fucking point in just blasting through a stage at 300mph. Absolutely none.

Hold up, wait a minute, let me put some fandom in it...

Bud, don't try to speak for what "we" the fanbase wants, you can't. This fandom is so damn divided, even the basic wants are conflicting.

There are some things the fanbase can agree on, but even the things that "we" don't want a lot of us end up enjoying.

Well, I was just stating one of my observations through the years of interacting with Sonic fans, whether on here or otherwise.

And yeah, the SU levels overall, sucked--I was talking about the one or two that I did like, like the eggmanland level and the first couple. Between those is just bullshit.

Well, I was just stating one of my observations through the years of interacting with Sonic fans, whether on here or otherwise.

And yeah, the SU levels overall, sucked--I was talking about the one or two that I did like, like the eggmanland level and the first couple. Between those is just bullshit.

I hope you're not trying to again pass off your opinions as fact.

I loved Black Knight, and Unleashed's daytime stages.

And I'm a Sonic fan, am I not?

I've interacted with fans for quite some time myself, no matter where you go you can't speak for anyone but yourself. You can represent something, but you can't speak fully of the wants of the fanbase, you just can't.

I don't think any of the SU levels sucked. They were just lacking.

Werehog gave us a mark into combat for the series, but over time it becomes a chore.

The Daytime Sonic stages gave us the ability to go at high speeds with controlling few franchises can match, but as you keep playing, you realize that all you're doing is just running.

It isn't bad, but not that good to me.

I've interacted with fans for quite some time myself, no matter where you go you can't speak for anyone but yourself. You can represent something, but you can't speak fully of the wants of the fanbase, you just can't.

I can describe the fanbase, and in one word no less: Paradox. The Sonic fanbase is the only fanbase I know that would be able to form an angry mob against the creators of the series and end up killing each other instead.

Edited by SuperStingray

I can describe the fanbase, and in one word no less: Paradox. The Sonic fanbase is the only fanbase I know that would be able to form an angry mob against the creators of the series and end up killing each other instead as well.

Fixed.

I hope you're not trying to again pass off your opinions as fact.

I loved Black Knight, and Unleashed's daytime stages.

And I'm a Sonic fan, am I not?

You'd be a fan even if you didn't.

As far as I'm concerned, there is no such thing as a "true" Sonic fan. Those who consider themselves as such need to be beaten to a bloody pulp with a Genesis.

As far as I'm concerned, there is no such thing as a "true" Sonic fan. Those who consider themselves as such need to be beaten to a bloody pulp with a Genesis.

If there's room left in your sig, you should squeeze that in there.

If there's room left in your sig, you should squeeze that in there.

I don't want to draw any more attention to myself than necessary. You're more than welcome to use that in yours, however. ^_^

I think that the games can become 100% crap and I won't care, XD I think that people are being a bit harsh to the newer games. I really loved Unleashed....

But if they could make a game as good as SA and SA2 I'd be uber happies.

CHAO COULD SAVE THE SERIES D: