Awoo.

SEGA Launches New 'Fearless Year of Shadow' Marketing Campaign

Dreadknux

2 hours ago, Scritch the Cat said:

Saccharine corporate motivational blurbs annoy me, but to get deeper, I feel "Be Yourself" is very overrated advice in media.  I would prefer our culture made people more conscious of their flaws and inspired them to improve themselves, as well as considering that sometimes, the "haters" have a point.

Yes, without wishing to derail the thread (more), "be yourself" tends to stop applying when "yourself" is actually really awful.  But that's a subtlety I wouldn't really expect a Shadow the Hedgehog ad campaign to touch on.  Or most media, really.

• Thumbs Up 1

52 minutes ago, Salamander said:

Yes, without wishing to derail the thread (more), "be yourself" tends to stop applying when "yourself" is actually really awful.  But that's a subtlety I wouldn't really expect a Shadow the Hedgehog ad campaign to touch on.  Or most media, really.

It should have been self-evident that Shadow in particular does not work for that message, at least if they keep that self-titled game as a part of his identity.  Even if they choose to downplay everything problematic about it, with enough water pressure behind the floodgate, the water will flow through quickly anyway even if it only opens a tiny crack, and in this case, there's an embarrassing amount of water pressure.

Shadow the Hedgehog was made to capitalize on many of the trends people associated with the Grand Theft Auto series, and as such, there's definitely a "Be yourself" message in there, but it's one that keeps applying even when "yourself" is actually really awful, and given the era and crowd it was marketing to, it might as well have been especially then.  Back then, it was gamer shorthand to measure how groundbreakingly liberal a game's structure was based on how awful it allowed you to be.  Of course, that was a lazy way to view things, and perhaps culture deserved to have it debunked by a game where you could assassinate your president and commit genocide being blatantly arbitrary and raildroaded at almost every turn.  But for whatever it is worth, it is on their permanent record.

The game did not make me hate Shadow, and I've been willing to accept that SEGA has erred on the side of caution and not erased it from canon.  But I will not just let them invite people to remember it while clumsily pretending that its thelemic pitch was something wholesome, and anyone they convince to check out the game via this new campaign will quickly see that it is not.  The emperor who chooses to go outside without clothes deserves to be called out for that.

Edited by Scritch the Cat
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, Kuzu said:

Its generic to me, because I recognize I am not the target demographic of who its directed towards. 

Obviously we are not the target of the series anymore, I feel old, but I appreciate the series is finding its foot nowadays with a new generation of fans, honestly, it's very nice to see! Sonic is pretty much for kids only in my country today, but it's okay, I was that kid too once. Although I still enjoy most Sonic media today as well, I won't lie, except Prime, but oh well.

Shadow is in fact aimed at teenagers, this campaign is pretty decent, I read the description in the website, the adjectives for Shadow are so cool, so I hope they take those in mind when writing Shadow in future games and media. It's about time we get good Shadow writing!

• Thumbs Up 2

27 minutes ago, Red Hot Jack said:

Obviously we are not the target of the series anymore, I feel old, but I appreciate the series is finding its foot nowadays with a new generation of fans, honestly, it's very nice to see! Sonic is pretty much for kids only in my country today, but it's okay, I was that kid too once. Although I still enjoy most Sonic media today as well, I won't lie, except Prime, but oh well.

Shadow is in fact aimed at teenagers, this campaign is pretty decent, I read the description in the website, the adjectives for Shadow are so cool, so I hope they take those in mind when writing Shadow in future games and media. It's about time we get good Shadow writing!

There was a time when they liked to claim Sonic was aimed at teenagers, too, even if they tried to make him safe for children at the same time.

For all I know, many teenagers do relate to Shadow, but I'm not sure why any adults would want them to.  I guess it depends what you consider the true Shadow to be, but the problem is that up until now it seems like SEGA didn't consider him to be admirable.  It was easier to accept them dedicating 2023 to celebrating Amy Rose, because while they hadn't necessarily fleshed her out or solidified a new role, they had at least spent over a decade distancing themselves from her uncomfortable baggage as a crazed stalker, and when you tone that bit down you're left with a kindhearted character who's known for trying to make nice even with enemies, and sometimes actually succeeding at making them turn over a new leaf.  It's easy to portray Amy as wholesome.  But Shadow for most of recent history has still tended to get portrayed as the grouch who doesn't have friends and wants to show up Sonic simply for the sake of doing so.

So come to think of it, I think it might have made more sense for them to wait a year.  The second Sonic movie was widely hailed for restoring Knuckles' dignity after the game series had made him, too, into little more than a joke, so maybe they should have let the third movie do the same with Shadow, and then give him a year-long celebration that coincided with new game appearances that reflected a movie a bit more.

3 hours ago, Red Hot Jack said:

Just want to say, as I said before, Shadow is relatable. Heck! Even I can relate to Shadow for being strong, independent and a loner. That does not mean he is my number one favorite character, but still…

My point is that even if you do not like Shadow or if you are outside the age range or not aimed at, you do not have to be a teenager to be a Shadow fan or enjoy Shadow.

Same goes with enjoying the Sonic series itself, but you probably knew that.

• Thumbs Up 2

11 minutes ago, Shiny Gems said:

Just want to say, as I said before, Shadow is relatable. Heck! Even I can relate to Shadow for being strong, independent and a loner. That does not mean he is my number one favorite character, but still…

My point is that even if you do not like Shadow or if you are outside the age range or not aimed at, you do not have to be a teenager to be a Shadow fan or enjoy Shadow.

Same goes with enjoying the Sonic series itself, but you probably knew that.

They're for everyone! 

big no thanks tbh... they're just gonna bastardize his characterization as per usual 

4 hours ago, Scritch the Cat said:

So come to think of it, I think it might have made more sense for them to wait a year.  The second Sonic movie was widely hailed for restoring Knuckles' dignity after the game series had made him, too, into little more than a joke, so maybe they should have let the third movie do the same with Shadow, and then give him a year-long celebration that coincided with new game appearances that reflected a movie a bit more.

Shadow Gens should have been out later considering people should get to know Shadow and his story in the movie first since it's an adaptation of his debut title. But I guess they want the whole year dedicated to him for cross promotion. Older fans will already know Shadow's story when playing the new game, while anyone who discovers Shadow with the third movie will buy the game later anyway.

Also, from the Steam description, it seems Sonic x Shadow Generations will also serve as an introduction for people to Shadow, who hasn't been used in a major way for a while, along with the movie.

8 hours ago, Scritch the Cat said:

Saccharine corporate motivational blurbs annoy me, but to get deeper, I feel "Be Yourself" is very overrated advice in media.  I would prefer our culture made people more conscious of their flaws and inspired them to improve themselves, as well as considering that sometimes, the "haters" have a point.

And that last bit might be a big part of why it seems so odd they're using Shadow for this.  Because he has a substantial hatedom, there are some very clear and sensible reasons people hate him, and depending on the game, it feels like up until recently SEGA was in on that gangbang, too.

This sounds like a personal problem for you and not the actual campaign message then.

Anyway, I wish to say, just because a message like the one on the site may be or seem generic does not mean it has no merit. Not that any of you said it did not, but if you were ever in a pickle or in a situation that may be bad, this message can apply, and can help you get through the toughest of trials.

You may not think so, or you may not think you need it, but truth is, you never know when you might need to go by something like the site’s message.

• Fist Bump 2

2 minutes ago, Shiny Gems said:

You may not think so, or you may not think you need it, but truth is, you never know when you might need to go by something like the site’s message.

oh, i know so. i can use that everyday honestly.

• Fist Bump 1

9 hours ago, Scritch the Cat said:

That is a very valid point, but there is a definite line between pointing out somebody's negative traits (i.e. constructive criticism) and actively despising them for them (the literal definition of "haters;" not all so-called "haters" go this far but enough do that it's a trope). And to be honest, more people need to be made aware of this line, because no one is going to convince anyone to change by being vicious about it.

But I'm getting dangerously close to derailing the topic here.

(notices page three for the first time)

...okay, that ship has already sailed, I see.

Edited by Lorekitten
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

You know, all this "Be Fearless" Stuff reminds me of a Sonic Quote I remember: "Never Fear The Fall". i think it mean that when you take a fall, like embarrassing yourself, of a huge task that you know you're gonna choke up, you shouldn't worry about it. matter of fact, I think Sonic's whole THING is "Dont feel embarrassed" and "Never Worry" (Sonic 06 comes to mind). you have worries, you have friends. that's another thing sonic team upholds: Having good friends. in my experiences, I've been in bad friend groups just not to get picked on, but I shouldn't be embarrassed that I know things better than others, how I do things, how I feel and my thoughts. Sure, the "Be Yourself" ad campaign has been milked to SHREADS, but they never had done it like SEGA, and I'm happy that SEGA does what most people don't: their own thing. Ever since they started, they only did what they wanted. they didn't follow trends, they Blazed their own path. I feel like Sonic, and now shadow, reflects what SEGA is PERFECTLY, and I never had this much Self-Confidence in Nintendo, ever. I'm glad that SEGA has a place in my heart.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 2

1 minute ago, Cyb3rkn1ght said:

You know, all this "Be Fearless" Stuff reminds me of a Sonic Quote I remember: "Never Fear The Fall". i think it mean that when you take a fall, like embarrassing yourself, of a huge task that you know you're gonna choke up, you shouldn't worry about it. matter of fact, I think Sonic's whole THING is "Dont feel embarrassed" and "Never Worry" (Sonic 06 comes to mind). you have worries, you have friends. that's another thing sonic team upholds: Having good friends. in my experiences, I've been in bad friend groups just not to get picked on, but I shouldn't be embarrassed that I know things better than others, how I do things, how I feel and my thoughts. Sure, the "Be Yourself" ad campaign has been milked to SHREADS, but they never had done it like SEGA, and I'm happy that SEGA does what most people don't: their own thing. Ever since they started, they only did what they wanted. they didn't follow trends, they Blazed their own path. I feel like Sonic, and now shadow, reflects what SEGA is PERFECTLY, and I never had this much Self-Confidence in Nintendo, ever. I'm glad that SEGA has a place in my heart.

They MAY follow Mario but they're blazing a trail no other game company ever could. Respect.

• Fist Bump 2

2 minutes ago, Maple Syrup said:

they're blazing a trail no other game company ever could.

MAN sega needs WAY more respect than they get. sure they fell face-first in the console Department (Which honestly, I think would sell nowadays if they ported all their games to it) but after that, it was going well, but all behind-the-scenes because of certain choices. really, I salute SEGA. respect is theirs.

• Fist Bump 2

7 hours ago, Scritch the Cat said:

It should have been self-evident that Shadow in particular does not work for that message, at least if they keep that self-titled game as a part of his identity.  Even if they choose to downplay everything problematic about it, with enough water pressure behind the floodgate, the water will flow through quickly anyway even if it only opens a tiny crack, and in this case, there's an embarrassing amount of water pressure.

As questionable as some of the decisions are around that game, to be fair, it is a game where everyone is trying to team Shadow who he is meant to be, and finally ending with him deciding for himself who he is going to be. 

• Thumbs Up 2

6 hours ago, Zadent said:

As questionable as some of the decisions are around that game, to be fair, it is a game where everyone is trying to team Shadow who he is meant to be, and finally ending with him deciding for himself who he is going to be. 

That's a fair point, and as much as it pains me to say, there are times I think Shadow's story arc from the end of SA2 to the end of S06 is actually a better one overall than his arc in SA2. 

SA2 was probably a new level of depth for this series at the time, but Shadow's moral complexity there boiled down to being a decent guy who had been brainwashed into being evil, and his character development boiled down to having a few experiences that made him snap out of it and remember the truth.  That just feels cheap, and so I hope the movie doesn't just copy it beat-for-beat.  Also despite his apparent depth, Shadow essentially had a one-track mind throughout SA2, even if it changed which track.  Almost his whole life was based on past trauma, most of it was spent imprisoned, and it feels like he didn't even want to live at the end of SA2, which makes his grand gesture of dying to save the world feel a bit less grand, that and I don't really like the "Death Equals Redemption" trope much anymore.

Shadow's arc from then until 06 was mostly about validating his own existence, most evidently SH since it ended with his teammates questioning if he was the real Shadow but also loving him regardless.  His self-titled game was full of cringe but I allow that it ended his story on a positive note, and his quest in 06 was probably the highlight of that game's plot by a wide margin.

But the problem, again, is that since then, most of what was positive about Shadow's post-SA2 lore was ignored, while the negative stuff became the target of self-parody, and that self-parody Shadow's main portrayal, because the series decided that pretty much its entire cast, even Sonic himself, was only worthy of being laughed at, not respected or admired.  We've been out of the meta era for a few years, but Shadow's reputation has never really been restored since then.  If SEGA wants people to see Shadow as an admirable and inspirational figure and wants people to accept that his game contributed some positive lore to his identity, then I think at the very least they should have dropped the "Team Dark aren't friends" bullshit they started in the meta era.  Team Dark being friends was practically Shadow's most important plot point from SH to 06.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/11/2024 at 4:19 AM, Scritch the Cat said:

I assume the implication in the new SxS Generations content will be that the canon ending of Shadow's game is that he did a neutral/hero -> true ending run. We've seen mentions of the president in media made for Japan's Sonic Channel site since 2005, so clearly he wasn't canonically assassinated by Shadow during the Black Arms invasion.

Shadow as he is in the other games + his 2005 game's true ending does work well enough as an inspirational and aspirational figure, IMO.

• Thumbs Up 2

wow looks like this campaign explains sonic 3 and sonic x shadow generations. They're really going all out.

• Fist Bump 1