Awoo.

SEGA Launches New 'Fearless Year of Shadow' Marketing Campaign

Dreadknux

Dreadknux
This post was recognized by Dreadknux!

Dreadknux was awarded the badge 'Sonic News Tipster' and 50 points.

SEGA has launched a brand new fan celebration campaign in honour of Shadow the Hedgehog, aimed at "celebrating what it means to be Fearless, and embracing your inner Shadow." It's called, appropriately enough, Fearless Year of Shadow.

The official Sonic channel released the following trailer to mark the occasion, with the phrase, "You control your own path. Stay fearless!"

Here's the key art and logo for the event, courtesy of SEGA:

SONIC_2024Campaign_KeyArt_CMYK_FINAL.jpg

SEGA_FearlessYOS_Logo.png

The official website states that this is part of a series of annual campaigns that began with 2023's "Fast. Friends. Forever." event. If you visit the official page, you'll find some cool new artwork, some information on Shadow-related products (such as the LEGO set and the upcoming Sonic x Shadow Generations) and news of a real life motorbike!

Screenshot 2024-04-09 at 17.26.55.png

The above custom Shadow-inspired bike, called the Dark Rider, will go on tour this year, starting with the MotoGP Red Bull Grand Prix of the Americas  in Austin, TX from April 12-14. You can learn more about that on the official Fearless Year of Shadow website here.

Well. We certainly didn't have "Shadow being an inspirational figure for teenagers" on our 2024 bingo card. Let us know what you think of all of this in the comments section below.

Sonic News Tips Credit:
Shiny Gems
Original Post Content:
Kind of like what Nintendo did with the year of Luigi, only with Sega and Shadow. This should be interesting. I wonder if there is more Shadow stuff to come this year aside from the Sonic Generations stiff and the third Sonic movie?

View full story

Edited by Dreadknux
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1

Oh yeah😎!

• Thumbs Up 1

For me it brings me to a "Page not found" screen :(

2 minutes ago, Cyb3rkn1ght said:

For me it brings me to a "Page not found" screen :(

Hmmm…

It works for me.

It honestly did not work for me before I posted this topic.

Edited by Shiny Gems

Just now, Shiny Gems said:

It works for me.

its probably because im on a school computer-

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks for the heads up on this, @Shiny Gems! :)

The website's up now, it wasn't working before... but hey, cool new render!

2024-shadowfearless.png

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1

3 minutes ago, Dreadknux said:

2024-shadowfearless.png

No problem!

And of course! That render does look sweet! I like how he is using his jet shoes!

EDIT: This was apparently posted.

Edited by Shiny Gems
  • Nice Smile 1

3 minutes ago, Shiny Gems said:

That render does look sweet! I like how he is using his jet shoes!

it works now! (Also, new PFP, don't mind if I do-)

We just got official key art and logo renders from SEGA PR, I've added them to the original/story post!

WOOHOO!!! HAPPY ULTIMATE LIFE FORM YEAR!!!:char_shadow:

• Thumbs Up 2

I love that render!

• Thumbs Up 1

That campaign looks so cool. 

13 minutes ago, Dreadknux said:

2024-shadowfearless.png

Good thing I still save the Shadow render without the background. Yes, I actually did that btw.

shadow-about.png

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Promotion 2

I HAVE TO SEE SHADOW'S BIKE. The trailer is actually my life story from the last 2 years. If only Shadow were there to tell me...

Edited by Maple Syrup
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Chuckle 1
  • Fist Bump 1

Is that the closest Shadow has ever come to a smile? Lol

Of course the real question here is, if this is the Year of Shadow, will it also be the year that Sega actually gets his characterization right? Because from what I've heard, Sonic Prime was at least a step in the right direction, but I know that a lot of fans are still pissed about his IDW characterization, and if there's gonna be a heavy emphasis on the character this year, the fans are gonna wanna see him done right.

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Fist Bump 3

Just now, castell-neath said:

Is that the closest Shadow has ever come to a smile? Lol

I was thinking the exact same thing!

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, with this happening, I would like to post something that may fit the occasion.

I know this music is from a non-Sonic game, but it was used in a Sonic fan hack and this was playing through my head when the year of Shadow was revealed. I think it fits this occasion.

You know, I think one of the things that makes Shadow likable is how relatable he is, not that other Sonic characters aren't so relatable, but if being a character with a dark backstory wasn't enough, he does seem strong, and he kind of goes through things that plenty of people in real life may go through, and that said, he has gone through  a lot. I think Shadow is a very relatable character.

The thing is, aside from the other reasons as to why, I think that one reason people don't like Shadow is because of how relatable and strong he is. I mean, there are many people who put down others and try to bash, criticize or otherwise pick on other people, and there are plenty of people in this world who do that. In fact, some people may not want others to get stronger so that they can control those people for the sake of power. I think that this might be one of the reasons (not THE reason, but a reason) as to why others don't like Shadow because of how he inspires others or is relatable. Shadow's strength, what he has been through, being independent and other things, along with perhaps other things like any bad characterization and other flaws Shadow may or may have had of course, might be, to me, why there are those who don't like him. Sure, this may be more of a theory, but still...

Anyway, Shadow is not just about edginess. Like what @SupahBerrysaid, and what @Maple Syrupsaid in a status update, there are reasons why Shadow is a strong, independent and most of all, relatable character. I also think that given how the world is today and how many people go through difficult times, and other things, I could be wrong, but it makes sense why most people in today's world could like Shadow. I think Shadow is that inspiring.

• Fist Bump 5

7 minutes ago, Shiny Gems said:

You know, I think one of the things that makes Shadow likable is how relatable he is, not that other Sonic characters aren't so relatable, but if being a character with a dark backstory wasn't enough, he does seem strong, and he kind of goes through things that plenty of people in real life may go through, and that said, he has gone through  a lot. I think Shadow is a very relatable character.

The thing is, aside from the other reasons as to why, I think that one reason people don't like Shadow is because of how relatable and strong he is. I mean, there are many people who put down others and try to bash, criticize or otherwise pick on other people, and there are plenty of people in this world who do that. In fact, some people may not want others to get stronger so that they can control those people for the sake of power. I think that this might be one of the reasons (not THE reason, but a reason) as to why others don't like Shadow because of how he inspires others or is relatable. Shadow's strength, what he has been through, being independent and other things, along with perhaps other things like any bad characterization and other flaws Shadow may or may have had of course, might be, to me, why there are those who don't like him. Sure, this may be more of a theory, but still...

Anyway, Shadow is not just about edginess. Like what @SupahBerrysaid, and what @Maple Syrupsaid in a status update, there are reasons why Shadow is a strong, independent and most of all, relatable character. I also think that given how the world is today and how many people go through difficult times, and other things, I could be wrong, but it makes sense why most people in today's world could like Shadow. I think Shadow is that inspiring.

Yes, If you dive deeper into Shadow's character, you'll find out that he is really relatable, possibly more relatable than Tails! Even though he is a guy rides around on a motorcycle and wields a gun, doesn't mean that he is a bad influence or guy. You know what Maria said, a Shadow shows the way to a light because where there's a light, there is a Shadow. Your power comes from inside of YOU. Not anyone else. You control your life.

Edited by Maple Syrup
  • Nice Smile 2

Just now, Maple Syrup said:

Yes, If you dive deeper into Shadow's character, you'll find out that he is really relatable, possibly more relatable than Tails! Even though he is a guy rides around on a motorcycle and wields a gun, doesn't mean that he is a bad influence or guy. You know what Maria said, a Shadow shows the way to a light because where there's a light, there is a Shadow.

Of course!

That said, I am not sure about how many Shadow the Hedgehog haters realize how relatable Shadow is, and why that is a good thing.

• Fist Bump 2

This is actually really cool I think. It's a step towards the Shadow we all loved in SA2, rather than the edgy mischaracterised version we got throughout the 2010s. I really hope it's a sign he'll be written more like his true self in future games.

(Also, that trailer took me right back to being young in the 00s!)

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

FINALLY WE ARE GETTING GOOD LOOKING 3D RENDERS!! this looks really good I genuinely thought it was fanmade or stylized 2d for a moment. REALLY happy theyre getting more creative and exciting with the 3d renders.

• Thumbs Up 2