Awoo.

Eggman the Dad: What do you think of Sonic Frontiers' latest developments for Sonic's arch-nemesis?

Dr. Mechano

3 hours ago, Maria.Sosori said:

However, my current stance on that could be coming from the fact that I've been looking at older sonic media (Such as SATAM) where he was more heartless. 

True, but one need only look at SatAM's sister-series, AoStH - where Robotnik fell in love multiple times over the course of the series, stopped one of his own evil plans to save his beloved childhood pet, and even created his own robotic son (who ended up betraying him, but Robotnik was awfully proud of him before then) - to see official interpretations of the character even from the early 90s who had a bit of a softer side.

For what it's worth, I think game Eggman is neither as grim as SatAM Robotnik nor as silly as AoStH Robotnik. He's a nice happy-medium between those two extremes, and I think his personally's well-suited enough to a fatherly role without it undermining his villainy. I'd totally agree that for SatAM Robotnik it would feel weird and out of place (especially considering how unabashedly cruel he is to his own nephew, Snively, showing that that particular iteration of the character doesn't really care about family).

18 hours ago, Dr. Mechano said:

True, but one need only look at SatAM's sister-series, AoStH - where Robotnik fell in love multiple times over the course of the series, stopped one of his own evil plans to save his beloved childhood pet, and even created his own robotic son (who ended up betraying him, but Robotnik was awfully proud of him before then) - to see official interpretations of the character even from the early 90s who had a bit of a softer side.

For what it's worth, I think game Eggman is neither as grim as SatAM Robotnik nor as silly as AoStH Robotnik. He's a nice happy-medium between those two extremes, and I think his personally's well-suited enough to a fatherly role without it undermining his villainy. I'd totally agree that for SatAM Robotnik it would feel weird and out of place (especially considering how unabashedly cruel he is to his own nephew, Snively, showing that that particular iteration of the character doesn't really care about family).

I haven't watched that far into AOSTH (considering how many episodes there are, 18 of them isn't that much). He was quite silly, and I did enjoy it, but I pretty much forgot the plot of the episodes I've watched, because it's been a while. I've been watching SATAM recently, so that is my recent perception of him.

Game Eggman is a nice balance. Like I've said before, I don't want him to break *out* of that balance. However, considering that balance, it'd be harder to do. I don't think he'd break that balance unless he went too far with it. It's pretty much just a (endle--) *distant* possibility.

AOSTH and SATAM Robotnik are two extremes; AOSTH Robotnik is very goofy, whereas SATAM Robotnik is... actually kind of chilling, especially with the way he speaks. Game Eggman is both of them but meshed together in a way that works.

Edited by Strickerx5
edit for user

Game Eggman would scare the absolute shit out of SatAM and AoStH Eggman combined. If we're including the Metal Virus from IDW, even they would be shocked at that creation--especially since it's supposed to be the Roboticizer 2.0 from Archie. Like SatAM Eggman would have his jaw on the floor if he heard of something like that!

As long as Ian Flynn (Assuming he remains the writer of the games) does a bit more for their relationship then "Eggman: Go do this, Sage. Sage: Sure Father.", then I think we're in good hands. I was pretty sold on the relationship established in Frontiers, I just found when it came to the usual "bad guy tells minion to take down hero" interactions between them, thats where it felt really flat for me.

On 10/23/2023 at 6:19 PM, CrownSlayer’s Shadow said:

Game Eggman would scare the absolute shit out of SatAM and AoStH Eggman combined. If we're including the Metal Virus from IDW, even they would be shocked at that creation--especially since it's supposed to be the Roboticizer 2.0 from Archie. Like SatAM Eggman would have his jaw on the floor if he heard of something like that!

There is also the fact that both Robotniks want to take over the world. They cannot do that if that virus messes things up. 

I like Sage, and I think that it could potentially give Eggman something absolute to fight for. He might put more effort into his plans to build what he believes is a better future for his daughter.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, an idiot said:

I like Sage, and I think that it could potentially give Eggman something absolute to fight for. He might put more effort into his plans to build what he believes is a better future for his daughter.

The Eggman Empire also has an heir now. Even if Eggman were to win and rule the world, he's only human and can't live forever.

Handing the throne to his daughter could ensure his empire would last for generations.