Awoo.

Sonic Frontiers Trailer

Wraith

1 hour ago, shdowhunt60 said:

The only bit of reassurance is the fact that they're having Ian Flynn write for the story... Which is cool, but ostensibly we're going to be dealing with a non-linear narrative and that's not something he's had to deal with before.

Honestly before any story I just want decent character writing again. I want the dialogue to be charming, fun, witty, and earnest and finally get us out of the juvenile ham fisted garbo we've been stuck with for years 

8 minutes ago, shdowhunt60 said:

I mean, at the end of the day we still have so little to go off of that we have no idea how Breath of the Hedgehog is supposed to play out.

I mean, for me personally, the fact that they're aping Zelda's aesthetic so heavily right down to the discordant choir melody backed by piano and synths doesn't sit well for me. It's just trying WAY too hard to come off as Breath of the Wild.

The only bit of reassurance is the fact that they're having Ian Flynn write for the story... Which is cool, but ostensibly we're going to be dealing with a non-linear narrative and that's not something he's had to deal with before.

Games have been telling fleshed out, linear stories within expansive, open-ended environments for decades lol. It's hard to tell right now how much of a focus the story is. But regardless I wouldn’t worry about it being forced to be non-linear.

3 minutes ago, shdowhunt60 said:

I mean, at the end of the day we still have so little to go off of that we have no idea how Breath of the Hedgehog is supposed to play out.

I mean, for me personally, the fact that they're aping Zelda's aesthetic so heavily right down to the discordant choir melody backed by piano and synths doesn't sit well for me. It's just trying WAY too hard to come off as Breath of the Wild.

I mean, I'm assuming there is a main narrative that is already laid out. Of course, given the Open world nature of the game, I can see different scenarios playing in the game that are either directly tied to the plot or simple side quests that involve helping NPC's or unlocking additional powers that you would get during exploration. 

The central element of the landscape in the trailer is very strange : it looks like a stone throne... is it the throne of a giant (maybe the king of the giant who attacks Sonic in the end)?!...

14 minutes ago, SSF1991 said:

Fans wanted a new direction in writing, preferably Ian Flynn to be the writer. SEGA did that.

Fans wanted SEGA to take the series' gameplay into a different direction. SEGA did that.

Fans wanted Sonic games to become ambitious again, like the Unleashed days. So far, it's looking like SEGA did that too, though we'll need to see some gameplay to know for sure.

I understand the hesitance in giving the game any optimism, but there's a reason no one has completely written off the game either. It's not "hopeless naivety" when there's actually things SEGA has done that people wanted for years. There's a completely understandable reason to be pessimistic, optimistic, or even neutral about this game based on what we know right now, and I don't think anyone's in the wrong for that.

The amount of debate happening here over a reused character model though...that makes no sense to me.

It just feels like if people find literally one minor thing that related to a game they hate, it automatically ruins the game for them even though Re-using assets is common in game development. 

14 minutes ago, SSF1991 said:

Fans wanted a new direction in writing, preferably Ian Flynn to be the writer. SEGA did that.

Fans wanted SEGA to take the series' gameplay into a different direction. SEGA did that.

Fans wanted Sonic games to become ambitious again, like the Unleashed days. So far, it's looking like SEGA did that too, though we'll need to see some gameplay to know for sure.

I understand the hesitance in giving the game any optimism, but there's a reason no one has completely written off the game either. It's not "hopeless naivety" when there's actually things SEGA has done that people wanted for years. There's a completely understandable reason to be pessimistic, optimistic, or even neutral about this game based on what we know right now, and I don't think anyone's in the wrong for that.

The amount of debate happening here over a reused character model though...that makes no sense to me.

It just feels like if people find literally one minor thing that related to a game they hate, it automatically ruins the game for them even though Re-using assets is common in game development. 

17 minutes ago, SSF1991 said:

EDIT: GAAAAAH! I had no indication my post posted, so I wound up posting it three times not knowing it went through.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Graystripe2000 said:

EDIT: GAAAAAH! I had no indication my post posted, so I wound up posting it three times not knowing it went through.

This is Requiem

• Way Past Cool 1

To be honest, the idea that we were going to get gameplay when the game is still so far out was always ludicrous to me. This trailer was to confirm a timeframe where we can expect the game & to confirm that it's a different experience from the previous titles. Things like gameplay & even story info (if the mention of SAGE was really redacted from the press release) are meant to be held off at a later date when they're ready to go all-in on promoting Frontiers.

Is it fine to be cautious about this game, given the amount of uncertainty is going into it? Sure, but the amount of arguing, shit-flinging & in some cases, condescending attitudes about a title we know so little about is absurd.

• Thumbs Up 3

13 minutes ago, KHCast said:

somebody on Twitter posted this image, and I had to laugh.  

89038DF0-1B39-44B1-AF0F-6625B3DBA269.jpeg

The bold new direction for Sonic is to find someone else's footprints and to follow behind them. Stay far enough back so he can't be spotted by them, and definitely don't get ahead of them, because he sure as hell wouldn't know where to go from there.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Absolutely 2

Just now, Gloved Animal said:

The bold new direction for Sonic is to find someone else's footprints and to follow behind them. Stay far enough back so he can't be spotted by them, and definitely don't get ahead of them, because he sure as hell wouldn't know where to go from there.

That's....a bit melodramtic to go off of a comparison pic.

• Thumbs Up 3

27 minutes ago, shdowhunt60 said:

I don't think Frontiers is going to be literally as open as Breath of the Wild. Not "complete any quest in any order, fuck it, kill the final boss right now" open. I don't think the nature of the game will impact the narrative much.

2 minutes ago, Gloved Animal said:

Sonic's been a franchise that wore it's influences on their sleeve since the first game, tbf. Even just blatantly ripping a concept off isn't new territory for this series (see: Silver, Super Sonic, etc.)

What makes this series unique is what twist it can add to the concept it rips off, like the idea behind the first game "Mario but faster." Whether or not Frontiers will succeed in adding a new twist to the BOTW-style open world games remains to be seen.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Gloved Animal said:

Really goes against the lyrics in his theme song "It doesn't matter"

26 minutes ago, Soniman said:

Honestly before any story I just want decent character writing again. I want the dialogue to be charming, fun, witty, and earnest and finally get us out of the juvenile garbo we've been stuck with for years 

Yeah, but is it just going to be just Sonic again? Because given the credible leaks we do have, it sound like they're not going to have Sonic's friends. Which is kinda where Ian's strength as a writer lies, so I kinda have to beg the question if Ian's going to be used to the best of his capacity.

Okay, look. I'll put it like this. I'm excited for what Ian writing for the games implies for the future of the franchise. I'm just not sure what it is going to provide pertaining to Sonic Frontiers specifically. 

14 minutes ago, D.H said:

To be honest, the idea that we were going to get gameplay when the game is still so far out was always ludicrous to me. This trailer was to confirm a timeframe where we can expect the game & to confirm that it's a different experience from the previous titles. Things like gameplay & even story info (if the mention of SAGE was really redacted from the press release) are meant to be held off at a later date when they're ready to go all-in on promoting Frontiers.

Is it fine to be cautious about this game, given the amount of uncertainty is going into it? Sure, but the amount of arguing, shit-flinging & in some cases, condescending attitudes about a title we know so little about is absurd.

39 minutes ago, SSF1991 said:

I would like to say something about that. It seems like it is a good idea to expect the worst and not be optimistic for a Sonic game, based on past Sonic games. However, I should point out while it is ultimately up to the person themselves to choose what they want to do, being pessimistic is not always the way to go. I mean, what if this game turns out good, and what if it is bad, but the next game is good? There is bound to be a good game eventually, but my point is that being pessimistic regardless all the time for a current Sonic game will hurt your chances for liking a future Sonic game or games. It may seem like a good strategy at first, but if one keeps doing it, well, it is like the bad effects of a drug over time. You'll just be trapped in the same cycle, potentially not liking a Sonic game that has yet to come out or the games after, not liking it for any reason, or even the smallest of reasons no matter what Sega and Sonic Team do. It also hurts to not like the little things and hang on to the past for too long that it affects your ability to like any Sonic game, upcoming or in the future. It is like living in fear of things, even though this is just a game.

I can't change the minds of anyone, obviously, but the best thing to do would be move on and not let the past get to you. That is how people overcome things. What may be a bad Sonic game from before does not mean a newer Sonic game will be as bad. It is how you look at it, continuing to have a negative outlook will be more harmful than helpful in terms of hoping a new Sonic game is good. Just because it has happened over and over does not mean it will happen forever. So it is better to try to be positive, and even if you are disappointed in the final game, move on and don't give in to your disappointment or what happened that time.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, CrystalMaelStorm said:

I would like to say something about that. It seems like it is a good idea to expect the worst and not be optimistic for a Sonic game, based on past Sonic games. However, I should point out while it is ultimately up to the person themselves to choose what they want to do, being pessimistic is not always the way to go. I mean, what if this game turns out good, and what if it is bad, but the next game is good? There is bound to be a good game eventually, but my point is that being pessimistic regardless all the time for a current Sonic game will hurt your chances for liking a future Sonic game or games. It may seem like a good strategy at first, but if one keeps doing it, well, it is like the bad effects of a drug over time. You'll just be trapped in the same cycle, potentially not liking a Sonic game that has yet to come out or the games after, not liking it for any reason, or even the smallest of reasons no matter what Sega and Sonic Team do. It also hurts to not like the little things and hang on to the past for too long that it affects your ability to like any Sonic game, upcoming or in the future. It is like living in fear of things, even though this is just a game.

I can't change the minds of anyone, obviously, but the best thing to do would be move on and not let the past get to you. That is how people overcome things. What may be a bad Sonic game from before does not mean a newer Sonic game will be as bad. It is how you look at it, continuing to have a negative outlook will be more harmful than helpful in terms of hoping a new Sonic game is good. Just because it has happened over and over does not mean it will happen forever. So it is better to try to be positive, and even if you are disappointed in the final game, move on and don't give in to your disappointment or what happened that time.

I think for a lot of fans, it's just never giving Sonic Team an inch because they've "been burned too many times," so they remain skeptical until they feel secure in the game's quality. While there's nothing wrong with that, some fans do take it a step too far & it can make for an absolutely miserable time engaging with the fandom.

Again criticism is healthy & skepticism when it comes to Sonic Team is a good thing, but when there's fans who are optimistic or just plain interested in what they're seeing & you got fans trying to dump on that excitement because of gripes they may have, or try to talk down to other people's intrigue as them being "naive" or treat them as new fans who don't know any better, I think it's time to step away from the fandom for a bit. That stuff is toxic & brings absolutely nothing of value to any conversation & can easily make any discussion turn hostile.

• Thumbs Up 8

24 minutes ago, Gloved Animal said:

I was making a joke, but okay.

It's honestly really hard to tell who's joking or who's just taking it too seriously with the melodrama these days.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, D.H said:

I think for a lot of fans, it's just never giving Sonic Team an inch because they've "been burned too many times," so they remain skeptical until they feel secure in the game's quality. While there's nothing wrong with that, some fans do take it a step too far & it can make for an absolutely miserable time engaging with the fandom.

Again criticism is healthy & skepticism when it comes to Sonic Team is a good thing, but when there's fans who are optimistic or just plain interested in what they're seeing & you got fans trying to dump on that excitement because of gripes they may have, or try to talk down to other people's intrigue as them being "naive" or treat them as new fans who don't know any better, I think it's time to step away from the fandom for a bit. That stuff is toxic & brings absolutely nothing of value to any conversation & can easily make any discussion turn hostile.

I should have noted the being cautious part, or skepticism if you wish to call it that. Either way, they are good things to approach situations with.

Still, being disappointed and game quality aside, it does not help that the Sonic fanbase is so diverse that we want so many different things, and if none of those things are in the next Sonic game, people will just flip out and be negative. I think that has a role in terms of how people come to be negative.

Either way, trying to dump on others' excitement due to one's gripes, as you said, is very unhealthy, and makes it more that you won't possibly enjoy anything. Plus, how could one not know any better than the person being negative when it is just a want or opinion someone has? I actually talked about how being a bad sport and not letting others be happy or give the game a chance is a mentally unhealthy thing to do. I even considered it almost demonic, if you know what I mean.

• Thumbs Up 2

47 minutes ago, Soniman said:

...and earnest...

A struggle to be sure.

The games being earnest just meant they lacked any self-awareness, which...I assume this new mystery writer will strike a good tone.

3 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Jax Joranvexeon said:

It's honestly really hard to tell who's joking or who's just taking it too seriously with the melodrama these days.

Fair enough. My humor tends to be dry so I can be hard to read I guess. I'm not mad about what we know so far. 

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Gloved Animal said:

Fair enough. My humor tends to be dry so I can be hard to read I guess. I'm not mad about what we know so far. 

Oh, with all due respect, I don't think you're mad either, going off of what you've posted so far. You seem sensible in the matters as they are.

• Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

I suppose that's the real reason I'm not freaking out. Despite this all looking like something I'd totally be into and totally hyped for back in the day, I've been burned so many times that finally getting something that feels like it might be what I want is cancelling the two sides of me out.

Thus I'm in this weird, mellow, neutral space where I'm just like "Yeah. This is neat. Can't wait to see more."

When I saw something in the lead up to Forces that I actually Iiked, I was all-caps hyped about it and this game already looks better than that and yet I'm just kind of... here for it but not chomping at the bit for anything. Not yet.

Then again, I tend to never get upset or angry at something that I don't have a clear enough picture of yet regardless so... who knows?

Welcome to the Zen zone brother 

I'm worried about a lot of what we're seeing here, but the fact that they're showing us it at The Game Awards a year before release makes me kinda optimistic. We haven't seen that kind of approach to a Sonic game in a long time. Maybe SEGA has reason to feel confident about the game. We know they were playtesting the style a while ago. Maybe they landed on something that is bearing good results.

• Thumbs Up 2