Awoo.

New Mario game on the way

Detective Shadzter

Also, I still don't get why Nintendo is being called "Lazy" when every Mario sequel before 64, excluding Yoshi's Island and Super Mario "USA" (which isn't even a Mario game), was just a mission pack sequel and everyone loves them. Specifically SMB 3 and SMW.

There have been two games in the main series to date that were Mission Pack Sequels. The "original" second game and Yoshi's Island DS. Arguably, this also applies to SMS as well, depending on how much you think FLUDD added to the game.

And Super Mario USA is more of a Mario game than Lost Levels is.

...since when is Donkey Kong Country "terrible"? It was a great game for it's time.

Since it was an overrated, over hyped piece of mediocrity that sold purely because of the graphics it had rather than any redeeming features it had gameplay-wise over the millions of other platformers that were out at the same time. But we are getting away from the topic at hand.

Edited by Tornado

You know I first played DKC back when I was too young to care about graphics, I genuinely think it was a pretty darn good game. Tons of secrets were what I remember most about it.

My two cents.

Edited by SuperLink
  • Thumbs Up 2

You know I first played DKC back when I was too young to care about graphics, I genuinely think it was a pretty darn good game. Tons of secrets were what I remember most about it.

My two cents.

Same here. The Donkey Kong Country series was a genuinely fun franchise of platformers, I think.

Mario games are serious business.

There are plenty of people who actually enjoy the shitload of genre tackles that Nintendo brings to Mario, obviously there is support for games like Kart and Tennis. To be honest, 2D platformers aren't my favorite aspect of the core Mario series (bar SMB3), as I largely prefer non-Mario platformers such as Yoshi and Wario, or the RPG series.

Also the term "mission pack sequel" is starting to get on my nerves. Who cares?

I've already explained why the distinction is important and why it bothers me when applied to the Mario series.

Edited by Tornado

There's just so much Mario around these days. Mario and Sonic, Mario and Luigi and NSMB all in the space of a few months at the end of this year. And then we're getting Super Mario Galaxy 2 sometime in 2010.

I wouldn't put it past Nintendo to release a new Paper Mario and a new Mario Party game next year.

The reason I care; I just didn't like Galaxy like everyone else and their mom :D

In all seriousness though, the game was thoroughly enjoyable. The experience was grand but when re-playing it the experience is torn down and I just realize how the levels were 90% of the time linear or too limited, mainly cause of Galaxy's gimmick. They're just not as enjoyable and replayable as I found say, Super Mario 64 and Sunshine. Yeah. Really.

This is something I hope gets adressed in Super Mario Galaxy 2 if it'd ever need to get on my watch-list. So far the only thing I see as an actual sign of improvement on that area of my complaint is the snow level that appeared in the trailer for like 4 seconds which looked more open-field like and interesting. I can only HOPE it is, cause it sure looked like it was.

This is why I don't like the idea of a Galaxy 2 by only HEARING it. We've barely gotten footage so I can easily be proven wrong, there's a bunch of time and space for that. But so far the footage is everything and alot looks like the same, hence "the expanded expansion pack".

Galaxy had me blown away with it's charm but Galaxy 2 will have to ditch the charm and focus more on the actual gameplay this time around if it's going to stick out since those things work only for a first time really. It had the perfect gameplay engine, style and graphics. They were just excecuted poor, atleast imo.

I really don't feel happy at all admitting it cause my hype meter for Galaxy was really high. I really wanted to enjoy it. I just couldn't, not to the extent that I enjoyed the previous 3D Mario games.

Edited by Oni-Tan
  • Thumbs Up 1

Thats quite a lot of games per year and most tend to be 'duds'. My peet peve is with what I said before as far as other more deserving titles' go and the fact that as far as the Ninty Fanbase is concerned the its mostly about double standards. For example, 'Microsoft milk Halo', 'Activison milk Guitar Hero' etc but not you know who.

If it's of any consolation, I think the people who claim Halo and Guitar Hero are being milked are idiots too. 8D

1) No its not. Galaxy however showed the Wii could do pretty damn good graphics and it wouldn't hurt if Nintendo did the same for some of their other games, spin-off or otherwise. And once again, if this was a third-party graphics would mine.

The reason 2D games tend to have tons of levels is because they don't all have to be produced and modeled in 3D. It'd be silly to expect a game as big and yet also intricate as NSMB to be as pretty as Galaxy.

2) Well I played Galaxy and as far as I know, it was just waggle at specific points.

NSMB looks to have waggle too (though the see-saws at the very least make use of gentle tilting), but I see nothing wrong with it if it's being used for simple actions. Frankly I find waggle makes the spin attack and star launching in Galaxy to be 10x as satisfying as it would be by just pushing the B button as it would have been on controllers of old.

3) I agree with that, but in what way are the 360 and PS3 methods not pick up and play?

I mean by the casual crowd really here. They're scared of controllers quite often, lol.

NSMB obv (it is a 7th gen game, even if it's pretty old by now). I did enjoy that a lot and my only disappointment was the slight lack of stages and the difficulty.

NSMB had 80 levels. D8 How high are your standards man!? Lol.

Edited by JezMM

Wowzer. Couldn't agree more, you know. Galaxy was a fun game first time round, but any play-through since has been dire. The game was just horribly limited and didn't bring anything new like 64 and Sunshine did. Not to mention that the Comet Observatory just plain sucks. Peach's Castle was fun to explore, Delfino Plaza was like a level or it's own but Galaxy's attemp was just bad. Bad bad bad.

Oh and to be on topic, please be a Paper Mario. Wii or DS doesn't bother me, but a new Paper game would just plain scissors rock. It could even be a remake of the first game (though ultilising the battle mechanics of the second) and it would be an instant hit.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mario games are serious business.

Apparently.

The topic was originally about a new unannounced Mario game and now people are just arguing about the older ones. Although it is to be expected since that's all everyone does when a new Sonic game is announced.

NSMB had 80 levels. D8 How high are your standards man!? Lol.

Either the stages in NSMB were tiny or there were definitely less than in SMW or SMB3.

EDIT: Btw I've played through Galaxy 3 times or more and I've loved it every time.

Edited by SuperLink
  • Thumbs Up 1

Either the stages in NSMB were tiny or there were definitely less than in SMW or SMB3.

No lies there- the stages in NSMB were awfully shallow. So you want to find the hidden goal in one or two stage? Just take the obvious second path.

No lies there- the stages in NSMB were awfully shallow. So you want to find the hidden goal in one or two stage? Just take the obvious second path.

Yeah you don't even need to check for random gaps in the invisible ceiling or bounce off multiple enemies to get to a ridiculously high platform you had no idea was even there.

Now THAT kind of secret exit is what I'm talking about.

Well, it seems that according to the difficulty jump we've seen, this game might just be more difficult than NSMB. Although, the difficulty never bothered me when playing NSMB anyways; it was a joyride all the way through to me.

I hated those super secret exits in the old games, and I thought plenty of the NSMB one's were reasonably devilish, involving invisible blocks and the like. I needed a guide for a few.

Oh, but +1 vote for still finding Galaxy fun. Nothing will ever beat the glory of the first play, it is indeed linear, but I've gotten all 242 stars at least four times now.

Edited by JezMM

For some reason I kinda don't like how NSMB Wii seems to show everything that's on the Y axis, similarly to the original SMB. I liked the close-up factor of Super Mario World, that way there's some stuff above that we wouldn't see too, and with multiplayer it could be a panning camera that zooms out etc.

It'd add more for the 2D exploration factor and with multiplay, that effect could really work.

Edited by Oni-Tan

I bet we're going to go through 80+ pages until its announced :P.

Just like Needlemouse? Ah, come on! It's annoying enough that that game hasn't had any updates on what console it's going to be let alone what the game looks or plays like.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's annoying enough that that game hasn't had any updates on what console it's going to be let alone what the game looks or plays like.

E3 2010 fodder, anybody? No? Okay.

I really hope that by 2010 Sega meant that was when they were going to release it, not, "Finally getting around to telling you all about it".

Edited by Phos

I really hope that by 2010 Sega meant that was when they were going to release it, not, "Finally getting around to telling you all about it".

Given the way the industry seems to love to announce announcements nowadays it wouldn't surprise me if that's exactly what was meant.

I'm hoping and praying for a new Paper Mario & Sonic since, of course, it's one of my favorite RPGs, and hopefully, a Shy Guy would be on my party b/c it would be cool and dang it, they get no love :( !

However, I agree that Mario should take a vacation, and for Nintendo to make more Star Fox and other franchises that haven't had a game for a long while. Heck, when are they going to release Kirby for the Wii? Is it lost in development or something?