Awoo.

New Mario game on the way

Detective Shadzter

I'm sorry but I honestly feel that anyone that thinks that current Mario and current Sonic games are on a near equal level is delusional. I don't want to get into a whole big thing about it but there is no way they are equal IMO. Not that I hate Sonic. I enjoy a few of his new games.

Also even if NSMBW was a glorified DS game (which it isn't) why would that make it bad? If a game is good it's good. Many people, including myself, are hoping Project Needlemouse is a glorified Genesis/Mega Drive game. And how anyone could think more Mario Galaxy is bad thing is beyond my comprehension. :mellow:

Edited by speedfreak
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Mario hasn't been in a slump since people forgot Sunshine existed. Whether that stays true after NSMBW and Galaxy 2 remains to be seen, but I don't think things will change too much.

I have recently gotten into liking (some of) the Mario Party games again, so I'd be interested if it was one of those. Mario Party DS is probably one of the few in the series that was actually good, so I'd be really interested if it was a sequel to that.

Also even if NSMBW was a glorified DS game (which it isn't) why would that make it bad?

Because it is a retread of an idea in a series that is almost always notable for constantly being forward-thinking, making the whole thing come off as a bit lazy regardless of how much effort is put into the level design for the new content. That is my problem with both NSMBW and Galaxy 2.

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 1

It's probably a new Mario Party game, like most people said already, but I would think that maybe it would be something unexpected. Has anyone possibly considered Mario 128? Well, I guess that probably isn't it. But maybe it could be a true Mario Tennis sequel, or a new sport for the franchise. It's probably not a new Mario Kart or Smash Bros. though, seeing as how it's been a one-per-system basis, though a new one would be nice.

Mario spinoffs are actually fun, I think.

I do not find a deviation from the standard gameplay formula to be an inherent sign of badness.

• Thumbs Up 1

Could it be another Mario Kart? Historically there has only been one per console but with the HUGE success of MKWii might that change? Whatever it turns out to be doesn't really matter. Even if it is another lame entry in the Mario Party series who cares? Bowser's Inside Story was awesome and we have two excellent looking Mario platformers on the way shortly. I'd love for it to be something great, but if it's a side Mario title (which it almost certainly is) I'm fine with that.

The main problem I have, is that if in fact it is another shitty Mario spin off (aren't they all?) it will most likely then not sell like hotcakes while other entires that are at least trying to do something with the Wii are overlooked and rust. Its not as if Nintendo don't have other money making franchises.

I'm sorry but I honestly feel that anyone that thinks that current Mario and current Sonic games are on a near equal level is delusional. I don't want to get into a whole big thing about it but there is no way they are equal IMO. Not that I hate Sonic. I enjoy a few of his new games.

May'be not on the same level, but certainly not far off. I don't count a solid game once in a while, as a franchise thriving in my opinion.

Also even if NSMBW was a glorified DS game (which it isn't) why would that make it bad? If a game is good it's good. Many people, including myself, are hoping Project Needlemouse is a glorified Genesis/Mega Drive game.

I like developers (especially the ones who are involved with making the actual consoles) to actually take advantage of the hardware at their disposal.

What Tornado and Oni-Tan said.

Edit: It could be another Paper Mario Game. Either that or one of the other spin offs on the gamecube that has yet to meet its place on the Wii. Wasn't there some mario dance revoultion game or something?

Edited by blackherox

It can't be Paper Mario because those games don't even have voices. And all for the better, though I have a strong fondness for M&L's gibberish speak, which I wish was replicated in other games.

It can't be Paper Mario because those games don't even have voices. And all for the better, though I have a strong fondness for M&L's gibberish speak, which I wish was replicated in other games.

Say what? Paper Mario DOES have voices. Much like The Mario Kart and Mario Party series'.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh, had no idea they added voices starting from the second game.

Fiiiiiiiiiiiiine, I want Paper Mario on the DS then.

• Bad Quality Post 1

May'be not on the same level, but certainly not far off. I don't count a solid game once in a while, as a franchise thriving in my opinion.

Well then it just comes down to different opinions. I think every couple of years we receive an excellent Mario game, which is fine by me. I know a lot of people love Sonic's current outings but I feel they are sometimes good but at the same time very lacking. I'd rather get an excellent game every 3-4 years then a mediocre or even pretty good game every 1-2 years. Who are we kidding though? Ask almost anyone (maybe not on this site since it is a Sonic site) that's into this hobby and they are going to tell you that Mario is currently in much better shape then Sonic. Does that make it a fact? No, but it is however the popular opinion. I'm not trying to start anything though. I still like Sonic but I just don't feel his quality is anywhere near Mario's currently. Back in the 16 bit days I actually preferred Sonic though.

Anyway how about we just agree to disagree. This is a thread about a new Mario game and I'd hate to be the cause of derailment.

Edited by speedfreak

The main problem I have, is that if in fact it is another shitty Mario spin off (aren't they all?) it will most likely then not sell like hotcakes while other entires that are at least trying to do something with the Wii are overlooked and rust. Its not as if Nintendo don't have other money making franchises.

This is what I'm afraid of. Unlike most Nintendo fanboys, I want a console that has a varied library, not a Mario machine(assuming this coming to the Wii that is).

Seriously, there are other franchise that could take much more advantage of the Wii's motion control capabilities and Nintendo's not using them in favor of More-io.

Edited by The Scout

To be honest, I think Mario's been at his best since the NES. On the SNES there was only one truly great Mario platformer, Super Mario World (Yoshi's Island too I guess), on the N64 Super Mario 64 was the only Mario platformer on the system, and on the GameCube all we got was Sunshine (Even if TTYD was a great game, it wasn't really a platformer). Now on the Wii we've got Super Paper Mario and Super Mario Galaxy already, the former was a pretty fun game but not the greatest, the latter being one of, if not, my absolute favorite game ever. We haven't gotten a shoddy sports title in a while now, and I'm pretty sure the only spin-off game coming out is New Super Mario Bros. Wii, which is packed with nostalgia and looks really good.

I'm not going to complain about more Mario, but I do admit I'd prefer a new Starfox. NSMBW and Galaxy 2 are plenty to keep the Mario fan in me pleased. I'd love a new M+ Starfox game with no on foot crap......and to be nothing like the DS one. D:

• Thumbs Up 1

This doesn't in any way discount the possibility of there being, for example, a Star Fox and/or F-Zero game in developement, Nintendo has several development teams. just saying, ya know?

Edited by The Sniper

I don't see myself getting excited for whatever this is, as I have never touched a Mario Party or Sports game, and I doubt I will.... ( Unless they make a Mario Pro Wrestling game... ) and I can,t see it being a new RPG or platformer. Then again, I was extremely pessimistic about E3's rumored Mario games until NSMBW was revealed.

That said, I do wish Nintendo would give Mario Metroid and Zelda a small rest after all announced games get here, and give us what we want: Starfox, Kirby, F-Zero, Donkey Kong, Pikmin 3, and the others.

EDIT: I JUST HAD A THOUGHT... Remember how Super Mario All-stars was recently re-copyrighted?

What if it's getting re-made with NSMBW graphics and sound?

Edited by Lando The Bat

ANOTHER Mario game? I like Mario like other people do, but the series should take a break for a little while, and bring back some other series. Seeing a new Starfox or F-Zero would be great.

People need to stop fucking moaning about "milking the franchise" for a series that releases like, 3-5 games a year both spin-off or otherwise, and usually only has one dud (at the most) among them.

Mario has been "milking the franchise" like this since the N64 days (read, over 10 years ago now) and if you're not used to it now you'll never be. I think Nintendo have proven this generation more than any that they know what they're doing.

Also wanted to respond to this comment on New Super Mario Bros. Wii:

I like developers (especially the ones who are involved with making the actual consoles) to actually take advantage of the hardware at their disposal.

The hardware is not meant to be a powerhouse so graphics aren't a big deal. The Wiimote is used for Mario Galaxy type attacks, in-level gimmicks (such as see-saws) and the copter hat (as far as I'm aware). Finally, the pick-up-and-play appeal of the Wii is perfectly suited for letting friends and family play together, jumping in or leaving at any point. New Super Mario Bros. is a perfect - if not THE perfect - example of exactly what the Wii is all about.

Edited by JezMM
  • Thumbs Up 1

I don't see myself getting excited for whatever this is, as I have never touched a Mario Party or Sports game, and I doubt I will.... ( Unless they make a Mario Pro Wrestling game... ) and I can,t see it being a new RPG or platformer. Then again, I was extremely pessimistic about E3's rumored Mario games until NSMBW was revealed.

That said, I do wish Nintendo would give Mario Metroid and Zelda a small rest after all announced games get here, and give us what we want: Starfox, Kirby, F-Zero, Donkey Kong, Pikmin 3, and the others.

EDIT: I JUST HAD A THOUGHT... Remember how Super Mario All-stars was recently re-copyrighted?

What if it's getting re-made with NSMBW graphics and sound?

Mario Allstars was re-copyrighted? This could either mean a remake, or they could be releasing it on VC. If it's the latter, I could see a lot of people being pissed off if they bought the originals already(although I personally prefer the originals).

Mario Allstars was re-copyrighted? This could either mean a remake, or they could be releasing it on VC. If it's the latter, I could see a lot of people being pissed off if they bought the originals already(although I personally prefer the originals).

I always thought it'd be a cool idea to release All-Stars at a discounted price, say 100 points knocked off for each game you own already, so you're effectively just paying for a save feature and coat of 16-bit paint on them.

I always thought it'd be a cool idea to release All-Stars at a discounted price, say 100 points knocked off for each game you own already, so you're effectively just paying for a save feature and coat of 16-bit paint on them.

This is the same Nintendo that's making you pay 800 points for what is Space Invaders for the Super Nintendo and I don't think there was a discount for people who bought the Sega Genesis version of Altered Beast.

The way I see it, they have a fixed price point for games and they want to stick by it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Super Mario All Stars was re trademarked? Gives me the impression that they're going to make another all stars by remaking and compiling SM64 and probably a few other games.

Haha! :lol:

It's funny that they don't seem interested in making any more F-Zero games, it was after only the second of their franchises that got an anime series, with the first being Kirby. Sure, it mostly sucked, except for one infamous scene...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFtw7qW7Vcw

...Perhaps they took the anime series's unpopularity the wrong way?

It's funny that they don't seem interested in making any more F-Zero games, it was after only the second of their franchises that got an anime series, with the first being Kirby. Sure, it mostly sucked, except for one infamous scene...

Extra depressing when you think the last Nintendo developed game was F-Zero X and that they're been outsourcing it since.

then again, this did give us the sublime F Zero GX. Perhaps they should outsource it to SEGA again.

as for mario: Hope it's a good spin off, rather then a bad one.

then again, this did give us the sublime F Zero GX. Perhaps they should outsource it to SEGA again.

Not likely, Miyamoto thought GX was the worst installment of the entire franchise, even though it was the best.