Awoo.

Would you ever want Sonic to have his own Sport games on the Wii?

Hero of Legend

Well, I enjoy the Mario Kart games a lot and I see them as Mario games before kart-racers. Mario Kart isn't about the character just starring in any kart-racer, Mario owns the game. What I mean is all the gimmicks fit a Mario theme. Like a Thwomp flattening you into the racetrack, or how the tracks are all Mario locations, and how there's a certain Mario and Nintendo quality behind the gameplay. That last one's important because if you let your quality drop on what could be seen as a spin-off, you let people know they don't have to take this game seriously. Mario Kart's one of the few series to pull this off well, IMO. Not so much with his other sports games. Quality put me off the Mario Strikers series, because it just looked like soccer plus Mario. You also run the risk of being too realistic, in which case you lose out to other real sports series. I think the more you transform the game the more your character owns it, because you make it a kind of hybrid-game. The first time I played Mario Kart I didn't really like kart-racing games, but I knew I liked Mario, and this was Mario enough to be fun.

Also, some of the more enjoyable sports games for me are the unrealistic ones. NBA Jam was fun because it was 2-on-2, and had turbo and fire features. NFL Blitz was fun because it played fast and was over the top action.

Enough of me babbling though. I've had this idea for about a year that Sonic should have a fast-paced basketball game, like NBA Jam with 2-on-2 play. There would be elevated baskets, special moves, courts with ramps, etc.

@ Azukara Hayashi

I sincerely apologise if I irritated you back! I hope I didn't make my arguement seem personal. I still say there's nothing wrong with even games you can easily play in real life, because even then you need people to play with and a place to play, and sometimes people appreciate the mere test of reaction time and skill, whether it's with a controller or real equipment.

I agree, players of simulation games who act like they could do the real thing just fine are annoying, though of course that's a problem with the person, not the game.

It's alright! No big deal. It's all cool. =)

However I'd rather have them keep all this 'sport/kart/party/spinoff' stuff to Sega in general, since we all know about Sega Superstars Tennis and SaSASR. I mean, why do we need Sonic to do all this stuff anyways if we could have entire Sega company doing it? Now that's something worth having. =)

By the way, this "things you could do in real life" argument reminds me of Futurama's Virtual Virtual Skeeball.

"Wow, I could swear I was really playing Virtual Skeeball!" :lol:

...Call me a fanboy but I would LOVE a Sonic Guitar Hero. And I still want to get my hands on Mario DDR. I heard the only bad thing is it's easiness, and the remixed music is kinda cool. =(

I would be right there with you so long as its Sonic Guitar Hero and not Guitar Hero w/ Sonic characters & Tracks slapped on.

Call me Crazy, but quite often when playing a sports game I get to thinking "Sonic would have shed that tackle" or "Knuckles could have totally lit the lamp from there".

I agree, players of simulation games who act like they could do the real thing just fine are annoying, though of course that's a problem with the person, not the game.

Reminds me of the glorified sims us pilots get put through. Dudes don't just climb into billion dollar F-22s, they have to push them X amount of times in a sim first.

Edited by Sega DogTagz

Sports? In my Sonic the Hedgehog series?

It's more likely than you think.

tennis_03b.gifkart3dx_03.giffcsonic_02.jpgsplash_02.jpg

Why yes, Sonic has indeed had several outings into the world of sports. Although never released outside of Japan, several of the games included in the Sonic Café series have pitted the blue blur and his colorful cast of friends in various athletic activities - ranging from tennis, golf, fishing, and even bowling. Also, unlike the SEGA Superstars series, these were made and distributed exclusively by Sonic Team.

Aside from that, Sonic has also had a handful of more "mainstream" sports spin-off titles such as the Riders, Drift, and Olympic Games series. Two of which have been Wii titles, and very successful ones at that. Why, if you were to give a full list of all of the sports games Sonic has taken part in...

Sonic Gameworld

Sonic Drift

Sonic Drift 2

Virtua Striker 2

Virtua Striker 3

Sonic Tennis

Sonic Golf

Sonic Fishing

Sonic Billiards

Sonic Bowling

Sonic Racing Shift Up

Sonic Putter

Sonic Darts

Sonic Racing Kart

Sonic Kart 3DX

Sonic Golf 3D

Sonic Riders

Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games

Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity

Sega Superstars Tennis

Sega Splash! Golf

Sonic at the Olympic Games

Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games

Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing

...you'd have twenty four games. Not including cameos. They all appear to be fairly well-executed games, and manage to seamlessly combine sports and hedgehogs while still maintaining a level of fun. I'm also in full agreement with Dr. Mechano with his take on things - it's a great way to see how the characters spend their time while not saving the world, as well as see some character interactions not visible in some of the mainstream titles.

I, for one, loved the Sonic Riders series - both games did have an underlying plot to things, and featured settings that fit perfectly within the series. They certainly didn't demean the series as a mere "cash-cow" whoring scheme for making money. And hey, if the game is fun, who honestly gives a damn that it's a sports "spin-off" game? A fun game is a fun game. Although they may not all be epic action driven adventures, I believe that they're all still enjoyable in their own right.

Edited by HunterTSF
  • Thumbs Up 2

I think Sonic would be great on a sports game for Wii. Mostly because I always found it ironic that Mario got all the sports games when he's like the obese child of the video game world. So yeah, a Sonic the Hedgehog sports game would probably be fun and make a lot more sense....

Eugh..... Really? A Sports line?

No. Ask a thousand, ask the majority. No will be the unanimous vote.