Awoo.

MT | Sonic Prime (Netflix, TV Series) - General Discussion

Wraith

I just realized that the ENTIRETY of S3 was absolutely pointless because of the ending. The whole conflict was that Sonic wanted to repair Green Hill, and Nine didn't like that for some reason, so he took the Prism. But at the end of S3 Nine just drops an "oh yeah I can actually repair your home I just didn't because idk sorry bout that", so what was the point of ANY of the fighting happening in the first place? If Nine could repair Green Hill AND keep the Shatterspaces intact, what the hell was stopping him from just explaining that to Sonic initially? He had a supervillain arc for absolutely no reason. 

Also, WHY is Green Hill repairable when it was stated MULTIPLE times that it was gone forever? Didn't Ian say that Prime wipes itself out, and that despite being canon it's just "moot"? So why would you even make it canon in the first place, SEGA?! They probably could've done more with it if it wasn't locked in the "needs to be able to be shoved into a random spot in already established canon" box. I know they needed it to have a happy ending where everything is fine even if that logically can't happen, but creating a gaping plot hole that leaves literally ALL of the previous conflict completely irrelevant is just another level of incompetent writing. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Shiny Gems said:

Well, I was not truly using it as an excuse, and I did acknowledge that some young people may not like it before. I was just saying this is a show that was aimed at kids for an audience, regardless of how involved the plots are, and how involved plots are thing is something I am sure I never said anything about.

That said, I should say that since the show; and by extension, this season; has flaws that can be noticeable, I must note that it is possible for children to grow up, get smarter, and thus end up liking this show AND this season less. Not to call children dumb, for that matter, but I do think that might be something that could happen with @caitash's 7 year old that they mentioned. That child may do so, or they may not, but I mean no offense to that child or caitash, either way.

But anyway, saying that this show is for kids and that it is aimed at a younger audience, given how this show has its flaws, third season included, I'd say that the for kids and aimed at younger people is hardly something that is going to matter, would it not?

No offense taken, kids like a whooooole range of different stuff regardless of its quality and sometimes don’t think too deeply about it all. It doesn’t always have to be what we adults deem to be well-written/executed or not. My kid loves some of the better quality stuff out there but she also seems to happily enjoy Teen Titans Go just as much, so y’now, swings and roundabouts XD

• Thumbs Up 1

I’ll go more into my proper thoughts about Season 3 later (which uh, are certainly not good) later on, but I did want to mention the biggest complaint I have - they really just completely wasted Eggman with absolutely zero payoff whatsoever.

Season 1 and Season 2 had heavy hints that there could be a lot more to Eggman’s role in the Shatterverse than meets the eye. Eggman was at the centre of the blast when Sonic ‘shattered’ the prism. Then, come Season 2 when Ghost Hill was revealed, there was a notable absence of a ghostly Eggman which should have been there alongside Tails, Knuckles, and Amy. 

The biggest hint something was afoot however was when Prismatic Eggman suddenly appeared in Season 2’s finale, taking the form of the original Eggman from the regular universe, which for all extents, the Chaos Council should not have had any idea who or what the original ‘Prime’ Eggman was. It honestly felt like they were setting the pieces in place for Eggman to have been revealed to survived the Shatterverse, and was the one behind the Chaos Council to begin with. 

Yet, it just amounted to nothing. Eggman was just as wasted as the other prime counterparts of the characters, and nothing came of it. Why is he not in Ghost Hill? Who knows. Why was the Chaos Council able to conjure a image of a Eggman they don’t know about? Toy sales, evidently.

• Promotion 2

2 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

I’ll go more into my proper thoughts about Season 3 later (which uh, are certainly not good) later on, but I did want to mention the biggest complaint I have - they really just completely wasted Eggman with absolutely zero payoff whatsoever.

Season 1 and Season 2 had heavy hints that there could be a lot more to Eggman’s role in the Shatterverse than meets the eye. Eggman was at the centre of the blast when Sonic ‘shattered’ the prism. Then, come Season 2 when Ghost Hill was revealed, there was a notable absence of a ghostly Eggman which should have been there alongside Tails, Knuckles, and Amy. 

The biggest hint something was afoot however was when Prismatic Eggman suddenly appeared in Season 2’s finale, taking the form of the original Eggman from the regular universe, which for all extents, the Chaos Council should not have had any idea who or what the original ‘Prime’ Eggman was. It honestly felt like they were setting the pieces in place for Eggman to have been revealed to survived the Shatterverse, and was the one behind the Chaos Council to begin with. 

Yet, it just amounted to nothing. Eggman was just as wasted as the other prime counterparts of the characters, and nothing came of it. Why is he not in Ghost Hill? Who knows. Why was the Chaos Council able to conjure a image of a Eggman they don’t know about? Toy sales, evidently.

I think you're reading too much into those "hints".

- Yes, there logically should be 3 different versions of Eggman, not 5 five in 1 dimension. But Grim is empty, so everything is inconsistent.
- Yes, Eggman should have a ghost. But he could be far away, like Big ghost. We could just miss it.
- Yes, that giant Eggman was weird. But it was also great for the show's budget to reuse a model.

Your mistake was vastly overestimating a show that clearly aimed for simple storytelling. All the "hints" were just general sloppy writing. And frankly, you were reaching with your conclusions, probably because you wanted Real Eggman, not those 5 clowns (can't blame you).

I'm a bit confused with what happened to Shadow. It was said he was trapped in the hole... So I'm guessing Nine patched that up? If he did, wouldn't that mean Shadow would be squashed in that hole? Or did he just stay down there while Nine sent infinite bootleg Metal Sonic's down the hole that wasn't patched up? Or did he just seal the top, after sending some bots down? Also there was multiple occasions Shadow could've used his inhibitors to avoid getting slapped around.

The impression I got was that Nine just kept sending dupes down there to keep Shadow down there, a break mainly coming when Sonic arrived. The Chaos Emerald comment felt, to me, more like about the speed/ease of getting out without getting attacked again.

I might need to rewatch it but wasn't the hole patched/restored, until Nine shot his big laser at the ground to drop Sonic in? If it was patched, wouldn't that mean the ground restored, squashing Shadow?

9 hours ago, cosmichaos said:

I just realized that the ENTIRETY of S3 was absolutely pointless because of the ending. The whole conflict was that Sonic wanted to repair Green Hill, and Nine didn't like that for some reason, so he took the Prism. But at the end of S3 Nine just drops an "oh yeah I can actually repair your home I just didn't because idk sorry bout that", so what was the point of ANY of the fighting happening in the first place? If Nine could repair Green Hill AND keep the Shatterspaces intact, what the hell was stopping him from just explaining that to Sonic initially? He had a supervillain arc for absolutely no reason. 

Because if Sonic's world came back, he'd leave. Nine genuinely saw Sonic as a friend, he wanted to build a new world for both of them, but when he realized Sonic was entirely focused on getting his own world, and the "real" Tails, back, he snapped. If his one friend was just going to abandon him, then fuck everything, burn it all down.

• Thumbs Up 2

Few simple ideas how I would improve this season

1) Nine redemption
Nine NEVER atones for his actions. So I think Sonic would offer he could return with him to Green Hill, to show that he doesn't want to replace Nine with his old friends. And then Nine would choose to stay behind because Shatterspaces were too damaged to be fixed, so instead he found a way to merge all of them into one (more interesting) dimension and he would be needed to keep them that way.

2) Shadow more personality
Remember the start of this season? How about Shadow was pissed, yelled at Sonic and demanded they thing his way... and Sonic would just agree. Shadow logic is that Sonic is an idiot for mistaking Variants are his friends. Instead, they go do Nine and kick his butt. Sonic after failling for a second time, just goes with Shadow suggestion. The fight goes like it went in ep 1, so they loose. Nine is about to win and then all of Sonic friends show up, like they did in episode 3 to save him.
It's almost identical events to the actual show, but with a thematic arc added. Shadow claimed Sonic was wrong for trying to be friends with them, but they show up to save him, after all he did in the past 2 seasons. Arc, characterization, conflict. Even if we need that episode about making forcefield and stuff, it's doable with changing order of events.

3) New character in last season
"But MetalSkulkBane, there was no resources. You yourself kept bringing that up."
Right. There probably was no money for Blaze or Cream. Or even Ninja Tails, Cowboy Amy. So what they should do?
Return Prime versions. Real Knuckles, real Rouge. At the very least real Tails, so Nine can have a little chat with him. That would easily spark some excitement, seeing the guys we actually care about. And they wouldn't affect the plot that much, since their strength is probably not different from 3 clones already running around battlefield.
Yes, it would diminish the ending, but at least Sonic friend would see how much he has learned. And at the end new source of drama was Sonic dying.

9 hours ago, juiceDpunk983 said:

I might need to rewatch it but wasn't the hole patched/restored, until Nine shot his big laser at the ground to drop Sonic in? If it was patched, wouldn't that mean the ground restored, squashing Shadow?

Shadow stayed in the crater because it was the best place for him to bide his time. If he came back to the surface, he would have been a sitting duck for a horde of metals, and would have been easily over-run. By staying in the dark, he could stall as long as he needed to, and the smaller space meant he likely could deal with the robots on his own terms, one or two at a time.

Once he found out Sonic was back, he took the fight back to the surface.

• Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, Diogenes said:

Because if Sonic's world came back, he'd leave. Nine genuinely saw Sonic as a friend, he wanted to build a new world for both of them, but when he realized Sonic was entirely focused on getting his own world, and the "real" Tails, back, he snapped. If his one friend was just going to abandon him, then fuck everything, burn it all down.

Yeah, you're right, I didn't even think of that. It still kind of seems like a stretch for him to attempt to kill multiple people and destroy the very fabric of reality just because his friend didn't want to live in the same barren desert as him. He seemed pretty satisfied with those robotic copies of his, but maybe that was just deflection. Though, theoretically, if he could do almost anything with the Prism energy, couldn't he have just created an artificial lifeform to be his friend, like how Gerald created Shadow?

The show was mostly fun, but man, we need better scripts next time.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, cosmichaos said:

Though, theoretically, if he could do almost anything with the Prism energy, couldn't he have just created an artificial lifeform to be his friend, like how Gerald created Shadow?

That would be an admission of defeat and weakness to himself and the world. The whole idea of robot friends was a testament to the idea that fleshies can't be trusted. If he were to build himself a "real" friend, then he may as well have tied a sign that says "hug me plz" around his neck.

He had to reinforce the idea that he was the only person he could count on. He had to push away the idea of sharing his world with anyone, because Sonic had cut him so deep. Even if deep down, he still wanted those things, he almost had no choice but to suppress those feelings.

On 1/12/2024 at 8:18 AM, cosmichaos said:

Didn't Ian say that Prime wipes itself out, and that despite being canon it's just "moot"? So why would you even make it canon in the first place, SEGA?! They probably could've done more with it if it wasn't locked in the "needs to be able to be shoved into a random spot in already established canon" box.

Marketing. People see that the show is canon and they think "Oh, I have to watch this now because these events are important to the rest of the games!" But it's just a bait-and-switch to attract viewers because the writers are afraid of messing with the games' continuity. This was the plan from the start - they set up this big mystery about "Ooh, when does Prime take place? How does it tie in?" to make the series seem like it would be more important than it actually is. It's an extremely cheap cop-out to make the show "canon" but also not.

It's such a shame because, like many others have already said, there is so much that could've been done with this series if it wasn't so restricted from the boundaries of the canon universe, especially with the whole multiverse concept. X, SatAM, AOSTH, the OVA, the movies, Boom, etc... all of those could've been tied in if not for the fact that this show is considered canon, because those other aforementioned mediums aren't canon. I know that the whole "character travels through the multiverse and meets other versions of himself from past adaptations" trope has become a bit worn in recent years (thanks Marvel), but God it would be so exciting if Sonic pulled it off. It would be a wonderful nod to the fans, old and new. Instead, the closest thing we've ever gotten to that is the whole subplot with Classic Sonic in Forces. Yuck.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, Xandur said:

It's such a shame because, like many others have already said, there is so much that could've been done with this series if it wasn't so restricted from the boundaries of the canon universe, especially with the whole multiverse concept. X, SatAM, AOSTH, the OVA, the movies, Boom, etc...

Respectfully disagree. Crossover of all Sonic sub-series would be a legal nightmare, would cost tons of money and generally require a lot of scrutiny, probably better writers. Obviously, it would be better than "pirate world, jungle world" but there are various reasons why Sega picked simpler options. It's not just "Sega doesn't care about old toons".

Also, I can think of a simple reason why they wanted Prime to be canon: multiverse stories rely on us knowing the "Main" world, so you understand how different new worlds are. Imagine watching the first episode of Dragon Ball, and by 2nd episode, it's a multiverse. That would be confusing as hell. How can you be intrigued by Variant Piccolo, if you know nothing about Main Piccolo?
This is a big failure of Prime: you don't get enough feel on most OG characters, to be shocked by new versions. Tails and Amy kinda work well enough, but they don't even try with Rouge or Knuckles. Like, why we got a pixelated flashback to Knuckles protecting Master Emerald? It tells you very little of main Knuckles, isn't really reflected in Dread and only draws more continuity questions.

• Thumbs Up 2

36 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Respectfully disagree. Crossover of all Sonic sub-series would be a legal nightmare, would cost tons of money and generally require a lot of scrutiny, probably better writers. Obviously, it would be better than "pirate world, jungle world" but there are various reasons why Sega picked simpler options. It's not just "Sega doesn't care about old toons".

That's true. All of those sub-series being present would be an absolute best-case scenario that would require a lot of work, although I think throwing some nods to/cameos from a select couple in there would've been feasible enough. Maybe. Wishful thinking. I'm no legal expert.

36 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Also, I can think of a simple reason why they wanted Prime to be canon: multiverse stories rely on us knowing the "Main" world, so you understand how different new worlds are. Imagine watching the first episode of Dragon Ball, and by 2nd episode, it's a multiverse. That would be confusing as hell. How can you be intrigued by Variant Piccolo, if you know nothing about Main Piccolo?

I see this as being a general issue of Prime already. Why does everyone refer to the original world as just "Green Hill"? What happened to everywhere else? Since when does everyone live in Green Hill? Why isn't Knuckles guarding the Master Emerald? Why is Team Dark seemingly nonexistent? Why is Rouge part of Sonic's friend group now? (I think that one is kind of self-explanatory - Paradox Prism = big shiny gem, so of course Rouge would be there. Regardless, I've seen a lot of other people who are confused by this.) What happened to the Prism? Why is Sonic so stupid?
The questions go on, and just about all of them remain unanswered by the end of the show. Even if you're an avid Sonic fan, Prime still seems like its own world due to how detached and inconsistent it feels when compared to the canon Sonic world that we know. So yes, you're right, it would need a lot of setting up if they had gone a different direction with the show; that's not to say that Prime doesn't already have that problem on its own, though.
It's like the writers wanted Prime to be its own thing, but they shoehorned in the canon aspect of it for, again, marketing. Even they have no idea when the show takes place, hence us only being told its after Advance 3 and the rest being "moot".

• Thumbs Up 2

Just finished "S3" (or just the last part of ordered episodes honestly) last night and... idk, kinda mixed on it.

Overall I don't hate the show. The production values are clearly there as these are some of the best animated action bits this series has seen full stop. VA work is pretty excellent across the board (could've done without the obvious Youtuber cameo characters but whatever) too. It all makes for what's a, at the very least, competent show. Though with that said, I don't know how they thought this plot should've been extended for this long.

Like many have said already, they could've cut this down to a third of its runtime and still have not really missed anything. The overall plot of this series simply didn't need to be dragged out for this long and the show suffered heavily for it.

The lack of unique and, frankly, complete characters. Lack of new locations. Literal copy and paste enemies. There really wasn't enough here and it made this last season drag. I won't go into my feelings of the overall cast here as they have not changed since my post for S2... hell, I probably think less of them all now more than anything.

And I get why Sega chose to play it safe with this show. I get why they opted not to just do the obvious and bring in the actual other universes from across the franchise and expand the cast accordingly. That being said, I still hold that such a show would've been way more interesting than what we got here. Simply put, relying on all of these variants of the main cast to carry a show for this long was not a good idea and they really should've pulled more from other places in the franchise. The fact that even simple things like Blaze, the literal alternate universe character in the main series, wasn't in this is just like... come on y'all, damn.

Also, bit of a side tangent but why was the music in this series so gd generic? Between this and the movies, idk why Sega has such a hard time getting the actual, very well regarded by most, game music into these things. Not every track in this series is owned by someone else or locked in S3 MJ hell; far from it. Getting remixes of some tracks into these fighting scenes would've been amazing but nope, generic orchestra 99% of the time. Such a fucking waste.

All this wrapped in a package that, as far as the wider game canon is concerned, ended up being irrelevant like I had predicted. I joked before about this shows being so uneventful that it could happen on any old day of the week (well, post Advance 3 I guess) but to see it happen in real time was really something. This show was so simple.

Lastly, I should probably make a note of Sonic himself as this incarnation of him has been a hot topic in the fandom for a bit now. And yeah... not a fan of this version myself. He's rarely ever cool (a trait I really don't think you can skimp out on when it comes to him) and he ends up just being whinny and flat out dumb for most of the show. I'm not against having a flawed Sonic. I get people rather see him act this way than have him be a perfect shonen protagonist or something. But imo, there has to be a better balance than what was thrown on screen here. I mean, at the very least I guess he can pass as game Sonic if you place this somewhere between Colors and Forces where, honestly, he doesn't act too differently from here but that's probably a bigger hit against this show than anything. It's just not a version of him I enjoyed watching.

So yeah, basically a show with great production values but with nothing really backing the effort. It's insane how much clearly went into this show on an animation front (again, can not stress enough how well done the fights often were) yet had so little going on from a plot perspective. In terms of the plot driven animation efforts we've gotten (so baring AoSTH and Boom), Prime is easily the least eventful of them all. This entire effort screams of Sega keeping things too safe for their own good. It was fine for the first "season" but by these last batch of episodes... being thrown in to New Yolk again and having to watch the same characters fight the same set of robots again for 20 minutes... that's not entertaining. I just wish they had taken more from across the franchise or, at the very least, cut the show's runtime down.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Promotion 1

25 minutes ago, Strickerx5 said:

Simply put, relying on all of these variants of the main cast to carry a show for this long was not a good idea and they really should've pulled more from other places in the franchise.

The variants could've easily carried the whole show if they actually developed more than a couple of them.

3 hours ago, Strickerx5 said:

Just finished "S3" (or just the last part of ordered episodes honestly) last night and... idk, kinda mixed on it.

Overall I don't hate the show. The production values are clearly there as these are some of the best animated action bits this series has seen full stop. VA work is pretty excellent across the board (could've done without the obvious Youtuber cameo characters but whatever) too. It all makes for what's a, at the very least, competent show. Though with that said, I don't know how they thought this plot should've been extended for this long.

Like many have said already, they could've cut this down to a third of its runtime and still have not really missed anything. The overall plot of this series simply didn't need to be dragged out for this long and the show suffered heavily for it.

The lack of unique and, frankly, complete characters. Lack of new locations. Literal copy and paste enemies. There really wasn't enough here and it made this last season drag. I won't go into my feelings of the overall cast here as they have not changed since my post for S2... hell, I probably think less of them all now more than anything.

And I get why Sega chose to play it safe with this show. I get why they opted not to just do the obvious and bring in the actual other universes from across the franchise and expand the cast accordingly. That being said, I still hold that such a show would've been way more interesting than what we got here. Simply put, relying on all of these variants of the main cast to carry a show for this long was not a good idea and they really should've pulled more from other places in the franchise. The fact that even simple things like Blaze, the literal alternate universe character in the main series, wasn't in this is just like... come on y'all, damn.

Also, bit of a side tangent but why was the music in this series so gd generic? Between this and the movies, idk why Sega has such a hard time getting the actual, very well regarded by most, game music into these things. Not every track in this series is owned by someone else or locked in S3 MJ hell; far from it. Getting remixes of some tracks into these fighting scenes would've been amazing but nope, generic orchestra 99% of the time. Such a fucking waste.

All this wrapped in a package that, as far as the wider game canon is concerned, ended up being irrelevant like I had predicted. I joked before about this shows being so uneventful that it could happen on any old day of the week (well, post Advance 3 I guess) but to see it happen in real time was really something. This show was so simple.

Lastly, I should probably make a note of Sonic himself as this incarnation of him has been a hot topic in the fandom for a bit now. And yeah... not a fan of this version myself. He's rarely ever cool (a trait I really don't think you can skimp out on when it comes to him) and he ends up just being whinny and flat out dumb for most of the show. I'm not against having a flawed Sonic. I get people rather see him act this way than have him be a perfect shonen protagonist or something. But imo, there has to be a better balance than what was thrown on screen here. I mean, at the very least I guess he can pass as game Sonic if you place this somewhere between Colors and Forces where, honestly, he doesn't act too differently from here but that's probably a bigger hit against this show than anything. It's just not a version of him I enjoyed watching.

So yeah, basically a show with great production values but with nothing really backing the effort. It's insane how much clearly went into this show on an animation front (again, can not stress enough how well done the fights often were) yet had so little going on from a plot perspective. In terms of the plot driven animation efforts we've gotten (so baring AoSTH and Boom), Prime is easily the least eventful of them all. This entire effort screams of Sega keeping things too safe for their own good. It was fine for the first "season" but by these last batch of episodes... being thrown in to New Yolk again and having to watch the same characters fight the same set of robots again for 20 minutes... that's not entertaining. I just wish they had taken more from across the franchise or, at the very least, cut the show's runtime down.

Couldn't have agreed more, it's fine for what it is and that's... just run-of-the-mill cartoon for kids that's a one and done kinda of a deal where I don't ever see myself wanting to binge the whole thing again and if I do come back to watch it'll just be for the specific good episodes (mainly the ones with Shadow). It's just not memorable I can say in any way to even distinguish itself among other cartoons as for reference some of the animated action cartoon shows that grew up with like Last Airbender and Gargoyles as notable not DC/Marvel shows for their character development/world building, but then also not as recognized shows that I can go "oh yeah these were good, ought to give em a rewatch" like Xiaolin Showdown, Jackie Chan Adventures, Ben 10 to name a few and given the last one I just don't at all in any capacity see Man of Action's writing in this at all, but maybe goes to show there's a reason why the og Ben 10 was and still is considered the best of the iterations (didn't mind Alien Force/Ultimate Alien).

It's baffling how they couldn't make full creative use of the alternate dimension aspect. Blaze aside, seeing a version of Tails that didn't have Sonic to help shape him in seeing as a role model with Nine is the only creative one of the alter egos (could have even had it end up as Eggman being that role model instead, seeing as how Eggman has prior noted on it if Tails had been under his wing) which that said good god are the Eggmen unbearable I know that some fans speculate they could very well be shattered personas taken away from the original Eggman which fine, but problem is the fans shouldn't be the ones to come up with that idea in mind in trying to fill the empty spaces here and there in making up for the lazy writing (nor is it ever confirmed and we still didn't know what the deal with the titan like Eggman was). For other characters I think Dread could have been thought out better like I think the pirate aspect could have gone somewhere as say a Knuckles that abandons his duty in guarding the Master Emerald in exploring the world, but to a degree of complete selfishness compared to his selfless original at the somewhat expense of his own happiness/freedom. Dread is probably my favorite design wise of the alter egos, but yeah, his heel turn at the end just dunno... didn't feel earned/felt flat? Then Thorn is probably the incarnation of Amy that I would choose among the "sisters" as I can maybe get where they were going with her from say an Amy whose love is so strong for nature/critters that it's taken for an extreme no compromises disposition in having the tunnel vision that she did in having even harmed what she sought out to protect until the light in the darkness so to speak happened. Then probably Rebel for Rogue is who would pick (but frankly not a lot going on there to separate from the og) and I probably would have done something like an opposition faction to the Dread pirates with a captain Rogue as would have been nice to see even in another universe that they have their cat and mouse routine going on (to perhaps Sonic's joy that at least some things remain the same), but for a way longer history between the two.

I think perhaps some of the writing for the iterations of characters could have been better in receiving more time on them if for each individual dimension Sonic just met the alter ego version of just one of his friends (aside from Big as like his role is usually the common man/background character) except for arguably New Yoke given the resistance and that's just mainly where most of the story happens. Because as it stands anyone who I didn't mention for the jungle and pirate worlds could have been deleted as they just hardly served a purpose or just creatively bankrupt (Mangey was insulting, sorry to say, to Tails fans).

As much as some people like to hate on X due to "Chris this, Chris that" the show overall still probably keeping the best Sonic show for me which in part some of it is due to how the Adventure adaptions are as unfortunately a youtube video titled "Sonic X is the real director's cut" got taken down and I concur with that analysis for some of the stuff it did in expanding on or just explaining some things (Adventure 2 in particular for gaps) and then the Metarex arc with how that went in being kinda influential if Frontiers whole Sonic being shot out of a cannon/gun and that ahem... one fan game. Sonic X as it were left its mark as it were on a generation one could say, I just don't see the same with Prime, but perhaps time will tell me otherwise, which I hope not for standards.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think Prime wants to be canon to the games, but half-asses it. Either incompetence or last-minute changes. What we got is "Game World, watered down edition".

Personalities are close enough aside for Sonic. But one could argue that Games Shadow has been OOC for years now and yet all games are canon. So, to me, I can give it a pass. Characters change behavior depending on who writes, happens.

The rings were stupid, but it's as inconsistent as the games themself... except this is 1 show, not 25+ years of various products. Still, who cares?

Chaos Sonic... well, Chaos Council simply never built Metal Sonic, and real Sonic never felt like mentioning him. Dumb, but not impossible.

The only big factor is the "Green Hill Zone" as the name of the entire dimension. Either someone did poor research or it's simplification for the kids. Every world has names like "New Yolk" implying the whole world is just 1 city or "Boscage Maze" which is one forest that a single person can protect. Of course, it would been fixed if Sega kept using "Mobius" because "Earth" would feel silly in this situation, but I'm not smarty pants running this corporation.

If Prime really wants to be canon to the games, whatever, I can play pretend (not that it improves the show in any way). But the least they could do is USE that game universe. Give us Cream, Chaotix, Metal Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 1

Finished watching last night. Overall, I liked the ending. They could only do so much in three seasons to wrap it up, which is a shame since this series could've easily had many, many more seasons and stories. Just a few tweaks that caught my attention: Why didn't Shadow run out of the chasm a lot earlier when he heard all the fighting going on? Since we see he was clearly capable when Sonic fell and found him. Not really his character, imo. Where did Shadow go with the Prism at the end? It's assumed we can trust Shadow as he just wants to protect the world they just saved, but a short scene of him with it would've been nice. Lastly, the Knuckles' could've easily climbed up the tower, and the Rouge's could've easily fly up... why didn't the Boscage team just do that and maybe have Big stay on watch? They could've been stealth-like with it, as we learned Renegade Knucks made it up undetected.

I know I'm likely overthinking. It's a kids show, and like I said at first, for all the creators had to juggle, I think they did a good job. There's always going to be plot holes and questions with any show. I really wish this series was longer but at the same time, having a show not drag on forever just because it can keeps the quality high. The animation, voices, all of it was great. I personally enjoyed Boom, but I think I liked Prime a bit more. X will always be my fave though, lol.

• Thumbs Up 1

Thoughts on the show overall is that it was alright.  Animation, choreography and voicework were highlights.  Jokes were... well usually each episode made me laugh once, which is decent enough.

Yeah, Season 3 was a real drag.  I thought the cliffhanger/status quo change at the end of 2 was going to be the catalyst of a new set of twisting turning events into the final batch of episodes, but no that was just the premise and the rest just felt like one long scene - and not even a good one.  How many times did they beat all the robots but actually no, there's more.  How many times did Sonic realise "wait... Nine is after ME for my energy!"  How many times did Nine frustratingly go "no, I need more power!" and draw additional power out of the beam in a way that suggested he was really pushing it/himself to the limit this time.  Guh.

Overall the most enjoyable part of the series for me was Shadow's characterisation.  I adore IDW Sonic and am so happy that it's canon, but even in that Shadow feels a little limited and overly hostile.  Shadow felt reasonably justified at the times where he was hostile and pragmatic in an on-point way the rest of the time, just right.  I'd love for his VA here to get the role in the games too.

Anyway, what a bummer to know now that the show peaked with the hilarious "casually avoiding the rotating death beam that nobody is doing anything about while trying to have a conversation" scene so early on.

• Thumbs Up 3

Finished Season 3 as well, which aside from making the other shard variants not from New Yolk finally act a bit more like the character they are based on and a nice cameo from Gemerl, (Its so weird Emerl is beating Silver and Blaze for cartoon adaptions) did nothing to really fix its continuity issues as promised. I've seen people try to suggest the Gemerl scene is suggesting Prime takes place after Advance 3 but that makes no sense due to Orbot and Cubot. As such I'm going to continue to take the advice I was given earlier and throw this show into fanon discontinuity. The ending was also confusing, the shard variants need to cease to exist for the residents of Green Hill to come back but Nine was able to restore it anyway, only for time to be reset before the shard spaces were created when Sonic and Shadow do get back. So are the shard variants gone or not? While its not the worst Sonic cartoon, its such a shame the show squandered it's potential.

Sonic's new yolk shoes didn't have a "special move" did they?

Huh.... considering that is a toy selling point that is an odd oversight.

11 hours ago, The Swordsman said:

Finished Season 3 as well, which aside from making the other shard variants not from New Yolk finally act a bit more like the character they are based on and a nice cameo from Gemerl, (Its so weird Emerl is beating Silver and Blaze for cartoon adaptions) did nothing to really fix its continuity issues as promised. I've seen people try to suggest the Gemerl scene is suggesting Prime takes place after Advance 3 but that makes no sense due to Orbot and Cubot. As such I'm going to continue to take the advice I was given earlier and throw this show into fanon discontinuity. The ending was also confusing, the shard variants need to cease to exist for the residents of Green Hill to come back but Nine was able to restore it anyway, only for time to be reset before the shard spaces were created when Sonic and Shadow do get back. So are the shard variants gone or not? While its not the worst Sonic cartoon, its such a shame the show squandered it's potential.

Unfortunately if we're to consider the presence of Orbot and Cubot to be some damning point of hard, intangible evidence, the Advance 3 scene can't really mean anything either, considering Gemerl explodes with the mech at the end of the scene because they clearly just used the sprite without even noticing the little face on it had any kind of narrative significance.

Really, Orbot and Cubot have this real "have always been around" energy to them that makes it easy enough to assume they just don't attend every single adventure with Eggman and Colours just happens to be the first time Eggman promoted them to some sort of significant duty / Sonic met them directly.

Granted, I am fully of the camp that just - Ian's words were blown directly out of proportion.  I too got swept up in the narrative that the ending of the series would do something that significantly pinpoints its place in canon, then when I went back and read his original quotes they turned out to be WAY more of "I can't say anything about that and I'm trying to be nice about it because I recognise I'm being considered a represenative of the brand here" vibes.

The actual answer is that the show's creators don't care how it fits in, and so, like the two worlds thing from a while back, until Prime's events get acknowledged by the games or IDW, I'm not caring about it either.

Edited by JezMM
  • Thumbs Up 2