Awoo.

The Pokémanz Thread

ovarloard

Things we can probably rule out:

- Detective Pikachu: This Direct is also happening in Japan. They wouldn't need a Direct for an English localisation.

- Pokemon Go: If it does show up, it won't be the focus. If I recall Nintendo is not heavily involved with Go, so it wouldn't make sense for a sponsored presentation of theirs to focus on it.

- Pokken: They wouldn't do a Direct for the sake of more Pokken news; it could show up in some capacity, but with only five minutes to use it's unlikely.

All signs point to this being a reveal for a new game. The Direct starts at midnight in Japan, marking the exact start of Pokemon's 20th Anniversary, 27th February. I expect a trailer reveal, similarly to how X/Y's reveal was handled. Could be Z, could be a bigger 20th Anniversary project. 

I'm honestly expecting the Gen 1 3DS ports to be promoted to hell and back. I'm also expecting Pokken news as well since it is coming out next month.

Maybe something a little extra like a new game announcement if we're lucky.

They wouldn't bother to make a freaking Direct for just a VC Release Reminder or just another Pokken fighter.

They want everyone to have their eyes on Pokemon on that date. It's going to be a new game. Almost no doubt about it.

Oh wait hold up the 27th is this Saturday, when Pokemon Day officially begins in Japan right?

Well scratch what I said earlier Z is definitely on the cards for this 5 minute long Direct now. At least taking ample time out of it. We could still get a brief note on Pokken Tournament and as the wild card Go.

...Man I been losing track of time recently.

• Thumbs Up 1

Looks like we're getting Generation VII then! Pokemon Sun & Moon, here we come!

pokemon_sun_moon.jpg

I also sure hope we get some teeny tiny snippets of Pokken Tournament and Detective Pikachu news during tomorrow's Direct, even though I doubt it with the tight 5 minute time limit.

13 minutes ago, Detective Indigo said:

Details have been leaked through an anonymous source within Nintendo:

Hide contents

There will be 3 starter Pokemon, a grass one, a fire one, and a water one

There are going to be 8 gyms, each with a unique type as it's theme

You will have a new rival to compete with

There's an evil organization who uses Pokemon to do their bidding and you need to stop them

There's a fat guy in the starter town who is always amazed by technology

You confront a legendary Pokemon at around the second half of the game

silly indigo, you shouldn't believe every rumor you read about

The Nintendo account is a parody, but the trademark filing exists:

https://oami.europa.eu/eSearch/#details/trademarks/015148919

So unless someone is skilled enough to masquerade as Nintendo, the game exists.

--- --- ---
EDIT:
When you click on the link, it defaults to the main page. Oops.

Just go there and search "Pokemon", and you'll find both Sun and Moon after Rumble World.

*adjusts detective hat*

To be honest, if those News really are true (which seems super likely at this point), I'm not too happy about them.

I didn't like Kalos, like, at all. It was honestly the most boring Gen ever for me. The Story was horribly paced, Team Flare was pretty lame, the 'friends' were annoying, there was a servere lack of new Pokemon, the engine seemed pretty unpolished, and the games were painfully easy. They added a ton of small little touches that I really liked (Pokemon Ami, customizing your trainer, riding Pokemon, the Supertraining, etc.) but the meat of the game was just so freaking boring.

And that's exactly why I wanted Z: I wanted GameFreak to take a look at X and Y again and analyze what worked well and what didn't. Most of the stuff I had gripes with didn't even seem like that hard of a fix: Multiple Difficulty Settings, polishing of the gameplay and Story/Character adjustments were all things they did in the third Version/sequels in the past, so I really, REALLY hoped they would've done the same Thing with X and Y.

But now it seems like they just looked at the games and went "Welp, that was something." and just...dropped them. And that kind of bums me out. I wanted a Pokemon Z, hoping that with some more time and effort, they could win me over and make Kalos a region I could truly enjoy. But that Chance seems to be gone now, meaning that Kalos might forever stay a lame experience for me, at least until the eventual Remakes arrive. Shame.

• Thumbs Up 3

A Pokemon Generation has NEVER gone without a third version,  it just seems really weird to me that they'd break tat trend  now 

8 minutes ago, Soniman said:

A Pokemon Generation has NEVER gone without a third version,  it just seems really weird to me that they'd break tat trend  now 

Didn't Gen 5 went without a third version? All that gen had were Black & White and Black & White 2.

10 minutes ago, Soniman said:

If by third version you mean the traditional 'superior' version ala JPN Blue, Crystal, Emerald, etc? I feel like then B2W2 wouldn't fit in that mood since those are more or les direct sequels to their beginning pair of games. So by that I think that trend has already been broken.

So the trademarks are real enough eh? It could be a way to cover bases....but have they ever trademarked additional names with actual logos? 

Also, I dunno know of this chart would makes sense given the events here but I do find it a bit interesting. It was taken from that Pokemon Go press conference if I recall correctly:

x8qptCe.jpg

With the exception of the transition between Gen 3 & 4 and from 4 to 5 that generation debut pair of releases and the next have generally been a span of three years roughly. Even then, since there was a four years span between those aforementioned generations. 

What makes this interesting even more so to me is that even though we got that new Mythical Pokemon Magearna we still have those Zygarde forms, which definitely could have hinted to that 'Z' version we've been expecting to get.

4 minutes ago, Ming Ming Kanon said:

Didn't Gen 5 went without a third version? All that gen had were Black & White and Black & White 2.

This is correct.

So instead of a singular 3rd game, you got 2 games. Trade in one game to get two! How nice of them!

11 minutes ago, Soniman said:

B/w broke the tradition of just pne third version so maybe xy won't have a third 

I find it hard to believe we won't be getting a third. Zygarde gets several new forms, and they aren't going to be featured in a refined third version? That sounds ridiculous to me. 

Yeah, I think whoever made that was just very good at looking professional. There's no way they'd make a new gen already. It's too soon. Pokemon Z has to happen. I mean, the writing's everywhere. The Pokemon Zygarde. The anime season, XY&Z. Plus every gen had its own little sequel. Pomemon Blue, Crystal, Emerald, Platinum, B2&W2. It wouldn't make sense to skip the very obvious Z.

And really, this could be my personal bias but I really enjoyed the X&Y games. They were so close to being the perfect Pokemon games to me. I was hoping with the New 3DS they could make Z and make the controls similar to ORAS with the free running, minimize or even get rid of any framerate drops when in 3D, polish up the models a bit. Just tweak it and optimise it to make it a fantastic game. There's so much potential and I really want to see more of Kalos. Plus seeing the new clothing options would be nice, ha. 

X&Y to me are the weakest generational debut pair that I've played, and for reasons I'm sure people here and elsewhere have been stated before. Even with the new mechanics of Mega Evolution and PSS overall the games felt like a regression of sorts after the more challenging Sinnoh games and more story driven Unova games. Which is why I too am hoping for Z as THE definitive Kalos experience.

• Thumbs Up 1

Nintendo has filed trademarks for Pokemon Sun and Pokemon Moon in European trademark databases, including logos for the games.

While it’s remotely possible these could be placeholders, Junichi Masuda Tweeted a photo of the moon last week, mentioning that it was out the same time as the sun. In light of these official trademark filings, this seems to be more than a coincidence. Also, previous game placeholders have never had official logos filed with them.

Aw snaps! 

Also previous game placeholders never had official logos filed with them

Junichi Masuda tweeted a photo of the moon last week, mentioning that it was out at the same time as the sun

The plot thickens.