Awoo.

Sonic the Hedgehog 4

Aquaslash

I have to say SA2 annoys me a lot, because of how the levels are so choked up with pits. The control is good in that game, but the camera wacks out only at the worst possible moments. It is also so linear every mistake is punished by instant death.

Also, easy Sonic games? Sonic Rush Adventure was piss easy but everyone bitched about that too. Even though the tone of the game feels more classic than nearly every Sonic game to come out in years :S

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't think I'd mind too terribly if there was a ranking system. That gives the game some replay value and a reason to put in some unlockables.

But let it be A-D, none of this "S" silliness. S doesn't come before A.

Sun and Moon Medals weren't an issue for most of the game and by the time you started collecting them rigorously it was only for extra stages. The Soleanna Medals were a much better format though. (Just so long as they serve a purpose)

Surely you jest. They were a pain in the ass to collect the medals just to progress. It was another large part of why I hated the 360 version of Unleashed.

Also, sorry, Tornado. :lol: Once again, you beat me to the argument. But I can say that the 1-Ups thing certainly is bullshit, it's a crutch for lazy design, there is NO game with good level design that pulls that kind of bullshit. Makes it slightly more bearable, sure, but still.

Edited by The Sniper

Surely you jest. They were a pain in the ass to collect the medals just to progress. It was another large part of why I hated the 360 version of Unleashed.

Also, sorry, Tornado. :lol: Once again, you beat me to the argument. But I can say that the 1-Ups thing certainly is bullshit, it's a crutch for lazy design, there is NO game with good level design that pulls that kind of bullshit. Makes it slightly more bearable, sure, but still.

Blue Blood was talking about the Wii version.

I don't mind ranks. Especially when seeing Sonic's reaction to your rank. However emblems need to never, EVER come back.

HOLAS:

Rankings kinda ruins the fun for me, for some reason, I often feel like I am forced to get a good rank in a level D:, but if this was optional (like a time/score attack mode), I wouldn't have any problem with that (and I loved the Unleashed's E rank song). :)

That made me think, are we going to see the return of the ten minutes limit? (since this is classic sonic and all that stuff)

I mean, even with the ranks, I'm sure some people could still fool around in the levels as much as they wanted since that time limit wasn't around taking out their precious lives, what do you think?

EDIT: About the ranking thing

that's your problem, not Sega's.

You are right, and I never intended to say it was Sega's fault ;)

Edited by christmasrafan

However emblems need to never, EVER come back.
Relevant question: why? It certaintly keeps the completionists happy, and I don't see it getting in the way of anyone else's fun.

Rankings kinda ruins the fun for me, for some reason, I often feel like I am forced to get a good rank in a level D:, but if this was optional (like a time/score attack mode), I wouldn't have any problem with that (and I loved the Unleashed's E rank song). :)
I was under the impression rankings were already optional in the first place, in that, you know, you never actually needed a specific rank to progress. And turning them off entirely in specific modes is a right pain in the ass in certain situations, particularly when you actually beat your personal best only to find it won't register unless you play the level again in a completely seperate menu. Take Smash Bros: Melee for instance, where the Break The Targets levels showed up in Classic mode yet they didn't register your times even if you completely trashed your previous records. I mean, it's not like the game is actually forcing you to get high ranks at all - if your sense of pride is getting in the way, that's your problem, not Sega's.

I never understood the rankings hate. At most, I found them to be fairly annoying (Rush Adventure), but for the most part I just ignore them.

Yeah Tornado, its funny how Sonic 2 is one of the most beloved titles in the fandom and outside it. I hope PNM dosent look to Sonic 2 in the respect to object/enemy/ placement...

• Thumbs Up 1

the emblem collecting/ranking systems are completely optional rewards for skilled players. I don't see how it's a bad thing unless you hate being rewarded for your efforts or something

I don't mind ranks. Especially when seeing Sonic's reaction to your rank. However emblems need to never, EVER come back.

Why not? They add replay value and fun to the game, without emblems I would have been done with SA2 in a couple of weeks, as opposed to about 2 years.

Damn straight I really don't mind emblems, ranking and medal collecting as long as I'm not forced to collect XX amount of medals or emblem to keep on going.

Tho it would be kinda cool that depending on our ranking, we either recieve a bronze, silver or golden emblem:

E/D = bronze

C/B = silver

A = gold

And with those we automaticly unlock stuff or we can buy stuff from the Old school market (just tought of a name like that for a shop), somehow like in MASATWOG.

The most valuable medals we collect the better unlocks we get:

Classic music from the old sonic games

Artwork of some zones

Artwork of the classic badniks

All the artwork of all the classic characters (starting from their 1st drawing of Sonic aka The Needlemouse!!)

And loads more clssical stuff.

What did the classic games gave us as unlocks? Super Sonic, Hyper Sonic (S3&K exclusive), real ending scene, Last boss and stage select (if you didn't use the cheat yet...)

Since this game is for retro fans like myself, tho I like both genre, they could give us more classic stuff to unlock, no?

Tho it would be kinda cool that depending on our ranking, we either recieve a bronze, silver or golden emblem:
I don't see any point in having both letter rankings and medals if they're doing exactly the same thing.

Anyway, like I say every time this comes up, I support the rankings, I think they're a good way to extend the replay value, and I still don't understand why some people feel so pressured by them.

I don't see any point in having both letter rankings and medals if they're doing exactly the same thing.

Anyway, like I say every time this comes up, I support the rankings, I think they're a good way to extend the replay value, and I still don't understand why some people feel so pressured by them.

It's really annoying when you decide to take your time and explore a level... and then the game tells you you aren't doing something right and Sonic hangs his head in shame. It's similar to someone were to challenge you to a competition you don't care about and then pronounce himself the winner when he finishes whatever it was he was doing.

Edited by Phos

It's really annoying when you decide to take your time and explore a level... and then the game tells you you aren't doing something right and Sonic hangs his head in shame.

So Sonic should feel good that he decided to neglect his heroics and take a scenic stroll through Apotos? A SLOW Stroll?

Seriously, its like complaining that you were on the receiving end of a headshot from a sniper in Halo while you were just checking out a piece of the architecture. Or being sad that some big meanie kicked you from your perch in Uncharted when you only intended to get a better view.

If you want to admire the game, than do it. Graphics are pretty and the attention to detail is nice, but complaining that a game casts your performance in a negative light when you decide to do the exact opposite of what is intended is downright fool-hearty.

Its not even like the game records your worst time or anything. The E rank isn't even a punishment. Its just an incentive to speed it up on your next run. (In fact, in Unleashed you could call it a reward because it comes with that awesome broken jingle)

That's a pretty bad comparison. You can't compare a platformer like Sonic to a shooter like Halo or Uncharted... And then there's the old sarcastic adage "If X does something, that make's it OK". Just because Uncharted does something one thing or another doesn't make it the right thing for everything else, it doesn't even mean it's the right thing for Uncharted.

If you want to admire the game, than do it. Graphics are pretty and the attention to detail is nice, but complaining that a game casts your performance in a negative light when you decide to do the exact opposite of what is intended is downright fool-hearty.

So, you're saying the whole game should be a giant time attack?

That's a pretty bad comparison. You can't compare a platformer like Sonic to a shooter like Halo or Uncharted... And then there's the old sarcastic adage "If X does something, that make's it OK". Just because Uncharted does something one thing or another doesn't make it the right thing for everything else, it doesn't even mean it's the right thing for Uncharted.

Its a plenty apt comparison. Other videogames can PUNISH behavior that is not directly related to the basic point of the game. You brought up the fact the ranking system gives you a slight tap on the wrist for not playing the game. Seems like crying over spilled milk to me. No wait... a drop of spilled milk.

Platformer, Shooter, they are all games. You cant expect negative behavior (in the game sense at least) to be rewarded. Enjoy the scenery, but don't bash the game for bashing you in return.

So, you're saying the whole game should be a giant time attack?

Far from it. What I am saying is that I do not expect to be rewarded for spending 2 1/2 hours gawking at the scenery in Adabat and neither should you. I expect to get a bad grade in a Sonic game for going ridiculously slow as much as I would expect to get sniped for standing still in an open field in any shooter.

How I play the game is my choice, and there is nothing stopping me from taking my trooper down headshot ally, but listing the fact that I am punished for going off on a tangent from the core gameplay as a legitimate criticism is ridiculous.

Needlmouse could do well with the rankings. In today's competitive heavy world, I doubt Score and that 10 min time limit are going to cut it. Its an inverse cycle too. For all the people whom feel bad with D's and E's, remember how great it is when you get that first S rank.

It really works both ways. If X does something, that doesn't always make it right for another, but ironically that doesn't make it wrong either unless it's somehow impossible to do.

If Uncharted, or Halo, or some other game like Ratchet and Clank does something, there's nothing that says it's wrong for anyone else to do it. They don't have to do it, but there's no rule telling them not to. That is unless whatever is about to do it can adopt it to fit into their style of play.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

Blue Blood was talking about the Wii version.

Blue Blood was talking about the 360 version. I never had any trouble collecting them to progress (was only 3 medals short to get into Jungle Joyride Day). You shouldn't need to collect anything to progress within the game though, which is why I preferred the Soleanna medals. They had the best format-

10 bronze medals = 1 silver medal (bronze medals only in missions)

All silver medals in a stage/town = 1 gold medal

An S rank = 1 gold medal

All gold medals = Fuck all...

Collecting everything should give you a brilliant reward. A brilliant reward being a new stage or character, not clothes. (Metal Sonic in SADX was just clothes really)

Edited by Blue Blood

Far from it. What I am saying is that I do not expect to be rewarded for spending 2 1/2 hours gawking at the scenery in Adabat and neither should you. I expect to get a bad grade in a Sonic game for going ridiculously slow as much as I would expect to get sniped for standing still in an open field in any shooter.

And you aren't...

S3K007.jpg

Of particular interest is the thing that says "Time Bonus".

If there are going to be medels at least make them optional...and useful.

Like the Precursor Orbs in the Jak and Daxter series. In no way are you required to collect them to progress, but if you do collect them and get a certain number of them you can unlock bonus features of the game, like infinite ammo, infinite Dark Jak, infinite Light Jak, Invincibility, etc.

But other than that, I'm not one who sees the point in having medals if there's nothing to do like they did in Sonic 06...unless I completely missed their usefulness.

And you aren't...

S3K007.jpg

Of particular interest is the thing that says "Time Bonus".

You're not really penalized with a bad grade in that game, you just don't get a lot of points the longer you hang around. However, there is a 10 min time limit that really sets it apart from Sonic Unleashed which has absolutely no time limit at all.

That, and Unleashed's levels has a lot to look at while Sonic 3's levels had a lot you could do as there's not really much to gawk at in terms of the visuals compared to Unleashed.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

I'm totally fine with rankings, although I won't mind if they're deemed too "new-school" for the flavour of the game. I like the slight challenge they offer, but they're hardly essential.

I do enjoy things like missions, medals and collectible items, though; they add quite a bit of replay value to the game. It's unnecessary replay value, maybe, but I got a lot more out of Rush Adventure's missions than I normally might have just so I could unlock all of the movies and sounds. Attaching certain movies/sounds to certain missions was just brutal, though; I'd prefer a points system of some kind that would let you buy the stuff from a store.

HOLAS:

BTW I already asked this before but it seems like people was just paying attention to my rant about rankings D:

Do you think we are going to have the return of the 10 minutes limit? I cant remeber if there were a limit in the Rush series...

I do enjoy things like missions, medals and collectible items, though; they add quite a bit of replay value to the game. It's unnecessary replay value, maybe, but I got a lot more out of Rush Adventure's missions than I normally might have just so I could unlock all of the movies and sounds. Attaching certain movies/sounds to certain missions was just brutal, though; I'd prefer a points system of some kind that would let you buy the stuff from a store.

I thought that too, I think that would make points something usefull for once (yeah, I know points gave you lifes in the classics, but is not enough for me :P ).

That or have some leaderboards so you can brag about your scores. :D