Awoo.

Team Sonic Racing - Upcoming Sonic Racing Game

Ryannumber1gamer

Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy, Eggman, and twenty-five random avatar-created characters. My profile picture and Lewis Hamilton are unlockable characters.

Seriously though, how can you do unpredictable with the roster short of bringing in obscure minority characters? I suppose you mean more bringing Bean, Bark, Nack, and anyone who isn't the Heroes Majority into the roster. If they want to reach out further for characters, Boom and the IDW comics supposedly wouldn't be out of the question.

• Promotion 1

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/189706-nintendo-switch/76571076/900653271

So this is now proven real (thanks to Nintendo's Switch Online details revealed today), looks like we can also count on the Sonic Racing details there too. Sonic (and a few others like prob Shadow) will be running on his feet while the others will be using vehicles.

The few announced details which coincide with that alleged leak were by and large things we already knew, and it also has some notable holes (GBA game provision, for instance, is nowhere in sight); furthermore, the game's title being "Super Sonic Racing" was debunked months ago by a source apparently considered reliable.  A pinch of salt needed.

• Thumbs Up 5

There is something that supports this theory, both vehicle and on foot: it's called Project R, and Sonic R did have both runners and racers on vehicles. So there is that clue...

Honestly, the whole "Sonic R 2" thing is kinda impossible. R sold poorly, and I'm almost positive that the R in the title is just a nostalgia reference thingy.

I mean, I can take Sonic riding a motorcycle or his Extreme Gear, but foot racing against vehicles is just... Odd. Sonic All Stars Racing had that during it's development, but it was scrapped, and I don't see any reason for Sumo Digital to revive that old concept.

• Thumbs Up 4

46 minutes ago, A person, that exists said:

Honestly, the whole "Sonic R 2" thing is kinda impossible. R sold poorly, and I'm almost positive that the R in the title is just a nostalgia reference thingy.

I mean, I can take Sonic riding a motorcycle or his Extreme Gear, but foot racing against vehicles is just... Odd. Sonic All Stars Racing had that during it's development, but it was scrapped, and I don't see any reason for Sumo Digital to revive that old concept.

So racing in foot can't be done again cuz Sonic R didn't do well?

3 minutes ago, JosepHenry said:

No, not at all, if ALL the characters were foot racing.

It's just that if Sumo Digital thought that racing on foot against vehicles would look weird during SASR's development, then I'm pretty sure they wouldn't bring it back after the previous Sonic racing games sold pretty well and got good reviews without it.

• Thumbs Up 5

I'm pretty sure the specified reason they didn't go along with that was actually more for hitbox reasons than aesthetic reasons, as that would leave them either with on foot racers being much harder to hit than cars or with hitboxes disproportionately larger than their actual model to compensate.

Now that being said:

maxresdefault.jpg

Amy's car in Sonic R isn't actually that much bigger than the other racers is it? If they went for a more stylized / chibi look like Sonic R did I could imagine them mitigating a sizeable amount of both issues. In the past this wasn't possible because characters tended to be introduced to the All Stars series with their own proportions and artstyles almost completely intact. Given that they're dealing only in one franchise, and by consequence one artstyle, I think it'd give them a lot more room to reign this in than they would've had before.

Of course, they probably aren't going to be doing this anyway because the teaser made it pretty clear this was going to be a car based game. Oh well.

• Thumbs Up 6

Yeah, it's possible the reason the first piece of marketing this game got (i.e the teaser trailer showing us shots of a vehicle accompanied with engine noises) was chosen to dispel potential speculation that this was going to be an on foot racer in any capacity. Time'll tell. ^_^

2 hours ago, JosepHenry said:

If we're going by that logic Sonic shouldn't have another racing game because Sonic Drift 2 didn't do well. 

• Thumbs Up 2

I wouldn't mind at all having another racing game like the first S&SASR. I'd rather just have only the kart aspect being worked in order to update and polish it instead of the development team having to divert resources on the other two vehicles modes from Transformed.

Likewise, I'm definitively against on-foot racing since we kind of get that already with the modern games that feel like (limited) racing games mixed with platforming.

One thing I'd love would be to feature alternate paths that, just like in the Sonic games, rely on reflexes/skill to reach. Another thing that could be done is to feature scripted events that take place during certain laps to alter the main course, if not creating new ones so that the racing can feel a bit more like an adventure.

As for characters, besides the usual (Sonic, Tails, Amy, Eggman, Knuckles, Shadow and Metal) it would be nice to see the others get some much needed love, even if it's on a spinoff. I really would like to play as Big again just for how hilarious it is to make people ragequit to him. The Chaotix would have to be included in a single vehicle since I really can't picture them competing on their own or against each other... Maybe that vehicle from Heroes could be use for them as that game was pretty much their reintroduction. 

Also, please, don't make the vehicles be the same color of the character's fur/main color, as it looks like they are blending in. If there is something the Drift games did right, was giving the characters contrasting colors... And speaking of Drift, it would be cool if there were Classic skins for Sonic, Tails, Amy, Eggman and Knuckles.

Well... That's Sonic's quill and a checkered flag behind it. Not much else to say, EXCEPT WHERE'S THE TRAILER?

With today's announcement of Rage 2, it does feel like with E3 only a month away, we're going to start to see game companies begin to hype up their games for the footage that could show up at E3.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

1 hour ago, Jack the Maniac said:

What is the meaning of "ASST"?

It'll just mean assortment, since they're selling the toys in bulk (like an entire box of LEGO minifigure blind-bags) rather than selling them as individual toys like you'd buy off the shelf.

1 hour ago, Marco9966 said:

Why does this game has less news than Sonic Mania DLC??

Because it releases later than the Mania DLC. 

Same thing happened last year to Forces.

• Thumbs Up 7

I remember when a lot of us were upset that Forces wouldn't show us a lot of stuff. Turns out that wasn't the case. There just wasn't a lot to show.

• Thumbs Up 7
  • Chuckle 1

Nobody has really considered that it might be an early 2019 title.

There's still time for it to come out this year, since Sonic games are usually announced at the tail end of may, but it could easy be pushed to next year

Honestly, I think they're just waiting for E3. That's what I'd do.

• Thumbs Up 3