Awoo.

Team Sonic Racing - Upcoming Sonic Racing Game

Ryannumber1gamer

I do not want the transformation gimmick to come back, nor do I think they'll do the character type thing again since Riders did it already. While I did bring up the idea of it pinching CNK's team mechanic, I would actually not be surprised this was closer to a "pure" kart racer, more akin to the original S&SASR than anything (minus the all-star thing). 

Transformed was one of the best kart games to date. If they could take advantage of the 1x and pro I'd love to see vastly larger stages and more stage altering events depending on what's hit.

On 3/17/2018 at 7:44 PM, Jango said:

Hard Boiled Heavies playable. Because YES, Heavy Rider was born for this.

You mean,  made?  They're bots after all... 

Transforming has been already done so let's leave it at that game, but there is definitely some gimmick in this game, otherwise it will be a generic kart racer, I doubt they can market that.

I don't want it to be a crossover game with other SEGA characters.

Because I want it to be a new SONIC game that I can enjoy, with an acceptable story (a la Riders), without Classic Sonic.

29 minutes ago, SaberX said:

Then you better be ready for some cheese moments, lame dialogues and terrible plot, because thats what we get from the current writters.

I love cheesy moments and terrible writing in my Sonic games, I would expect no less.

1 minute ago, Marco9966 said:

Why? There would be no story or interaction between Sonic characters.

I like games other than Sonic, dude. I really wanted to see Billy Hatcher return, and representation from other series that haven't had a playable character yet like Puyo Puyo. I can get story and interaction between Sonic characters in their own games.

I'm sure this game will be fun and I'm interested in seeing more info for it (here's hoping Studiopolis is a track), but I don't really want it if it means the All-Stars series ends. That's my main worry right now.

• Thumbs Up 1

I liked the Riders games because we got a story with all Sonic characters playable. (It's our only opportunity to have a fun story with all characters playable, unlike the recent Sonic-only games like the purists like).

Being a Sonic-only story doesn't mean we can't have also other SEGA characters like Billy Hatcher in a non-story mode.

Many SEGA characters were playable in Sonic Riders as bonus characters.

It's a spin-off Sonic racing game. Why on earth would we look at the story as a priority? 

• Thumbs Up 5

6 minutes ago, Tracker_TD said:

It's a spin-off Sonic racing game. Why on earth would we look at the story as a priority? 

It doesnt even need to be a story, just have the character participate in the race to win the prize, but with cutscenes in between races and fun banters (Think Sonic Free Riders, or even the cutscenes that fill Sonic Heroes!)

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Marco9966 said:

It doesnt even need to be a story, just have the character participate in the race to win the prize, but with cutscenes in between races and fun banters (Think Sonic Free Riders, or even the cutscenes that fill Sonic Heroes!)

Alright.

But why does that require it to be a Sonic-only game? Why does the necessitate dropping the SEGA cast? In fact, wouldn't it be better to do something that's not been done in the games - a narrative in which all these different SEGA characters actually interact with one another?

• Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, Tracker_TD said:

Alright.

But why does that require it to be a Sonic-only game? Why does the necessitate dropping the SEGA cast? In fact, wouldn't it be better to do something that's not been done in the games - a narrative in which all these different SEGA characters actually interact with one another?

They already had that opportunity twice with the All Star Racing.

If so, then explain how they got together (a portal or whatever) or just have them as Bonus characters like in Sonic Riders

Just now, Marco9966 said:

They already had that opportunity twice with the All Star Racing.

If so, then explain how they got together (a portal or whatever) or just have them as Bonus characters like in Sonic Riders

And Sonic characters have already done that about six times. Plus the main series. And given ASR/ASRT didn't even have a story, I don't see how making it Sonic only suddenly means there'd be a story now anyway - different studio to the likes of Rivals and Riders, innit. But if there is one, surely it'd be better to do something new than more of the same old?

• Thumbs Up 3

They could introduce a new character that has a passion for cars and wants to beat Sonic in car racing. It'd be very cool to use an early concept art of Jet for this character! (The sketch of the lynx)

latest?cb=20180103074015

You see I'm starving for a minimum of lore after we got screwed by the half-written story of Sonic Forces and the disappointing villains and nostalgia pandering, I want my Modern Sonic and his gang in their own story, even if it's a fun filler one, better than a disappointing story that was supposed to be epic and also used Classic Sonic without regard to the story(Forces)

7 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

They could introduce a new character that has a passion for cars and wants to beat Sonic in car racing. It'd be very cool to use an early concept art of Jet for this character! (The sketch of the lynx)

latest?cb=20180103074015

You see I'm starving for a minimum of lore after we got screwed by the half-written story of Sonic Forces and the disappointing villains and nostalgia pandering, I want my Modern Sonic and his gang in their own story, even if it's a fun filler one, better than a disappointing story that was supposed to be epic and also used Classic Sonic without regard to the story(Forces)

What if they like

used the huge variety of characters demonstrated from the last 2 ASR games (moreso the first one) instead of making another massively situational, one-shot furry

Dang, that'd be novel

If story is really, somehow your priority, would it not make more sense to just wait for another mainline entry where the concept can likely be done more justice than Sonic Kart, with the structure of past Sumo titles in mind?

• Thumbs Up 2

36 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

Many SEGA characters were playable in Sonic Riders as bonus characters.

I've seen this point being thrown around, but IIRC they are Sonic Team characters specifically, not general Sega characters.

So like, Billy Hatcher or someone from Burning Rangers could be in as a bonus character, but nobody from Skies of Arcadia.

But yeah, even if characters are there, it would still be disappointing for me personally because there would most definitely be no tracks from House of the Dead, Jet Set Radio, etc. IDK, maybe I'm just coming off as entitled. Like I said, I just don't want the All-Stars series to end, and the developer behind it working on what is essentially the same game but trimming out one of the main selling points of the previous titles makes me worried that that is exactly what's happening here.

• Thumbs Up 3

11 minutes ago, R.C. said:

I've seen this point being thrown around, but IIRC they are Sonic Team characters specifically, not general Sega characters.

So like, Billy Hatcher or someone from Burning Rangers could be in as a bonus character, but nobody from Skies of Arcadia.

But yeah, even if characters are there, it would still be disappointing for me personally because there would most definitely be no tracks from House of the Dead, Jet Set Radio, etc. IDK, maybe I'm just coming off as entitled. Like I said, I just don't want the All-Stars series to end, and the developer behind it working on what is essentially the same game but trimming out one of the main selling points of the previous titles makes me worried that that is exactly what's happening here.

I think part of me would actually be more miffed about the loss of track variety than the characters, on reflection

• Thumbs Up 3

They can always make new tracks like Mario Kart does. I would not mind because I'm sick of Green Hill and Chemical Plant, but yeah other franchises throw in the same locations too, it's a matter of nostalgia because they could just make brand new stages even for spin-offs, Riders did it actually, kudos for that.

Not expecting a story mode out of this, I rather have a very refined and solid gameplay. Sumo should not waste their time writing and animating a story mode for this, especially because it's Sonic only and we already know how it's gonna be. If it was SEGA and Sonic on the other hand, then it'd be awesome, all the interactions between characters from different worlds. Static models and text bubbles is out of question too, it's lazy as fuck, I rather not have any story at all if they're going this route.

Hopefully this game will have a SEGA themed level like the first Riders games. SEGA Carnival in the original Riders was easily the best course and had the best music in the game. It was sweet.

• Thumbs Up 2

6 minutes ago, SaberX said:

But thats also the good points about ASR series. We can aways count on some diversity of stages.

Transformed. The original All-Stars had like what, 7 tropes? 4 of them being Sonic >.> 

It was pretty samey. Transformed tho', what a wonderful delight of stages. The Skies of Arcadia course was just HMMMMM

1 hour ago, Marco9966 said:

Anyone really care about that when in the rare instances game franchises cross over?

• Thumbs Up 1

I personally wouldn't want a story for a story's sake, but I do wish we could get a new, fully original racing game starring the Sonic cast for once. Brand new locations, a new aesthetic, new gameplay mechanics and feel, and yeah, a new story mode, as silly as it could be, would go a long way to selling me on a new racer for the franchise.

I mean the alternative we're expecting is literally an All-stars racing clone without half the roster in the first place. A patent downgrade. And are we really clamoring to see all these old Sonic zones again! when we're so oversaturated with nostgia pandering in the first place?

... I know I'm not.

• Thumbs Up 4