Awoo.

Team Sonic Racing - Upcoming Sonic Racing Game

Ryannumber1gamer

I don't think any character outside Sonic franchise will make it to the roster, but it would be a beautiful nod including an unlockable Ristar, as Ristar was born after Sonic's initial concepts.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, SKSpawn said:

I haven't really looked too deeply into the rest of this thread but how many racers do you guys think we'll see in this title?

I'm guessing we'll get all the usual suspects (Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy, Eggman, Metal Sonic, Shadow, and Rouge) but do you think we'll see Silver, Espio, Vector, and Charmy turn up as well? Or Cream (she hasn't been around for a while) and the Babylon Rogues?

Once upon a time things like this were easy to predict but it's difficult to tell with SEGA, who can never seem to make their minds up whether they want to acknowledge and include Sonic's friends or ditch them completely.

I'd like to see NiGHTS and Billy Hatcher come back as guest characters like in the Sonic Riders titles, and maybe chuck in Mighty, Ray, Nack/Fang, Bark, and Bean if possible, but do you think guys like Infinite and Chaos will show up at all?

I'd bet on anyone who appeared in the mobile Sonic Forces game,  minus Chaos cuz how the fuq would you make him work?

That would include Cream & Cheese and Blaze.

Alas, I think the producer of Sonic racing transformed mentioned a few times that Ristar looks bad from a behind perspective so he doesn't work in a 3d game.
Unless they'll give him a weird car where he sits sideways, I don't think Ristar will make it outside of a flagman role or background cameo.

As for my predictions, I think it's most likely they try to be cheap and only use character models they can recycle from previous games, so I only expect the Forces/ Lost world and maybe Generation cast to show up. Maybe Jet/ Wave/ Storm will show up if recycling their models from Free Riders works.

At least it'll be nice if the Avatar shows up again, kind of a waste to invest all this time unlocking clothes and gadgets for your character, only to have him be stuck in only a handful of levels to play.

• Fist Bump 1

2 minutes ago, jgcatindig said:

I'd bet on anyone who appeared in the mobile Sonic Forces game,  minus Chaos cuz how the fuq would you make him work?

I mean if you can make Big work in a karting game (and on a bike no less) I'm not sure why Chaos is far fetched exactly. It would ultimately depend on the mechanics of the game in question but if we're talking about bog standard kart racing then all you really need is to put a character model in a car and you're good. =V

• Absolutely 2

I don't think they'd include Chaos but that's because he's not typically made playable to begin with, Forces was probably more an exception because he appears in-story and it wouldn't be fair to have the others that Eggman copied playable but not him.

Actually, that's a point too; technically, Chaos never actually turns up in Forces, he's only duplicated (somehow). So again, doubt they'd drag in the real one for normal cast-wide excursions in the current era. 

• Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, Shaddy the Zaphod said:

Or just don't bother with communication in general. In a team-based game like Splatoon I'm not a fan of the "try our stupid extender or get nothing" approach toward chat, but what necessitates it in a racing game where no coordination with teammates is needed? Nobody really complained about the online community in the last two Sonic racing games, I don't see any reason to fix what isn't broken.

I would say that voice coms should always be an option in a game.

Especially with a racing game. 

Whilst you might think "Why?" Well... character games have in the past had a few limitations to them.

E.g. no two players can have the same character per race.

There's also the issue of choice when it comes to tracks.

Also with previous ASR type games. There have been unlockable content tied to specific actions in game. There was even a trophy attached to winning a race with Sonic, Shadow, Knuckles and tails in the roster.

Trying to do this online utterly requires voice. Especially if the host has to close down the lobby or needs everybody to try to reconnect.

Whilst there are workarounds like group chat or party chat mode. That does mean a lot more messing around, much better to do it in game if possible.

4 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

Also with previous ASR type games. There have been unlockable content tied to specific actions in game. There was even a trophy attached to winning a race with Sonic, Shadow, Knuckles and tails in the roster.

Fuck this trophy BTW. Thankfully I'm not a major trophy hunter these days, but still, these kind of trophies are bullshit.

Normally in online game I mute everybody as soon as I can. Problem solved.

23 hours ago, Mayor D said:

Have a report player system. With a simple if statement.

"IF: X number of unique player ID'S report User Player ID.

THEN: auto mute their mic per lobby for 24 hours."

That way you can have a fully automated system which deals with people abusing chat, but does not deny them access to the game, furthermore it also allows them to be un-muted manually be other players should they wish.

For the record, this is something that's already done by platform services, game developers don't need to implement their own service for this (and really shouldn't be). With Xbox Live, for example, any player with sufficiently bad reputation will be muted by default for all other players in the same lobby.

... Actually it might be something only done by Xbox Live at this time (I'm completely unaware on what PSN does or even has). Although again for sanity reasons, it really needs to be something done on a platform level, because if the platform does add it later you would then have a duplicate system that has no relation to the other, confusing late players.

4 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

Actually it might be something only done by Xbox Live at this time (I'm completely unaware on what PSN does or even has). Although again for sanity reasons, it really needs to be something done on a platform level, because if the platform does add it later you would then have a duplicate system that has no relation to the other, confusing late players.

Reg PS3/PS4.

I... honestly cannot think of a game I've played where anyone has been talking or using the chat. In recent years.

From 2006 - 2011 it felt like everyone was on coms for every game by default. 

But ever since the PS4 was released I cannot think of a single game that had chat turned on by default.

I'm currently playing Star Trek online and it's got a huge user base. But the in game chat is virtually dead. And voice chat seems to be off by default (I'm sure it has it because when I join multiplayer games I can see the VOIP symbol for a few seconds as the game loads.

Voice chat is a good thing. It's fun talking to others about your day or I've heard some great nerd topics over the years. Fighting games usually have chat even though none is needed

This was called, as probably an unofficial working title, "Project R" by Aaron today during the stream!    It still felt very good to hear! 

• Thumbs Up 2

But they never reveal games at E3, it's always sooner, like in May, sometimes April, for game reveals, then it's E3 news and trailers. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

I think the selection of racers is pretty obvious. Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Metal Sonic and Amy are pretty sure-fire to be in. There are some possible wildcards, such as Chaos, that might have a chance due to their appearance and model in Forces.

I think the mystery is over the tracks more than anything else. I imagine they will be old levels, and it's pretty safe to assume Green Hill will be in it :P , probably Chemical Plant too. But I'm curious to see what other levels they will pick. Something from Heroes is possible due to that game getting a lot of appearances in All Stars Racing. I think Death Egg is probably likely too.

On 4/20/2018 at 6:22 AM, Jack the Maniac said:

But they never reveal games at E3, it's always sooner, like in May, sometimes April, for game reveals, then it's E3 news and trailers. 

Like Skylanders Imaginators and Sonic Boom Fire & Ice were both pre-E3 reveals, like a week or so in advance. But they were still considered E3 trailers.

It's interesting how so many people are assuming Green Hill is in when Green Hill hasn't been in a Sonic racing game since Sonic Drift. But it might be because this is the first Sonic-centric car racing game SINCE the Drift games that people are assuming as much.

Regardless, I'd honestly like to see something else from Sonic 1 like Spring Yard or Star Light, if only because Sonic 1 never really gets anything else besides Green Hill represented in spin-offs and crossovers and I think that kinda sucks.

6 hours ago, R.C. said:

It's interesting how so many people are assuming Green Hill is in when Green Hill hasn't been in a Sonic racing game since Sonic Drift.

True, but this is the first Sonic racing game since the MEMBER GREEN HILL ZONE?!?!?! Era of Sonic  kicked off, from Sonic Generations on.
Well okay, we had All stars transformed first, but that one had the gimmick that all track themes from the first game returned. So it was already stuck with Seaside Hill Zone. Which is pretty much Green Hill Zone 2.0 anyway.

This game is free from obligations, so can do anything it wants in a wide ocean of endless possibilities. As such, we all expect Green Hill Zone to show up because the last few games made us horribly cynical.

A Springyard Zone racetrack would be neat.
Heck, if I was a designer, and forced to do a Green Hill Zone track, I'd try to be cute and make a full South Island track with several zones represented in one.
But that's too ambitious, probably.
Then again, maybe the gimick of this tracing game is that it has more of an open world design instead of small tracks, then anything is possible.

Altough to be honest, looking at how haphazard the returning zones are used with little to no thought of their original geographical locations, I sometimes wonder if South Island and such are still canon, or that Sonic's world now litteraly resembles what we saw in Generations and Mania's opening, just self contained abstract shapes floating in space.

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Nice Smile 1

Y'all really need to chill out sometimes. (For the record, that's re: hidden posts.)

Speaking of chilling out, I still don't really see a problem if this game has Green Hill. I get why people are tired of it in the main series or whatever, but I'm actually surprised it isn't in spin offs all the time. It just seems like a really obvious inclusion.

Dunno if anyone mentioned this yet, but watch this game end up a sonic dash clone with cars and pretty graphics lol.

On 23/04/2018 at 8:34 AM, Roger_van_der_weide said:

Then again, maybe the gimick of this tracing game is that it has more of an open world design instead of small tracks, then anything is possible.

You know, that never occured to me. An open world racing game for Sonic would be a bit of a first, because I'm pretty sure that we've never had a true open world Sonic title. Granted, we've seen hub worlds pop up in Adventure 1, '06, Unleashed, but a game where all the zones and layouts are actually attached to each other in a coherent world would be pretty fun. Going from say Green Hill to Lava Reef to Ice Cap to Pumpkin Hill etc in a bright colourful world would be a treat for the eyes. But I imagine the most likely thing is that this is going to be a standard kart racer. I can't help but think we'll be lucky if we will even get a story mode frankly at the risk of being cynical.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'd love to race through Soleanna. If only so I could be vindictive and crash through the buildings and destroy the place.

I'm the actual Iblis Trigger bitches.

• Chuckle 3

Sincerely, I'd be genuinely more impressed by the game if it was allowed to have a more idiosyncratic, unpredictable roster and course line-up rather than just going through the motions the way we're mostly expecting.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1