Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - DADDY SAKURAI'S WILD RIDE HAS CONCLUDED

Sonictrainer

2 hours ago, KHCast said:

The controversy online over the 10/5 date of the present is really fucking ridiculous. You got the Nick All Stars community demanding people protest watching the stream, talking about it, etc, and just focus on their game, while attacking Sakurai, and claiming he’s a shitty AAA dev…and then you have the smash community + Nintendo defenders shitting on Nick’s game and saying that game isn’t actually good, and is just being fueled by nostalgia and acting like Nintendo can’t be shit. Like…in reality I don’t think the Sakurai presents is going to hurt nicks game, most casuals don’t watch these directs to begin with, and I assume a majority of the people interested in Nicks game have it pre ordered. The game will likely still get lots of publicity and coverage by streamers and the like. A good chunk of those players enjoy both games, so there’s no harm I feel in watching and discussing both NASB and the final character. That said, I definitely think this could have been intentional by Nintendo, and if it was done to try and draw attention away from NASB, that’s a bit petty, especially when smash was never in any real danger 

He isn't a Nick All-Star's person... he's a Melee pro who's petty about Ultimate.  Despite being a 35 year-old leader of the community, he has such mature takes as unironically using the sword argument to say people should be spamming Nintendo instead of being happy about Sephiroth:

E_NidSFXsAAHnbD.png

He doesn't even play Ultimate, and much like what the competitive Melee community did back after the Brawl community helped them get into EVO, he's trying to bury the Ultimate community (It isn't even a big secret that this happened back then).  He's what I call a "Melee elitist," and the fact this 35 year-old manchild is able to act like he's a hormonal teenager in a Twitch chat just because he's good at Smash is beyond frustrating.

• Thumbs Up 7

Clearly this guys' not one to think things through outside of his perspective. So he's petitioning the people fight against Nintendo by buying a game with characters owned by Viacom?

...You know, the corporation known for being oh so trigger happy with pulling any footage of their property off the BoobTube? Who went as far as to take them to court over it (and lost)? Yet were hesitant to provide efficient online streaming alternatives till only recently? Not to mention Nick driving their golden sea sponge to the ground and places his late creator didn't want him to go, on top of other times when they treat their shows and their crews like dirt- I could go on.

Nickelodeon ain't a saint when put right next to Nintendo in any other situation. But all that's okay, because they've totally never burn bridges with it's community before, they don't can big fan gatherings despite having the right to prohibit tampered pirated copies of their old games we refuse to give up for any inferior sequel or alternative, and Steve senpai still notices me 😍

This "campaign" is no more effective than those dime a dozen "fan" petitions off of Change.org, don't bet on it phasing the Big Red N in the slightest. These propagandists had countless other platform mascot fighters they could've seeked out the moment Nintendo gotten dirty; did any of them end up becoming the "Smash Killer"? No. It's a knee-slapper this guy believes Nick All Star Brawl will be any different.

True, I'd wish Nintendo would put Melee on Switch Online just to shut them up (not that they would), but Super Smash Bros is too hot to let a few clashes with it's competitive scene bring it down. Smash as we know it under Sakurai may be almost over, and I expect a couple years where other "Smash" fighting games may sit on the "throne". But come at least six years from now, and it'll be back with vengeance, and everyone casual and hardcore competitive gamers alike will eat it right up.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Too Many Rings 1

I honestly doubt that Nick All-Stars is even the slightest blip on Smash's radar, I wouldn't be remotely surprised if whoever scheduled Sakurai's final broadcast didn't even know about it.  After all, that was probably a Japanese marketing team, while Nick All-Stars I would assume to be more western-focussed; but beyond that, I don't think it's doing the Nickelodeon game any disservice to say that it is operating at a vastly different scale of ambition to Smash.  The gaming industry just has weird rules about what days they can or will release things, so if two things come out on the same day that says very little to me.

"Let's be mature about this," I say, about the Nintendo and Nickelodeon cartoon video games.

• Thumbs Up 4

It’s one thing if it were like both games releasing at the same time, in the same vein as Titanfall 2 being dropped on the same day as Call of Duty and Battlefield, but it’s a digital presentation that most probably won’t even watch live and a game release. It’s not really comparable as directly effecting one or the others sales.

• Thumbs Up 1

Smash fans have been complaining about the game/Nintendo without supporting alternatives for years so if they want to get a movement going to actually get one of the little guys into the spotlight then I don't see the issue. I get why everyone hates Melee players but it's  hard for me to read much ill intent into this. Smash Ultimate is the last game that needs anybody's help. 

10 minutes ago, Wraith said:

Smash fans have been complaining about the game/Nintendo without supporting alternatives for years so if they want to get a movement going to actually get one of the little guys into the spotlight then I don't see the issue. I get why everyone hates Melee players but it's  hard for me to read much ill intent into this. Smash Ultimate is the last game that needs anybody's help. 

I’m definitely all for helping Nick all stars grow. (Especially if it’s online ends up showing up ultimate 10 fold.) It looks like a lot of fun, and if it can reach large audiences, amazing. (The games already confirmed to get post game support, which is a great start) It just feels like the claims of Nintendo/Sakurai specifically trying to fuck the game over and melee fans demanding protesting as a result, feels…ridiculous. I like both games so will support NASB and watch the direct. If that’s not good enough for those guys…idk what to say 

• Thumbs Up 2

20 minutes ago, KHCast said:

I’m definitely all for helping Nick all stars grow. (Especially if it’s online ends up showing up ultimate 10 fold.) It looks like a lot of fun, and if it can reach large audiences, amazing. (The games already confirmed to get post game support, which is a great start) It just feels like the claims of Nintendo/Sakurai specifically trying to fuck the game over and melee fans demanding protesting as a result, feels…ridiculous. I like both games so will support NASB and watch the direct. If that’s not good enough for those guys…idk what to say 

Yeah it's unlikely that it was intentional. Ultimate already made it's money and Nintendo doesn't care much about the esports scene. 

• Thumbs Up 2

There was a leak that resurfaced after correctly guessing the date of the last presentation.

Okay, well I say "correctly guess" but it's a 4chan leak from back in July, and the accuracy, in my eyes, feels more like a lucky coincidence. I'd take this leak with a grain of salt, but either way I'd cry tears of joy if Sora got in.

• Thumbs Up 1

I already had Sora on the brain before the leak. Idk why, I spent months accepting Sora probably wouldn’t get in but now…he just seems like a good way to end it all.  This is the first “real” ending to development for the actual smash team. Ever since smash 4, it’s been nonstop for them, so ending on a “big” note more than ever makes sense compared to smash 4’s dlc and fighter pass 1. Plus Sora is a character that would please both western and Japanese audiences. On top of that, Sora was high in the smash ballet, and it seems they’ve been addressing many of those ballet characters either as Mii costumes or actual characters. PLUS with this being the literal final character, they might be able to get away with having stuff like Disney content show up since there’ll be no more characters after, and the next smash game will be a loooong ways away.

And it was brought up online, the smash trailers for square characters seem to be the only ones telling a story by focusing on world of light. Hero’s focused mostly on Dharkon’s army, Sephiroth’s was him killing Galeem, and as we saw in the game, only killing one results in the end of the world, so that leaves Dharkon. And Nintendo do describe this as “the final battle”. Someone’s gotta kill Dharkon, and who better than hero of the realm of light himself?

idk, I’m trying not to get my hopes up, and that leak certainly isn’t convincing me, but it definitely feels like a possibility I could see. I still think Capcom have the better shot, hell, even master chief I feel does, but dammit, I really wanna see this happen, and Nintendo and Disney doing that bait with Disneyland 2 trailer just poked the bear 

• Thumbs Up 2

Outside of Smash 4 using the ballot winner, Smash always ends on character the general audience (Not your individual opinion, per se) views as "less hype" than earlier reveals.  Add in the fact that we just had E3, and the likelihood of it being Sora are near zero.

64 and Melee just revealed a large amount at once, and then hid the rest.

Brawl: (Outside of 1st party unlockables, which were kept hidden (Wolf, a clone and a character who was hated in the early days of Brawl, was the last overall)): Sheik

Smash 4 base game: Bowser Jr. and Duck Hunt (After the release of the game, I might add)

Smash 4 DLC: Corrin (We all know how people felt in the general public about this one), Bayonetta (Ballot winner, but this is a special case compared to the rest as there was no Ballot for the other scenarios)

Ultimate base game: Incineroar, Ken Masters (Echo fighter), Piranha Plant* (Technically DLC, but revealed at the same time)

Fighter's Pass 1: Byleth (I liked Byleth, but most didn't)

Fighter's Pass 2: ????

The reason they do this (Especially during DLC) is that it makes it easier to get purchases early on if you show more hype characters during the early to middle stages of reveals.  Hype and character crossovers are a major selling point of Smash, and they likely would've shown him sooner if he was the character to maintain the hype during those critical periods of Fighter's Pass 2 (Even if I don't like him and would view him as a hype killer lol).

• Thumbs Up 2

I think both sides need to really stop looking for a pattern. It could literally be anything from a giant crowd pleaser to a niche character.

Neither outcome has been the consistent factor throughout all Smash games.

And everytime somebody tries to predict a Smash character based off of "past rules", they often end up with egg on their face.

• Thumbs Up 7

58 minutes ago, tailsBOOM! said:

Outside of Smash 4 using the ballot winner, Smash always ends on character the general audience (Not your individual opinion, per se) views as "less hype" than earlier reveals.  Add in the fact that we just had E3, and the likelihood of it being Sora are near zero.

Again, I think the difference here is that unlike Smash 4 and Ult. This is Sakurai and his teams actual last character in smash for a looong time, maybe ever (at least in Sakurai’s case). They won’t be jumping into more smash like they’ve been doing since Sm4sh. I think the idea Sakurai would wanna end on a crowd pleasure with that in mind holds at least a little water. Tho, like it’s been said, it could be anyone, so maybe I’m wrong. I already said I think someone like a Capcom rep, or even master chief has a better shot than Sora 

If Sora is the last fighter, I will walk down to the pier and play Ray of Hope Mix on full blast as I walk down the pier, Keyblade in hand.

Sora's a character I always pictured had a 50/50 chance, mostly due to Disney and other things which made me think he'd end up like Cloud if he got in that I wonder if he'd be worth the trouble. Or maybe it'd work out better than I expected; Hero's a different case but I seriously had doubts because of the composer and Dragon Quest seemingly tied up in multiple rights and I ate crow on that. I do think he'd be the best ender to this whole ride though. He's also the only "hype" popular character not in Smash in any form people keep talking about that actually is hype even to me. And that's coming from someone who isn't really a fan of KH anymore but I also don't have the misgivings I did two years ago.

And anything that makes the scrimblo bimblo crowd have a meltdown is a bonus.

• Thumbs Up 1

I’m also seeing a lot of people suggesting Tabuu would make sense as a final character that would “piss off the least people” and…I question if that statements true. Like, I wouldn’t HATE Tabuu personally, but that’d feel eh, pretty underwhelming unless they used Tabuu to announce a expansion to WoL or a actual story mode or something 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, KHCast said:

I’m also seeing a lot of people suggesting Tabuu would make sense as a final character that would “piss off the least people” and…I question if that statements true. Like, I wouldn’t HATE Tabuu personally, but that’d feel eh, pretty underwhelming unless they used Tabuu to announce a expansion to WoL or a actual story mode or something 

Master Hand would make infinite more sense.  It's been there since the beginning and 

Spoiler

It's already in World of Light

Not to mention a lot of Tabuu's moves are only so good because they take up the whole screen or can instakill if they hit just right... both of which are unbalanced for a non-boss version.  People would whine about how nerfed he was

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Wraith said:

Tabuu is an alright boss, but he shouldn't be in Smash Bros.

Yeah, unless they finally announced a boss rush mode that brought back even the missing brawl bosses like Porky, Rayquaza and Ridley. Then I’d be totally fine seeing Tabuu return. Just as a boss 

• Thumbs Up 1

I edge towards the side of doubting the whole "saving the best for last" angle; if that wasn't the case the past few games, I don't see how Sakurai and CO's supposed "swan song" fighter would be different, but that would be nice if it were the case. Emphasis on only "edging towards", since I agree there's nothing to gain from following a theory that just so happens to connect to my beliefs (which admittivity are shaped by my wanting to prevent myself from getting disappointment). Expect the best, prepare for the worst, do what you want, but there's only one real reason to consider why the character everyone totally expects to get in might not get in: Another character got in first.

But another part of me would like to see exactly how Sakurai goes about his swan song, which is where I speculate what the last batch of Mii costumes  could look like. It could potentially be bigger than the traditional 4-6 costumes, and/or could consist of several runner up characters that were considered for either pass. One or two at least is what I'm expecting, more so if it is to feature costumes representing a new franchise introduced by the fighter.

5 hours ago, Jovahexeon Jax Joranvexeon said:

I think both sides need to really stop looking for a pattern. It could literally be anything from a giant crowd pleaser to a niche character.

Neither outcome has been the consistent factor throughout all Smash games.

And everytime somebody tries to predict a Smash character based off of "past rules", they often end up with egg on their face.

Here's the thing about Smash repeatedly breaking made up rules: some ended using that as a pattern itself. To warp it in such a way that they honestly believe stuff like Waluigi still has a shot here, that every single fighter that's revealed is guaranteed to break a rule that never existed.

This image is most likely written with the idea that any character mentioned can still show up in a future Smash (which I can understand), but then there's stuff like "Being an Assist Trophy doesn't mean they can't show up as DLC" as though it were meant for Ultimate (which is pushing it).

• Thumbs Up 1

All the assumptions about what Sakurai is thinking or what he should do are undermined by the fact that he didn't choose these fighters.

• Thumbs Up 4

Here's a little thing I thought of; who's your most wanted for CP11, and who do you wish was playable in the base game (not including fighters who are DLC)?

My most wanted for CP11: Sora

Character I wish was playable in base: Shadow

Base game: Viridi. I've been playing a lot of KIU lately and it's making me wish Sakurai ignored the whiners and kept shamelessly pushing his own game.

CP11: This is a tough one because there are like 5 characters I'd want about an equal amount. I guess if I had to pick one it would be Sora. It would make 13 year old Wraith the happiest.

Base game was definitely Shadow. My pipe dream pick for CP11 would be Geno despite the costume, but if I had to pick someone that I'd want that's also more realistic at this point, I'd say Sirfetch'd. The shield and pretty short stature (yet long reach) would make him a little more refreshing than a more traditional swordfighter and I just think it'd be pretty darn neat that after being largely overlooked for so long, Farfetch'd not only finally gets an evolution, but a spot on Ash's team AND the Smash roster. The ultimate underdog story. (Gigantamax Pokémon would also make for neat stage hazards for a Galar stage.)

I'd LOVE to see Sora as well, but I just don't see it happening with all the Disney stuff. I would be OVERJOYED to be wrong, but I'll believe it when I see it.

• Thumbs Up 3