Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - DADDY SAKURAI'S WILD RIDE HAS CONCLUDED

Sonictrainer

I'm torn between "They need to fix basically everything about this game" and "I don't even want to see another Smash game for 10 years"

• Thumbs Up 1

Continuing on from my closed thread, here's some other Sonic content I'd like to see in Smash:

Spirits:

• Tikal the Echidna
  • Perfect Chaos
  • Omochao
  • Maria Robotnik
  • Biolizard
  • Neo Metal Sonic
  • Chip/Light Gaia
  • Dark Gaia
  • Orbot and Cubot
  • Various Wisps
  • Classic Sonic
  • Deadly Six

Stages:

• Death Egg Zone
  • Sky Sanctuary Zone
  • Egg Carrier
  • Space Colony ARK

On 9/1/2021 at 12:27 AM, tailsBOOM! said:

(Melee ironically had a reflect on Power Shielding, which parrying replaced, yet arguably this entry needs it way more).

Shields don't reflect anymore but projectiles still bounce off of them if you perfect shield the normal way

Just now, StaticMania said:

Shields don't reflect anymore but projectiles still bounce off of them if you perfect shield the normal way

True, but they bounce upward, making it less of a punish to discourage your opponent from spamming that insanely safe option

I wonder if part of the reason there’s likely gonna be such a massive gap between Kazuya and the final character reveal is because it IS likely a not super hype omg reveal to end everything off, and sakurai and nintendo are trying to figure out how to break the ice since they’ve seen how people get online towards characters like that. Then again, if it were someone underwhelming, it probably would’ve been a safe option if they’re trying to avoid massive backlash to just rip the bandaid off sooner rather than later and reveal them soon after kazuya. Idk, what do you guys think?

I mean probably, but I have to imagine they’re probably not looking forward to another Byleth situation if they know that’s where it’s heading, and would wanna soften the blow somehow. 

Which speaking of Byleth, I realized. Every smash cycle since melee has added a new Fire Emblem character:

Melee: Marth & Roy

Brawl: Ike

Smash 4 base: Lucina & Robin

Smash 4 DLC: Corrin & Roy

Smash Ultimate base: Chrom 

Smash Ultimate FP1: Byleth

Holy shit FP2’s gonna end off on Fire Emblem isn’t it lol? I really hope it does. Give us another blue haired FE character from a unnanounced future FE game Sakurai. 

Is there a massive gap?  I think the gap between Fighters Pass reveals averages around three months, and that's around how long it's been since Kazuya was revealed, so talk of a massive gap seems premature and speculative.  The last character could be revealed tomorrow and that would be pretty much on-schedule.

I think the final character will almost certainly be at least somewhat "non-hype", for the simple reason that there is no character who will please everyone, especially not if they're going to be received as a sort of "finale".  The development schedule of the various characters is probably determined partly by business arrangements between the partners involved, so it strikes me as unlikely that there can be that much control over the order in which characters are developed, anyway; so the final character might seem like somebody completely random.

• Thumbs Up 3

17 minutes ago, Salamander said:

Is there a massive gap? 

Sakurai did pretty bluntly say it would be “awhile” before the next reveal, which would be weird of him to say if they’re going the standard length of time between reveals 

Honestly, if I had to guess, I’d say probably close to smash’s release anniversary or at the Game Awards is where the character will either release or be revealed. But that’s entirely speculative on the idea of it being “fitting” to end it where the dlc began

17 minutes ago, Salamander said:

The development schedule of the various characters is probably determined partly by business arrangements between the partners involved, so it strikes me as unlikely that there can be that much control over the order in which characters are developed,

Eh, I think it’s happened a bit, but just with the 1st party characters. There’s a lot of points people have brought up that suggests characters like Min Min or Byleth may have been shifted around in their respective passes. Don’t think we’ll ever know the behind the scenes of this, but it wouldn’t surprise me 

• Thumbs Up 1

Smash characters are released when they're done. The "Hype" ones get finished early so they can be shown off in promo material and events, but otherwise it's just how the game comes together and not a rollout strategy. Business agreements would also get in the way, as Salamander said.

30 minutes ago, KHCast said:

I mean probably, but I have to imagine they’re probably not looking forward to another Byleth situation if they know that’s where it’s heading, and would wanna soften the blow somehow. 

Most people buy every character so Nintendo doesn't actually have a reason to worry about the reaction.

• Thumbs Up 3

6 minutes ago, Wraith said:

Smash characters are released when they're done. The "Hype" ones get finished early so they can be shown off in promo material and events, but otherwise it's just how the game comes together and not a rollout strategy.

Shouldn't Sephiroth or Steve then have been announced before Min Min if they were the “hype” priority characters to market and show off? Then again, with Covid, it’s very likely plans changed 

1 minute ago, KHCast said:

Shouldn't Sephiroth or Steve then have been announced before Min Min if they were the “hype” priority characters to market and show off? Then again, with Covid, it’s very likely plans changed 

I mean for the base game, so they would finish Simon before they'd finish Piranha Plant.

• Thumbs Up 2

Oh, gotcha. That’s fair. 

I still got that back of the head hope for someone like Sora, or a Sony rep, or Phoenix Wright/a RE rep, but I’m expecting something more along the lines of more Fire Emblem, Zelda, or Chorus Kids, which I wouldn’t hate mind you, but yeah, is more in the grounds of reality. 

Whoever it is, if Sakurai has to openly say it’s gonna be awhile before they’re showed off, they must have quite the interesting moveset potential, so I’m very much interested in that regard. If they somehow end up topping Pyra/Mythra in the meta, I’m gonna laugh 

1 hour ago, KHCast said:

Sakurai did pretty bluntly say it would be “awhile” before the next reveal, which would be weird of him to say if they’re going the standard length of time between reveals

My reading just that three months does actually feel like a while - but fair enough; and I'm not saying I'll be exactly surprised if the last character takes longer than usual, either.  They've given themselves a deadline of January next year, right?  Fair play to them if they want to use up all the time they're budgeted for, after all.

1 hour ago, KHCast said:

Eh, I think it’s happened a bit, but just with the 1st party characters. There’s a lot of points people have brought up that suggests characters like Min Min or Byleth may have been shifted around in their respective passes. Don’t think we’ll ever know the behind the scenes of this, but it wouldn’t surprise me 

Ah, you're right, first-party characters are a different matter.  But I agree that we'll probably never know the behind-the-scenes aspect of how everything comes together... which is a great shame as I imagine it's actually very interesting.  It wouldn't surprise me if Nintendo had lined up a string of first-party characters as back-up for if certain third-party slots fell through at the last minute.

1 hour ago, KHCast said:

I will say that they probably did everything they could to arrange it so that Joker could be the very first Fighters Pass reveal.  After that it gets a bit more difficult to micromanage.

I honestly just want the band aid ripped off and get it done with. They can take their time releasing whatever character, I just want to know who it is so I'm not kept in perpetual hype/worry.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

Figured they were gonna do something like this, they did that at the end of the first pass to with Byleth, so only natural they’d do the same here haha. Them dropping this on the same day as Nick all stars brawls release is funny as fuck tho

The controversy online over the 10/5 date of the present is really fucking ridiculous. You got the Nick All Stars community demanding people protest watching the stream, talking about it, etc, and just focus on their game, while attacking Sakurai, and claiming he’s a shitty AAA dev…and then you have the smash community + Nintendo defenders shitting on Nick’s game and saying that game isn’t actually good, and is just being fueled by nostalgia and acting like Nintendo can’t be shit. Like…in reality I don’t think the Sakurai presents is going to hurt nicks game, most casuals don’t watch these directs to begin with, and I assume a majority of the people interested in Nicks game have it pre ordered. The game will likely still get lots of publicity and coverage by streamers and the like. A good chunk of those players enjoy both games, so there’s no harm I feel in watching and discussing both NASB and the final character. That said, I definitely think this could have been intentional by Nintendo, and if it was done to try and draw attention away from NASB, that’s a bit petty, especially when smash was never in any real danger 

• Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, KHCast said:

That said, I definitely think this could have been intentional by Nintendo, and if it was done to try and draw attention away from NASB, that’s a bit petty, especially when smash was never in any real danger

Nintendo have made many mistakes, but they are not petty like that. And honestly, people trying to raise conspiracy theories on that are just irritating.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Absolutely 3

12 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Jax Joranvexeon said:

Nintendo have made many mistakes, but they are not petty like that. And honestly, people trying to raise conspiracy theories on that are just irritating.

I don’t say it as a definite, especially because, like I said, it would be pretty petty and a waste of time for them if that was their goal. It’d be the equivalent of Mr. Krabs seeing Plankton has 1 customer and doing all he can to try and get them more interested in the his restaurant. (Which he’s funnily enough done)