Awoo.

Mario Bros. Animated Movie Coming from Illumination

DaddlerTheDalek

Just because the Nintendo higher-ups liked it, it doesn't mean it's an amazing or even good movie. Maybe it's extremely respectful of the source material.

• 4 weeks later...

Not sure why, maybe they need more time? Maybe this is the reason there hasn't been a trailer yet.

Here's Illumination's tweet.

It can be something as simple as looking at the competition releasing at the same and deciding there'ss a better chance in a different month.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The visual design of the environment here is actually really nice and has kinda reminded me that I do WANT this to be good despite all my concern about it.  Here's hoping.

• Thumbs Up 3

Design allegedly got leaked via McDonald’s employee 

Spoiler

SPOILER_IMG_5833.png

It’s so weird 

It's weirdly impressive that they somehow captured Chris Pratt's likeness as well. I don't know if I like that. 😆

I think, much like Sonic, it will just take some getting used too... although this feels weirder. But I think the reason for that is because this is a purely animated movie compared to Sonic's. Visually our brains are trained to just expect to see the regular animated CGI Mario after all these decades.

• Thumbs Up 1

Spoiler

Really, it's mainly how the eyes aren't ovals that sticks out as odd from what little I let myself look at. Eyes are the big cornerstone of facial expressions, so that won't get far if you make the eyes too small. Judgement reserved till the moment comes.

Mmm, I think this is just a date error or twitter misread/misunderstanding.

The film was only announced officially in 2018, with production properly starting in 2020. A poster of this caliber would not have existed by that point - and even if it did, during the years of production and revisions the animations and designs would have undergone a multitude of changes. 

Essentially the poster of 2018 would not be used as the poster of 2022 UNLESS they had finished the film in 2018 and then held onto the movie for 4 years. 😆

• Thumbs Up 1

He looks fine. Honestly feels like people are slightly overreacting a bit over this, especially when I see people say this is an indication of the movie being shit as if this is on par with ugly movie sonic. If anything, I’d compare this more to the super Mario show design vs some hyper realistic design. It looks like a hybrid of the cartoon and game design

• Thumbs Up 1

58 minutes ago, KHCast said:

He looks fine. Honestly feels like people are slightly overreacting a bit over this, especially when I see people say this is an indication of the movie being shit as if this is on par with ugly movie sonic. If anything, I’d compare this more to the super Mario show design vs some hyper realistic design. It looks like a hybrid of the cartoon and game design

Eh, I just think it's uncanny. It won't ruin the film at all, but it's jarring to me.

Like Toad's knees. Why do they have knees. That implies the existence of taller Toads and that terrifies me. But it won't ruin the movie.

I think part of what makes the designs look a little odd is that the official Mario designs don't appear to have changed at all for years; so something only slightly different has a strangely unsettling quality.  However, as has been pointed out, there are also the hints of more realistic anatomy.

I wonder if it's mocap that's making the difference?  Is it that they've been motion capturing all the actors, and so the physicality of the designs has to be more human?

• Thumbs Up 1

If only his shirt didn't have a collar, it'd be perfect.

4 hours ago, Jake_LeOFFICIAL said:

Like Toad's knees. Why do they have knees. That implies the existence of taller Toads and that terrifies me. But it won't ruin the movie.

It doesn't imply anything, but what it does do is make it easy to have Toads in certain positions that the games never really do when Toad isn't playable.

It's for ease of animation and it's nothing new as the Mario Maker Sprites of Toad and Toadette animate them as if they has knees...

• Thumbs Up 3

3 hours ago, Salamander said:

I wonder if it's mocap that's making the difference?  Is it that they've been motion capturing all the actors, and so the physicality of the designs has to be more human?

I haven't looked at the leak (appreciate y'all spoilering it, thanks) but mocap doesn't necessarily require more realistic proportions as long as the animators are talented enough to close the gap between the human-movement-capabilities limited original motion data and whatever cartoony character is moving around on-screen.

• Thumbs Up 2

I like the new design. It's faithful to the source material and different at the same time. We don't usually see different interpretations of the Mario IP, so this is refreshing. I like the realistic textures.

However, I don't like the generic Toads and I think this is a red flag. In the Paper Mario series, there are "Toads" with more interesting designs. But in recent Paper Mario games, all NPCs are just generic Toads with different colors. I don't like that., it's uninspired.

I have no idea what to expect from this movie. The Mario franchise is more difficult to adapt to movie, but who knows...

13 minutes ago, light-gaia said:

I don't like that., it's uninspired.

It's accurate...hehe

There is nothing preventing the Toads from wearing different clothes.

21 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

It's accurate...hehe

There is nothing preventing the Toads from wearing different clothes.

Miyamoto is involved in this movie, and he is the reason modern Paper Mario games have this problem

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, light-gaia said:

Miyamoto is involved in this movie, and he is the reason modern Paper Mario games have this problem

He is not the reason modern Paper Mario games has this problem.

Very surprising information.

• Thumbs Up 1

Surely you would blame ALL of that on Miyamoto alone and not Nintendo as whole's strict decision to unify and sterilize the Mario brand...

Miyamoto said one thing about characters and it spun off from there in people's mind.

• Thumbs Up 1