Awoo.

Mario Bros. Animated Movie Coming from Illumination

DaddlerTheDalek

So Mario gets all the money in the world. No surprise.

But I'm curious: quality-wise, would you call it better than Sonic 2? Would you call either of them the best Video Game Movie?

(Not counting tv shows, obviously. Nothing comes close to the perfection of Arcane.)

3 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

But I'm curious: quality-wise, would you call it better than Sonic 2? Would you call either of them the best Video Game Movie?

Personally, I think Sonic 2 is the better film overall. I found it handled the humour and non-constant self references much more organically and had more satisfying payoffs in the narrative.

That being said, I wouldn't say either are the "the best video game films ever" but that's because the standard is very low anyway and these also aren't what I'd consider to be the top tier of cinema either (not that they needed to be).

What they are both are (for better or worse) are solid, fun and most of all entertaining to watch - which is refreshing considering most of these adaptations completely miss the mark. 

13 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

So Mario gets all the money in the world. No surprise.

(Not counting tv shows, obviously. Nothing comes close to the perfection of Arcane.)

Well, I always believed that box office numbers of films don't really define the quality of the films in general.  Like for example, the 2019 Live Action Lion King movie had made over $1 Billion in the box office, but many people don't like the movie because it could never hold a candle to the original 1994 animated movie.  Another example would be Frozen 2, which also made over $1 Billion in the box office, but nobody really remembers that film, despite its big box office numbers. Then, you have films that didn't make over $1 Billion in the box office, like Puss in Boots: The Last Wish and Spider-Man Into the Spiderverse, but they are very well remembered and they even got nominated for and won some awards.

So, in regards to whether or not the Mario movie is better than Sonic 2, well it really depends on what you are looking for in these films.  Sure, the Mario movie did a better job of being more accurate to the games.  But, Sonic 2 had a better story and characterization of the characters.  So, for me personally, I prefer Sonic 2 over the Mario movie, because of how well they developed the characters, even though I still really enjoyed the Mario movie.

Comparing the Mario movie and the second Sonic movie, I might have to give the edge to Mario. And considering how I think the Mario movie is flat, uninspired and bland at best, this probably says everything that needs to be said about my opinion on the second Sonic movie.

I wish both the Mario and Sonic movie franchises can pull themsleves out of the swamp of bare-minimum effort storytelling and actually be somewhat admirable, even if only in the light of being childrens movies. There are a lot of good childrens movies out there and I don't think it's beyond either the Mario or Sonic series capabilities to someday belong among those.

It's not really that admirable to write a good story.

If a story is simple, you just want the characters to be really strong, the Mario movie just tried to do too much at the expense of character.

• 4 weeks later...

I've just finished watching the movie. I enjoyed the characters, the CGI, animation and the comedy moments In parts of the movie 🎥🍿 It kept true to the Mario games.

But for me I enjoyed the Sonic 2 movie more than the Mario movie. Because you got Jim Carrey who played Dr Robotnik who played him very well as the character and funny as well. 

Then you have Tails voice by Colleen O'Shaughnessey she did absolutely amazing In the movie and got vibes as well. And Knuckles was a fantastic edition In the movie and voice by Idris Elba who did a outstanding voice for Knuckles as well.

Overall I like Sonic 2 Movie more because of the game's references the characters friendships and I just love the comedy humour as well. I did like watching the Mario movie but I much prefer the Sonic 2 movie.

• Thumbs Up 2

9 hours ago, sonicclaasic said:

I've just finished watching the movie. I enjoyed the characters, the CGI, animation and the comedy moments In parts of the movie 🎥🍿 It kept true to the Mario games.

But for me I enjoyed the Sonic 2 movie more than the Mario movie. Because you got Jim Carrey who played Dr Robotnik who played him very well as the character and funny as well. 

Then you have Tails voice by Colleen O'Shaughnessey she did absolutely amazing In the movie and got vibes as well. And Knuckles was a fantastic edition In the movie and voice by Idris Elba who did a outstanding voice for Knuckles as well.

Overall I like Sonic 2 Movie more because of the game's references the characters friendships and I just love the comedy humour as well. I did like watching the Mario movie but I much prefer the Sonic 2 movie.

I agree with this.  Don't get me wrong.  I really enjoyed the Mario movie. But, I felt that Sonic 2 had a better story and characters and I agree that the fact that they were able to get Colleen O'Shaughnessey to reprise her role as Tails was definitely a huge treat.

• 3 weeks later...