Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

The Hooligans were not in Sonic Mania. That was Heavy Magician pretending to be them. Personally, I am hoping against hope that The Hooligans don't show up in the comic, but Bean, Bark and Nack do. 

By which I mean I want Bean and Bark to be good guys like they're supposed to be in the actual games. It probably won't happen because Ian is writting them, but since that was a mistake caused by him not having a translated copy of their StF bios handy (or so I heard), I can at least hope he might fix it. Bean can still be loony and break the fourth wall so long as he's not Duckpool anymore.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Chuckle 1

I wonder if Ian's gonna keep using the name "Hooligan" because that was something they made up at Archie. To Archie readers Bean Bark and Nack are "the villainous Hooligans" but for other people they are considered "the obscure trio that appeared in (Sonic) Fighters".

1 hour ago, dylan tix said:

By which I mean I want Bean and Bark to be good guys like they're supposed to be in the actual games. 

I mean Sonic Team kind of adopted Bean and Bark as bad guys into the recent games via cameo wanted posters. Unless that doesn't count.

1 hour ago, KoDaiko said:
2 hours ago, dylan tix said:

I mean Sonic Team kind of adopted Bean and Bark as bad guys into the recent games via cameo wanted posters. Unless that doesn't count.

Eh, each time those happened weren't even Sonic Team.

2 hours ago, dylan tix said:

The Hooligans were not in Sonic Mania. That was Heavy Magician pretending to be them. Personally, I am hoping against hope that The Hooligans don't show up in the comic, but Bean, Bark and Nack do. 

By which I mean I want Bean and Bark to be good guys like they're supposed to be in the actual games. It probably won't happen because Ian is writting them, but since that was a mistake caused by him not having a translated copy of their StF bios handy (or so I heard), I can at least hope he might fix it. Bean can still be loony and break the fourth wall so long as he's not Duckpool anymore.

And we can make Bean a woodpecker too, right? 

And anyone up for a Fleetway/early Archie serious threat Nack?

5 hours ago, Miragnarok said:

And anyone up for a Fleetway/early Archie serious threat Nack?

Well, I suppose. It wouldn't hurt me, it could be nice for a change.

Though it was funny to see Knux being able to keep his cool and whack him all over the place in that contest.

About Bean and Bark, they were doing nasty stuff but wasn't it mostly because they got paid thus it was kind of their job? In few occasions I got the feeling they weren't really questioning about whether or not they were doing stuff for the bad or the good guys as long as there was something in for them. I mean, it's not a good thing but I dunno if I'd call them straight villains even when they were used in the bad guys front more. For me they were pretty much not villains nor heroes. And maybe that's the thing that annoys people most about the Archie version - them not being heroes I mean - but I don't find it too bad really.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Nice Smile 2

The evil genius Dr. Eggman has been foiled--but the work of Sonic the Hedgehog isn't over yet! In the aftermath of the latest epic battle, rogue robots continue to attack small villages around the world. In order to succeed, Sonic will need the help of his friends Tails, Knuckles, and Amy, along with some new and surprising allies. This new collection from acclaimed writer Ian Flynn features the blue blur like you've never seen him before. Gotta go fast!

This description is hinting that it will take place after Forces or is it just me? also, "new and surprising allies" ... April just can't arrive fast enough.. I NEED TO KNOW

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Nice Smile 1

We got a graphic novel coming and yet we don't know the solcits for the first four issues. I know we'll find out about them in January but...yeah.

I think that Summary may have confirmed that this IDW series is starting anew. Unless I'm missing something that they're gonna add the other game characters (or the FF's and classify them as "new" I dunno that might be odd).

And it's coming September 18th 2018 wow. I guess graphic novels will have four issues in them?

9 hours ago, Razule said:

Eh, each time those happened weren't even Sonic Team.

Neither was Sonic the Fighters.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 2

So...from what I could gather:

-This takes place after Forces...meaning this is set in the game gameverse so RIP post-Archieverse.

-The main characters will the main 4 alongside some brand new characters.

-Forces aftermath isn’t completely over so there’s leftover robots...

-Possible confirmation if Infinite survived or not?

I think it's too soon to say it takes place after Forces even though it's likely. They might want to leave some wiggle room for other game adaptations

It just taking place after all the games would be fine with me though.

Yeah given just that description it could take place after Forces, but it could just as easily take place after most games in the series, or after an unseen and completely invented battle. I wouldn't go around assuming it's after Forces or directly connected to the game continuity at all on just that.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Nice Smile 1
  • Fist Bump 1

I'm actually hoping for Forces not being canon. Or, at least, not happening yet, so maybe the lore could be less cringe-worthy than it was.

5 hours ago, RedFox99 said:

So I was reading this guy's post about why he doesn't like Ian's writing and he brought some pretty good point criticisms about the reboot. 

https://whitefox55.tumblr.com/post/168879508567/why-shattered-earth-is-a-mess-or-why-i-dont

It's weird why some people spell Nicole as "NICOLE". Her name was never a acronym to begin with, not even in the pre-reboot. As for the post-reboot, didn't Sally gave that name to her because of a Acorn queen from the past?

• Thumbs Up 2

10 minutes ago, Korke said:

I'm actually hoping for Forces not being canon. Or, at least, not happening yet, so maybe the lore could be less cringe-worthy than it was.

It's weird why some people spell Nicole as "NICOLE". Her name was never a acronym to begin with, not even in the pre-reboot. As for the post-reboot, didn't Sally gave that name to her because of a Acorn queen from the past?

It's kind of weird. I think that last part was implied. 

If the GN covers the post-Forces story, then I guess the previosly-hinted-at allusions to the Classic and Boom universes will show what happened to Mania Sonic after he returned. 

13 minutes ago, Korke said:

I think there actually were several instances in the pre-reboot comics where the writers mistakenly thought Nicole was an acronym (rendering her name as N.I.C.O.L.E). Probably in the dark ages at some point.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 minutes ago, PC the Hedgehog said:

I think there actually were several instances in the pre-reboot comics where the writers mistakenly thought Nicole was an acronym (rendering her name as N.I.C.O.L.E). Probably in the dark ages at some point.

That makes sense. Though you have to wonder what they assumed it would stand for. 

17 minutes ago, Ernest the Snowpanda said:

Something I noticed: the graphic novel is 96 pages long. That's more than 10 pages less than what Archies had.

So what does that mean? How long is each issue? I'm still hoping for 20 pages...

The description could have been less generic, but if it does take place after Forces it would be a good opportunity to include a lot of its heroes, and villains maybe? I would definitely love to see Infinite in it. Whatever happens in this new continuity, I'm just hoping that, like Post-Reboot Archie, there is a map and a world that connects all the continents and zones, and a timeline that connects all the games' stories in surprising ways, with twists of course.

7 hours ago, BlueSky said:

Well, I suppose. It wouldn't hurt me, it could be nice for a change.

Though it was funny to see Knux being able to keep his cool and whack him all over the place in that contest.

About Bean and Bark, they were doing nasty stuff but wasn't it mostly because they got paid thus it was kind of their job? In few occasions I got the feeling they weren't really questioning about whether or not they were doing stuff for the bad or the good guys as long as there was something in for them. I mean, it's not a good thing but I dunno if I'd call them straight villains even when they were used in the bad guys front more. For me they were pretty much not villains nor heroes. And maybe that's the thing that annoys people most about the Archie version - them not being heroes I mean - but I don't find it too bad really.

Yeah, but Fleetway Bean IS a straight villain. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

1 hour ago, Ernest the Snowpanda said:

Something I noticed: the graphic novel is 96 pages long. That's more than 10 pages less than what Archies had.

My guess is it'll be like IDW's Disney graphic novels and collect three issues instead of four. If these sell well enough, we'll probably then get hardcover editions that collect six issues - again similar to the Disney "Timeless Tales" collections.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1