Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

I worry adding FF can risk making IDW into Archie 2.0.

FF is from a cartoon with a lot of lore, and I feel Archie-verse was based heavily on it. Even including the characters bring in much of the plot and world because they are intertwined , like Bunnie related to Eggman’s domination and technology of cybernics while Sally is a princess of a kingdom and leader of a justice group that fights Eggman ruling a large part of Earth. Also Archie added some stuff like Antoine and Bunnie marrying, Nicole is given a lynx form, and so on that fans enjoyed. 

How much of those trait will people accept losing to have them in? While some people say they’re fine with having FF being totally stripped off their original character to be included, I’m sure the majority would want them as they know and loved. Maybe IDW can get backlash like, “ If you’re including Sally&co as completely different characters, why bother including them? ” Similarly, will people really be fine with them being in as minor or not-main characters? Because if they want to appear frequently Sonic and his friends have to be with them, which can result in Archie comic Freedom Fighter all over again.

I'm being pessimistic here, but I truly want IDW to take a fresh new direction first. 

• Thumbs Up 4

1 hour ago, KoDaiko said:

I worry adding FF can risk making IDW into Archie 2.0.

FF is from a cartoon with a lot of lore, and I feel Archie-verse was based heavily on it. Even including the characters bring in much of the plot and world because they are intertwined , like Bunnie related to Eggman’s domination and technology of cybernics while Sally is a princess of a kingdom and leader of a justice group that fights Eggman ruling a large part of Earth. Also Archie added some stuff like Antoine and Bunnie marrying, Nicole is given a lynx form, and so on that fans enjoyed. 

How much of those trait will people accept losing to have them in? While some people say they’re fine with having FF being totally stripped off their original character to be included, I’m sure the majority would want them as they know and loved. Maybe IDW can get backlash like, “ If you’re including Sally&co as completely different characters, why bother including them? ” Similarly, will people really be fine with them being in as minor or not-main characters? Because if they want to appear frequently Sonic and his friends have to be with them, which can result in Archie comic Freedom Fighter all over again.

I'm being pessimistic here, but I truly want IDW to take a fresh new direction first. 

They can just show up in a crossover with the old continuity. 

Ya know, the more I read these rebuttals the more I think it isn't about any baggage the FF are said to have...

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Promotion 1

20 hours ago, Dejablue said:

Aaaaah she's so cuuuuteeeeee! I want Sally to look like this 5 everrrrrr!!!  I love Sally with black hair and I love that tail. Thanks Nerfluffle!

As odd as this may sound. I'm actually leaning more towards retiring the freedom fighters. Not because I don't like them, but because people have complained for years that they take screen time away from characters they actually want to see. Yeah, that's the game characters and I think they have a point. Sonic has a chance to start over and it only makes sense they focus on characters who are in the games, you know, the things Sega are trying to sell. Sonic has a healthy cast of characters already, without the freedom fighters. Give the game characters more attention. Surely they can fill story critical roles just as easily as the FF could.

Well maybe if the games didn't push them off to the cheerleading section to suck up to the critics and haters this wouldn't be a problem. I don't know about anyone else but I jumped ship to the comics because I thought the games weren't worth my time, with everyone being a doormat to Sonic. However I may have gone into the comics for the game characters I didn't mind the Freedom fighters, over time I actually welcome them and while I do prefer the game cast I didn't think the Archie exclusives were invading on their time.

If people aren't aware, what you're doing to the comics is exactly what the critics did to the games: demanding an exile for characters to "make room" for the ones you care about.  

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Promotion 1
  • Nice Smile 1
  • Chuckle 1

The easiest way to introduce the Freedom Fighters into the new IDW series would be as part of the Sonic Forces resistance, with Sally leading the Knothole division. The roboticizer wouldn't even be necessary to explain Bunnie, she could just be a girl who lost some limbs and was given robotic prostheses by Chuck or Rotor.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, QuantumEdge said:

I'd rather much welcome refitting old, small time faces from the cartoons and games like they did with the reboot than generating another OC cast again.  If anything, with Flynn at the wheel again, I kinda hope some of his own creations return, like Eclipse and the Egg Bosses instead, but realistically I doubt that's ever happening, but I feel it can for the FFs.  There's too much of a niche fanbase to not let them sneak a chance once in a while.  They've been in Sonic comics just as long as Sonic himself, so I think it deserving they get some reappearance. 

Agreed. His contracts more or less means the stuff he did for the Archie comic belongs to SEGA anyway, which means  he could probably reuse certain things if he gets the go-ahead and guidelines.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Nice Smile 2

1 minute ago, SBR2 said:

Can we all agree that regardless of if the FF or Breezie or whoever shows up we need T-Pup to return? Tails needs his robot dog and so do we.

He could be the Cheese to Tails's Cream.

On 18.11.2017 at 12:36 AM, Conquering Storm's Servant said:

I'm sorry, but that's a textbook case of being selfish and inconsiderate, if not downright hypocritical to imply that you'd be hurt for not seeing Vector as if that wouldn't be the case for those who want to see Antoine, because who in the world wouldn't be upset and be hurt that they can't see their preferred favorite character anymore regardless of who they are?

Hey @NikoS, would you be hurt if Antoine's not in the IDW Sonic in any way? :D

I know after this debacle I'd be a tad bit more "meh" than this morning. -_-

Do you guys complaining FF losing their identities and characterisations if brought back even have any idea what ultimately makes a character?

Their freaking personality! The whole scale of emotions they express on daily basis! The stuff that makes them look like humane beings! How they react on stuff, especially on the uncouncious level! Someone's placing in the society might be something that enhances their personality in some way but ultimately, different characters personalities can be pretty same kind even when the environment, history and career are totally different from each other.

5 hours ago, SBR2 said:

Can we all agree that regardless of if the FF or Breezie or whoever shows up we need T-Pup to return? Tails needs his robot dog and so do we.

T-Pup for re-election! T-Pup for president!

Doesn't mean I wouldn't like to see FF to return. If reboot managed to save their core identities with all the mixing and shuffling, I don't find it infinitesimally possible.

...pretty please for at least considering about it IDW?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 2

People really love T-pup that much?

Because I feel absolutely nothing for him. I have no recollection of T-pup being anything but personality-devoid Freedom Fighter drone come generic pet dog.

To me, he's like the Silence from Doctor Who. If I read a story and then you asked me what T-pup did in said story, I'd draw a blank because I'd honestly have no memory of even seeing him in it.

That's how unmemorable and inconsiquential T-pup is to me.

...no offence.

• Thumbs Up 4

3 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

T-Pup needs to be fed metal chocolate. 

Can robot dogs be poisoned with metal chocolate?

Can they even eat?

1 hour ago, KoDaiko said:

Can robot dogs be poisoned with metal chocolate?

Can they even eat?

I just assume it functions like a dog except everything is metal. 

• Nice Smile 1
  • Chuckle 1

4 hours ago, BlueSky said:

Hey @NikoS, would you be hurt if Antoine's not in the IDW Sonic in any way?

Spoiler

2355735_scan0008.png

But really, i'd prefer Antoine (and all the other Freedom Fighters) NOT to be in the book IF they come back with a complete different personality, i mean, i enjoy Twan's antics with Sonic, his relationship with Bunnie, his passion for cooking,  his bravure conflicting with his fears, all this and more it's part of who he is, and if it is for him to return but not being himself,  yeah... (i used Ant as example, but this goes to all the other characters too..)

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Promotion 1

I actually wouldn’t mind Antoine being back as a worthless, slimy coward like he was originally in satAM, or worse. Did his original promotional design seem likable at all? In fact, i’d like it to be so. IDW has a knack for turning more ambiguous characters fully evil and making it work with stride. For example, Overlord, Rattrap, Star Saber, Sandstorm, and even Prowl In their transformers comics. Or Leatherhead and Karai in their Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles comics. 

8 hours ago, NikoS said:
  Reveal hidden contents

2355735_scan0008.png

But really, i'd prefer Antoine (and all the other Freedom Fighters) NOT to be in the book IF they come back with a complete different personality, i mean, i enjoy Twan's antics with Sonic, his relationship with Bunnie, his passion for cooking,  his bravure conflicting with his fears, all this and more it's part of who he is, and if it is for him to return but not being himself,  yeah... (i used Ant as example, but this goes to all the other characters too..)

Amen to that my good fellow. -_-

Spoiler

5a12c9f5ebe1f_MyreactiontoNikoSreaction.thumb.gif.a951249de57502841056d764ff8193d1.gif

Then this'd be my reaction. Like hell I'd be letting go of either (a double meaning, how funny)!

Well yes. It'd be just sad to see all the meaningful personality being stripped away from any of those characters, at least if they get any lines.

Mostly I'd just want to hear IDW to tell us ARE THESE CHARACTERS COMING BACK OR NOT. Every second without knowing makes me more and more apathetic towards the whole book.

But then again, I'm prolly not the primary audience in their minds so well, some droplets on the sea my coins would be...

5 hours ago, Miragnarok said:

I actually wouldn’t mind Antoine being back as a worthless, slimy coward like he was originally in satAM, or worse. Did his original promotional design seem likable at all? In fact, i’d like it to be so. IDW has a knack for turning more ambiguous characters fully evil and making it work with stride. For example, Overlord, Rattrap, Star Saber, Sandstorm, and even Prowl In their transformers comics. Or Leatherhead and Karai in their Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles comics. 

Weeeell, I suppose I can see the appeal some might have towards this kind of evolution, but I'd like them to keep the more positive evolution line for him. Maybe because I like it when characters that aren't the bravest and the most... how should I say... appealling by their power to keep up continuing to do their psychologically noble actions however big the obstacle is, get some, usually pretty slow and not-so-straightforward, road towards the way of heroism (phew!) and that makes them kind of likeable for me, prolly because I can relate to those characters more than the characters always doing right things in right way and being "real heroes" all the time. I've had hard time to grow used to the fact how some people work (and still I do, I wonder if there's a long grey area between empathic and psycho nature since for me it seems so) in this world and I can relate to the fact some people need time to grow better and surpass their weaknesses.

I'd like to see Sonic comics made in that way-ish. As a positive (if not even a bit naive) "example" for how one doesn't need to be the hero from day one to become one some day.

And why not use Snively if one needs a slimy charac---- wait, wait. I think the problem would be he'd prolly be estabilished as "a bad guy" right from the start, isn't it? It wouldn't work with him like that because of it.

But well, if done correctly, this idea you brought up could work. Maybe not for me but well this isn't about me so I'm trying to keep thinking scientifically around this, I'm not letting my emotions to get the better of me this time... fat chance.

Anyway, I suppose it could work, not for all, but if done right it could work I suppose. Anything could work if done right, if it isn't working for some people it doesn't mean it wouldn't work at all.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've been told by my local comic shop that previews and solicitations should be out... today? I'm not sure, but I hope we can expect something soon.

• Thumbs Up 2

6 hours ago, Dr. Jack said:

I've been told by my local comic shop that previews and solicitations should be out... today? I'm not sure, but I hope we can expect something soon.

...What? I guess there could be a special press release or something on one of the Comics News sites. Because I know Solicits don't usually come out until the third week of every month. IDW's tend to be Wednesdays.

• Thumbs Up 2

I thought the solcits would come on January, since this month will show solcits for March.

Unless it's free comic book day related idk.

Yeah I just checked on google, I don't know what she was talking about because the solicits for February just came out a few weeks ago.