Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

14 hours ago, EmTiven01 said:

Speaking of Transformers, I can see Sonic and Optimus being foils.

Possibly. I see Sonic's maybe pushing Prime's patience a bit. 

If they did a TMNT crossover I could see Sonic and Mikey being buds on the same level as Leo and Usagi.

• Thumbs Up 1

I do wonder if Sonic will ever have a crossover with the other titles in the IDW comics?

2 hours ago, SBR2 said:

If they did a TMNT crossover I could see Sonic and Mikey being buds on the same level as Leo and Usagi.

I can also see Espio and Leo getting along well. Same with Knuckles and Raph. Donnie & Tails is pretty much a given.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

I do wonder if Sonic will ever have a crossover with the other titles in the IDW comics?

It's not impossible. IDW are kinda famous for them but it also depends on Sega approval I would imagine. 

Personally I hope they do. Even if they don't expand the plot crossovers are fun especially when you get 2 franchises that gel well.

3 hours ago, SBR2 said:

Tails and Wheeljack would be BFFs for sure. Meanwhile, Eggman would form an alliance with the Decepticons. Megatron would want the Chaos Emeralds for sure, and Eggman would want to create new Badniks made out of reverse-engineered Cybertronian technology. And of course, Starscream would also want the Emeralds for himself and try to backstab both Megatron and Eggman.

41 minutes ago, Dejimon11 said:

I can also see Espio and Leo getting along well. Same with Knuckles and Raph. Donnie & Tails is pretty much a given.

Something tells me the alliance between Eggman and the Shredder wouldn't be like the bromance between him and Wily in Worlds Collide.

• Thumbs Up 3

Eggman and Baxter are more compatible than most versions of Shredder would be, really.

They would also betray each other after like issue 1 probably, which would be fine as long as Baxter gets a hold of Metal Sonic in my book.

If there were to be a crossover with a Cartoon Network show, which do you think would mash up with Sonic the best?

Personally, I'd go with Samurai Jack since it also involves fighting robots.

21 minutes ago, EmTiven01 said:

If there were to be a crossover with a Cartoon Network show, which do you think would mash up with Sonic the best?

Sonic Boom might work.

14 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Sonic Boom might work.

lol

In all seriousness, which CN show that IDW makes comics for is best suited for a crossover with Sonic?

On 3/31/2021 at 10:33 PM, Dejimon11 said:

Bebop and Rocksteady with Rough and Tumble. Could be a fun combo. 

On the hero side, Amy and April. Casey and Whisper (both mask wearers)?

Wonder if the issue might be that Sega isn't that interested in collaborating with American franchises? I mean, unless TMNT, Transformers, MLP are big in Japan, I wonder if it just might be Sega doesn't see the reason or value to do a collaboration with those. Compared to Mega Man which is a Japanese franchise essentially made by a contemporary in their industry.

Finally got around to reading #38 - massive improvement. In fact, my favourite issue in ages.

Spoiler

I loved everything about the Trap Tower situation and how Sonic, Amy and Tails handled it, to Tails finding everything interesting and fascinating, to Amy criticising the design of everything, and Sonic just being totally weirded out by everything.

Tangle and Belle's section was alright too. Again, it's all info we've sort of known already, but there was some moments of gold. Loved Cubot and Orbot's fear of calling Eggman, and wondering if he's losing his touch when he doesn't freak-out, and I liked Tangle's bit about how Belle's creation didn't matter, because it just mattered that she was trying to be a good person now. That was neat.

It's unfortunately still very lopsided to me though. Belle and Tangle's bits are kind of just there, giving info about a mystery that's not hard to work out, and acting more like exposition, while the actually super-interesting and weird stuff is happening properly with Sonic, Tails and Amy.

Still, very engaged with what's going on now. I like how the Trap Tower is kind of creepy but in a interesting and unique way, to Eggman's lack of style making the houses look like big blocks to the stupid little dolls inspired by the Adventure dummies, and the fusion badniks, it's not just playing creepy straight, but instead taking other concepts from the series and playing them in different ways.

In general though, Evan just has the characters written to a tee though. As much complaining as I have that Tangle and Belle's part is kind of boring, barring a few moments of interaction, the chemistry she has for Sonic, Tails and Amy and how they play off each other is just too good. I loved when Tails piped out the explanation of what's the difference between a theory and a hypothesis, plus geeking out over the tech Eggman managed to build, meanwhile, Sonic has zero idea what he's talking about, and Amy can only just get the bare details from it. That was fun.

I'm remaining cautiously optimistic. The Chao Races arc also had a very strong start but quickly began to lose pace towards the end of Part 3 and Part 4, but so far, I'm really digging this. I hope Evan keeps up the trippy and unique visuals and plot ideas until the arc's end.

• Thumbs Up 5

22 hours ago, Silvereyes said:

Wonder if the issue might be that Sega isn't that interested in collaborating with American franchises? I mean, unless TMNT, Transformers, MLP are big in Japan, I wonder if it just might be Sega doesn't see the reason or value to do a collaboration with those. Compared to Mega Man which is a Japanese franchise essentially made by a contemporary in their industry.

I'm not sure if it's Sega who doesn't want to do a crossover or if IDW is trying to find a specific time to do a crossover for the Sonic comics.  Whatever the reason is, I just hope that we get some kind of crossover with other properties soon.

6 hours ago, EmTiven01 said:

Here's another IDW license Sonic could do a crossover with: Godzilla.

Yeah that's not going to happen. Toho is really strict with what can and can't happen with Godzilla and they want no crossovers at all. Ironic considering the first vs movie was a Crossover but whatever. 

I will admit I could be wrong since they did do that Magic the Gathering crossover so maybe things have changed. 

On 4/3/2021 at 9:43 AM, SBR2 said:

Yeah that's not going to happen. Toho is really strict with what can and can't happen with Godzilla and they want no crossovers at all. Ironic considering the first vs movie was a Crossover but whatever. 

I will admit I could be wrong since they did do that Magic the Gathering crossover so maybe things have changed. 

Well that sucks.

Sorry for bringing up Samurai Jack for the millionth time but do you think it would be good crossover material for Sonic?

36 minutes ago, EmTiven01 said:

Well that sucks.

Sorry for bringing up Samurai Jack for the millionth time but do you think it would be good crossover material for Sonic?

Uh, in terms of going in whatever wacked out adventure the future happens to deliver this time, sure maybe.

But if you mean Sonic joining Jack's quest to defeat Aku, who may have allied up with Eggman, probably  no 

Here's hoping there's no crossovers at all. In a world where Space Jam, Ready Player One, etc etc all exist, I think there's been more than enough crossovers to last us over a decade. Let a property or comic exist by itself.

5 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Uh, in terms of going in whatever wacked out adventure the future happens to deliver this time, sure maybe.

But if you mean Sonic joining Jack's quest to defeat Aku, who may have allied up with Eggman, probably  no 

What's wrong with the latter scenario?

1 hour ago, EmTiven01 said:

What's wrong with the latter scenario?

Uh, the inherent clash between tone and power scaling, not to mention character motivation?

51 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Uh, the inherent clash between tone and power scaling, not to mention character motivation?

How do they clash exactly?

4 hours ago, EmTiven01 said:

How do they clash exactly?

While Jack may or may not be able to have some sorta neat moments with Sonic aside from just not being able to keep up with him, Eggman and Aku is definitely a pair that sounds fun at face value, but would probably end explosively in practice considering their differences in level.

38 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

While Jack may or may not be able to have some sorta neat moments with Sonic aside from just not being able to keep up with him, Eggman and Aku is definitely a pair that sounds fun at face value, but would probably end explosively in practice considering their differences in level.

Alya would trounce Eggman and just laugh off any ideas for a partnership, saying the best Eggman would get is to know his place as a small level lackey 

3 minutes ago, Leebo4 said:

Alya would trounce Eggman and just laugh off any ideas for a partnership, saying the best Eggman would get is to know his place as a small level lackey 

Hm, well she does have the Ladyblog...